• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also watched Black Mirror S3. Fell in love with San Junipero. Haven't watched the latest one though. Outside of that one, it seems like the season is mostly a variation of what Brooker did before.

I do have to say it's a shame charlie brooker is stuck on tv. Come on dude, move forward and play within the ivy league.

I think he's sticking with TV because they allow him to do whatever he wants whereas movies don't and are far more difficult to produce properly. And everything Booker has done, both academically and career wise, involves television. Moving him to movies would be a loss, not a gain.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People: Recommended by Doug Walker/The Nostalgia Critic, this is an overlooked Disney movie. It's no Mary Poppins, but it's worth watching if you're interested in Irish folklore, mostly dealing with leprechauns, as well as a banshee and the Death Coach/Coiste Bodhar. I'm impressed with the effects of having the leprechauns be 2 feet tall while having Darby on screen at the same time. This movie also features a pre-James Bond Sean Connery, who doesn't seem to do much except provide a love interest for Darby's daughter, who are on-again, off-again like Homestar Runner and Marzipan. The set design for the hilltop ruins are also nice. It's a fine movie.

Is there a streaming service that offers the restored version of Lawrence of Arabia? I'm talking about the 4K restoration from a few years ago. VUDU says they have it but the trailer is from the old master of it and I'm not sure I wanna risk renting it there.

JB1981

Is there a streaming service that offers the restored version of Lawrence of Arabia? I'm talking about the 4K restoration from a few years ago. VUDU says they have it but the trailer is from the old master of it and I'm not sure I wanna risk renting it there.

Try the 2 minute preview

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm watching Captain Fantastic. There's a sense that it presents this idealistic vision of this home schooled, counter culture life, but there have been these moments, sometimes of levity, where it pushes against it. Its enjoyable which is surprising to me because this film could have fully swung in one direction.

I'm watching Captain Fantastic. There's a sense that it presents this idealistic vision of this home schooled, counter culture life, but there have been these moments, sometimes of levity, where it pushes against it. Its enjoyable which is surprising to me because this film could have fully swung in one direction.

Are you live posting the film?

yeah I kinda liked it even though the super cynical part of me would normally find it easy to hate

viggo rules

TheFlow

Banned
2016 was such a good year for dysfunctional families

Haven't posted about the movies I've gone out to see so far this week so quick recap:

Logan (8/10) - Hugh Jackman gets the final say and goes out on top. Mad respect. I've read some reviews and such online where people are trying to figure out how this slots into the various X-Men timelines, but these people are missing the point. This film only addresses one timeline, the one where Hugh Jackman played Wolverine on the big screen for 17 years. Right from the first encounter with the Reavers ("I'm a big fan, by the way"), this movie is clearly about Jackman's legacy, the impact it has had on his fans (Laura reads X-Men comics; "We've got ourselves a fan") and ultimately, where we all go from here, honoring the man and his legacy (
the movie ends with the kids burying Logan, as one hugs his Wolverine doll
). I gotta say, that ending really felt like I was watching
Hugh Jackman die. And I love Hugh Jackman, so I fucking cried.
Good movie, and the perfect conclusion to Jackman's legacy as Wolverine, a legacy that is pretty unique for franchise filmmaking. It's one for the history books.

The Great Wall (4.5/10) - A very handsome production (Zhang Yimou, you make good looking movies!) but the screenplay is a hollow mess. Not a single compelling character, and they're all set adrift in a pointless, lazy story (nothing is done with the backstory of the creatures, not a single stated theme is explored in any fashion). It's paint by numbers, east meets west pandering (the white guy is impressed by the Chinese army's embodiment of state policy; the Chinese are impressed by the white guy's stoic Hollywood skill and heroism). China has been trying so hard to imitate Hollywood these last few years. Makes sense that when they finally team up, the result is garbage to the power of two. Zhang Yimou, have some self-respect, dude.

Sean C

Klute (1971): One can imagine why this would have been especially provocative at the time of release. Jane Fonda's performance remains worth seeing, but otherwise it's a no-longer-edgy story shackled to a mystery that one is never in any danger of really caring about. Alan J. Pakula supplies some interesting direction, of course, but he'd do much better with the later installments of the so-called Paranoia Trilogy.

The Gold Rush (1925): I've always found there's a bit of a limit to how much I can enjoy silent comedy of this nature, however undeniable Charlie Chaplin's artistic craft is. The Gold Rush is the funniest of the three purely silent films I've seen by him, and has a reasonably engaging story to go with it. The climactic sequence involving a cabin teetering on the edge of a cliffside is a technical marvel, and it holds up remarkably well 92 years later.

Before Sunrise (1995): My entry point to Richard Linklater's Before series was 2004's Before Sunset (I went in with a basic familiarity with the story of the original, derived mainly from James Berardinelli's laudatory review), and tracked down the original film on DVD shortly thereafter. Viewing it again for the first time in at least a decade, and now on an unimpeachable Criterion Blu-ray edition, it remains a warm, lovely little story. Revisiting it now with knowledge of what the next two films (and two decades) will bring for the characters adds new layers to it. I'm not sure any director has ever been as good at depicting an ordinary conversation as Richard Linklater is, a skill that he began to really fine-tune here.

Fiend Without A Face (1958) - a nice 50s monster movie with solid creature effects later on (reminded me of the melting in Gremlins 2 actually), but early on it has the main military gentleman immediately hitting on a woman who just lost her brother, and the movie expects you to like this. Yikes. Now there is one thing I won't be missing about the 50s, and that oddly enough was not present in Them! to that extend, even if a comment about the female doctor was in it, but thankfully only once. This movie, by contrast, even downright congratulates the main character on 'getting the girl' who just lost her brother and half her village or something. Can't I just unlearn what a male gaze is and tip my fedora at this? Trump would agree with me!
sadly he would

I do like these 50s monster movies though: short (80min), accessible, and straight to the point on entertainment and plot. Not 3 hours of "MARTHA!" without making any sense.

btw, speaking of mistaking male gaze for chivalry, I completely forgot to mention that about those animated Superman films. Oh he better not have a case of the gaaaaays! In 2011 and 2013. Oh yeah.
also considers Lane "his girl"... like, excuse you and your entire dead race, alien? That shit really needs to go. So next reboot: no space jeebus crap and no Lois Lane, book it.

Logan - Mangold

It's a decent flick. Cant's say I was very impressed by it but I liked how this movie seems free of shackles in terms of cinematic universes, past events (although I bet people jerk off thinking what happened exactly that got us to Logan) and most shenanigans this type of continuity-stories tend to have. This larger than life characters carry a burden that affects them and everyone that surrounds them. The detail is not important, nor how they got there, but the exploration of that moment. A simplicity I enjoyed. The issues I have are mostly related to all Mangold movies. He seems to assemble decent movies but they all lack some kind of directorial imprint. Lacks finesse in the direction of it.

As it stands it's definitely a nice breath of fresh air but behind the best the genre has offered through the sextet of Donner/Burton/Raimi/Lee/Nolan/Del Toro.

I think he's sticking with TV because they allow him to do whatever he wants whereas movies don't and are far more difficult to produce properly. And everything Booker has done, both academically and career wise, involves television. Moving him to movies would be a loss, not a gain.

He must have some credit right now. And if his past is all television the more reason he should try new things.

Personal Shopper - Olivier Assayas is crafting some very interesting stories and actually getting good performances out of Kristen Stewart (2/2). Personal Shopper is a film about a woman while working as a personal shopper for a famous fashion icon is also a
medium who is trying to make contact with her recently deceased twin brother.
What Assasyas really excels at is making the mundane activities seems interesting. Whether it's Kristen Stewart shopping for clothing for her client or, in the case of Sils Maria, practicing lines for an upcoming play. This film delves more into a genre film and has quite an unexpected mystery throughout that has brief moments of tension. I'm really liking what I've been seeing from Assayas between this and Clouds of Sils Maria. I really need to check out some of his previous work pronto. Really enjoyed this one. 7/10

gamz

Personal Shopper - Olivier Assayas is crafting some very interesting stories and actually getting good performances out of Kristen Stewart (2/2). Personal Shopper is a film about a woman while working as a personal shopper for a famous fashion icon is also a
medium who is trying to make contact with her recently deceased twin brother.
What Assasyas really excels at is making the mundane activities seems interesting. Whether it's Kristen Stewart shopping for clothing for her client or, in the case of Sils Maria, practicing lines for an upcoming play. This film delves more into a genre film and has quite an unexpected mystery throughout that has brief moments of tension. I'm really liking what I've been seeing from Assayas between this and Clouds of Sils Maria. I really need to check out some of his previous work pronto. Really enjoyed this one. 7/10

You mentioned this movie yesterday and I had to look it up. Looks very interesting and I'm all over it.

kevin1025

Banned
Grandma

It's all right! Lily Tomlin owns the movie, Julia Garner and his infinitely curly hair are real good, and some of the character beats are well done. But the movie is a little slight, and at 78 minutes, feels like it's missing something.

The Girlfriend Experience

Sasha Grey! Acting! Kind of. Or is what she did before technically acting? I don't know what's real anymore! I liked pieces of the movie, mostly the talking to clients and hearing out their lonely lives part. But the rest was kind of shallow and floating around, like it was a bunch of scenes thrown at a wall and these stuck.

Miami Vice

Shower sex and satellite phone chats: the movie! A dude's arm burst off in the first five minutes from an ultra-powered sniper rifle, so that was real good. Then I kind of fell off from it. The characters are just there, without any introductions or any set-up for who they are, and beyond their shower sex scenes I didn't get a good read on their personalities. Jamie Foxx is super vacant, especially during the third act when he should be pissed as hell. Elizabeth Rodriguez and Justin Theroux should have been in it more! I like the movie, and can see the appeal, but I don't think it worked for me as much as I'd hoped.

Also, am I sadistic, or do movie villains always get off too easy? They always get a death that's never worthy to the shit they pull, or so sudden they die instantly. Boo to that.

Theorry

Roque One

I liked it. Was more a war movie then a sci fi movie and that was pretty cool.
The action was good and gritty and not alot of happy endings but that served the movie. Some nice little call backs also.

X the unknown (1956) - essentially a very low budget UK production that has a fun 'monster' which might have been the first 'blob' on the big screen, but it drags its feet getting anywhere of importance. By contrast, Quatermass gets there quite rapidly, even if the productions and methods are similar. What is sorely lacking in X is any kind of subplot to fill in the stretch of nothing where your 40 minute main plot can't go. It has amusing effects and initially is entertaining if just to see someone face randomly getting melted off (what's with all this melting? I haven't seen it since Gremlins and here it's all over the place. What happened to creature effects where you can't melt a fucker on screen anymore? ... it's ratings, isn't it. Goddammit.), but other than that it's unfortunately really boring. Thank god these movies are only 80 minutes.
There is also very little creative editing, so aside from the effect compositions, you don't get a lot of variance from this, which is where most of its 'boring' comes from.

Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957) - and now you know where Morbo came from. Granted, it has definite flaws in reusing footage and questionable looping, but it's silly schlock goodness regardless. I wonder if Tim Burton got him Martian designs from this movie. ACK! Guess drunk cow and farmer had to make up for the lack of Tom Jones though. Who?

TOM. JONES.

And Carlton Banks

The Angry Red Planet (1959) - this was a weird one. On one hand it should be at the lower end of 'space creature' movies by its acting, stock footage, and sets, yet between its simple score, red-filtered images of the Martian surface, and wonderful creature designs (I swear I've seen these in video games before because of that), it manages to be more worthy than it should be. It even manages to dodge the love interest angle, making this a movie that I'm going to have to recommend on low-budget inventiveness alone.

lordxar

Machine Girl I really liked how this started out. The comical/anime style was great in a live action sense. The problem was that it faltered a lot towards the end. The bad guys became too b movie and just ruined what the intro had setup. I mean this is a b movie and all but it felt like something more to start with. Too bad it couldn't sustain that feel. Blood geysers galore too. If you ever wanted Bruce from Army of Darkness as a chick with a gatling gun for an arm and set in modern Japan fighting Yakuza then this is for you.

kevin1025

Banned
Trance

Well, that was interesting. Danny Boyle has some incredible style, and he has a knack for making music fit to his filmmaking like it was always meant to be there. James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, and Vincent Cassel are very good in the movie, but the movie they're in doesn't always hold up to its own quality. I spent too much of the movie wondering what's real, what isn't real, and then when it came to the end, I wondered if that was real. But the third act does have some impact to it, so there's that. Rosario Dawson also has a full on nude shot, which was completely shocking to see, haha, did not expect that at all.

Men, Women & Children

That was a bummer. If Reitman and co. had stripped away two or three of the story arcs, this could have been a fantastic film. If the movie focused on Ansel Elgort and Kaitlyn Dever and their parents, that could have been something. But it's weirdly focused on the detriments of social media and constant interaction, and what that means for a society that's constantly logged in. The movie is also super interested in masturbation and Tori Black. And here's me just wishing these two sad kids could be happy together. Oh well.

Solace (2015) - Basically a chance for Anthony Hopkins to chew scenery like a boss. The movie centers around a serial killer with the ability see different futures and the FBI team tasked with tracking him down. Hopkins also has the skill, so there's a bit of cat and mouse going on. As with any story where the characters can see possible futures, things get a little squirrelly. Why this event and not that one, etc. But overall there are strong performances here from Hopkins, Farrell and Cornish. JDM feels like he walked from the set of TWD and kept some of the Negan persona but somehow in an FBI body at times, or perhaps I'm projecting.

Worth the $1.60 from redbox.

3 / 5

Solace (2015) - Basically a chance for Anthony Hopkins to chew scenery like a boss. The movie centers around a serial killer with the ability see different futures and the FBI team tasked with tracking him down. Hopkins also has the skill, so there's a bit of cat and mouse going on. As with any story where the characters can see possible futures, things get a little squirrelly. Why this event and not that one, etc. But overall there are strong performances here from Hopkins, Farrell and Cornish. JDM feels like he walked from the set of TWD and kept some of the Negan persona but somehow in an FBI body at times, or perhaps I'm projecting.

3 / 5

This was originally pitched many years ago as a sequel to Seven with Morgan Freeman in the role played by Hopkins.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Sy Ableman should get his own movie. Fred Melamed is the best.

His penchant for amping up the awkward is a sight to behold. But man the scene where its found out
he dies
is effin amazing. Also, I'm catching a lot of duplicity now that I've considered the Schrodingers Theory scene and what transpires between Larry, and Sy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The Handmaiden

Damn, what a great movie.

Even though I really loved Oldby, I've never really seen any of his other movies. Gotta fix that soon-ish.

Chumley

Banned
Girl With All The Gifts

Can't remember the last time I've seen such an uneven movie. First half or so is kind of amazing, taking a lot of inspiration from The Last of Us and 28 Days Later into something I thought was going to be cool, but then it completely falls apart into full on cliche stupidity and certain scenes even worse than that - bordering on utterly laughable. A very promising start but ultimately not something I'd recommend to anyone. The one thing I will give it is it has extremely good cinematography throughout.

Girl With All The Gifts

Can't remember the last time I've seen such an uneven movie. First half or so is kind of amazing, taking a lot of inspiration from The Last of Us and 28 Days Later into something I thought was going to be cool, but then it completely falls apart into full on cliche stupidity and certain scenes even worse than that - bordering on utterly laughable. A very promising start but ultimately not something I'd recommend to anyone. The one thing I will give it is it has extremely good cinematography throughout.
That's disappointing to hear, I like the book a lot.

Certinty

Free Fire

That was actually pretty good and jokes. Basically a 90 minute gunfight but the action and jokes make it work. Great cast too.

Pachimari

Moana (2016) - ★★★☆☆
Just came out of the cinema with the kids who thought it was partly good but also scary. I was left a little bit disappointed after all the praise. Some of the songs were nice but also sang in Danish since we watched it with a Danish dub. The plot wasn't anything special and it felt a bit too long. It made me sleepy. Although the visuals were gorgeous. It was an okay animation. Worse than Tangled and Frozen.

AM1200

Watched this a few nights ago. It has a very oppressive atmosphere. The short film is very well done outside of the somewhat weak ending, but it doesn't sour the film really. Its Lovecraftian bliss!

Black Mirror S3 - Charlie Brooker

As I mentioned before, it seems this season is mostly a variation (or the other side) of themes and situations from previous stories. Charlie Brooker clearly has issues with our self-centrism, the voyeuristic nature of technology and the impacts of the populace opinion and I think most stories fit within that mold (outside of one). I liked them all, even the weakest ones. Nosedive is, by far, the most technical accomplished but the nature of a shorter episode hurts its development. On the other hand, Hated in the Nation plays like a fun movie but looks fugly as hell. For an episode with a narrative with such a broad event, they resort to those tv techniques playing everything in closed sets, remote places,etc. Shame cause Kelly Macdonald is the best and charmest actress they ever got to the show. Playtest is a nice little horror story. Shut Up and Dance is too much of a replay of White Bear with a little twist and Men Against Fire is a complete waste of opportunity (and looks too tv-ish).

San Junipero is different. Very different. It's not cynic. It's obviously unnerving if you think beyond the idyllic nature of the ending, but I don't think that's the point at all. It's more about accepting why these characters deserve that eternal rest. An alternative reality filled with 80's nostalgia...it was love at first sight. It goes toe to toe to The Entire History of You and White Christmas as the best BM episodes.

As I wrote before, although I hope Charlie Brooker keeps writing these stories continuously (even the cyclic nature of repetition is not that bad), a big part of me expects to seem him writing some motion pictures with better talent behind the cameras. He deserves it.

3 / 5

I want to see this.

Theorry

Resident Evil: Final Chapter

I knew it lol. Final chapter my ass

Enjoyable movie tho. It knows what it is. Dont bother with to much character building. Just action scene after action scene. Movie looked pretty good also.

Toothless

Rewatched Logan:

My issues from the first watch have mostly disappeared, probably thanks to expectations being adjusted. The final shot of this is pure emotion. The franchise might not have deserved this send-off, but Jackman and the fans did. Wow. Really special.

A Dog's Purpose is about as well-paced as an episodic tear-jerking existential drama about a reincarnating dog can be. The oddity of that descriptor tends to be the film's best aspects; when it embraces the weirdness and goes all out, it feels somewhat special. However, the presence of Josh Gad's voiceover often undermines this, making subtext text and being generally calculated in its cuteness. The emotions in this film are pretty cheap, but they work, and the dogs are cute. A Dog's Purpose is a silly and overly serious romp, but it still has entertaining moments and a heartwarming ending. Hard to ask for much more from it.

Beauty and the Beast
is a fun nostalgia trip, but there’s not much else to it. It becomes abundantly clear rather quickly that the story fits animation much better than live-action, but this remake at least has a good sense of fun. The musical numbers are unfortunately staged merely adequately, and the singing quality of the cast leaves much to be desired.

