• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay that'll be enough for today (12 hours straight, what the fuck).

Right now I'm super fucking pissed so I'm gonna go meltdown on my spoiler tags below.

This game rocks.

Now...

)(Y5892h3q8tf9esfdhf89asdihnfh FUCKUING AIN ASD=Oetfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9a WTF IS THIS SHITn q3w98rtfhhI WANT TO KIL masdyhfasd MYSELF aesdgfhhhhhhhase

That's all for today, never play any of the Motorstorms for that many hours straight.

neojubei said:
I think I might have to drop my mirror's edge pre-order and buy motorstorm 2. This game looks fantastic.
And plays even better :)

Flunkie

Banned
Seiken said:

Right now I'm super fucking pissed so I'm gonna go meltdown on my spoiler tags below.

This game rocks.

Now...

)(Y5892h3q8tf9esfdhf89asdihnfh FUCKUING AIN ASD=Oetfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9etfg9a WTF IS THIS SHITn q3w98rtfhhI WANT TO KIL masdyhfasd MYSELF aesdgfhhhhhhhase

That's all for today, never play any of the Motorstorms for that many hours straight.

And plays even better :)
Twelve? Twelve?! Sheesh. You've got to add me! (PSN: Flunkie44 :D)

Ploid 3.0 said:
I remember what the speed mode remind me of. It's like Stuntman. The first time through you don't know what you're going to be asked to do next and you have to memorize them as you go and fail. Even the braking and such remind me of it.
OMG YES. This is exactly what I thought. It's so awesome too. This game's got everything I could want in a racing game.

<3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Flunkie said:
Twelve? Twelve?! Sheesh. You've got to add me! (PSN: Flunkie44 :D)
Will add as soon as I get my sleep! :D

Shearie

Seiken said:

This game rocks.

Now...

12 hours straight! You're such a freak. Add me freak!

Yoshichan

Shearie said:
12 hours straight! You're such a freak. Add me freak!
Will do :lol PSN: Shearie right?

EDIT: Shearie and Flunkie, you better be active once I add you because I usually delete those who haven't logged in for 15 days (20 if I'm in a good mood) ;)

dk_

Can someone please post a bad pic.

Kidding

The weird beta demo drove me away from the game, but these screens look fucking ace. So everybody confirms that the retail version is superior concerning the graphics?

Ploid 3.0 said:
Wee, finally! I hate snail mail.
21b6i4j.jpg

That E3 sticker was a bastard to get off. Also, when did first party Sony games start having black and white manuals?

iceatcs said:
Sort of new Motorstorm 2 (reflection of monster trunk blown off) TV spot will come on 21st.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBRIZN6e8qg

The slow motion remind me of Xbox360 back of head advert some reasons.

I saw this ad yesterday and I love it.

dk_ said:
The weird beta demo drove me away from the game, but these screens look fucking ace. So everybody confirms that the retail version is superior concerning the graphics?

Yeah definitely, but even still seeing the game in motion (like the first game) is what does it justice. I'm actually kinda surprised how good some of the shots from photomode look, especially considering it lacks the quality motion blur and such. The assets, shaders and lighting really stand up even in static form.

That beta demo was a really odd choice by Evo. To be honest I think Spires is one of the few weak tracks in the game to begin with. I hope it didn't hurt sales too much because folks are missing out.

Poigea

Just got my first online win. WOO! I even crashed once and was still able to pull it out. This game is awesome, its taken me away from Resistance 2 and LBP for now, something I didn't think was possible before I bought it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
shouamabane said:
That E3 sticker was a bastard to get off. Also, when did first party Sony games start having black and white manuals?

I saw this ad yesterday and I love it.

it's only this game , latest Sony games , Siren , Socom , LBP , R2 all in full colorz manualz , I guess they decided to do that since real MOTORSTORMERS do not need noob's manuals :p

but also Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds was the only Sony PS3 game that not has inside cover art .

Yoshichan

CurlySaysX said:
I hope the difficulty picks up.
I cruised thru the first 4 events.
This is easier than Gran Turismo.
Seiken said:

This game rocks.

Now...

And I've spent at least 100 hours on the original MS. You won't be disappointed.

Clinton514

Wow, looking at some of these screens makes me want to get this game now...sadly, I need to wait and finish with a few games before jumping on another.

On another note, I was listening to 1UP Yours and heard Shane mentioned streaming soundtracks while hosting an online game...can someone confirm this?

Yoshichan

Which rank do you need to be to unlock that hawt skin?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
The scorched track,

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tbh.

EDIT - Ok I've found a good line, just got in second place, that will do for now.

BeeDog

FINALLY got my copy today, along with the bonus Motorstorm T-shirt from Play. :D Got to play a couple of maps, good shit.

The first map in the Air Zone, that beach one, looked pretty cack at first though, but it was quickly put to rest with the amazing draw distance, awesome effects (especially the motion blur <3), and the great stage layout. And I'm surprised the game is pretty much rock-solid, even with all the other racers right in front of you, a lot of cool dust/particle effects, and the motion blur if you decide to rotate the camera.

Good stuff so far.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Any recommendations for a noob? I'm crashing a fuckton, into silly things like signs and stuff. People use the stick to control right?

AstroLad said:
Any recommendations for a noob? I'm crashing a fuckton, into silly things like signs and stuff. People use the stick to control right?

In motorstorm, you must learn the track as well as the vehicle, find the path of least resistance in most cases. If you have a muddy track, just know that a rally car / motorcycle would get bogged down in the muck of the mud, so you may want to choose a mudplugger ect.. go to free play and learn the tracks.

AstroLad said:

Yeah the stick works, heh. Like gluv said the bigger vehicles are better in mud/water, the smaller classes should stick to higher ground.

As for general handling, while turning try letting off the gas/feathering the brake if you start understeering, you'll regain enough traction to straighten yourself out and get back on the gas. Use boost to accelerate faster out of turns. A big part of the game is managing your boost meter to help on turns and gunning it on opportune straights. After getting the hang of this you can start using more advanced techniques like handbrake drifting into sharp bends and boosting out.

If your vehicle is starting to tip over, tilt the controller in the opposite direction to level out. This works in mid air as well.

Stick to the buggies and trucks for awhile (when there's a choice), they're the easiest to handle of the bunch. Bikes are fun but they can be tricky for newbies. Don't mess with Rally Cars until you have a good feel for the other classes.

Also give the hood cam a shot if you haven't yet. I find its actually easier to judge corners and lines and I race better (the drawback is you have less periphery of the chaos going on around you). Plus it looks way cooler.

Ploid 3.0

needlesmcgirk said:
we need to all get in a lobby some night and race for a few hours. Lets set it up.

This! What is up gaf? This is why I started playing online games in the first place. GAF socom 2, GAF ffxi, GAF this, GAF that. What is taking so long for Motarstorm2? I'm no good leader so I won't start a Motorstorm 2 online thread. I tried with TF2 PS3 but that died out (mostly because of the whole Orange Box PS3 curse. It was good. Also the lobby sucked and didn't allow any kind of communication, or party system).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah ok, I "get it" now at least more so than when I started. It's interesting that you can crash a helluva lot if you're not paying close attention. Unlike most arcade racers like Speed Devils, Hydro Thunder, etc. (two games I love) it's very easy to go off course and seemingly minor impacts often result in crashes. But now that I'm aware of all that I've been cruising through some of the early races with one to two wrecks tops. Graphics and sound are ace, other than the engine noise which for some reason bothers me. Between this & LBP PS3 is BACK BABY (for me). I think it reminds me of Speed Devils more than anything, just with a lot more variety.

Gav

Got the game on Tuesday, but finally got to put some time into it last night.
Cant remember the last time i had so much fun with a racing game.
Everything is better than MS1, and im yet to find a track that i really dislike.

Bonnet cam is the best thing ever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Niks said:

I hate this course. Spent some time trying to get the 'explode across the line and win 10 races' trophy, and this just happened to be the 10th race I got to. Took AGES to win. Once, I got to the end of the first lap in about 4th which I was pretty happy with, then I went down that area in the pic above and suddenly was in 14th! wtf? I hadn't crashed and was driving well, with plenty of boost. I can only assume I took a bad route.

got it in the end, but I had hand cramps afterwards from squeezing the triggers so much

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
At Rank 7 now, just finished playing for 4 hours straight. Great game, but I need to rant about a couple things. >_< First there are WAY too many unnecessary wrecks in this damn game. It really pissed me off for awhile, I wrecked going up a ramp on a bike, I didnt hit anything and was flush on the ground...and then it went into a crash animation..wtf. Also, it seems like the other racers will just try to wreck you, like they are not even worried about racing, just killing you...kinda dumb (this is mainly in the higher rank races but still). And from what I understand, both these issues were even worse in the first game!? *shudder*

Anyway not trying to ruin the party just venting. Game is still awesome, and a contender for GOTY imo.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I really love this game, I just don't get around to playing it :(

Usually, there's one game in my PS3, one in my 360 and one in my Wii, and I'll switch on whatever game I feel like playing. Now all of a sudden, I've got Rock Band, Dead Space, MotorStorm PR, Killzone 2 beta, LBP, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Gears (1, I know LTTP) and Fable 2 begging me for attention. I still have to try the Left 4 Dead demo!

Apart from that, I also have to cram in some playtime for reviews...

these are teh crazytimes, swear to god.

glaurung

Got the game just yesterday (PAL, North Europe) and hot damn, this is the best racer I've seen for the last three years.

Have been trying to get the no-boost race win trophy, but the last time a truck landed on me just before the finish line and KABOOM.

Love this game.

Can the name tags for AI cars in offline races be disabled? I can't see dog shit ahead of me in some races.
I have pressed every single button on my controller but nothing makes it disapear.
I have read the book cover and back and couldn't find anything on the matter either.
Thanks.

Yoshichan

CurlySaysX said:
Can the name tags for AI cars in offline races be disabled? I can't see dog shit ahead of me in some races.
I have pressed every single button on my controller but nothing makes it disapear.
I have read the book cover and back and couldn't find anything on the matter either.
Thanks.
L3?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
tapedeck said:
At Rank 7 now, just finished playing for 4 hours straight. Great game, but I need to rant about a couple things. >_< First there are WAY too many unnecessary wrecks in this damn game. It really pissed me off for awhile, I wrecked going up a ramp on a bike, I didnt hit anything and was flush on the ground...and then it went into a crash animation..wtf. Also, it seems like the other racers will just try to wreck you, like they are not even worried about racing, just killing you...kinda dumb (this is mainly in the higher rank races but still). And from what I understand, both these issues were even worse in the first game!? *shudder*

Anyway not trying to ruin the party just venting. Game is still awesome, and a contender for GOTY imo.

That's my biggest complaint with the game. Once you get accustomed to it, the crashing becomes a lot loss frequent, but it just seems that when I'm driving a decent sized truck I should be able to plow over things like signs. Probably just too conditioned from other games where very few objects outside of walls can crash you.

Anyway if you guys are getting together a group or playing I'd definitely join. PSN is same as here.

Afrikan

Playing right now......

got 1st place for my first ranked race...and got 2nd place for my 2nd race.....

add me : Afrikan

megateto

Has the full Motorstorm 2 feature from gamevideos gone online? They said it was coming this week. I really want to see the full thing, with Phil Harrison calling names, Real Time making the E3 2005 video....

So I am very close to buying this. All of these videos and pictures just make me want this game so very much. In terms of replayability, where would you rank this between 1-10 with 1 being you will never touch it again and 10 being someone will find you dead with the controller in your hands staring at the start up screen after having played 45 hours straight without taking a break.

Alan

Poigea

LovingSteam said:
So I am very close to buying this. All of these videos and pictures just make me want this game so very much. In terms of replayability, where would you rank this between 1-10 with 1 being you will never touch it again and 10 being someone will find you dead with the controller in your hands staring at the start up screen after having played 45 hours straight without taking a break.

Alan

Do you have any experience with the first Motorstorm? Anyone who enjoyed that, will love this more.

I would say replayibility for me is somewhere from a 6-8. Its not a game I will sit down and sink hours and hours into at a time, but I keep coming back for short bursts everyday, even with all of the other great games that are out.

I am finding the online races to be the most fun for me. Nothing like squeaking out a victory by blowing up across the finish line. Think I am going to go play some right now...

Top Bottom