• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie scenes with amazing sound design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggot9

Banned
I have to pick any scene from any movie, and do a write up on the sound design in that particular scene for school. I was going to go thumb through my movie collection later, but what scenes come to mind for you?

Sibylus

Banned
I was thinking about the Star Trek movies when I realized that the sound design is more or less backwards. Ship weapons boom in space, but you never hear them boom inside the ship that fires them :lol .

The shootout in Heat was the most realistic I've heard. But I think Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind would be the best sound design in a scene.

Bit-Bit

Kill Bill Volume 2 - When Beatrix is being buried alive. A very intense scene that didn't even require images.

2001 A Space Odyssey - Although most of the movie had great sound design. The first 20 minutes stood out the most. Specifically when the monolith first shows up in front of the apes. That scene always make me feel uneasy.

Star Wars - Lightsabres!

Steven Spielbergs War of the Worlds. - The horn sound the Tripods make is just terrifying!

Titanic - The entire last act. Especially when coupled with the excellent soundtrack.

LQX

Collateral has two scenes with amazing sound design. First the club scene, then when Vincent shoots those two dudes in the alley for stealing his suitcase. Amazing.

Also....

Heat shootout.

Gladiator intro fight scene.

Maggot9

Banned
some good suggestions so far to be sure, but when I say sound design, I mean scenes in which the sound compliments/furthers the story in a way. not talking about sounds that just sound cool.

Also honorable mention goes to the car scene in Children of Men. You are listening to the song throughout the scene but you temporarily forget about it when the action starts, then it spends the next 90 seconds or so fading in and out around the action.

Maggot9 said:
some good suggestions so far to be sure, but when I say sound design, I mean scenes in which the sound compliments/furthers the story in a way. not talking about sounds that just sound cool.

I'd have to say blade runner

Maggot9 said:

Then it's Close Encounters you are looking for.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ya know, of all the films.. I can't think of one that particularly has great sound. It doesn't stand out to me like it does in games.

So because of that, the only movie that does stand out is Stark Raving Mad. Because the soundtrack IS the sound design and their ability to make use of it to make the story go makes the movie for me.

harSon

Banned
Mononofu said:
What about Solaris (1972) ?

I've watched three Tarkovsky films over the last week (Solyaris, Stalker, and Andrei Rublev) and they certainly do have amazing usage of sound, on top of unrivaled cinematographic excellence.

Dragnet

I don't care what people say about the movie itself, but Transformers has some amazing sound design, specifically the transformations, though other stuff like the weapon sounds is also really good. This scene is the first that came to mind.

Cdammen

Aliens any scenes in the plant. But the last ones when Ripley goes down to get Newt are awesome. The droning, bassy sound of the reactor, the steam vents releasing pressure, the robotic warning messages blaring through distant speakers and the heightened audio of everything Ripley does or sees make it an extremely tense, claustrophobic and amazing experience.

Aliens_ripley15_03.jpg

The first movie has a similar scene at the end.

Chichikov

I <3 Memes said:
The shootout in Heat was the most realistic I've heard. But I think Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind would be the best sound design in a scene.
I really wasn't.
It had a great sound design, but it wasn't realistic.

The sniping scene in The Hurt Locker on the hand got it just about right.

Mononofu

harSon said:
I've watched three Tarkovsky films over the last week (Solyaris, Stalker, and Andrei Rublev) and they certainly do have amazing usage of sound, on top of unrivaled cinematographic excellence.

Andrei Tarkovsky was a true genius, I have yet to see Stalker but Andrei Rublev is currently my favorite film ever.

DMczaf

Cdammen said:
Aliens any scenes in the plant. But the last ones when Ripley goes down to get Newt are awesome. The droning, bassy sound of the reactor, the steam vents releasing pressure, the robotic warning messages blaring through distant speakers and the heightened audio of everything Ripley does or sees make it an extremely tense, claustrophobic and amazing experience.

Aliens_ripley15_03.jpg

The first movie has a similar scene at the end.

First thing I thought when I heard about the new Aliens FPS game, "Does it have Aliens' rifle sound effects?" They just sounded like they would rip anything in half.

RefigeKru

Banned
I'm a bit tired at the moment so I'm feeling quite dense, when you say sound design could it be something as simple as music complimenting a scene to convey a sense of dread or enjoyment?

Chichikov

And on the subject, those people who are impressed with Saving Private Ryan's sound design should check out Elem Klimov's Come and See.
Spielberg was heavily *cough* inspired by this film, especially in the sound department.

b7c70x.jpg

And yeah, another vote for anything Tarkovsky.

benjipwns

Banned
Maggot9 said:
Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

Do you like Phil Collins?

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, Christie?

I'm trying to listen to the new Robert Palmer tape, but Evelyn, my supposed fiancée, keeps buzzing in my ear.

I like how the music is used in American Psycho. I like the music use in Ravenous too. Dunno if this is exactly what you mean.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
There Will Be Blood had a few scenes, although the entire movie was pretty great sound-wise. I though the entire scene where the derrick caught on fire was extremely well done. The scene at the end was great as well.

edit: And Wall-E's sound design was fucking amazing.

Lucius86

Banned
I personally thought the sound in the opening Dark Knight scene was brilliant - the introduction of the music, to the shattering of the glass as the jokers break into the bank, followed by that banker dude with that mightily powerful shotgun blasts - I thought it was pretty awesome.

The beach landing in Saving Private Ryan was a great audial splendour too. A lot of effects going on there, with underwater moments, to the ringing in the ears and muted sounds when explosions go off right next to Tom Hanks. That would probably be a better piece to write up on.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Pretty much half of this film is just awesome music. But particularly the ending scene.
sunshine_photo.jpg

2cpw9kl.jpg

And of course. Kill Bill, my all time favourite film ever. BothVolume 1 and Vol.2 have the best incorporation of music I have ever seen.

Also wins best wardrobe ever in a film:
2vueplw.jpg

killbill2b.jpg

25f52z4.jpg

Such a great piece of art for old school Martial arts/revenge movie lovers <3

Oreoleo

I bet you could write a really easy paper about the sound design from the last scene in Silence of the Lambs with Jodi Foster walking around in the pitch black.

2001 would be really easy too in the scene with Dave rescuing Frank in space and all you hear is the breathing from within the suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom