• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Neat reply. Considering the number of people who saw 4k in their library and then considered buying an Apple TV to utilize it that could be seen as a deceptive practice. With Vudu it clearly labels what I own and should expect.
They’re kind of against a wall imho. They can flag the entitlement as HD (they do in the info banner), but then how do they let people know a title is in 4K if people want to upgrade a title?

Is there any difference in video/audio quality when downloading a movie to VUDUToGo over streaming it? Just wondering if I should bother downloading those free movies to my laptop and then hook that up to my home theater, or just stream them on the VUDU app on my Xbox One.

Edit: Compared both, couldn't tell any difference in quality, but my laptop wasn't playing the downloaded video smoothly sometimes and the audio had some stutter, and my Xbox One plays the stream perfectly. So I'll stick with streaming on Xbox One.

Edit 2: The VUDUToGo app on my laptop actually plays back video and audio fine if I stream it, whereas I have a bunch of issues if I watch something downloaded...heh.

So I was trying to think of the biggest digital movie stores that aren't involved in this even tangentially (anyone connected to UV would be connected through Vudu) and the first thing that came to mind is the game console video stores. I wonder if there's any chance Disney could get MS and Sony on board directly, as opposed to just using the Amazon and/or Vudu apps on their platform?

Mookee

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but has anyone disconnected their itunes account? I can't figure out how to do it. It says go to your itunes account to do it and.....there's nothing there.

Snaku

Banned
So I was trying to think of the biggest digital movie stores that aren't involved in this even tangentially (anyone connected to UV would be connected through Vudu) and the first thing that came to mind is the game console video stores. I wonder if there's any chance Disney could get MS and Sony on board directly, as opposed to just using the Amazon and/or Vudu apps on their platform?

MS separated its video store from Disney Movies Anywhere very recently, and there's been inside word is that they'll be shutting down their video store soon. I could see Sony getting on board eventually, but it probably wouldn't be for years. They're just so slow to adopt new things.

There is a guy on Reddit saying his 4K non iTunes purchased movies are playing in 4K according to his Apple TV. Maybe things are coming together for that?

They’re kind of against a wall imho. They can flag the entitlement as HD (they do in the info banner), but then how do they let people know a title is in 4K if people want to upgrade a title?

I see it now. The stupid setup to their app is if I use a search it pulls the movie from the main store with the 4k banner but shows I own it. If I go into my library and scroll to the movie then I see my level.

Well... iTunes works now. My buddy who is on my Vudu share list bought War for the Planet of the Apes last night. It's on my Vudu. It's not on any of the other services, including Movies Anywhere. Is this a thing? Sharing does not give you other people's movies? Growing pains?

rjinaz

VUDU must be happy as a clam right now. They basically become the UV solution for Movies Anywhere. Anybody that has UV will have to go through VUDU if they want their movies. I can imagine all of the new accounts they will get.

Well... iTunes works now. My buddy who is on my Vudu share list bought War for the Planet of the Apes last night. It's on my Vudu. It's not on any of the other services, including Movies Anywhere. Is this a thing? Sharing does not give you other people's movies? Growing pains?

Growing pains. I just set up a shared library, and it took a little bit for the movies to transfer from iTunes to Vudu, then from Vudu to other Vudu, then from other Vudu to Movies Anywhere.

witness

Just gotta say how incredible this is to have my movies across all these services now. Now you can cross shop digital movies and not worry about what device you can or cannot play it on.

WoolyNinja

Just gotta say how incredible this is to have my movies across all these services now. Now you can cross shop digital movies and not worry about what device you can or cannot play it on.

Yep, this is great! I get to use Vudu (which has always worked flawlessly for me) for all my movies purchased on iTunes (has always streamed so slowly it'll buffer for minutes at a time)

Wag

Apparently the Movies Anywhere app is playing video back from a different transfers than the other services. So if you buy a movie with a crappy transfer on Vudu it's quite possible it will be better through Movies Anywhere.

The thing is, the Movies Anywhere app is broken on my Shield TV, it won't play anything. On top of that I read it is just stereo anyways, and not surround sound.

My Roku is dying. It loses internet connection (wired) several times a night and is generating vertical red lines. Apple TV 4K inbound, now that my 400 Vudu / Disney movies have linked.

Weevilone

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but has anyone disconnected their itunes account? I can't figure out how to do it. It says go to your itunes account to do it and.....there's nothing there.

You are stuck in the same hold many of us are. Your account is jacked up and you can't fix it yourself.

So I set everything up last night and my Vudu library wasn't syncing over to iTunes and I saw that a lot of people in here were having a similar issue. This morning, I purchased Spider-Man Homecoming on iTunes to watch tonight and my library instantly refreshed with all but two of my Vudu movies...so I wonder if iTunes just isn't pinging the servers to check for new movies being added?

That said, I then redeemed codes I had lying around for Logan and LEGO Batman Movie and both of those immediately showed up in iTunes. The only movies I'm seeing hung up are the two 50 Shades movies. They were purchased on Vudu and they've synced into the Movies Anywhere library, but aren't showing up in iTunes yet for some reason.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this service. My wife and I own about 50-60 movies that were in Disney Movies Anywhere and this basically adds the rest of our digital collection (save a few movies from non-participating studios) into the same library.

The new Apple TV being able to play stuff we owned on Vudu in 4K/HDR is just icing on the cake too.

What has the better quality overall? 4K on Google Play, VUDU or iTunes?

I haven't used Google but iTunes seems to look a bit better on my TV than Vudu does, although I could be mistaken.

Vyer

VUDU must be happy as a clam right now. They basically become the UV solution for Movies Anywhere. Anybody that has UV will have to go through VUDU if they want their movies. I can imagine all of the new accounts they will get.

I honestly thought that’s what they were anyway. Any movie I’ve bought over the last few years the digital copy went Vudu or iTunes

I honestly thought that's what they were anyway. Any movie I've bought over the last few years the digital copy went Vudu or iTunes

There are other UV connected stores (Flixster is one that used to have some traction, but has had to shut down recently, and Fandango NOW is one that is starting to get some momentum), but Vudu has always been so much better (and have a big heads up on everyone else by being owned by Walmart and actually visible in their stores) that no one else has really been able to challenge them on the UV front for a while.

Edit: And as far as the codes, you've generally been able to enter them on the movie websites (or I believe on UVs website) without ever having to touch Vudu. Again, Vudu is just better than everywhere else.

Weevilone

I'm on the phone with Apple and they seem baffled. They are aware of MA, but my account on the Apple side simply isn't connected. Naturally the MA side thinks it is..

It really seems like the fix needs to happen on the MA side since they are the ones that believe there is a link, when it actually doesn't exist end to end.

reKon

Banned
does this mean I should just redeeming all on iTunes for now?

btw, I have no plans on buying an Apple TV, but it seems like it might be worth it to redeem there for a free upgrade if I sign into my account on a friends Apple TV device?

rjinaz

I honestly thought that's what they were anyway. Any movie I've bought over the last few years the digital copy went Vudu or iTunes

Well I mean nothing changes for them, just now they become the only way to get your UV movies on MA. And MA is going to be the digital locker moving forward, UV will slowly die. VUDU is in the position to profit the most as far as I can tell. They get to be the only UV connection to MA and they have the D2D which nobody else has and which works with everything MA. I hope they expand to other markets besides US. I think if you're serious about collecting digital movies you better hop on D2D now before the program changes. I have 800 movies on itunes currently thanks to this system. none of that money went to apple.

does this mean I should just redeeming all on iTunes for now?

btw, I have no plans on buying an Apple TV, but it seems like it might be worth it to redeem there for a free upgrade if I sign into my account on a friends Apple TV device?

No, if anything redeem UDH copies on VUDU. They will then be UHD on both VUDU and iTunes. Be sure to check before you redeem on VUDU as some 4K iTunes movies are not in VUDU due to VUDU not supporting HDR10.

reKon

Banned
No, if anything redeem UDH copies on VUDU. They will then be UHD on both VUDU and iTunes. Be sure to check before you redeem on VUDU as some 4K iTunes movies are not in VUDU due to VUDU not supporting HDR10.

I'm an idiot - should have waited before doing anything

I redeemed Deadpool in iTunes and it came into VUDU... only in SD quality. What the hell?

DOWN

Banned
? You can redeem UV codes directly in MA app and never touch VUDU if you just wanna use MA and iTunes or Amazon

rjinaz

? You can redeem UV codes directly in MA app and never touch VUDU if you just wanna use MA and iTunes or Amazon

Can you? Either way, a lot of people have a large collection of UV movies already. UV has been a thing for several years now. I think my first UV movie was in 2012.

Nipo

I'm an idiot - should have waited before doing anything

I redeemed Deadpool in iTunes and it came into VUDU... only in SD quality. What the hell?

Did the same for me. Transferred as HD to amazon and not at all for google I think it is a problem with the movie as other films worked fine. .

MS...there's been inside word is that they'll be shutting down their video store soon.

Just curious. Do you have a source for this inside word? All I’ve seen is conjecture from forum-dwellers based on MS no longer linking to DMA and shutting down their music subscription service. Those things aren’t good news but if there’s actual inside word I’d like to see it.

J-Skee

Maybe someone can chime in on the other two, but iTunes is usually 30Mb peak and 24Mb average. I don’t currently have anyway to watch UHD from the other two.

I have a Chromecast Ultra to check the other two, but I don't know how to check. If someone can show me how, I'll gladly give the report.

Neat reply. Considering the number of people who saw 4k in their library and then considered buying an Apple TV to utilize it that could be seen as a deceptive practice. With Vudu it clearly labels what I own and should expect.

Tell you what, you start the lawsuit

Got it, thanks. I'll wait impatiently.

I'm on the phone with Apple and they seem baffled. They are aware of MA, but my account on the Apple side simply isn't connected. Naturally the MA side thinks it is..

It really seems like the fix needs to happen on the MA side since they are the ones that believe there is a link, when it actually doesn't exist end to end.

Find the original link you did to hook it up in the first place and follow it again. It’ll be in your browser history. Worked for me, got everything flowing smooth

I have a bunch of UV movies in Vudu.. But once I linked it to MA, only a few are showing up. Is this normal?

All my Disney, WB, and Universal ones are there from what I can tell.

Disney gets data and increases the value of digital movies as a whole because they’ve made a more confident platform, and thus makes the future of digital movies more marketable for everyone

I can see that being beneficial to everyone, yes, but I don't see Disney bearing the costs and paying competitors to the benefit of the consumers and the competitors.Their ethos would be to share the risk and wealth like they did with Hulu.

Analytics.

Sure, but not sure how they monetize it. They know what I buy, where I buy from, and what's in my library. But if I like horror and Quentin Tarantino movies, are they going to recommend Get Out and Scarface where they wouldn't see a dime out of it and they are actually paying the competitor who would make money out of my purchase of those movies? Fat chance. Just because you have all this data doesn't mean it's easy to monetize it, look at twitter.

You’re being kinda flippant about it but it has merit. Certainly someone could.

Keynote: “And if you bought one of those movies in HD from iTunes, we’re gonna automatically update them to 4K HDR at no additional cost.”

MA movies not fitting the bill is shitty and I’m not happy with it, but it fits what is advertised

Paramount and Lionsgate are not on board yet.

Oh that makes sense. I thought Vudu would just pass everything along, but I suppose it's still limited. How about Sony? I don't think those transferred over either (StarShip Troopers and Bridge on the River Kwai).

I hope this takes off though, I like the idea. Also need an Xbox app for sure.

Oh that makes sense. I thought Vudu would just pass everything along, but I suppose it's still limited. How about Sony? I don't think those transferred over either (StarShip Troopers and Bridge on the River Kwai).

I hope this takes off though, I like the idea. Also need an Xbox app for sure.

If you want to see what can transfer and what can’t, just search for the movies you’re curious about on Movies Anywhere itself, app or website. If it’s not there, it’s not moving over (yet)

Top Bottom