• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Poigea said:
Do you have any experience with the first Motorstorm? Anyone who enjoyed that, will love this more.

I would say replayibility for me is somewhere from a 6-8. Its not a game I will sit down and sink hours and hours into at a time, but I keep coming back for short bursts everyday, even with all of the other great games that are out.

I am finding the online races to be the most fun for me. Nothing like squeaking out a victory by blowing up across the finish line. Think I am going to go play some right now...

Thanks Poigea. I never bought the original MS. I enjoyed the demo of the original but just never could push myself to spend $60 on it. However, it seems that many of the problems people had with the original have been worked out in Pacific Drift. I just really want to see how it looks on my 47in TV. Seeing some of the photos some of you have shown here makes my mouth water in anticipation.

Alan

Poigea

LovingSteam said:
Thanks Poigea. I never bought the original MS. I enjoyed the demo of the original but just never could push myself to spend $60 on it. However, it seems that many of the problems people had with the original have been worked out in Pacific Drift. I just really want to see how it looks on my 47in TV. Seeing some of the photos some of you have shown here makes my mouth water in anticipation.

Alan

Almost every negative from the first Motorstorm is gone IMO. The track design is way better, and there are plenty more of them too. Load times are decreased. All of the intense racing and carnage is in tact and ratcheted up a couple of levels too.

The graphics are pretty great, sometimes inconsistent, but overall very good. Just download some of those pictures, load them up and the PS3 and thats how Motorstorm looks. Might even look a little better in motion because of the blur.

roxya

I said earlier that I hated Sugar Rush but now I've actually played it online. Whoa. Makes for an... eventful race :D

Doc Evils

recently started this game. when I first played the first track I was like meh, but when I play the later tracks the size of the tracks and the foliage is really amazing. The graphics are top notch and the game is quite addictive.

Stillmatic

I picked this up a couple of days ago (PAL launch) and i'm loving it.

I was a huge fan of the original. Motorstorm 2 took a bit longer to get into as the vehicles felt a bit different to what i was used to, but after a few races i've adapted and the game is awesome.

The graphics didn't do much for me at first, but after getting past the initial tracks the visuals seem to ramp up. Some of the tracks look really amazing.

Pallaris

OK, this bullshit. Seems the rubberband AI is back big time once you hit the higher ranks.

Earth Zone, Rank 6, Razorback racing truck event... I've spent literally the last 2 hrs and so far it seems impossible to get gold cause no matter how far I'm ahead those big rig bastards just storm past on the last bend/straight. I once managed 2nd by fluke after respawning and driving through a huge cluster-fuck right after that last sharp turn in the cave, but the car in front seemed to have like 5 times the amount of boost as me.

This is M1 level of fucking ridiculous no doubt :( just stopped being fun for me.

jett

D-Member
Pallaris said:
OK, this bullshit. Seems the rubberband AI is back big time once you hit the higher ranks.

Earth Zone, Rank 6, Razorback racing truck event... I've spent literally the last 2 hrs and so far it seems impossible to get gold cause no matter how far I'm ahead those big rig bastards just storm past on the last bend/straight. I once managed 2nd by fluke after respawning and driving through a huge cluster-fuck right after that last sharp turn in the cave, but the car in front seemed to have like 5 times the amount of boost as me.

This is M1 level of fucking ridiculous no doubt :( just stopped being fun for me.

My eventual MS2 purchase has been cancelled forever. Thanks for the warning. It's too bad the tardbuckets at Evolution are incapable of developing decent A.I. and instead have to resort to this shit. AGAIN.

Alidar

Neo Member
Pallaris said:

I'm only silver in that same race too. I can get silver/bronzes without much difficulty. It's that final curve that really kills me - going on the right side I have to do a sharp turn and slow down. Going left and over the ramp increases my distance too much. A big rig always overtakes me during that stretch. I can catch it no problem shortly after the finish line, but obviously that's too late.

The eliminator event that one unlocks is annoying as hell too, for similar reasons - you're on the bike and racing all monster trucks. It's another case of the bike having to take the outside route and the monster truck speeding along the inner mud route when there's only two left. I can overtake it after the jump without much trouble, but again that's too late.

So far those are the only two annoying ones in trying to get all gold (but at least I can get a silver), but I'm not even done trying all the level 6 races yet.

Doc Evils

4q0bw2.jpg

2wgcf43.jpg

eqavsz.jpg

1omumq.jpg

2i9dah.jpg

hryplg.jpg

35lbwom.jpg

iwql2r.jpg

So thanks to your recommendations I picked this up today. It's fantastic although visually I am not as impressed as I thought it would be (jaggie heaven). Regardless of that, my wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed playing it for the last three hours. One thing, how many different maps are there? I don't just mean different tracks on the same map but literally different maps?

Alan

Poigea

LovingSteam said:
So thanks to your recommendations I picked this up today. It's fantastic although visually I am not as impressed as I thought it would be (jaggie heaven). Regardless of that, my wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed playing it for the last three hours. One thing, how many different maps are there? I don't just mean different tracks on the same map but literally different maps?

Alan

The 16 tracks are split between four zones, but each of the tracks are technically "unique" I think. Some just have similar settings, but they are all different from each other.

Lurchio

Great game,anyone know why they didn't add the option to watch a replay after a race?It's a shame because the game is gorgeous.

slider

DenogginizerOS said:
Is there a night designated to GAFfers meeting up and playing online? If not, let's make one!

I think there still isn't an official meet-up thread in the Online/Mathc-up forum.

:(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
slider said:
I think there still isn't an official meet-up thread in the Online/Mathc-up forum.

:(
Well, let's talk about it in here.

1) What is a good night for people to meet? We can obviously meet every night, but it is always good to have one night where a higher concentration of people can meet. For example, we have Gears night on Wednesdays.

2) Time zones. If we settle on one time, maybe it can be at least 9EST so west coasters can get on.

slider

Yeah good idea. But sometimes meet-up discussions gets lost in the gameplay/gfx talk.

Oh well, I'll contribute something rather than being a Negative Nora.

Any night is good for me, but I'd prefer weekends, and I'm GMT. I'll see what others post and try to make sure I'm around (although currently I haven't played more than 15 minutes so will need some polishing up!).

Cheers.

quetz67

Banned
Pallaris said:

People complaining about rubberband "AI" dont think far enough.

AI isnt about the opponents being especially fast from start to finish, which some might interpret as "smart" but which is as much or less cheating as rubberbanding.

AI is about how good the opponents can mimick the human player and drive using the same "rules" which in case of Motorstorm means working with the same phyisics and trying to make the best of it. Motorstorm is pretty hard to master for humans so must be AI pretty advanced too - which it is.

But this advanced AI has one problem the developers just cant solve. The AI drivers are prone to the same luck and bad luck as the player. Thats fine in easy and medium difficulties, you are just happy to beat an AI driver which made some stupid mistake or just crashed unlucky.

But in hard mode the developers dont want you just try as often until the AI is unlucky. They want you to drive perfectly to win. So they MUST make the AI cheat. You just shouldnt care. If your opponents catches you in the last bend you havent been trying hard enough. In the end it is the same as in a less physics based racer where your oppenents may lead from the beginning to the end because you just didnt find the ideal line.

I am not a very good player but I beat MS1 so there is a way and I am sure it is the same for MS2.

Pallaris

quetz67 said:
People complaining about rubberband "AI" dont think far enough.

AI isnt about the opponents being especially fast from start to finish, which some might interpret as "smart" but which is as much or less cheating as rubberbanding.

AI is about how good the opponents can mimick the human player and drive using the same "rules" which in case of Motorstorm means working with the same phyisics and trying to make the best of it. Motorstorm is pretty hard to master for humans so must be AI pretty advanced too - which it is.

But this advanced AI has one problem the developers just cant solve. The AI drivers are prone to the same luck and bad luck as the player. Thats fine in easy and medium difficulties, you are just happy to beat an AI driver which made some stupid mistake or just crashed unlucky.

But in hard mode the developers dont want you just try as often until the AI is unlucky. They want you to drive perfectly to win. So they MUST make the AI cheat. You just shouldnt care. If your opponents catches you in the last bend you havent been trying hard enough. In the end it is the same as in a less physics based racer where your oppenents may lead from the beginning to the end because you just didnt find the ideal line.

I am not a very good player but I beat MS1 so there is a way and I am sure it is the same for MS2.

This is different. If they drove just as well as I could it'd be a tight finish. But, no matter how far ahead you are they always magically appear up your arse in the final stretches and can boost for considerably longer distances. I've done this track over 100 times now without making any mistakes (driving pretty much the best route for my vehicle with good tight lines) and no crashes and still I have the same issue.

