• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

Klocker

Scott Knowles was given the CTO job over Tyrell. Tyrell was plotting against him and planned to sleep with his wife. Joanna (Tyrell's wife) was pushing for him to do this to push Scott's focus away from the CTO job and allow Tyrell to get the job instead. Unfortunately, that backfired and Scott got the job.

The problem is, Scott's wife actually moved forward with sleeping with Tyrell. In the process, he ended up strangling her to death on the roof of the Ecorp building during Scott's party celebrating his promotion. Scott suspected Tyrell of the murder. Well, he all but knew that he did it.:)

Throughout this season, Joanna has been receiving phone calls and gifts. The calls were from someone who never spoke but simply breathed into the phone. Joanna thought/hoped that it was Tyrell who disappeared after the 5/9 hack.

3 episodes ago, Joanna got Elliot to track down the number from where the calls were coming from. He gave that location to Joanna's henchman. The location was Scott Knowles home as we come to find out in the finale.

When Joanna goes to confront him, we find out that his wife was pregnant when Tyrell killed her. He was awarded the CTO job but lost everything else in the process. Knowing that Tyrell was gone, he used the phone calls and gifts as a way to give her "hope" that Tyrell was still out there so that he could eventually use it to crush her spirit if he turned up dead. It was a revenge ploy to get back at her for what Tyrell did to his wife (above already refusing her Tyrell's severance package money earlier in the season).

The final scene with her new boyfriend is Joanna manipulating him to tell the police that it was Scott who looked suspicious for killing his own wife, etc. To get back at him for the beating.

Holy shit you're like a Mr Robot angel.. that is awesome.. I can't believe I forgot that entire plot from last season and honestly was lost all season wrt Tyrell wife.. geez I need to rewatch both seasons now

Scott finds out he's becoming the next CTO.

Scott finds out his wife, Sharon, is pregnant. Happiest day of his life.

Scott and Sharon have Tyrell and Joanna over for dinner after the CTO position is publicly announced. Tyrell seduces Sharon and literally opens her legs for him. Nothing else happens.

Night of the celebration for Scott, Tyrell and Sharon go up to the roof for sex. Tyrell loses it and strangles her to death.

Police find the body, Tyrell becomes the lead suspect. Tyrell gets fired from E-Corp.

Joanna has their child.

5/9 happens, Tyrell disappears.

Joanna is running out of funds. Needs money so she goes to Scott to get Tyrell's severance package from E-Corp. Scott tells her to basically fuck off.

Joanna starts receiving strange gifts. Gifts that that would most likely be from Tyrell, giving her hope. One of those gifts is a cell phone.

Joanna approaches Elliot thinking he's behind Tyrell's disappearance. He doesn't know, but helps her trace the phone calls from the phone.

It's from Scott's home. Scott was behind the gifts. Joanna finds out that Sharon was pregnant and insults them to provoke Scott to attack her. She uses the attack to convince her boyfriend to lie to the cops about the night Sharon died. She now has everything to get Scott fired, out of the picture, and finally get the severance package.

And thank you also!
I need to stop multitasking while watching this show..

Am I the only one who thinks Tyrell is dead, and we're just seeing a third personality for Elliot? I actually think that maybe Slater isn't coming back, as he's served his purpose of getting Elliot through Stage I and now Tyrell will be his "other" for Stage II.

There's no reason to believe Tyrell is dead, the show makes that very obvious. That whole scene is about Elliot thinking he will finally be able to put his demons (aka Mr. Robot and who he thought was a personality split represented by Tyrell) under control, was a culmination of what season 2 was all about: that control is an illusion. Moreover, Elliot fucked himself over because he lost grasp of what's real/illusion. If Tyrell was a split, then why didn't he go static like Mr. Robot did upon Elliot losing consciousness? There's also the phone call with Angela, who seems to be aware of who Tyrell is (compare that to being aware of Elliot having a delusion in mirroring).

I love how this season progressed from a bunch of revolutionaries wanting to change the world, to now a grim affair with an almost cult-like group in Whiterose and the Dark Army. Mr. Robot wanted Project Mayhem all along. Couldn't have asked for a better arc.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know, it just felt that this season could've been done in 8 eps, this season was people mostly running in circles. I can see why people got fed up with this season and the ratings tanked hard because of it.

Hell, if they just cut the dead air in between all of the lines of dialogue, it would be cut down to 8 episodes.

Sky Chief

I don't understand how the FBI went from not even knowing who Cisco was to having the entire 5-9 crew and sequence of events mapped out a few hours later

Sky Chief

I don't know, it just felt that this season could've been done in 8 eps, this season was people mostly running in circles. I can see why people got fed up with this season and the ratings tanked hard because of it.

I agree, this season was disappointing. There were some good parts but the vast majority of screen time felt like wasted filler. This show needs to get more economical.

Hyun Sai

I endured this season, but from the start, the Elliot / Mr Robot shenanigans bored me to hell so I was in fact happy when he was not on screen.

Hell, I felt relieved when I thought he was out, only to be disappointed by that Angela phone call in the end. I'm not even looking forward to the season 3.

That would've been a fantastic penultimate episode. As a finale? Hmm.
I probably would've been fine with it if the Angela stuff from last week's ep hadn't happened. That raised far too many questions that needed to be answered this week, and made the new questions (wtf happened with Elliot?) kinda frustrating.

I still think this season has been great overall, though. Directing and acting wise, it has to be one of the best shows on tv right now.

Season 3 has to explain shit, and quick, or a lot of people will probably end up dropping the show.

I was so relieved once I realized they were going down that route. I really thought they'd glorify the result of the anarchy from the first season, and thank fuck they didn't.
Elliot's attitude towards the world is one that has some truth to it, but it's coming from a severely mentally ill person. You're not meant to watch that shit and think "YES, he's totally right!". The quote posted on the previous page about that is totally missing the point imo.

Still, Elliot still has a conscience and always tries to find a way not to get people hurt. I think there's a Mr. Robot in all of us that we fight to suppress. That impulse that has no regard for anything or anyone.

Nibel

People comparing this to True Detective season 2 haven't watched True Detective season 2

Season started very slow and needed a lot of time to get going, and even then we still can't grasp the entire history of what happened. All we know for sure now is that Elliot never really was in control of anything and that Mr.Robot is working against him or at least trying to supress Elliot's actions so that he can drive the masterplan forward with Tyrell and Whiterose

All in all not as strong and refined as S1 but still enjoyable. Excited for the 3rd season

I don't understand how the FBI went from not even knowing who Cisco was to having the entire 5-9 crew and sequence of events mapped out a few hours later

fsociety =/= Dark Army.

They interviewed almost everyone relevant to fsociety with the exception of Elliot, and Tyrell. It makes sense that they would create the level of detail in their mapping.

Kreed

Thanks for sharing this. Just finished watching the finale and this answered a lot of questions.

Overall though I'm satisfied with the season but the only thing I didn't like is the FBI/Dom having everything figured out at the end. Mainly because, at least from initially viewing the season, from our following Dom/the FBI's story line there was no indication that they knew as much as they did and it always seemed like they were reacting to events. Obviously this was to "fool the audience", but even with things like the Mr. Robot reveal last season, or the prison reveal this season there were always hints throughout the episodes pointed to the truth.

Tyrell is such a fanboy

Anyway, it was an interesting season. I got some answers so I'm sorta satisfied. Idk, I thought it was gonna be horrible from what I read online

Natiko

Banned
Fuck, I am not looking forward to the wait for season 3. I know not everyone loved season 2, but I think I actually enjoyed it even more than the first.

Not

Banned
It reminds me a lot of True Detective season 2 in that respect (although nowhere near as much of a failure).

This comparison is shite and yet will be overused because hurrrr recent pop culture

Bummer how these days good TV that tries new things has to always be so divisive. I wasn't bored once.

chefbags

People comparing this to True Detective season 2 haven't watched True Detective season 2

Season started very slow and needed a lot of time to get going, and even then we still can't grasp the entire history of what happened. All we know for sure now is that Elliot never really was in control of anything and that Mr.Robot is working against him or at least trying to supress Elliot's actions so that he can drive the masterplan forward with Tyrell and Whiterose

All in all not as strong and refined as S1 but still enjoyable. Excited for the 3rd season

Yep yep. The ending took my expectations away and got me excited for the next season.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Really liked the final episode (darlene lives yay)

The only thing that I was confused about was that the FBI knew about elliot... Yet they didnt do anything when he was in prison???

Makes sense though.. Although ecorp conveniently putting everything in the same building doesnt

im kind of expecting the move by E-Corp to be a fake out. They will destroy the building and everything inside, including people, and it will be dummy records or that they've already been digitized before heading there.

edit: the comparison to True Detective S2 i dont get. i couldnt even make it through the first episode of that shit. i think that S2 of Mr. Robot had higher highs and lower lows than S1. It was more uneven and ended on a whimper for me.

Reading some of the reviews online, I can't help but feel that some of the complaints are coming from the same place as people who thought Tyler Durden was actually supposed to be an admirable, profound role model.

Who's to say that's all she was told, though? The only questions we don't have answered is how much of the plan she was let in on. I'm perfectly ok with the show holding back on that until they're ready to reveal more. I doubt the plot ends with Phase 2. Nor is it the end goal. There's the whole Angela/Washington Township situation that hasn't been entirely resolved either.

Yes, exactly. Whiterose's plans with the Washington Township plant clearly go back a long way, pre-dating Elliot's whole "fight the power" scheme by years. Whiterose made it pretty clear in her monologue that the whole thing with the plant was part of a larger scheme, and THAT'S what she was trying to make Angela understand.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Reading some of the reviews online, I can't help but feel that some of the complaints are coming from the same place as people who thought Tyler Durden was actually supposed to be an admirable, profound role model.

I didn't want to say it, but I'm glad it was said.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just finished watch the finale. Loved it. Thought Season 2 was great, although I can see how some folks are frustrated by it.

Jarmel

Banned
Yep Season 2 definitely felt like it was spinning its wheels. It's getting old the amount of obfuscation the show does. Right now we don't know shit about what's driving any of the main characters.

This is feeling more like LOST with mysteries being piled on top of each other.

Yep Season 2 definitely felt like it was spinning its wheels. It's getting old the amount of obfuscation the show does. Right now we don't know shit about what's driving any of the main characters.

This is feeling more like LOST with mysteries being piled on top of each other.
Eventually the writers will realize that the mysteries are not the main attraction; the characters are.

This season, I felt the characterization backgrounded itself in favor of certain self-indulgent directorial stylings, which sapped much of the stakes from the proceedings. Stage 1 felt a lot more "important" than Stage 2 because we saw it gradually unravel from the characters' point of view, whereas 90% of this event that we're now supposed to be invested in has taken place off-screen.

All the mystery and intrigue in the world mean nothing if the characters at the center of it don't seem driven by any particular motivations beyond delivering the next 4-minute monologue. After a certain point, it should be enough to just enjoy the characters interacting with each other and trying to constantly one-up each other without some big bad conspiracy looming over and casting an ugly shadow over everything.

The most satisfying tension often comes from knowing what's going to happen and being surprised instead by how we get there. This show can still recover.

Opto

Banned
Leon is a protector. Dark Army sends black clothed, self-deleting gunman if they want someone dead. Not that he won't use threats, but I think his goal is to bring Mobley and Trenton into the Dark Army

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Leon is a protector. Dark Army sends black clothed, self-deleting gunman if they want someone dead. Not that he won't use threats, but I think his goal is to bring Mobley and Trenton into the Dark Army

The Dark Army is the most efficient organization to ever walk the Earth until they need to kill someone. Watch the assassins not even be Dark Army in the end.

The Dark Army is the most efficient organization to ever walk the Earth until they need to kill someone. Watch the assassins not even be Dark Army in the end.
What if Elliot is...in fact...the Dark Army?
9GA9g.gif

I sure did, I was wondering why people were talking about certain characters. I stopped the video just as the credits rolled as I laughed and came to this thread to read.
I mean, didn't you watch last season's finale? Or wonder why there were 8 minutes left?

Mind you, I had my laugh of bemused disbelief too :p

Ploid 3.0

I mean, didn't you watch last season's finale? Or wonder why there were 8 minutes left?

Mind you, I had my laugh of bemused disbelief too :p

The first season I wanted to soak it all up. Podcasts, articles, youtube reviews, it was all very interesting to me, but for this I wasn't into the story. I didn't look at the time bar, I just closed the window after seeing credits. I was finally able to use that screen for something else again.

What do you mean? Which main characters?

I can see an argument for Whiterose (assuming you'd call her a main character), but I don't think there's much doubt about what's driving Darlene, Elliot, Angela (well, until that last scene), or Dom - or Phillip Price for that matter.

webkatt

Angela is the real mastermind.

She is royally fucking e-corp because they killed her dad.

Everyone else is just a pawn.

Irminsul

The only thing I missed in the finale were at least some hints on what role that Washington Township Plant plays in Whiterose's plans. Or what that thing even is. Nuclear Power Plant? So its function is to cause a blackout? At least that would be my working hypothesis.

SigSig

The only thing I missed in the finale were at least some hints on what role that Washington Township Plant plays in Whiterose's plans.

This. I'm generally satisfied with the finale, mostly due to the fact that the show didn't jump the shark yet, which I kind of expected.
Phase 2 is logical and down to earth with 0% sci-fi bullshit.
I'm thrilled to see what motivates Angela, what's in stock for Tyrell, what happens to Mobley and Trenton and how Elliot will try to stop Phase 2 from happening.

Mr. Robot: Stephanie Corneliussen on the Season 2 Finale and Joanna's Big Plan

Need to remember, the Dark Army didn't kill Romero or anyone from fSociety nor were they targets, Dom wasn't a target either, all this started falling apart because of a stupid stray bullet and the paranoia created by it. Leon isn't going to kill them, he's there to watch and observe most likely. Should be wondering why Dom hasn't been targeted in both shootings the gunmen ended up killing themselves instead of killing her too even though they probably could have.

I imagine the show will play a lot better when it's complete and can be binged also I think that may be USA's long term goal with it.

Denzar

Mr. Robot: Stephanie Corneliussen on the Season 2 Finale and Joanna's Big Plan

Need to remember, the Dark Army didn't kill Romero or anyone from fSociety nor were they targets, Dom wasn't a target either, all this started falling apart because of a stupid stray bullet and the paranoia created by it. Leon isn't going to kill them, he's there to watch and observe most likely. Should be wondering why Dom hasn't been targeted in both shootings the gunmen ended up killing themselves instead of killing her too even though they probably could have.

I imagine the show will play a lot better when it's complete and can be binged also I think that may be USA's long term goal with it.

Was it really a stray bullet? That was really hard to believe...

We even get a flashback in which Mr. Robot puts a gun to Romero's head...

Jarmel

Banned
I did find it hilarious how the FBI did all that legwork and almost had the complete picture but linked everything to Wellick instead of Elliott. Oops, so close.
What do you mean? Which main characters?

I can see an argument for Whiterose (assuming you'd call her a main character), but I don't think there's much doubt about what's driving Darlene, Elliot, Angela (well, until that last scene), or Dom - or Phillip Price for that matter.

We have no clue what's motivating Angela at this point due to the Whiterose shit. It seemed like Ellliot had come to terms with Mr.Robot at the middle of the season but obviously that wasn't the case. Elliott as a character has been treading water this entire season.

I did find it hilarious how the FBI did all that legwork and almost had the complete picture but linked everything to Wellick instead of Elliott. Oops, so close.
If one were to think about it and both were primary suspects, which one has more to gain from doing this? Let's not forget one has E-corp ties and the other one doesn't. Elliot certainly wouldn't be your first thought when it came to pinpointing the mastermind.

LordOfChaos

HAHAHA. Tyrell screaming "WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!" when Elliot assumes he and Mr Robot are the same person (himself) was hilarious.

I thought he may have taken it as "you're the same person as your father", which he didn't want to be, which also made him even more angry.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If one were to think about it and both were primary suspects, which one has more to gain from doing this? Elliot certainly wouldn't be your first thought.
Elliot does? His father died from working at E-Corp. Revenge is a pretty strong motive. Tyrell had a high powered executive job there and had a lot to lose from bringing down the company (money). His dismissal probably wasnt seen as motivation if he is main suspect. The FBI will probably put it together that he only got in after he was fired.

Top Bottom