• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies you have seen recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Oh and I watched Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet last night. Not even close to being the first time I've seen it, but I still love it. The opening to it, just the first few minutes, oozes more style than most films put out in 2 hours. Shakespeare also had a hand in it I suppose.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Recently saw Frailty. Insane movie. Great acting and a great plot all around. I also recently saw Fracture which wasn't bad at all.

S-Wind

I saw Shanghai Kiss at the Vancouver Asian Film Festival last night. It was hilarious! Too bad the studios would never let a film like this see the light of day.

The film stars Ken Leung (Rush Hour, X3, Saw, etc.), Kelly Hu (The Scorpion King, Cradle 2 the Grave, X2, etc.), and some unknown actress named Hayden Panettiere.

ShanghaiKissDVDbox.jpg

Some criterions :

A Generation - OK film, not as great as I thought it'd be. Can't wait to see other films by Wajda, though.

Sansho the Bailiff - Great movie, a classic obviously. Great story, memorable shots, poetry in motion.

Naked City - Pretty bad, apart from the ending sequence and the "novelty" of seeing the real New York of the 40-50s. Loved Rififi by Dassin, but I'm not a fan of this one.

And...

No Country for Old Men
Up there with the best Coens stuff. Probably my favorite movie by the brothers, but it could change with Lebowski and Fargo on any given day. Still, will probably end up being the best movie this year, with the most memorable villain since Hannibal Lecter. An incredible moviegoing experience all around, as I've said all over the place.

Futureman

September through now I've seen:

eXistenZ, Videodrome, Pulp Fiction, Lawnmower Man, Double Indemnity, Stagecoach, Stella Dallas, Rear Window, and Peeping Tom.

Blader

The Bourne Supremacy

I don't remember the camera being so incoherent the first time, but watching it on DVD was damn near impossible with the shaky cam.

element

Daywatch - Not nearly as cool as Nightwatch.
The Messengers - What a lame ass movie. The twist was just lame.
The Invisible - Another lame ass movie.

spootime

Blader5489 said:
The Bourne Supremacy

I don't remember the camera being so incoherent the first time, but watching it on DVD was damn near impossible with the shaky cam.

QFT. They need to stop letting cameramen with tourrettes record films.

Mama Smurf

S-Wind said:
I saw Shanghai Kiss at the Vancouver Asian Film Festival last night. It was hilarious! Too bad the studios would never let a film like this see the light of day.

The film stars Ken Leung (Rush Hour, X3, Saw, etc.), Kelly Hu (The Scorpion King, Cradle 2 the Grave, X2, etc.), and some unknown actress named Hayden Panettiere.

ShanghaiKissDVDbox.jpg

I feel I have to thank you, S-Wind. Based on this post alone I decided to check Shanghai Kiss out, who knows if I'd have ever seen it otherwise?

Anyway, it was brilliant. Touching, funny, everybody in it was fantastic, the writing was beautiful...frankly I think Ken Leung should win an oscar for his role, instead the film didn't even fucking make it to cinemas, makes me furious when you see the shit that does.

I know what my friends are having forced upon them this Christmas. They'll thank me.

dude

dude
The Band's Visit (I'm an art-house freak, sue me.) It was actually great, I'd recommend it to anyone. The pacing and acting were incredible, it was funny - and overall very well done, not an intellectual or political (yuck) film, but a one that's just fun to watch. It also has a lot of english, so it's easy to understand...

I watched Lust, Caution in theaters. So beautiful. One of the last scenes with her walking slowly to the jewelry shop was really well done.

I wish I had watched it before my trip to Shanghai so that I could have picked some different fabric to make my qi pao with.

Lelielle

I saw "Last King of Scotland" a few days ago, pretty wicked performance by Whitaker. I really enjoyed "this Film is not yet rated" quite the eye opener about the idiocy of the MPAA I would urge people to watch it, it certainly explains why Hollywood is becoming such a crapfest.

I finally saw Goodfellas for the first time the other night. 17 years late I know! HD-DVD too so it was worth the wait. I was impressed but I did see it after The Departed which I think was the stronger movie. I can't believe how dumb the characters were in Goodfellas. At any point they could probably cut and run but the life they led kept them poor and in danger of getting killed.

Warm Machine said:
I finally saw Goodfellas for the first time the other night. 17 years late I know! HD-DVD too so it was worth the wait. I was impressed but I did see it after The Departed which I think was the stronger movie. I can't believe how dumb the characters were in Goodfellas. At any point they could probably cut and run but the life they led kept them poor and in danger of getting killed.
1. Goodfellas >>>>>>>>> The Departed.

2. the life they led kept them poor...????

Jake.

00000042.jpg

finally saw brother by kitano. i loved the whole premise/theme of the movie and the ending was great but overall it had way too many plotholes and some really bad acting by other people (omar was great though). definately not his worst film but far from his best.

Foreign Jackass said:
1. Goodfellas >>>>>>>>> The Departed.

2. the life they led kept them poor...????

They knocked off Lufthansa and had hundred of thousands a piece so where the hell did it go? At that point cut and run! That was the 70s too when that was a bucket load of money.

He was broke when the cops busted his coke op in 1980! He never had cash because he seemed to keep spending it on nothing. Unless he was cruising through 25k a month he shouldn't have has such poor financial management. Dude was a moron.

Warm Machine said:
They knocked off Lufthansa and had hundred of thousands a piece so where the hell did it go? At that point cut and run! That was the 70s too when that was a bucket load of money.

He was broke when the cops busted his coke op in 1980! He never had cash because he seemed to keep spending it on nothing. Unless he was cruising through 25k a month he shouldn't have has such poor financial management. Dude was a moron.
Did you see the lifestyle of the guys? Cut and run didn't seem like something he would have permission to do anyway. (And did you know the story is.. true?)

Well anyway, Goodfellas is one of my top 10 best movies ever (can't believe I used a top 10..). It's probably the most entertaining storytelling I've seen.

Bishman

ckohler said:
Just saw Battle Royal for the first time this past weekend. I liked it.
Battle Royal is the shit. I remember watching with my friends. So many great moments during the movie that made us laugh, cheer, etc. Man that movie is crazy.

S-Wind said:

ShanghaiKissDVDbox.jpg

I saw that a few weeks ago, because of cover basically. Hayden is barely even in it. :|

I thought it was pretty bad. The Leung character wasn't likable at all, I just wanted to slap him, and the two female leads liked him for no good reason at all. He barely opened his mouth and whenever he opened his mouth he was saying something negative or just plain bitching. Terrible writing.

oh yeah, saw american gangster too. good stuff.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Slam - This was awesome. Saul Williams and Sonja Sohn performed their asses off.

Futureman said:
September through now I've seen:

eXistenZ, Videodrome, Pulp Fiction, Lawnmower Man, Double Indemnity, Stagecoach, Stella Dallas, Rear Window, and Peeping Tom.
Yes, yes, yes, yes!

Stella Dallas is kinda good too.

Lust, caution: I liked it, but I didn't like those sex scenes, they were like a break from the rest of the movie to me.

lust_caution.jpg

Ratatouille: Very nice, as expected

The Kingdom: Not bad, but the end was lame.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
on DVD:
Death Proof (R1) - 7/10 trashy in a good way. The "stonewashed" picture and frameskips were a bit stupid though.

Foreign Jackass said:
Did you see the lifestyle of the guys? Cut and run didn't seem like something he would have permission to do anyway. (And did you know the story is.. true?)

Well anyway, Goodfellas is one of my top 10 best movies ever (can't believe I used a top 10..). It's probably the most entertaining storytelling I've seen.

I don't think they wanted to run. They seemed pretty addicted to the lifestyle, certainly Ray Liotta's character was and he makes a point of it at the start and right at the end. Being a somebody to him meant dealing drugs, avoiding the cops, going party crazy, and killing people. It was frustrating seeing someone on the verge of being able to fuck off and leave and then end up back in the shit because of his own ego problems. That is a lot of the point of the film.

Of course I knew the story was true. :) Title cards at the start and end point that out pretty well.

I'm sure if I saw Goodfellas in 1990 my appreciation would be stronger. As it is however I think the movie was very well made. I love his steadycam work and think that what he did with the film's palette changing through the eras was quite good.

Warm Machine said:
I don't think they wanted to run. They seemed pretty addicted to the lifestyle, certainly Ray Liotta's character was and he makes a point of it at the start and right at the end. Being a somebody to him meant dealing drugs, avoiding the cops, going party crazy, and killing people. It was frustrating seeing someone on the verge of being able to fuck off and leave and then end up back in the shit because of his own ego problems. That is a lot of the point of the film.
Well exactly, but I wouldn't call that stupid. Just sayin' ;)

S-Wind

Mama Smurf said:
I feel I have to thank you, S-Wind. Based on this post alone I decided to check Shanghai Kiss out, who knows if I'd have ever seen it otherwise?

Anyway, it was brilliant. Touching, funny, everybody in it was fantastic, the writing was beautiful...frankly I think Ken Leung should win an oscar for his role, instead the film didn't even fucking make it to cinemas, makes me furious when you see the shit that does.

I know what my friends are having forced upon them this Christmas. They'll thank me.

It was a great movie!

David Ren, the director, had a deal for wide distribution but the studio stipulated that it was only on the condition that the scene of the Asian American male lead banging a white girl was removed.

Ren refused.

Like I said, it's the kind of movie that would never make it through the studio system.

An Asian American male lead paired with a white girl in a romantic movie? That's an anathema to the studios.

Heh! I'm sure the joke about being in "Jewish Heaven" rub some studio execs the wrong way too!

I can't wait until my DVD arrives so that I can check out the deleted scenes!

Byron Mann (the actor who played Jai) told us at the film festival that they all got a lot of hate mail after the movie screened for the test audiences, who were mostly white. I asked him, "Please tell me that it was due to the age difference in the characters and NOT because of their interracial relationship!" He said that it was due to the interracial relationship - barely anyone mentioned the age difference. The kiss between the two Liam and Adelaide was removed after test screenings, but it's one of the deleted scenes on the DVD.

Did you watch it on DVD?

etiolate

Banned
Absinthe said:
The film was based on a book and it followed the book faithfully. If you have a problem with the story or characters then you should be criticizing the source material.

And they even changed the vernacular and dialog from the book to make it less yokel and more universal, which I think worked. Plus, Zooey Deschanel as your hippie music teacher? Mmmmmm.

I recently saw Lars and the Real Girl and would have to say it's the best film I've seen this year, so far. It handles many elements others screw up quite well.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I just watched Into the Wild tonight - C, Sean Penn really fucks up something that could have been great.

If you get a chance, watch the Assassination of Jesses James by the Coward Robert Ford, I think it is the best western since Dead Man. I give it an A.

G-Bus

Banned
I've been trying to watch I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry but seem to get interrupted 10 minutes into the movie and ultimately just lose interest. I'll watch it eventually.

The Sandlot. I like going back and watching movies i saw as a kid.

My Neighbor Totoro.

Mr. Brooks - Enjoyed it. Don't care for Kevin Costner but the plot twists kept me interested. 9/10

Fracture - If it's got Anthony Hopkins I'm there. Kind of an impulse rent, hadn't heard about it before and i thought what the hell. 8/10

Saw 4 - Waste of money....

Blow - Just watched this one for the first time last week. I like movies with a premise around drugs, and this one definitely sits at the top.

Mama Smurf

S-Wind said:
It was a great movie!

David Ren, the director, had a deal for wide distribution but the studio stipulated that it was only on the condition that the scene of the Asian American male lead banging a white girl was removed.

Ren refused.

Like I said, it's the kind of movie that would never make it through the studio system.

An Asian American male lead paired with a white girl in a romantic movie? That's an anathema to the studios.

Heh! I'm sure the joke about being in "Jewish Heaven" rub some studio execs the wrong way too!

I can't wait until my DVD arrives so that I can check out the deleted scenes!

Byron Mann (the actor who played Jai) told us at the film festival that they all got a lot of hate mail after the movie screened for the test audiences, who were mostly white. I asked him, "Please tell me that it was due to the age difference in the characters and NOT because of their interracial relationship!" He said that it was due to the interracial relationship - barely anyone mentioned the age difference. The kiss between the two Liam and Adelaide was removed after test screenings, but it's one of the deleted scenes on the DVD.

Did you watch it on DVD?

Wait...what? The studio basically said "Could you remove this bit? We're worried we'll lose out racist demographic". That's unbelievable. Let's not release Schindler's List, wouldn't want to offend the anti-semites out there.

Danielsan

before_sunrise.jpg

sunset.jpg

Both are absolutely beautiful movies. They have moved from unknown to my must buy on dvd list.

thesquidandthewhale_l200509291134.jpg

Excellent movie although not very memorable.

AlternativeUlster said:
If you get a chance, watch the Assassination of Jesses James by the Coward Robert Ford, I think it is the best western since Dead Man. I give it an A.

Strange, I thought it was one of the least memorable westerns out there. An attempt at 'art-western' which failed due to the lack of substance. The actual assasination made a beautiful scene, but that was pretty much it. It felt like the rest of the movie had no idea where it wanted to go.

Seraphim Falls was a lot better imho.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
On DVD:
Ratatouille (R1) - 11/10 one of the best Pixars so far, immaculate DVD, the bonus point is for the equally great "Lifted" short.

Re-watched Transformers (live action) and finally sat down and watched the 2nd disc and oh my freakin' god....the amount of Michael Bay p3n0r s0cking on folks like Shia's part was just too much. Can 1 man's ego be stroked that much in one interview?

But since Transformers, i'm half tempted to think this was the highlight of his career (that and getting thrown out of Walgreens)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
bluemax said:
I saw Wristcutters at the theater a couple weeks ago. It was pretty funny.

It is playing in Kansas City and I fear that it is leaving soon. I hope they still have the print when I go into town this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom