• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

Yeah, but then how does Disney make money off this? What's the business case for them here?

Looked into a little bit further, and they aren't a retailer (if you click the buy link in Movies Anywhere, it displays a pop-up telling you to buy it in one of the 4 stores). So it's probably just about whatever payment the studio takes to get on board (which given that different studios have libraries with varying degrees of popularity, would be different from each one and negotiated separately). As for what they have to gain, I'm not really sure. I mean, Movies Anywhere would have a decent amount of control over people's libraries, but without them selling movies (at least at the moment), I'm not sure where the money comes from on an immediate basis.

So my itunes finally synced but some of the movies didn't carry over movies anywhere. What's really odd is that I recently bought a copy of Alien Covenant and it linked but when I go to Vudu it's only showing up as SD :(

WildZero

Anyone successfully get Blade Runner: The Final Cut to transfer from VUDU to iTunes? It shows up in my MA library but right now I can’t even find the movie available in the iTunes Store.

I think iTunes is having issues with this film. I have it on Amazon & it shows on everything but iTunes. Something called Daffy Duck’s Quackbusters appeared next to my other Amazon purchases instead, but has since vanished. Someone else in this thread suggested a title mismatch.

I linked by Vudu account and then reopened iTunes on my Mac and I see that Daffy Duck's Quackbusters has appeared there. I have not bought it from any of the four retailers and when I search for it through Movies Anywhere, it tells me to buy it.

I guess I got a free movie?

I just noticed this post - do you have Blade Runner: The Final Cut by any chance?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Looked into a little bit further, and they aren't a retailer (if you click the buy link in Movies Anywhere, it displays a pop-up telling you to buy it in one of the 4 stores). So it's probably just about whatever payment the studio takes to get on board (which given that different studios have libraries with varying degrees of popularity, would be different from each one and negotiated separately). As for what they have to gain, I'm not really sure. I mean, Movies Anywhere would have a decent amount of control over people's libraries, but without them selling movies (at least at the moment), I'm not sure where the money comes from on an immediate basis.

I'd assume it's more like Valve and Steam. Just getting the network is important

My iTunes has synced and my movies are there.

Some oddities:

“Toy Story of Terror” synced to iTunes, despite not showing up in Movies Anywhere.

GotG2 is 4K on Vudu but only HD on iTunes. It doesn’t even appear that 4K is available there for that movie. Can someone tell me if 4K is an option for that film there?

DOWN

Banned
Disney gets data and increases the value of digital movies as a whole because they’ve made a more confident platform, and thus makes the future of digital movies more marketable for everyone

My iTunes has synced and my movies are there.

Some oddities:

“Toy Story of Terror” synced to iTunes, despite not showing up in Movies Anywhere.

GotG2 is 4K on Vudu but only HD on iTunes. It doesn’t even appear that 4K is available there for that movie. Can someone tell me if 4K is an option for that film there?

Correct, Guardians doesn’t have a 4K version on iTunes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If your question is “I bought this when will it sync” during launch expect the answer to be “eventually. Patience.” :D

As for “what’s in this for the studios”. Home video sales have been in decline for many years. And that includes sales and rentals. Almost certainly this is the STUDIOS going to the retailers and throwing the retailers incentives to participate in this. So the benefit to Apple, Walmart, Google and Amazon is almost certainly better licensing deals on the content, at least slightly more favorable to each of them.

The benefit to the studios is exactly what you are seeing in this thread. Consumers more confident in making home video purchases with the knowledge that they can buy movies on any of the four largest retailers and can watch them on their provider of choice.

Better deals for the retailers, more sales for the studios, and no longer locked into one retailer for consumers (or no longer having to switch between multiple apps to access your segregated library)

Rirse

Neo Member
I was going to do the join invite account with my brother but it has this message

“If you continue, your Vudu account will be unlinked from your current UltraViolet Library.
You can link back to your existing UltraViolet Library. However, UltraViolet rules limit unlinking/re-linking to the same Library to twice a year.”

Do I lose my old movies doing this or what?

Werd

Anyone get the app to work on Amazon Fire TV? I'm signed in but it has given me a playback error every time for days when trying to play a movie.

I know it makes the libraries available across all the services, but without sidleoading apps the options are limited on Amazon and I don't like how Amazon itself handles your movie library.

Anyone successfully get Blade Runner: The Final Cut to transfer from VUDU to iTunes? It shows up in my MA library but right now I can’t even find the movie available in the iTunes Store.

Yeah, it’s not showing up in iTunes for me, either. I figure it will take a while to iron all the kinks out.

DOWN

Banned
Dang, back in like 2012 when The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu Ray finally came out, I only redeemed the code for Fellowship on iTunes because they were disgusting Standard Def codes. But now Fellowship was upgraded to HD, so I go to redeem the codes for the other two movies and they say not valid...

Cool, I go to try Vudu Disc to Digital and it says Location must match billing address... but it does. I’m at home, where my billing address is. Thanks Vudu.
I had this after I moved. I had to change all my address to my new one, INCLUDING PayPal. Then it worked.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dang, back in like 2012 when The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu Ray finally came out, I only redeemed the code for Fellowship on iTunes because they were disgusting Standard Def codes. But now Fellowship was upgraded to HD, so I go to redeem the codes for the other two movies and they say not valid...

I have all 3 extended editions in The Anywhere app now. Surprisingly they loaded instantly, even the middle of the movie.

borghe

Pacific Rim just synced. And..... it’s 4K on Apple TV. (Info banner says 4K and dev HUD says Dolby and 2160p)

So if you buy UHD movies on other retailers it WILL give you the 4K version on iTunes. If you buy HD on other providers it will give you 1200p HDR on iTunes if the movie has a 4K version. If you buy a movie that is 4K on iTunes then you will only get HD on other retailers.

Really I didn’t expect any more. I hoped for more, but with how cheap 4K is on iTunes. However there are plenty of cases where it seems to make sense to buy 4K in Vudu, like Wonder Woman UHD is the same price as iTunes right now. Or if you get a T-Mobile code or such bringing the movie to the same price as (or cheaper than) iTunes. Hopefully the other retailers will soon be able to negotiate the iTunes 4K model and it just won’t matter.

DOWN

Banned
I had this after I moved. I had to change all my address to my new one, INCLUDING PayPal. Then it worked.
My addresses are all correct. I wandered all around the parking lot to find the sweet spot and no luck. No matter how close I stand to where google and Apple maps say the address is and where they say I am via GPS.
I have all 3 extended editions in The Anywhere app now. Surprisingly they loaded instantly, even the middle of the movie.
Yeah, I’m trying to get the second and third movie in there because the first one I had redeemed years and years ago that used to be SD surprised me by being HD in there now

borghe

Yeah, I’m trying to get the second and third movie in there because the first one I had redeemed years and years ago that used to be SD surprised me by being HD in there now
So be wary. I redeemed Planet of the Apes to iTunes (only option) and it is SD on iTunes and HD everywhere else. So if you ha e a choice, redeem it somewhere other than your desired retailer. That seems to give you a better shot at getting the HD upgrade on your preferred retailer.

Also a reminder to people if you want the free iTunes 4K upgrade now or when it comes in the future you MUST redeem the HD digital copy to iTunes directly.

J-Skee

Pacific Rim just synced. And..... it’s 4K on Apple TV. (Info banner says 4K and dev HUD says Dolby and 2160p)

So if you buy UHD movies on other retailers it WILL give you the 4K version on iTunes. If you buy HD on other providers it will give you 1200p HDR on iTunes if the movie has a 4K version. If you buy a movie that is 4K on iTunes then you will only get HD on other retailers.

Really I didn’t expect any more. I hoped for more, but with how cheap 4K is on iTunes. However there are plenty of cases where it seems to make sense to buy 4K in Vudu, like Wonder Woman UHD is the same price as iTunes right now. Or if you get a T-Mobile code or such bringing the movie to the same price as (or cheaper than) iTunes. Hopefully the other retailers will soon be able to negotiate the iTunes 4K model and it just won’t matter.

For now, this makes Vudu my primary retailer as it mostly matches 4K prices with iTunes & supports Dolby Vision. I would prefer Google Play, but some of their 4K prices are insane & it only supports HDR10 at the moment. Like you said, I hope everyone just follows Apple's model.

My services are all synched up, and I've noticed a couple variations:

Amazon has given me both the regular version of Mad Max Fury Road and the Black & Chrome version. The other services just give me the regular version.

Vudu has always given me the theatrical & extended versions of Batman V Superman. It still does, but only the theatrical version shows up in the other services.

iTunes gives you both the normal and Black and Chrome, once you launch the movie you get to choose which version you want to watch

Ha, I’m having trouble getting Final Cut out of iTunes. It hasn’t synced that movie to MA at all

Ashhong

Love how iTunes gives you 4K but I don’t have an Apple TV to make use of that and don’t plan on getting one. All my tv stuff is Chromecast or AndroidTV. Seems like it’s still best to redeem any HD movies on iTunes though, since I’ll get HD on other providers and 4K on iTunes. Or should I redeem on Vudu in case they also do free 4K updates?

J-Skee

Okay, after having problems with the Spider-Man code not working, it's now in my MA account as well as every retailer. All I had to do was reconnect my Vudu account & it was basically magic from there.

And to definitely confirm, 4K purchases from Vudu works with Google Play (watching now on my Chromecast Ultra). Amazon only gave me the HD copy & I'm going to assume that iTunes is also 4K, but I don't have a Apple TV 4K.

F34R

Pacific Rim just synced. And..... it's 4K on Apple TV. (Info banner says 4K and dev HUD says Dolby and 2160p)

Really I didn't expect any more. I hoped for more, but with how cheap 4K is on iTunes. However there are plenty of cases where it seems to make sense to buy 4K in Vudu, like Wonder Woman UHD is the same price as iTunes right now. Or if you get a T-Mobile code or such bringing the movie to the same price as (or cheaper than) iTunes. Hopefully the other retailers will soon be able to negotiate the iTunes 4K model and it just won't matter.
There are a few Vudu titles I have NOT in 4K, and iTunes has them in 4K for me after syncing all my services to MA.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
X-Men Days of Future Past

----break-----

There are a handful of movies from Vudu that aren't showing up in MA, therefore aren't showing up in iTunes either.

Pacific Rim just synced. And..... it's 4K on Apple TV. (Info banner says 4K and dev HUD says Dolby and 2160p)

Really I didn't expect any more. I hoped for more, but with how cheap 4K is on iTunes. However there are plenty of cases where it seems to make sense to buy 4K in Vudu, like Wonder Woman UHD is the same price as iTunes right now. Or if you get a T-Mobile code or such bringing the movie to the same price as (or cheaper than) iTunes. Hopefully the other retailers will soon be able to negotiate the iTunes 4K model and it just won't matter.

With Movies Anywhere, and the near Blu-ray quality on iTunes of any of my Blu-rays that had digital codes, I'm seriously at the point where I might rip the remainder of my Blu-ray movies and go all digital. Does Wal-mart, etc. still have the deal where you can trade in old Blu-rays for digital codes?

It's going to be hard justifying UHD Blu-rays anymore, even if you get like three different editions of the movie per purchase. More than anything, spinning discs are just so janky of an experience these days.

There are a few Vudu titles I have NOT in 4K, and iTunes has them in 4K for me after syncing all my services to MA.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
X-Men Days of Future Past

----break-----

There are a handful of movies from Vudu that aren't showing up in MA, therefore aren't showing up in iTunes either.

iTunes doesn’t distinguish between HD or 4K like the other services do, so anything that has a 4K version will show up in iTunes that way, regardless of if it’s HD from somewhere else (and as long as it’s not SD). However, if you try to stream it in 4K on the Apple TV 4K it caps at 1200p with HDR, not the full resolution

rjinaz

My addresses are all correct. I wandered all around the parking lot to find the sweet spot and no luck. No matter how close I stand to where google and Apple maps say the address is and where they say I am via GPS.

Have you tried changing or removing your payment method on VUDU? If you're linked to paypal I would unlink it and use a card.

So I'm attempting the Vudu shared library work around for the iTunes thing, and it's working as far as getting my UV content into two iTunes accounts, but I still don't see the second iTunes account movies showing up in the first Vudu or MA account. I've seen how long things can take to port over, though,so I'm going to give it a little bit.

Edit: Checked again, everything's good. Yay!

So I thought I'd try the Movies Anywhere app on my Nvidia Shield and it's really slick. Like a responsive cross between Netflix and Apple TV's interfaces. Not compatible with voice search, but I assume it's just a matter of time. If you like captions in your film, this app probably has the heftiest amount of captioning options even more than Hulu and Amazon!

Big Megaton though, a bunch of my movies I originally redeemed with Vudu's Disc to Digital carried over with previously unavailable special features!

Old movies like My Cousin Vinny and Blazing Saddles have things like commentary and deleted scenes! Even some of my "older" Disney movies like Saving Mr. Banks and Muppet Christmas Carol had special features (though they lazily just put "Title" on them).

I can also confirm, buying Lego Batman on Amazon gives me no Special Features in the Amazon app, but DOES in the MA app.

If you have a bunch of Vudu movies, DEFINITELY worth checking out the Movies Anywhere app!

Are you just buying random stuff or is it easy to find some more popular movies like fury road?
Well, for example, I purchased Baby Driver for $3.95 the other day.

What is this code sharing site stuff you speak of? Is it for people who buy the blu ray/dvd, but don't want the digital code and sell it? Is it HD or 4K? Or is it SD? Where can I buy some movies for those prices?

I'd love to get some links to these site if possible, please!

There's many sites imagine, but I use the following website:

http://ultravioletcinema.com/getuv.php?q=HD

I’ve seen issues with iTunes showing up on other services but what about Vudu? My Vudu movies are showing on MA and Amazon but not iTunes yet.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I got them through Vudu disc-to-digital. You may need access to a PC with Blu-ray drive for that. I don't know if the UPC on the box set works in the mobile app.

Yeah, seems things are having trouble flowing both in and out of iTunes

Ah okay so iTunes in general. I’ll wait it out. I will say that they’re succeeding in making me want to go all digital.

Wish we’d have some official Apple declaration on the 4K playback of non iTunes purchased movies.

sensui-tomo

So i was able to find the link i used to connect my itunes to MA and by clicking it, it automatically fixed the issue i had where nothing showed up. So for anyone with itune issues, i'd advice going into your web history and trying to activate it that way again.

D9_A22_EB2_CFD1_41_DC_99_C8_1477_E8_D731_DC.jpg

This makes me cry lol

DOWN

Banned
I mean, it's alphabetical order, there's not much you can do there (they could put Year X in the actual title so they sort that way, though).
Eh I think these services should just be smart enough to know to manually change those particular blockbuster franchises like Harry Potter and Fast & Furious to just overrode the sorting and stay as a chronological group. It can’t be that hard for them to manually set that up for select franchise collections like that.

Eh I think these services should just be smart enough to know to manually change those particular blockbuster franchises like Harry Potter and Fast & Furious to just overrode the sorting and stay as a chronological group. It can't be that hard for them to manually set that up for select franchise collections like that.

From the messing around I've done with my libraries over the past couple days to make sure everything moved, iTunes and Vudu offer both release date and alphabetical order. If you pick one, I don't think the system is going to sit there and realize that you meant alphabetical order except for the Harry Potter movies, or you meant release order except for the Star Wars or F&F movies (to use series where release order isn't timeline order). The easiest solution is just to make the internal title such that it alphabetical order is also chronological order (i.e. Harry Potter Year 1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).

iTunes doesn’t distinguish between HD or 4K like the other services do, so anything that has a 4K version will show up in iTunes that way, regardless of if it’s HD from somewhere else (and as long as it’s not SD). However, if you try to stream it in 4K on the Apple TV 4K it caps at 1200p with HDR, not the full resolution
That seems dishonest to show me a library title is in 4k then not provide it at that. Wonder if someone will try to sue.

Top Bottom