Flunkie

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

1) What is a good night for people to meet? We can obviously meet every night, but it is always good to have one night where a higher concentration of people can meet. For example, we have Gears night on Wednesdays.

2) Time zones. If we settle on one time, maybe it can be at least 9EST so west coasters can get on.
Tuesdays and 9EST sounds good.

ilikeme

Game is really fun! I'm sad I'm playing on an SDtv though and have no internet access :p I've been playing with the motorbike a lot! It's sweet jumping around and turning like crazy watching for everyone else. So intense! I'll post some pics of the bike later.

The extras for the game are sad though, slideshows? And I have no control either, just wait for those photos to come up, no fun. Or am I missing something?

G-Bus

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Is there a night designated to GAFfers meeting up and playing online? If not, let's make one!

I'm good to go any day of the week.

Just remember, it's a race for second. :lol

Poigea

DenogginizerOS said:

Mountain time zone here. I will try to make it, no day of the week is necessarily better for me.

tehbear

Finally got some friends over to try out some local multiplayer. Man I feel so blind cause I just cannot see shit with 1/4 of the screen. Only one of us could make out the track with any level of competency so needless to say he whupped all of us without much effort.

Single player wise it's all gravy though, many good tracks. I don't think there are any I hate, especially after learning it and knowing how to avoid cluttered areas. The increased sense of speed is nice, the mayhem is just as frantic.

Man, is it just me having a problem seeing the tracks in this game?

I can't make out most of them until it's too late. There is way too much debris in this game that causes your car to crash. Sometimes I'll pick the right route, be racing great, and then boom, my car flips because my left back bumper skidded a rock that I had no way of seeing. It's beyond frustrating.

Do people that play this game regularly just put up with this or somehow play enough to manage to avoid it? I'm about ready to smash my controller. The game is a great time when you're hitting the right path's and nailing the big jumps, but it just seems like way too much of the time my racing is affected by things I have no control over. Especially in online when jerks are always trying to run you over with the monster trucks. It just makes the game not fun. Wrecks shouldn't be so prevalent.

tehbear

CartridgeBlower said:

I can't make out most of them until it's too late. There is way too much debris in this game that causes your car to crash. Sometimes I'll pick the right route, be racing great, and then boom, my car flips because my left back bumper skidded a rock that I had no way of seeing. It's beyond frustrating.

Do people that play this game regularly just put up with this or somehow play enough to manage to avoid it? I'm about ready to smash my controller. The game is a great time when you're hitting the right path's and nailing the big jumps, but it just seems like way too much of the time my racing is affected by things I have no control over. Especially in online when jerks are always trying to run you over with the monster trucks. It just makes the game not fun. Wrecks shouldn't be so prevalent.

Seriously after racing on any track a few times you shouldn't be running into stuff anymore. Track memorization comes into play in many games, this is no exception.

As for wrecks, that's why this is motorstorm. Hitting is a big part of the game, and I say join in on the monster truckness and start smashing people to bits. It's also not exactly easy running down someone good on a car with your monster truck, and hell sometimes I even flip myself trying to run someone over.

Afrikan

CartridgeBlower said:

this is actually what I love about the game. If your driving one of the bigger trucks, you should knock over as much debris as possible onto the track when ever possible. What this does is it makes laps harder for smaller cars and bikes on the next lap...and gives you a chance to catch up......

I usually stick with Rally Cars....and sometimes the race trucks....but when using the Rally Cars, I have to be careful the second time around.... little objects like tires or wood or what ever can cause me to lose control of my car......Big Trucks on the other hand don't have to worry...they just drive right through it.......

there is a lot of strategy to this game....

Pallaris

Alright, that razorback rank6 racing even (racing truck) it's totally winnable (4 hrs and many, many retries later) here's how:

From the off you need to be in first place by the first left turn (take the high left route) powerside round and boost straight praying you don't get side rammed). Past this bit you have 3 route options. The left most route offers the best traction but it's a longer way round. The middle route is mainly mud and you lose seconds in the air with those jumps. The right most route is also muddy/slow but there's a crucial water pool for your boost meter and offers the tightest/quickest route around. Immediately after the pool of water power-slide and boost all the way right keeping as tight as you can before emerging into the open mud field. At this point you should still be in the lead... but 2nd/4th place isn't too bad either (the big rigs will breeze through the mud if they go middle)

I kept to the left over the big jump. Keep low and tight around the inside of the mountain.

From here basically avoid going right down the river as you'll slowdown too much and it's difficult to judge the turn down the first waterfall drop as you're back end will slide out too much. You literally need to slow right down to be able to negotiate with the right angle for the drop and by that point you would have lost too much ground.

Left route all the way..boost up the straight (saving some boost for a boost/powerslide right turn before the drop otherwise you slowdown too much, lack of traction here can hurt

*as a quick side, I've been able to get through the first lap in 1st place a couple times but don't worry if you're trailing too much by the end of lap one (lap 2 is fucking crucial tho) cause the AI will fuck up as random physics stuff comes into play so there's still a chance if you can at least see the leading pack)*

(lap 2) At this point you need to be minimum 2nd place as you drop into the cave. Now watch and pray the 1st place AI goes left over the ramps (they'll take the sharp turn flawlessly otherwise) which will buy you some time.

When you hit the floor boost down that that initial stretch towards the sharp turn (try to use only half your boost before turning) Now, You really need to fuckin nail the sharp turn otherwise you're toast. Simple as. This is incredibly fucking difficult to do especially if the big rigs have caused a cluster fuck in lap one (near this turn is a destructible pillar, who's debris can cause an instant crash/roll -all over). You need to emerge tight fast/enough (use a little handbrake if need be) so that the nose of your car immediately (or soon after) hits the water stream. This water stream is key for the win.. straighten up and providing you still have a healthy boost meter you can boost all the way up the water... providing you've done everything perfectly you'll be ahead (the AI will be just behind but will have run out of boost at this point)... just wait for a good portion of the meter to have cooled down and boost straight to the finish (keep straight don't be tempted to go right/left for those mini water falls - too risky)

It's fucking ridiculous but after 200 + attempts this is the only way. Now i'm not so sure about the rubber band effect. I think there's still some inconsistency with the top 3/4 cars being faster than the rest but it seems they're driving as fast/efficiently as humanly possible so there's very little margin for error, unless you get really lucky.

I found the eliminator event that this one unlocks to be easier (gold after 3 attempts ) cause the bikes are faster/more nimble and you don't have to take that sharp turn so perfectly (you can drive straight through and turn quicker thanks to superior handling - then same strategy with the water)

Thank god. I'm assuming all races are going to be this fucking nail biting from here on out.

slewis7

Since I just finished Fable 2 (fantastic game by the way) and Fry's advertised M2 for $50, I decided to pick it up. I had enjoyed the demo, but some so so reviews had convinced me to hold off. Anyways my first impression is: THIS IS AWESOME!!! While I am struggling to place in the first events, I am having a blast. Also, I tried an online race. It was really easy to get into it and I finished in first (I selected EASY). To anyone that is on the fence like I was, jump in!

All the positive comments are pushing this game up on my To-buy list

Before:
LittleBigPlanet
Valkyria Chronicles
Mirrors Edge
Resistance 2
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Fifa 09

Now:
LittleBigPlanet
Valkyria Chronicles
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Mirrors Edge
Resistance 2
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Fifa 09

:lol

bobbyflay

Neo Member
Pallaris said:
Thank god. I'm assuming all races are going to be this fucking nail biting from here on out.

many after that race can be won on the first or second try...some are close to as difficult...it's a mixed bag. that silly race took away 3 hours of my life.

Pallaris said:
I kept to the left over the big jump. Keep low and tight around the inside of the mountain.

This was the key to me winning first and not second or third.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pallaris said:
It's fucking ridiculous but after 200 + attempts this is the only way. Now i'm not so sure about the rubber band effect. I think there's still some inconsistency with the top 3/4 cars being faster than the rest but it seems they're driving as fast/efficiently as humanly possible so there's very little margin for error, unless you get really lucky.
Did you try intentionally driving in the 2nd place for the duration of the whole race, and then overtaking the leader at the last stretch? That kind of strategy almost always works against rubberband AI, and it worked for sure in first MS.

bobbyflay

Neo Member
Lord Error said:
Did you try intentionally driving in the 2nd place for the duration of the whole race, and then overtaking the leader at the last stretch? That kind of strategy almost always works against rubberband AI, and it worked for sure in first MS.

you're lucky if you can stick to 4th let alone 2nd. and no, there's no way to just shoot by anybody on that race...you need to drive perfectly to stand a chance.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Why is my online rank still listed as a "Grunt" when I've got a gold icon? I've filled up 2 progress bars but it still says Grunt, what am I missing?

Queeg

kenta said:
Why is my online rank still listed as a "Grunt" when I've got a gold icon? I've filled up 2 progress bars but it still says Grunt, what am I missing?

Once you level up when you have 3 bars you'll go up a rank and get what looks like 1 set of wings and you get to do the same again then.

Pallaris said:

I'd done perfect laps and still got beaten by 2-3 secs, when I won that race I'd overheated once and roll the car once, really from that race on it's more about luck. ATM I'm having a prick of a time trying to win the Eliminator race on Beachcomber at rank 7. I've had the lead car go invisible a few times now. Once wrecking on it having run into the back of it while it was invisible. :(

I really, really, really want to like this game...but the online is just not letting it happen.

Way too many races I'll be doing well, and from seemingly out of nowhere, a monster truck will land on me and I'll drop back from 1st or 2nd to 7th or 8th. I just can't take that type of BS when it's out of my control. Monster trucks have ruined the online for me. People are specifically playing just to run you over and not race. This wasn't even an issue in MS1. Now it's the main thing you have to be thinking about when you race. And that sucks.

Another problem this game has is when players regenerate.

I was playing a game where I was in 2nd place. Then, again out of nowhere, a player regenerates IN FRONT OF ME, and I go back to 3rd. How the hell is that possible? I've seen this happen numerous times, too. It's just aggravating and kills the pleasure from feeling like you've run a really good race, only to get screwed with this crap.

Really fun game otherwise. It's a damn shame.

Dante

CartridgeBlower said:

You just described everything I love about this game :)

CartridgeBlower said:
I really, really, really want to like this game...but the online is just not letting it happen.

Way too many races I'll be doing well, and from seemingly out of nowhere, a monster truck will land on me and I'll drop back from 1st or 2nd to 7th or 8th. I just can't take that type of BS when it's out of my control. Monster trucks have ruined the online for me. People are specifically playing just to run you over and not race. This wasn't even an issue in MS1. Now it's the main thing you have to be thinking about when you race. And that sucks.

Another problem this game has is when players regenerate.

I was playing a game where I was in 2nd place. Then, again out of nowhere, a player regenerates IN FRONT OF ME, and I go back to 3rd. How the hell is that possible? I've seen this happen numerous times, too. It's just aggravating and kills the pleasure from feeling like you've run a really good race, only to get screwed with this crap.

Really fun game otherwise. It's a damn shame.
In any other "racing" game that would be a problem... but dude... this is freaking Motorstorm :p

Ploid 3.0

Metalmurphy said:
In any other "racing" game that would be a problem... but dude... this is freaking Motorstorm :p

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the play nice approach of Pure is more of his thing.

deepbrown

Pallaris said:

They aren't rubberbanding - sorry to say. Those bigrigs are one of the fastest vehicles in the game. Just slow accelarators. I struggled on that race also, but I'm rank 8 now and haven't had much trouble since.

Rubber-banding is rare - the point is to keep you in touch with them, but generally in the higher ranks they are just faster than you.

The problem with that race, is there's a sharp corner before going to the finish line - your car skids with the handbreak, whereas the bigrigs make a wide corner with their foot on the accellerator, so they don't lose speed. Give it a go in a bigrig, you'll expereicne the same. They do the corner faster - simply as that.

Mik2121

Ok I dunno if I'm doing something wrong but...

When I play online (when I can find any match, that is.. because usually I can't), is there any way to stick in the same game and not go back to the lobby after every match? Because I find it incredibly stupid...

GodofWine

Mik2121 said:
Ok I dunno if I'm doing something wrong but...

When I play online (when I can find any match, that is.. because usually I can't), is there any way to stick in the same game and not go back to the lobby after every match? Because I find it incredibly stupid...

Nope, back to the lobby, but it seems like if you hit the button fast you end up with the same group over and over.

itxaka

Defeatist
Just bought this. I am having a blast, the demo is pure shit in comparison with the full game, it's like day and night.

Best arcade racing game this year.

Edit:
Almost forgot. Fuck evolution studios, a 4 page manual? 4 PAGE BLACK AND WHITE MANUAL? Come on, give me something I want to read and have, not something I want to burn. I can't understand why when games are more complicated each year, manuals got smaller. Seriously, 4 fucking pages.

robot

Hows it compare to Pure?

Liked the first MS, but Pure was one of the best games I've played this year. Anyone own both?

Top Bottom