• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Ploid 3.0

Since it's about a festival it would probably be surrounded be some kind of rickedy ship with smaller ships in the middle of the ocean. 50ft waves in some races, huge storms, floating obstacles, and track direction/dressing? Hmm. For classes there would be jet skis, speed boats, small hovercraft?

"No dirt. Plenty of salt." Could be the slogan lol.

For it to be water, it would have to be a completely different game though. No traction, watery controls, classes, paths the different craft can take, that would be a lot to balance.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Since it's about a festival it would probably be surrounded be some kind of rickedy ship with smaller ships in the middle of the ocean. 50ft waves in some races, huge storms, floating obstacles, and track direction/dressing? Hmm. For classes there would be jet skis, speed boats, small hovercraft?

"No dirt. Plenty of salt." Could be the slogan lol.

For it to be water, it would have to be a completely different game though. No traction, watery controls, classes, paths the different craft can take, that would be a lot to balance.

Day flippin' one if that were to happen. Day flippin' one.

GodofWine

Well...I found my only complaint...

Hitting the select button to reset yourself on the track is way to lenient...I hate when Im behind two people who crash together, but they quickly reset themselves and basically keep going...I was behind 2 guys who must have crashed 3 times each but I couldn't pass them even though I was not crashing...

I can't find an official MSPR forum to complain on...so this will have to do.

Select needs to be for only when you are 100% stuck, and when you use it, you start from a stand still.

So I've been playing the demo...my game comes in on the 5th.

The graphics aren't that impressive so far, but the actual game is better?

The vehicles cannot seem to be able to turn at all. Is this something other people have been noticing?

Also, the game seems much more strict than Motorstorm 1. In Motorstorm 1, I can crash 3-4 times in a race and still get 1st. In the demo, if I crash once, I go from 1st to 13th. Is the racing this harsh in the game? It's really killing my enjoyment.

Overall, the demo seems like a step backwards from Motorstorm 1. I hope the game is much better.

EktorPR

vicissitudes said:

The vehicles cannot seem to be able to turn at all. Is this something other people have been noticing?

Also, the game seems much more strict than Motorstorm 1. In Motorstorm 1, I can crash 3-4 times in a race and still get 1st. In the demo, if I crash once, I go from 1st to 13th. Is the racing this harsh in the game? It's really killing my enjoyment.

Overall, the demo seems like a step backwards from Motorstorm 1. I hope the game is much better.

Just read the impressions found on this thread, man. Read 'em. :D

vicissitudes said:

Demo is a bit different than the rest of the game. Don't worry about it.

MotorStorm 2 is a phenomenal racer.

Best arcade racer I've ever played in fact. Feels like a grown up Mario Kart to me. So damn intense.

The graphics are stunning on the other tracks, especially the lighting.

GodofWine

vicissitudes said:
YOU WILL BE A HAPPY HAPPY PANDA

OH HELL YEA

YOU ARE DRIVING ON DIRT / SAND / MUD ETC, NOT ASPHALT, ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF THE HAND BRAKE / BOOST YOU CAN TURN PRETTY WELL BY FORCING A SPIN THEN BOOSTING OUT OF IT

ITS A LITTLE STRICTER ON BEING A GOOD DRIVER TO WIN, BUT THAT DEMO TRACK IS THE ONE TRACK MOST UNFORGIVING TO CRASHES, SINCE ITS PRETTY EASY MOST PEOPLE / AI BOTS WILL NOT CRASH

ITS AWESOME

IN BOLD

Ploid 3.0

I won't be able to join the awesomeness for a while :(

2h2no68.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just got around checking the online mode. Wow, impressive improvement over the bare-bones one in MS1. Party system, host migration, between-races set up, stats comparison at a glance, and online racing itself is soooo smooth (no lag, no odd opponents behaviors). Very impressed. Odd they removed the bar tracking distance between players. It was added via patch to MS1 IIRC. WHY? Oh well.

BeeDog

TTP said:
Just got around checking the online mode. Wow, impressive improvement over the bare-bones one in MS1. Party system, host migration, between-races set up, stats comparison at a glance, and online racing itself is soooo smooth (no lag, no odd opponents behaviors). Very impressed. Odd they removed the bar tracking distance between players. It was added via patch to MS1 IIRC. WHY? Oh well.

I'll repeat what Mr. Negativity has asked several times: can you host online tournaments like in let's say WipEout HD?

jett

D-Member
BeeDog said:
I'll repeat what Mr. Negativity has asked several times: can you host online tournaments like in let's say WipEout HD?

Everyone refuses to answer it. I wonder what the fuck is up with that.

GodofWine

I see no option to make a tournament online...having played many hours of ranked races..I see no need for it either...its really quite remarkable

Dante

jett said:
Everyone refuses to answer it. I wonder what the fuck is up with that.

Here ya go:

NO!

:)

Actually I haven't tried to create a game yet, so who knows if the option is there.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Argh, been playing this all day and ow my fingers are all sweaty and falling off these damn triggers. Whoever designed these... whats wrong with you. Were you touched as a child.

Just wanted to comment on how awesome this game is. I expected the sequel to just be a bigger and better version of the first game but this just blows the original out of the water. I'm super impressed and I haven't even played every level or tried online yet. Shame how overlooked this game is.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
FirewalkR said:
Totally unbelievable lighting.

(btw i mean unbelievable in a good way)

Every now and again, this game - and I'm not exagerating - looks like a CG trailer. The visuals are MIND BLOWING.

wouwie

I was wondering, since i didn't play the original, was there any demand for a replay option after the first one? Am i the only one who thinks that this game would be ideal for some spectacular replays?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
wouwie said:
I was wondering, since i didn't play the original, was there any demand for a replay option after the first one? Am i the only one who thinks that this game would be ideal for some spectacular replays?

I personally asked the devs. They told me theres too much physics going on to allow a replay feature.

Which was a bs answer IMO. There are plenty of physics heavy games with such an option. Heck, you can even rewind in Grid.

Ranger X

TTP said:
I personally asked the devs. They told me theres too much physics going on to allow a replay feature.

Which was a bs answer IMO. There are plenty of physics heavy games with such an option. Heck, you can even rewind in Grid.

I'm sure there's wayyyyyyyyyyy less physics and AI calculations in GRID though.

jett

D-Member
TTP said:

I don't get it. Replays are just files that remember the keystrokes you made. Maybe they randomize the crash effects or something? Meh.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm enjoying this game enough that I am extremely compelled to pick up Motorstorm 1 now. Is the addition of all the DLC and patches enough to warrant a look?

I finally got this game and had a chance to play it this morning for a couple minutes. Very premature first impressions are that the graphics are great, but it is going to take a long time for me to get used to the controls. I was playing the first "Earth" level with an ATV and I just couldn't stop crashing and finding myself bogged down in the water. Once I switched to the dune buggy I was able to get first place on my first try, though. I guess I just need to relearn what terrain is good for what vehicle.

Well I was either going to get this or Resistance 2. But after reading some of the impressions in the R2 thread I am pretty sure Motorstorm: PR is a better choice. I never played the first one though, and I vaguely remember the original. Some of the problems I remember are the rubber band AI and lack of track variety. Is it safe to say these issues are resolved? I've spent WAY, WAY to much on games lately and I really want a new PS3 game but it has to last.....

Also, is there spilt-screen??

TTP said:

In M1 they said there was way too much going on to allow splitscreen multiplayer...

EktorPR

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Well I was either going to get this or Resistance 2. But after reading some of the impressions in the R2 thread I am pretty sure Motorstorm: PR is a better choice. I never played the first one though, and I vaguely remember the original. Some of the problems I remember are the (1) rubber band AI and (2) lack of track variety. Is it safe to say these issues are resolved? I've spent WAY, WAY to much on games lately and I really want a new PS3 game but it has to last.....

Also, (3) is there spilt-screen??

1) Virtually non-existant, unless you're in last place.

2) Definitely resolved, and in spectacular manner. :D

3) Yes, there is. 4-player, even.

Elios83

TTP said:

Maybe it's because of the way they handle crashes phisics.
If there is some random element in the way vehicles blow up it might be hard to have a replay showing the same exact crashes unless they save a lot of datas for replays during actual races and that would take too much resources. Just a guess of course.

ah thats so good to hear, I will definitely be picking this up today then! Can't wait, haven't played a good arcade racing game in awhile. (I didn't care for Grid or burnout paradise)

The thing that really gets me excited is the comparisons to the old sega rally games, etc.

DCharlie

Banned
looks like a CG trailer. The visuals are MIND BLOWING.

it's weird - i was digging the jungle races, and the ones in the red glow with the mist rolling

but the level that got me, the one that made me utter the "Fudge me" was , strangely, the rocky level in daylight.

there is a longish stretch where it's just clear blue sky and the rocky rolling beneath you and i had a sense for a good few seconds that i could be there.

the lighting is so perfectly nailed and for a good stretch there was nothing that could give it away (hud excused!) to most people that this wasn't rolling footage of some dude in a buggy racing across some harsh post-volcanic rocky hell (i play with the car cam rather than behind the car too, which for me is how MS2 needs to be played!)

Added to that is the sound - i've a pretty kickass sound set up and the noise and roar of MS2 really adds to the addrenaliine rush of it all.

hubbahubba MS2. <3 <3

DCharlie said:
it's weird - i was digging the jungle races, and the ones in the red glow with the mist rolling

but the level that got me, the one that made me utter the "Fudge me" was , strangely, the rocky level in daylight.

there is a longish stretch where it's just clear blue sky and the rocky rolling beneath you and i had a sense for a good few seconds that i could be there.

the lighting is so perfectly nailed and for a good stretch there was nothing that could give it away (hud excused!) to most people that this wasn't rolling footage of some dude in a buggy racing across some harsh post-volcanic rocky hell (i play with the car cam rather than behind the car too, which for me is how MS2 needs to be played!)

Added to that is the sound - i've a pretty kickass sound set up and the noise and roar of MS2 really adds to the addrenaliine rush of it all.

hubbahubba MS2. <3 <3

I think I just played the level that you are talking about. I was blown away by that as well. I came over the ridge and then saw the expanse of space below me and I just smiled. One time I got hung up on one of the rocks and flipped the whole way down the hill. I couldn't help but laugh :)

wouwie

DCharlie said:
i play with the car cam rather than behind the car too, which for me is how MS2 needs to be played!

I agree: the car cam is what makes Motorstorm so much fun. However, there is one problem: there aren't any rear view mirrors and you can't see who's on the left and right side (unless you switch camera) either. So you can only see who's in front.

This isn't a problem in the earlier ranks. However, i'm on the 5th rank now and i have the impression that the AI is putting in a lot more effort to bump into me. The problem with the car cam is that you can never tell if that's the case and you can't do anything about it because you don't know where they are, especially if they are behind you. It's becoming quite frustrating.

I wish there was a real cockpit view with rear view mirrors.

DCharlie

Banned
yeah, i've had a few races where one of the bigger trucks has just came up from behind and straight up rolled over my buggy.

It's fun at the moment as it doesn't happen so often (but i'm only at rank 4 or something)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Maybe I'm retarded but how do you use custom soundtracks? There aren't any options in the audio section as far as I can tell. At the same time, when I pull up the XMB, none of the media servers that I have setup for my PS3 are available. And, trying to search for one kicks me back to the main PS3 screen.

Apologies if this has already been addressed but I went 2 pages back without any luck. Plus, I'm drunk and tired of searching. Help!!!

tribal24

Banned
Minotauro said:
Maybe I'm retarded but how do you use custom soundtracks? There aren't any options in the audio section as far as I can tell. At the same time, when I pull up the XMB, none of the media servers that I have setup for my PS3 are available. And, trying to search for one kicks me back to the main PS3 screen.

Apologies if this has already been addressed but I went 2 pages back without any luck. Plus, I'm drunk and tired of searching. Help!!!

music has to be on the hdd

Minotauro

tribal24 said:
music has to be on the hdd

The fuck? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard of. Jesus, I wish Sony would sort this shit out. The 360 has truly spoiled me on this front.

Minotauro

How do you even put music on the hard drive? Do I have to rip CDs one-by-one or can I just transfer my mp3s?

B33

Banned
Minotauro said:
How do you even put music on the hard drive? Do I have to rip CDs one-by-one or can I just transfer my mp3s?
Either way works. Depends upon your preference.

EktorPR

Holy fuck. I believe I'm in deep doo-doo, now.

You see, I made a copy of my save data earlier today, stupidly. After some heavy locking problems, I feared my PS3 was on its last days and decided to make a "back up" of my recent saved games. Now, the game won't even let me play it because there is an error initializing the trophy component. :(

I've deleted the save file, even deleted the Game Data Utility...and it still doesn't want to let me play the game. Shit, shit, shit. :(

Ploid 3.0

EktorPR said:

You see, I made a copy of my save data earlier today, stupidly. After some heavy locking problems, I feared my PS3 was on its last days and decided to make a "back up" of my recent saved games. Now, the game won't even let me play it because there is an error initializing the trophy component. :(

I've deleted the save file, even deleted the Game Data Utility...and it still doesn't want to let me play the game. Shit, shit, shit. :(

Whoa. A new reason to hate the whole trophy thing. I hope you get this figured out. Sorry.

Ranger X

EktorPR said:

Why don't you try deleting the trophies?

Top Bottom