• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Gav

Just paid for it on Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. (Voucher codes made it nice and cheap :D)

I'll be damned if i have enough time for this, Gears 2 and LBP, but its gonna be one awesome Christmas of games.

deepbrown

Seiken said:

This pic is so fucking sick, I mean just look at it. WOW.
That's mine :D I'm gonna put some more up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
deepbrown said:
That's mine :D I'm gonna put some more up.
Please do!

I SHOULD JUST GO PLAY THE FUCKING GAME, JESUS!

Seiken said:
Please do!

I SHOULD JUST GO PLAY THE FUCKING GAME, JESUS!

I disagree, some of the levels look awesome.

I just got the game and played it for 35 minutes straight! Taking a break now but the game is awesome!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lovely Salsa said:
I disagree, some of the levels look awesome.
Disagree :lol ?

Yoshichan

PICTURE THREE, HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!

That's the new "show of texture"-pic for me. Unbelievable

Jim

The mixed reviews are a fucking travesty. Along with Wipeout HD, MS2 is one of the best racing games I've played over the past couple of years. MotorStorm is so misunderstood... :(

deepbrown

Seiken said:
PICTURE THREE, HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!

That's the new "show of texture"-pic for me. Unbelievable
Ground textures sometimes look good up close, but pull the camera out and they all look great :) Especially the sand:

MSPR_Player1_49.jpg

Jim said:
The mixed reviews are a fucking travesty. Along with Wipeout HD, MS2 is one of the best racing games I've played over the past couple of years. MotorStorm is so misunderstood... :(
Score?

I think I'd give it 8.8/10

Yoshichan

Jim said:
Isn't the original MS the best selling PS3 game? I wonder how this'll hold up, I mean, they couldn't choose a worse time (releasing it in November and all) :/

deepbrown

Seiken said:
Isn't the original MS the best selling PS3 game? I wonder how this'll hold up, I mean, they couldn't choose a worse time (releasing it in November and all) :/
Best selling because of bundles. MS has too much PS3 competition to be in a bundle now.

Ceb

Jim said:

I attribute 40 % of the lower scores to MS1 backlash and the remaining 60 % to reviewer group think/Gamerankings checking.

deepbrown

tapedeck said:
This thread delivers.
:D

You know, the Air and fire levels can look kind of ugly - and in that sense I agree with Edge. But Evolution's lighting is so incredible - I might add one of the best lighting engines in games...and it can make even the ugliest level look wowsome:

MSPR_deepbrown_56.jpg

MSPR_deepbrown_54.jpg

Jim

deepbrown said:
Score?

I think I'd give it 8.8/10

9.0-ish or so, personally (A- in my review). It's not a game for everyone, but to say that it looks horrible, has bad controls, and terrible track designs is ridiculous. Evolution took on nearly everyone's complaints and all they get is more complaints in return.

Seems like some reviewers played the demo, played the first couple of events, and wrote a review.

deepbrown

Jim said:
9.0-ish or so, personally (A- in my review). It's not a game for everyone, but to say that it looks horrible, has bad controls, and terrible track designs is ridiculous. Evolution took on nearly everyone's complaints and all they get is more complaints in return.

Seems like some reviewers played the demo, played the first couple of events, and wrote a review.
Where's your review?

And I haven't read anyone say terrible track design, or even horrible controls.

I do think there's a problem in the campaign progression. Has problems feeling fresh. I think they wasted the tracks, could've released them slower. More event types as well would have been good.

quetz67

Banned
Played for 2 1/2 hours and completed the first two ranks.

I would easily give this game 95%, havent had so much fun playing a game for some time. Sure this isnt for people who like to drive in circles for hours in hyperrealistic cars, but an average of 80% is a fucking joke.

The inter-verhicle physics seem to be toned down a little, thats my only gripe. But its so small compared to all the improvements. Variety in and between tracks is soooo great.

Some textures are pretty low res, yep, but you only notice when crashing, when racing you just see beautiful vistas and so much is going on.

Yoshichan

deepbrown said:
Where's your review?

And I haven't read anyone say terrible track design, or even horrible controls.

I do think there's a problem in the campaign progression. Has problems feeling fresh. I think they wasted the tracks, could've released them slower. More event types as well would have been good.
Gamereactor.

Synless

Jim said:

I haven't played anything beyond the demo yet. I want to get the game but because of all the other games coming out I have to wait on this one.....but for anyone to say this game looks horrible is insane. I have seen nothing but amazing videos and pics for this game and personally can't wait to get the game.

Yoshichan

More pics, Deepbrown :)?

GodofWine

This game got a 6 out of 10 from a professional reviewer.. :lol

Im totally up for a GAF get together...can you password lock a game? or name it something unique? I haven't made a game yet, but would if it would allow only certain folks to join.

Ploid 3.0

GodofWine said:
This game got a 6 out of 10 from a professional reviewer.. :lol

Im totally up for a GAF get together...can you password lock a game? or name it something unique? I haven't made a game yet, but would if it would allow only certain folks to join.

There is a party system. We can just fill out the party. I'll check if you can lock rooms and such though. I wanted gaf to do this for MS1 but people seemed to hate the online mode with a passion. There is no excuse now :D

Like every saturday at 8pm est, the lunatics of gaf unite. Then I'd push myself to practice more lol.

BeeDog

Aside from the aliasing, these aren't bullshots in any way right (no touching up at all)? Goddamn, lovely aestethics. Still haven't got my fucking copy, ARGH NEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEE

GodofWine

BeeDog said:
Aside from the aliasing, these aren't bullshots in any way right (no touching up at all)? Goddamn, lovely aestethics. Still haven't got my fucking copy, ARGH NEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEE

Nope, this is what is on your fellow gafer's TVs when they play.

Ploid 3.0

BeeDog said:

I think they look worse than what you see while playing. Each time I pause the game the motion effects are gone. Like blur and dust? The lack of aliasing is from the pics being resized. It seems to be direct image, nothing is added.

Afrikan

Private Hoffman said:
WaterStorm

DO IT EVOLUTION. DO IT!!!!!!

actually.... I was hoping Sony could use this engine to create a new Jet Moto game... when you drive the motorbikes, its very similar. It also has the similar sounds for turbo's as well.

speaking of which.... I plan on using some of Jet Moto's soundtrack like this right here for the Sky Levels....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfbpkmkvuHg&feature=related

and using some of Twisted Metal 3's Rob Zombies tracks for the rest of the levels..... like this track right here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIkeMf5ywY
SuperBeast

edit- beaten...why don't I always just get straight to the F'n point >:O

iceatcs

WaterStorm or HydroStorm sound cool.

Jetskis, Powered boats, Speed boats and some yachts (lol) should include the wacky racing.

This game is awesome, but my one problem is more with the universal custom soundtracks. They're great and all, it's just after seeing the 'd-pad for music control' in the menu option, I thought that would be for custom soundtracks. I hope that game specific custom soundtracks don't go away like they did on the Xbox (well, they were never on the 360, just on the original xbox). There is no music distortion either.

Top Bottom