• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underrated Michael Jackson songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH MY GOD I AGREE SO MUCH!

I actually read once there is a possibility for it to be officially released, like the Xscape tracks. That would kill me.

It's one of the tracks on the 25th anniversary Bad cd (the multi disc version), unless you want it jazzed up ala the Xscape release (demos and altered mixes).

The premise of this topic is insane, it's just about every MJ song that isn't a well known hit.

The HIStory album is my pick, just look at this thread. Nearly every song from the second half of the album is posted here, but not many people mention these songs when you bring up MJ.

Scream
Stranger in Moscow
2 Bad
Money
Earth Song
Childhood
Tabloid Junkie
HIStory
Little Susie

Then you have his covers.

Smile
Come Together

I think the only songs left are You Are Not Alone (which is an obvious hit) and This Time Around (which I'm not personally a fan of).

EDIT: Oh I forgot about D.S., ehhhhhh, it's not bad.

LifEndz

Off the wall aka the greatest Michael Jackson song.

Ftfy, and so this. Don't tell me you don't get goosebumps when he says "tonight...gonna leave that 9 to five up on the shelf and just enjoy yourself." Life ain't so bad at all....pure epicness. RIP to the greatest entertainer ever.

dakun

The premise of this topic is insane, it's just about every MJ song that isn't a well known hit.

you're right.. there are way too many to list so you might just say all of them.. i don't know many other artists where i like to listen to more than 2-3 songs off one album.. with his albums the ratio of what i listen to vs. what i don't is almost always close to 80%-100% of his albums content which i would listen to any time of the day.

the guy was a genius, and it's really no wonder he took about 5 years and around a hundred demos for potential songs for each new solo album

it's crazy to say this because he's no.1 in many lists and his albums and concerts broke records.. but he's still so very underrated as an entertainer (singer, dancer, songwriter etc) by the general population. You only ever hear of the white gloved Moonwalking Michael Jackson. the guy who apparently was only going downhill creatively after Thriller, always chasing his peak in the early 80s. It's just such a ridiculous misconception about his creative genius in the second part of his life.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Streetwalker (Bad 25th anniversary)
Blood On The Dance Floor
She Drives Me Wild
Speed Demon
Get on the floor
Ghosts
Why You wanna trip on me

and so many more that i can't think off the top of my head

Frog-fu

Banned
This pleases me endlessly.
Code:
[IMG]http://111.imagebam.com/download/0Zly0SFY5JJ8mNllUzYFOA/40045/400445168/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-29%20at%2015.12.37.png[/IMG]

Gameboy415

!!!

Agreed, that's what I was gonna post. The video serves fierce too with Janet. Probably his best music video (though Billy Jean is his best song imo)

nJYbhCG.gif

Man, I'll never forget watching the world premiere of this video on the news with my parents back when I was 12 - it blew my young mind! :)

Yes! I was going to post this one myself - it's one of my all-time favorite MJ/Jacksons songs. :D
(The 'Michael Jackson's Vision' DVD set that video is from is INCREDIBLE btw!)

I also really like Can You Feel It from The Jacksons. The video is pretty cool too! :)

There's quite a lot of MJ tracks I've stumbled upon in recent years that I never knew were quite as great as they are. I don't think there's a single album of his (post late 70s) that I don't enjoy. Choice songs are:

For All Time (from Thriller 25th anniversary)
I see this track as like a sequel or alternative to Human Nature, has a great tune and chilled feel.

Streetwalker (from Bad 25)
Another one I didn't see coming, really really like the chorus when this one gets going.

Tabloid Junkie
Probably my favourite track from HIStory bar none. Very very infectious chorus.

Give in to Me
This is a great rock track, couldn't believe how solid this was when I first heard it, great tune and atmosphere, plus Slash.

Heal the World
Don't know how underrated this one really is, but I don't see it mentioned too much in 'best MJ song' discussions. It's always about the tunes and this one knocked me for six when I first heard it, no matter how cheesy!

That'll do it for now :)

FiggyCal

Banned
Is Scream with Janet underrated? If not then it doesn't matter anyway, that's a great song.

I don't know if most of what is posted is actually underrated. Maybe he has a few songs people never hear, but the people who hear them probably really like it. But evidently, Scream with 40 million+ views on youtube is extremely popular and rated highly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A lot of Got To Be There is pretty underrated, honestly. Michael's Motown stuff probably doesn't get the credit it deserves sometimes.

Dirty Diana.

MJ shut up his critics that he's only a pop sensation, and showed how rock is done.

Edit: Dangerous. How many of you actually listened to the song and watched this video?

facelike

The Jacksons' Triumph album. I believe it was done between Off The Wall and Thriller or right before Off The Wall. Mostly written by Michael but a couple of his brothers helped on some songs.

Stand outs include Lovely One: https://youtu.be/ir7jUd8Vjh4

The Jacksons - Everybody [Audio HQ] HD: https://youtu.be/IMhmPCZcHLE

The Jacksons- Walk Right Now: https://youtu.be/UiMuecKZQQQ

And of course
This Place Hotel (a.k.a. Heartbreak Hotel): https://youtu.be/oYkjgMdsUXQ

Great body of work and it was at the start of his "golden era" but lost behind Triller and his success there.

Frog-fu

Banned
This thread is making me wonder if MJ has ever made a bad song? Like, for the life of me, I can't think of one. Like, not all of them are great, but that's by MJ standards.

This thread is making me wonder if MJ has ever made a bad song? Like, for the life of me, I can't think of one. Like, not all of them are great, but that's by MJ standards.

2000 watts is kinda bad IMO. the beat is good but the chorus was tacky. morphine off of his blood on the dancer floor EP isn't too hot either but i love the bridge. Michael had a tendency to make songs slower than they should've been because both of these would be better at faster tempos.

i think the presence of his voice alone prevents anything from being flat out bad though.

this whole album is underrated as hell:
Mjforever.JPG

don't think that I could consider anything from Thriller underrated. that whole album is familiar to a huge chunk of the world. also, Dangerous is my favourite MJ album and there are a few underrated tracks on there (basically a lot of the non-single tracks). I feel like HIStory and Invincible (especially Invincible) also have a few underrated tracks. of course there are all of his B-Sides as well.
Rock With You is an awesome track.
this is my favourite MJ track of all time, but i don't think that i could call it underrated. everyone loves this song, haha.

Docpan

Sunset Driver! It was never released and it's great. Pretty sure it was recorded for Off the Wall.

Blood on the Dance Floor. Comes from a remix album of the same name, mostly shitty dance remix of the HIStory album but this one stands the test of time.

Monkey Business. Unreleased recording from Dangerous. It's fun.

Butterflies. Written by TaTu I think, for the Invincible album. Had a shitty music video. This album was dead in the water after the initial world premier of Rock My World. But Butterflies is a great song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom