• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother! elicits boos and cheers at the Venice Film Festival

Eylos

Banned
"Mother! premiered at the Venice Film Festival to a mix of boos and wild applause: which means it's guaranteed to be one of the most interesting films of the year.

The film reached its first screening under a tight veil of secrecy, scant on plot descriptions and with a smattering of enigmatic posters and trailers; written and directed by Darren Aronofsky, it stars Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem as a couple whose quaint existence is brutally interrupted by the arrival of uninvited guests.

Multiple attendees at the Venice press screening have reported a mixed reaction of audible boos and cheers to the film, and the first smatterings of opinions reaching the internet have proved divisive.

There has certainly been praise aplenty, with The Telegraph's Robbie Collin stating that "my insides have turned to porridge". Others have named it "breathtaking", with The Hollywood Reporter's early review declaring it "a very Rosemary’s Baby-like intimate horror tale".

But mother! hasn't won everyone over. Variety named it "a baroque nightmare that’s about nothing but itself", while on Twitter it was called a "mess" and a "self-referential, near ridiculous trip".

You can find out for yourself when mother! hits UK cinemas 15 September."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-trailer-jennifer-lawrence-plot-a7930191.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/20...jennifer-lawrences-top-secret-horror-elicits/

Its usual to Boo in movie festivals?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Cannes critics can be freaking savage.

"Fuck you, Liv!"

Supposedly someone yelled that at the Dedicated To title card during Neon Demon. Liv is the director's wife

Maridia

Are any sites doing in depth Venice coverage? My usual suspects don't seem to be there. Of course, it would be impossible to find on the redesigned AVClub site, anyway.

chekhonte

I really don't expect anything from Aa\ronovsky anymore. I don't expect anything better than The Fountain and I didn't like that movie at all.

drowsy

For what it's worth, the movie has ten reviews listed on Rottentomatoes, all positive, with an average rating of 9/10. That's bound to go down some once more reviews come in, but there's really no indications that the movie is anything less than great.

Odoul

Movie looks interesting so I hope it's decent.

All the reviews slurped up It Comes At Night. And I'm still pissed I wasted a day off on that hunk of garbage.

Hype as fuck for whatever trippy horror film I'll be watching next week. This and IT in back to back weeks is such a treat for horror fans.

As expected, I've been told the last act is real winner. Can't wait to see it, and it's playing at my cinema too, so I can see it for free, thank you review card.

Even if he fails, Aronofsky's usually succeeds in making something interesting.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hearing Rosemary's baby quotes is worse when you realize that Darren Aronofsky signed the "Free Roman Polanski" pledge.

Bronx-Man

Banned
These film festivals act so snooty, when in reality they're the WrestleMania of the film industry. Buncha drunk smarks booing everything they think they're smarter than, only these people can do it in French & occasionally Italian.

After Noah my faith (hur) in Aronofsky has surely wavered. Kind of expecting this to be Neon Demon-esque. Which I guess isn't totally a bad thing? Shrug.

Rupetta

Venice and Cannes are known for boos and heckling. I still remember the reports from Pulp Fiction's screening lol..,

also legendary "Cannes reaction to "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" was somewhat noteworthy in the sense that the heckling boos didn’t occur when the movie finished, but happened often throughout the entire course of the movie. Some members of the audience left the theatre in disgust, including Quentin Tarantino" (indiewire)

crustikid

Never was totally into Aronofsky, but after hearing about the Satoshi Kon Perfect Blue allegations, I have a hard time really appreciating the guy. Mother! trailer does look wicked good, so maybe that'll change for me? I guess he owns to the rights to Perfect Blue so he can do what he wants with it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
These film festivals act so snooty, when in reality they're the WrestleMania of the film industry. Buncha drunk smarks booing everything they think they're smarter than, only these people can do it in French & occasionally Italian.

It's not a good film

It's not a bad film

It's THEE FILM

bebop242

Never was totally into Aronofsky, but after hearing about the Satoshi Kon Perfect Blue allegations, I have a hard time really appreciating the guy. Mother! trailer does look wicked good, so maybe that'll change for me? I guess he owns to the rights to Perfect Blue so he can do what he wants with it.

Never heard about his connection to Perfect Blue. Will have to Google.

Havent particularly liked his stuff since Requiem (kinda liked Black Swan and that fighter movie)

EGM1966

Sounds divisive. Terrific. Love that. No idea if I'll like or loathe it but I'll always give my time and money to creative risks that dare to be divisive. Well if I trust the creative team that is: as I do here.

Top Bottom