• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

SJRB

Gold Member
...man, this was amazing. Like straight up awesome.

This season was an awesome experience. I love, LOVE how it surely but steadily tumbled deeper into the rabbit hole, how the paranoia got to me. So, so good. And the music, wow. Mac Quayle strikes again. They better not again wait a year before releasing the OST.

I need to read up on what Stage 2 is, because that kinda got lost on me amidst the mindfuckery.

Zoe

...man, this was amazing. Like straight up awesome.

This season was an awesome experience. I love, LOVE how it surely but steadily tumbled deeper into the rabbit hole, how the paranoia got to me. So, so good. And the music, wow. Mac Quayle strikes again. They better not again wait a year before releasing the OST.

I need to read up on what Stage 2 is, because that kinda got lost on me amidst the mindfuckery.

Stage 2 is pretty simple: blow up all paper records so that all of the financial data is lost for good.

The big question is what's at the Wahington Township plant.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What was up with the red wheelbarrow? Tyrell says the poem and then straight after the elevator guy is eating red wheelbarrow BBQ. I thought for sure that meant that Tyrell was a figment of Elliot's imagination but I guess it was a red herring.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What was up with the red wheelbarrow? Tyrell says the poem and then straight after the elevator guy is eating red wheelbarrow BBQ. I thought for sure that meant that Tyrell was a figment of Elliot's imagination but I guess it was a red herring.

and hot carla burning stuff in a red wheelbarrow.

Dereck

I just got to the Fight Club reveal. I did wonder for the entirety of the season why Mr. Robot wore the same outfit everyday, I also wondered why he would wear a jacket with a Mr. Robot logo on it.

I would like to feel icky about the reveal that Elliot is Mr. Robot, but I feel icky instead about not seeing this reveal sooner. Once I realized that his dad didn't age at all since the 90s, I knew something was up.

Also, Elliot and Tyrell possibly working together seems like a good fit.

I just got to the Fight Club reveal. I did wonder for the entirety of the season why Mr. Robot wore the same outfit everyday, I also wondered why he would wear a jacket with a Mr. Robot logo on it.

I would like to feel icky about the reveal that Elliot is Mr. Robot, but I feel icky instead about not seeing this reveal sooner. Once I realized that his dad didn't age at all since the 90s, I knew something was up.

Yfw you realize this was shown in the first episode:

qUP5IIH.png

This was when I caught whiff of a possible Fight Club reveal, even if it sounded like a long shot back then.

Speaking of that, I rewatched season 1 back a while ago and it confirmed what I had always thought: Sam Esmail doesn't really care that much about pulling the rug from underneath the viewer (The fight club reveal isn't so much about the reveal for reveal's sake, but what it means for Elliot and his already frail state of mind). It's actually pretty cool how much he shows you and expects the viewer to pay attention to key details for later episodes. He doesn't hold your hand, and that's something that not a lot of TV shows do nowadays. I'll have to rewatch season 2 to see what I missed in my initial viewing, but I expect the same experience.

diaspora

Holy sheit so T
yrell is alive and Angela has been more involved than it seems?!?!

Yes and no.
Angela is involved but that's only because of White Rose pulling her in as we saw recently, it's not like he's been in on it the whole time.

Curufinwe

The Fight Club twist was a petty obvious one to hide the real twist that Darlene was his sister.

Double D

I haven't read a whole lot of reactions or explanations since I watched the finale, but it is a general assumption that Tyrell is for sure alive? When Angela talked to him afterwards I just figured she knew the whole deal with Elliot's personalities and addressed him as Tyrell. Then she says something like call me as soon as he wakes up which I interpreted as her just wanting to Elliot to call her back once he took back over his brain.

Bowser

I haven't read a whole lot of reactions or explanations since I watched the finale, but it is a general assumption that Tyrell is for sure alive? When Angela talked to him afterwards I just figured she knew the whole deal with Elliot's personalities and addressed him as Tyrell. Then she says something like call me as soon as he wakes up which I interpreted as her just wanting to Elliot to call her back once he took back over his brain.

I think it's pretty clear that Tyrell is alive and not a split personality. The whole point of Tyrell shooting Elliot is to lend more heft to the moment because everyone and their mom was thinking that Tyrell actually wasn't real.

Nyx

Just caught up with the show, so good!
Definitely my fav on tv right now, the story is intriguing and there's a lot of great characters and acting, but the way everything is shot and the soundtrack really give it that final touch!

Also, I think I'm in love with Carly Chaikin and Portia Doubleday at the same time.

The director surely likes Carly's legs tho haha!

Can't wait for S3.

El Topo

I think it's pretty clear that Tyrell is alive and not a split personality. The whole point of Tyrell shooting Elliot is to lend more heft to the moment because everyone and their mom was thinking that Tyrell actually wasn't real.

I don't see how Elliot getting shot lends credence to the 'Tyrell is alive' theory, when we had Mr. Robot shoot Elliot earlier this season, only for him to magically resurrect moments after. We also had the torture scene (used to get the Adderall out of Elliot). There are three days that we ultimately never saw, there is an unexplained bullet shell in the Arcade that is a big piece of evidence against Darlene and we know what Mr. Robot thinks about Tyrell.

Irminsul

I don't see how Elliot getting shot lends credence to the 'Tyrell is alive' theory, when we had Mr. Robot shoot Elliot earlier this season, only for him to magically resurrect moments after. We also had the torture scene (used to get the Adderall out of Elliot). There are three days that we ultimately never saw, there is an unexplained bullet shell in the Arcade that is a big piece of evidence against Darlene and we know what Mr. Robot thinks about Tyrell.
Because Mr. Robot "flickers" after Elliot is shot, whereas Tyrell doesn't.

El Topo

Because Mr. Robot "flickers" after Elliot is shot, whereas Tyrell doesn't.

We've seen flickering before though, namely S2E09, though in a different context (Elliot switching with Mr. Robot). I don't see it as penultimate evidence, especially given the aforementioned open issues.

Irminsul

We've seen flickering before though, namely S2E09, though in a different context (Elliot switching with Mr. Robot). I don't see it as penultimate evidence, especially given the aforementioned open issues.
Then who is Angela talking to? She never talked with "Mr. Robot", so why should she start using Elliot's split personalities now?

El Topo

Then who is Angela talking to? She never talked with "Mr. Robot", so why should she start using Elliot's split personalities now?

We have no idea what Whiterose told her and/or what she figured out regarding Elliot's personalities. Until we get a good explanation for the shell and the three missing days I'm going to remain sceptical.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
We have no idea what Whiterose told her and/or what she figured out regarding Elliot's personalities. Until we get a good explanation for the shell and the three missing days I'm going to remain sceptical.

i can see the show eventually going there. Where Elliot is really Mr. Robot in the sense that hes the hardware and the personalities are the software. His fathers program served its function and now Tyrells starts.

Flynn77

I'm still sticking to Tyrell and Elliot being one and the same. To those saying, 'but he didn't glitch' well, it was implied that Elliot did. He's not going to 'wake up' from being shot in the stomach. At least it wouldn't be taken as fact he would. But we've already been shown that shooting the other personality erodes it's control.

Think back to the first season and Elliot's heroin trip episode. Dream Angela tells him, 'you were only born a month ago ' or words to that effect. Which leads me to my wacky theory.

Not sure how it all fits together but I think the Elliot persona is the created one, and he in turn produced the Mr.Robot persona. Tyrel is the original, I'm not sure how it fits with allsafe. But there are definite hints they are the same.

Tyrel magically appears in Elliot's life whenever he shows up. In some scenes he even just walks out the shadows from nothing! Tyrell's wife seems to know who Elliot is and acknowledge he's playing a different character. Tyrell's own employees gather Elliot up in the first season premiere and call him sir (it seems they are trying to keep him on track)

Could all be wrong but it's fun to speculate. Loving the show so far :)

El Topo

I don't think I buy that Tyrell and Elliot were the same, it doesn't seem to work, but either way we need a good explanation on why the FBI thinks Tyrell is behind everything, when they know so much about the people involved. I suppose there are potential workarounds though.

Edit:
Also what Nyx wrote below me. There's also the entire Joanna ordeal that doesn't work if they're the same.

Nyx

I'm still sticking to Tyrell and Elliot being one and the same. To those saying, 'but he didn't glitch' well, it was implied that Elliot did. He's not going to 'wake up' from being shot in the stomach. At least it wouldn't be taken as fact he would. But we've already been shown that shooting the other personality erodes it's control.

Think back to the first season and Elliot's heroin trip episode. Dream Angela tells him, 'you were only born a month ago ' or words to that effect. Which leads me to my wacky theory.

Not sure how it all fits together but I think the Elliot persona is the created one, and he in turn produced the Mr.Robot persona. Tyrel is the original, I'm not sure how it fits with allsafe. But there are definite hints they are the same.

Tyrel magically appears in Elliot's life whenever he shows up. In some scenes he even just walks out the shadows from nothing! Tyrell's wife seems to know who Elliot is and acknowledge he's playing a different character. Tyrell's own employees gather Elliot up in the first season premiere and call him sir (it seems they are trying to keep him on track)

Could all be wrong but it's fun to speculate. Loving the show so far :)

But the FBI had photos of both Elliot and Tyrell on the wall, so wouldn't that imply they are indeed two different persons?

Curufinwe

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is there is an interview and podcast with Esmail linked in the last few pages that are definitely worth checking out.

Why would Whiterose know about Elliot's split personality? As far as she's concerned, she thinks Elliot is the master hacker behind 5/9 and Stage 2, when he's not really responsible for creating the plans.

El Topo

Why would Whiterose know about Elliot's split personality? As far as she's concerned, she thinks Elliot is the master hacker behind 5/9 and Stage 2, when he's not really responsible for creating the plans.

I find it hard to believe that someone like Whiterose would put this much trust in Elliot, even going to great lengths to protect him in prison, without having at least some idea. For someone that is so careful, calculating and is particularly interested in finding out how people work/think/behave (see e.g. talking with Angela or Dom) that would be very weird. If anything, I would not be surprised if Elliot's condition made Elliot more sympathetic to her, given that she has to put on a fake identity.

I find it hard to believe that someone like Whiterose would put this much trust in Elliot, even going to great lengths to protect him in prison, without having at least some idea. For someone that is so careful, calculating and is particularly interested in finding out how people work/think/behave (see e.g. talking with Angela or Dom) that would be very weird. If anything, I would not be surprised if Elliot's condition made Elliot more sympathetic to her, given that she has to put on a fake identity.

There's a fundamental difference though: when Whiterose shifts identities, she's doing it out of her own awareness (using the Zhang persona as a way to see what's going in in governments and business, and then using the Whiterose persona to hack and attack using what she knows). When Elliot does it, he has no control over when Mr. Robot comes out. I would argue that it's less about sympathy for Whiterose, and more about using fsociety as pawns to get what she wants (which appears to be Chinese economic domination once ECorp is out of the picture). Elliot and fsociety don't realize this, but Whiterose and China have much to gain from 5/9 and Stage 2 than fsociety does.

The other thing is that we don't know that Whiterose met Mr. Robot given her whole obsession about not wasting time. We know that Whiterose spoke to Elliot face to face when she warned fsociety about the honeypot that Gideon put up on the infected cs30 server. And given that Elliot was able to solve that issue without Mr. Robot intervening, I highly doubt that she'd be able to tell the difference between Elliot and Mr. Robot, much less learn that Elliot has dissociative identity disorder, especially with at least 1 f2f meeting. Tyrell couldn't, Darlene couldn't and they're at the very least decently smart.

daninthemix

I loved season 1 of this but could barely make it through episode 2 of S2. It seems completely directionless, whereas the first season was largely driven by questions - who is he, who is Mr Robot, what's going on etc. Since everything got answered in S1 now I'm struggling to find a reason to watch.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I loved season 1 of this but could barely make it through episode 2 of S2. It seems completely directionless, whereas the first season was largely driven by questions - who is he, who is Mr Robot, what's going on etc. Since everything got answered in S1 now I'm struggling to find a reason to watch.
The first four episodes are a struggle. It gets decent (and honestly where it should have started) around the midway point. Finally we get a few interesting episodes towards the end. It's still a bit of a letdown if you were expecting more.

- J - D -

Just caught up. This season was kind of a slog. Overly indulgent on the trippy stuff at the expense of honest-to-goodness plotting. Strip out all of the former and the season is actually dead simple at its foundation. It's almost all fluff otherwise. On the bright side, Angela became a much more substantial presence which is great because I am rooting for her as much as I am for Elliot. Speak of Elliot, he and Mr Robot are always fun to watch (thanks mainly to Rami Malek and Christian Slater). Dom is a fascinating new addition and had some kickass scenes. Whiterose getting to say more than just cryptic riddle-speak is a plus.

I could've done without the Joanna stuff, and the Ray stuff felt like filler. Between those parts and the heavy portions of illusory Twin Peaks-esque mind-fuck bits that unendingly dovetail with Elliot's futile attempts to reconcile with Mr Robot, I became a bit frustrated by the end of the finale realizing that all that stuff doesn't pay off as effectively as they should as a whole. What's set up in the finale is interesting, but I am getting tired of Mr Robot's propensity for cliff-hangers especially when what's been built up before it isn't particularly gripping.

There's more questions than you might think at first. There's a reason (well, probably several, actually) that all of the episode names for season 2 end in file extensions associated with encryption.

g0tm1lk

There's more questions than you might think at first. There's a reason (well, probably several, actually) that all of the episode names for season 2 end in file extensions associated with encryption.

But isn't p7z (last episode) more like a compression algorithm that also supports encryption but it is not an encryption extension per se? makes sense though, all episodes are encrypted except the finale.

Grinchy

Banned

There is some good to it, but most of it sucks. It's trying way too hard to be intelligent and artistic. The first season felt like a cohesive TV show and this one feels like Shia Labeouf was allowed to make the show without any supervision.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

sounds like you want a whole other kind of show.

Top Bottom