• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underrated Michael Jackson songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docpan

Whenever I hear "Another Part of Me" nearly didn't make the Bad album...man...such a great track.

Michael didn't want it there. He wanted Street Walker instead. Understandably so-- Another Part of Me was a song that came from his Captain EO recordings so it was in contrast to his intentions for the Bad album.

Street Walker evolved into Dangerous, the song.

And Michael was done with Quincy Jones for production after this.

Sunset Driver! It was never released and it's great. Pretty sure it was recorded for Off the Wall.

Blood on the Dance Floor. Comes from a remix album of the same name, mostly shitty dance remix of the HIStory album but this one stands the test of time.

Monkey Business. Unreleased recording from Dangerous. It's fun.

Butterflies. Written by TaTu I think, for the Invincible album. Had a shitty music video. This album was dead in the water after the initial world premier of Rock My World. But Butterflies is a great song

Probably because Michael said this about Sony (in 2002) and they stopped promoting the album afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfG-V7tE_bI

SegaShack

Sunset Driver! It was never released and it's great. Pretty sure it was recorded for Off the Wall.

Blood on the Dance Floor. Comes from a remix album of the same name, mostly shitty dance remix of the HIStory album but this one stands the test of time.

Monkey Business. Unreleased recording from Dangerous. It's fun.

Butterflies. Written by TaTu I think, for the Invincible album. Had a shitty music video. This album was dead in the water after the initial world premier of Rock My World. But Butterflies is a great song

Great choices but just wanted to point out that Monkey Business and Sunset Driver did get released in Michael's lifetime.

Malajax

I really liked Threatened, but never see much about it. I only got Invincible after he died, but this last track is something else. It's definitely emulating Thriller, but it's also there to say "Watch your back. I'm not done yet". So it's just a shame that Threatened is the end note of his living career. He could have had another decade in him and was clearly prepping for his big comeback, and then he dies.

Makes me really sad when I think about what could have been.

Majestad

Banned
I really liked Threatened, but never see much about it. I only got Invincible after he died, but this last track is something else. It's definitely emulating Thriller, but it's also there to say "Watch your back. I'm not done yet". So it's just a shame that Threatened is the end note of his living career. He could have had another decade in him and was clearly prepping for his big comeback, and then he dies.

Yeah, is a damn shame. After threatened, MJ was probably gonna do something like HIStory, filled with angry and personal songs. I really would love to hear what he created from 2001 until 2009.

SegaShack

The songs from the end of his livong career are the last 5 tracks of 2004s Ultimate Collection. Those were recorded in the early 2000s. They are brilliant too and much better than what got put on Invincible.

ASIS

This thread is making me wonder if MJ has ever made a bad song? Like, for the life of me, I can't think of one. Like, not all of them are great, but that's by MJ standards.

This time around and I can't let her get away. Can't stand these two tracks. But the one that takes the cake is Privacy, give it a listen and try to say you find any redeeming quality in that one.

Nevertheless, the man had a 40 year career so bad ones are imminent.

Anyway, my pick for his most underrated song is Is It Scary, but I can't help but smile to all the Stranger in Moscow mentions :)

This time around and I can't let her get away. Can't stand these two tracks. But the one that takes the cake is Privacy, give it a listen and try to say you find any redeeming quality in that one.

Anyway, my pick for his most underrated song is Is It Scary, but I can't help but smile to all the Stranger in Moscow mentions :)

yea privacy is his legit worst song. forgot about that.

Majestad

Banned

This Time Around is great. Both Michael and Biggie killed that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom