• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorcycle controller

royale

So I've been thinking about buying Tourist Trophy for the longest time, but I've been holding back because it seems to me it'll be just like playing GT4 on 2 wheels by using a normal controller if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I found one of these:

19-7999lg.jpg

Has anyone tried one of these and does it 'enhance' the playability/enjoyment of a motorbike game?

Burger

Depends if it works like a real motorcycle (counter-steering), and has a good, variable amount of resistance to the bars. I mean when turning into a fast left, you'd want to push hard on the left side of the bars, feel them stiffen up etc.

Somehow I doubt you'd get any of that.

royale

OK here's another question. I may not buy that controller and get the game anyway,but do you think Tourist Trophy is the most accurate motorcycle sim on the market? Just talking physics wise, I know its shit for actual "Racing" assuming its exactly like GT4. I was incredibly bored with GT4 after playing GT's 1-3. Just the whole 'Sim-mode' and how everything is setup it became really tedious and monotonous. Would you say Tourist Trophy is the same way?

Also, will it become a Greatest Hit anytime soon? Ya I'm a cheapass, TT is only going for $40 CDN, but if it drops to a GH I'll pick it for sure.

royale said:
So I've been thinking about buying Tourist Trophy for the longest time, but I've been holding back because it seems to me it'll be just like playing GT4 on 2 wheels by using a normal controller if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I found one of these:

19-7999lg.jpg

Has anyone tried one of these and does it 'enhance' the playability/enjoyment of a motorbike game?

My guess is that wont work. You dont steer using the wheel on an actual bike, you use your weight.

Grayman

<<I loved TT(but i'm a huge GT fan)

About the controls though they aren't advanced enough for a bike controller to do anything.

You press the stick right to turn right. Leaning and everything is done automatically.

you can lean forwards and backwards independantly and tuck(hold l2 or something). The game takes some liberties much like GT does.

Hitting the gas really hard will never make you wheelie(you have to lean back) and hitting the brakes without leaning forward will never make the back wheel leave the ground. For some reason they decided the back brake should actually be used to stop the bike.

I think the game is more fun to do hotlaps in than gt is but the racing isn't challenging from what i've experianced. there is one unreasonably hard challenge where you have to do a very near perfect lap, the rest of the game isn't hard.

jedimike

Fallout-NL said:
My guess is that wont work. You dont steer using the wheel on an actual bike, you use your weight.

Exactly. I mean the controller might work fine, but it's not going to behave one bit like real motorcycle controls. I'm assuming there is no counter-steering in the unit. For example to swerve on a motorcycle, you would turn the handlebars right to go left. But for a low speed turn, you would turn the handlebars left to go left.

Ranger X

royale said:
Just talking physics wise, I know its shit for actual "Racing" assuming its exactly like GT4. I was incredibly bored with GT4 after playing GT's 1-3. Just the whole 'Sim-mode' and how everything is setup it became really tedious and monotonous.

Yep. The driving physics are mighty excellent but the actual racing is lacking -- exactly like GT4.
I suppose you'll get bored of Tourist Trophy just like GT4 because it's suck a copy-paste of a game that even the menus are almost the same.

royale

Fallout-NL said:

Have you ridden a motocycle before? There is something called counter-steering, leaning exclusively will not make you turn better. You don't actually turn the handlebars the way you would think to go where you want.

Push handle bar to the right = lean/turn right
Push handle bar to the left = lean/turn left

Also, a lot of what sets motocycle rider apart from driving is the twisting of the throttle, that is all lost with digital buttons.

How does MotoGP for xbox360 compare? Analog triggers does make it a bit better but from what I hear the triggers are mapped to braking. Is the right analog used for throttle? Of course, I don't have a xbox360 or xbox for that matter. Anyone play motogp on the PC? Which version is best? Motogp 3 just came out a while ago I think, is that the same as the xbox360 game?

royale

jedimike said:
Exactly. I mean the controller might work fine, but it's not going to behave one bit like real motorcycle controls. I'm assuming there is no counter-steering in the unit. For example to swerve on a motorcycle, you would turn the handlebars right to go left. But for a low speed turn, you would turn the handlebars left to go left.

Ya that's a good point, counter-steering wouldn't be mapped properly anyway but still operating the throttle/brake on it would be better than digital buttons.

royale said:
Have you ridden a motocycle before? There is something called counter-steering, leaning exclusively will not make you turn better. You don't actually turn the handlebars the way you would think to go where you want.

Push handle bar to the right = lean/turn right
Push handle bar to the left = lean/turn left

I own a Ducati Monster at the moment, so yeah. But I must say I never consciously do anything with the handle bars. I shift my weight to get the bike at the right angle, hit the gass, and take the corner.

So elaborate a little bit more on this 'counter steering' :D.

/edit: found this. http://www.vsa.cape.com/~wayg/mrep/pics/csteer.mpg

why would you want to do this?

/edit2: hmm after reading up on it some more I guess I have been doing this sub-consciously.

royale

Fallout-NL said:
I own a Ducati Monster at the moment, so yeah. But I must say I never consciously do anything with the handle bars. I shift my weight to get the bike at the right angle, hit the gass, and take the corner.

Oh wow, how long have you been riding for? But yeah I suppose it occurs naturally for the most part, when put your weight to the right side of the bike you are actually causing the counter-steer affect by putting pressure on the right handle bar without actually know it. Try this next time you go out on your bike, inside of of pushing to turn right, pull on the left handle bar, it will induce a right-hand lean. Try conciously doing the push/pull method; "push-right, turn right" / "push-left, turn left". You can even try this going in a straight line going around 50Km/h or so, give little inputs to the handle bar and watch which way it goes.

Be warned though, ppl learning to counter-steer conciously tend to oversteer...be careful not too push too hard and run into the rhubarb :p

There is actually a huge debate on motorcycle counter-steering and its never settled so I don't really want to get into it now :lol

Google is your friend :p

royale

Fallout-NL said:

/edit: found this. http://www.vsa.cape.com/~wayg/mrep/pics/csteer.mpg

why would you want to do this?

Why would you do this? For dodging cagers my friend. When you have to make a quick evasion maneuver knowing how to counter-steer will save your left.

Imagine going down a residential street, a guy backing out of a driveway and you don't feel like leaning cause you're not really turning into a bend so you instead you turn your handlebars to dodge. Except you turn them the way opposite of where you think you should go, BAM! goodnight...broken bike, broken body.

royale

Fallout-NL said:
Ive been driving it for a year now. Very nice bike. And thnx for the tips, Ill give it a shot (carefully :p).

Man that's a nice bike to start on, i'm jealous :lol

I've just started 3 months ago myself, starting on a dinky FZR 250.

royale said:
Why would you do this? For dodging cagers my friend. When you have to make a quick evasion maneuver knowing how to counter-steer will save your left.

Imagine going down a residential street, a guy backing out of a driveway and you don't feel like leaning cause you're not really turning into a bend so you instead you turn your handlebars to dodge. Except you turn them the way opposite of where you think you should go, BAM! goodnight...broken bike, broken body.

Makes sense. Wouldnt want that to happen.

royale said:
Man that's a nice bike to start on, i'm jealous :lol

I've just started 3 months ago myself, starting on a dinky FZR 250.

Hehe, yeah Im lucky my dad is into bikes as well, so I bought it with him. Wouldnt have been able to afford it without him :).

And an FZR 250, thats a 4 cilinder 4 stroke bike right?

royale said:
Yup, 4 stroker...pretty gut-less, but man does it scream when you wind up to 18K redline :lol

Oh ya check out this vid : http://www.twistedlimit.com/cbr/Twistedlimit317.WMV

Looks like more of target fixation, panic braking situation though, but I'm sure he's pretty noobish and didn't know how to counter-steer properly.

Hehe, one shouldnt be driving a bike like that anyway :D.

And 18ks, thats a lot. A little like the new R6 huh, but without the HP's :).

Top Bottom