Luke Evans and Josh Gad steal the show, although they are greatly helped by always being in live action [musical numbers starring primarily CGI characters tend come off uglier than anything else in this (alright, besides “Be Our Guest,” because that one embraces the sheer surrealism the bad CGI can take on)] and actually having strong singing voices. Dan Stevens is also excellent as the Beast, delivering a very soulful performance behind all the motion-capture. His added song, “Evermore,” is the only great addition to the film, with other attempts to flesh the story end up being more forgettable at their best and annoying waste of times at their worst.

To get into more negative notes, Emma Watson as Belle is downright awful. She cannot sing, ruining the soundtrack with more autotuned than anyone else and she never really becomes Belle; unlike Evans and Stevens who treat their lead roles with the cartoon care they deserve. The enchanted objects are all fine, but with their absolutely ugly art design, every scene with them is left with waiting to cut back to Gaston and LeFou, or even the Beast. The Beast looks incredible as a CGI creature, which makes the enchanted objects all the more disappointing.

Overall though, it’s clear the main problem with Beauty and the Beast is that you cannot improve on the original, unlike other recent Disney live-action adaptations. It’s a joy to listen to all these songs on the big screen, and see a few of the numbers re-imagined in live action, but you might be left wondering what the point of it all is. All this said though, Beauty and the Beast is still an immensely enjoyable film that really utilizes the fun in nostalgia. There might not be much more to it than that, but that’s fine enough for this go-around.

@True Savior:
You have to compromise to make a movie though. And worse, Hollywood in particular has been distinctly and disturbingly anti-intellectual for decades now. A message like Network or Black Mirror would never make it to the actual screen (I'm honestly kind of shocked Nightcrawler made it, and that's probably because it was hidden into a thriller before the producers found out). It would not be an upgrade of any kind to operate in such a hostile environment to your message. But maybe I imagine things to be harder than they are. However, as someone who is lazy as fuck, everything seems hard. So basically I am neogaf. So hard.
Obviously, things are starting to look better due to independent productions, but the mainstream is still "dumb it down or get fucked".

also, I still need to actually watch Black Mirror. :\
I've started a Netflix trial this month, but I haven't even touched it yet. :')

anyway, back on movies:

Journey To The Seventh Planet (1962) - could possible have the worst first ten minutes of a movie ever on account of some shameless "locker room talk", but once the ship actually lands on Saturn (yeah yeah ye, I know, it was the 60s, people didn't know that stuff yet) it actually starts to get its shit together and becomes endearing with its limited sets and the Most Annoying Mother Brain (evah) who seeks to control the humans by probing their thoughts and creating a simulation just for them. As it progresses, it becomes quite a bit smarter about what and how, and I suspect that is the influence of Ib Melchior co-writing the screenplay, who also wrote -and directed- The Angry Red Planet (see post above) and Robinson Crusoe On Mars (1964), which I saw in 2015 and enjoyed in its practical use of what was known then and the logical rules of its fiction. Though Seventh Planet is strikingly more messy and delving into schlock with its giant brain (seriously Samus, what the hell), it does maintain its rules into a mediocre, but enjoyable on account of that at least 1960's movie.
However, Ib Melchior would go on to write another 'alien world' movie that is the real reason you should know him, and that is Planet Of The Vampires (1965), which is almost a direct blueprint for what would become Alien (1979). That man had a good run, and passed away at 97 only two years ago.

It Came From Outerspace (1953) - currently watching, but I can already tell being based on a Ray Bradbury story is doing a great service to this movie, with characters being actual characters and shots where I can almost literally sense what the sentence on the page would have been. Directed by Jack Arnold, who also directed Creature From The Black Lagoon, its sequel, and The Incredible Shrinking Man, so it stands to reason the effect is caused by having a competent director.
edit: and oh boy was that right. Helicopter shots of the actual cars with actors driving, POV shots from the aliens, and even using that image as a structural element. Some good filmmaking in this movie, despite its age. Great for its time, and completely avoids the clichéd tropes of other 50s movies. Recommended watch in an unironic manner.

When Worlds Collide (1951) - the start was fun, but after that, and aside from some fun effects later on, it just becomes kinda boring. That is really all I have to say about it, which is weird.

Charlie Brooker could write a movie for a speculative sci-fi thriller (maybe even direct?), much like how Jordan Peele made the transition from TV to feature films with Get Out (which itself feels like Black Mirror and has an actor from that series!). It's not that rare.
The Handmaiden

Damn, what a great movie.

Even though I really loved Oldby, I've never really seen any of his other movies. Gotta fix that soon-ish.

Move on to Sympathy For Mr Vengeance, Lady Vengeance (mainly for the cinematography and for a cool female protagonist), and then Thirst.

Ms. 45

Pretty good exploitation movie. Zoe Lund does a good job as a mute woman and keeps her character sympathetic even after she starts doing really questionable things.

OldMan

Banned
75% of the theater full, mostly couples and squads.
I guess the main character escapes with confirmation that white ppl are insane and a bad smoking habit gone
Some shit goes down, good movie.

Rewatched The Raid 2:
Much of the second act really dragged for me on this watch, but the final hour being a steady escalation of action madness up to the perfectly choreographed final fight keeps The Raid 2 firmly in my good graces. I admire the narrative sprawl of this one more than I actually enjoy it though, as I don't think it ever quite justifies its lengthy run time. If Evans can combine the taughtness of the first movie with the more varied stylings and narrative ambitions of this one then he'll have pretty much nailed his wildly kinetic and brutal martial arts formula though.

DirtyLarry

Watched Silence today.
It is a damn good movie. Damn good. And I am not a religious person whatsoever, but that is a testament to the movie itself. I still related big time somehow.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I just saw the movie Paterson. Alot of Jim Jarmusch movies are set in North Jersey where I grew up, and this movie really made me feel at home even though I'm halfway around the world.

Blader

Kedi
Cute doc about the thousands of wild cats roaming Istanbul. Some really cool camerawork here, as the filmmakers follow a select handful of cats around to share their stories, as they were. As a dog man, I came out of this thinking I might like a cat someday too.
7/10

Marnie
Easily the worst and most boring Hitchcock film I've ever seen. Just fucking bad. At least it's cool to see 60s Sean Conney in something other than Bond.
4/10

DirtyLarry

I just saw the movie Paterson. Alot of Jim Jarmusch movies are set in North Jersey where I grew up, and this movie really made me feel at home even though I'm halfway around the world.
Thanks for the reminder about this movie. Born and bred in NJ myself, in my younger years lived in North NJ (Elizabeth to be exact) so was definitely curious about this movie since it is an North NJ movie.

TissueBox

Randomly I remembered Unfriended and it being an entirely one-take cut is still really cool. Felt more natural than other experiments because of its 'screen share' format.

smisk

It Follows (2014)
Finally watched this on Saturday after hearing good things about it for years. I'm only recently getting into horror movies, but I really enjoyed this, even more than Get Out. It manages to consistently hold your attention while still having room to breathe, and the constant threat of the thing gave tension to even mundane moments. It manages to be genuinely unsettling without resorting to jump scares, or excessive gore. The acting isn't amazing, but I found the character to be likeable enough and well portrayed. The soundtrack and cinematography were the real stars of the show though. I've heard Disasterpeace's stuff in games before but had no idea he'd done a film. It perfectly sets the mood and brings to mind John Carpenter. This movie is beautifully filmed, mostly in suburban Detroit, many of the scenes feel like they could be anywhere in America. The camera is masterfully used to hide information from the viewers, and reveal things that the characters aren't aware of (like in the amazing scene on the beach). The monster being invisible to most of the characters adds a cool twist as well.

8/10, definitely want to revisit this in the future when I can get someone to watch it with me. It's on Netflix instant (US) so definitely check it out if you haven't yet, even if you're not normally into horror films.

Belko Experiment wasnt anything special, or something anyone will remember when best of the year time comes along, but it was a brutal little thriller that was entertaining throughout. A good matinee movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom