• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS confirms indie program for XB1, was a big GamesCom surprise, angry at GI for leak

Hana-Bi

So they allowed Blow and Lanning to publicly slag them for months so they could hype "teh megatonz" at Gamescom?

Would it not have been smarter to share this information with developers earlier so they could, ya know, develop games?

There aren't that many dev kits available. Seems like many studios got theirs very late and since every X1 is a dev kit those devs have to wait for the launch of the X1. :D

No games at gamescon confirmed this was their announcement they blew their load at E3.

I don't understand how you would come to that conclusion.

They still have Lionhead's game to announce as well as the heavily-rumored Crackdown 3.
Plus there will likely be exclusive indie titles to accompany the indie program announcement.

Kunan

Why would they hold this back for like a month?
Yea that's so weird. This is an absolutely fantastic plan and I can't believe they would let everyone stew for another month instead of prepping to develop.

EDIT: Ah so it comes into effect next year? I can understand their PR timing a bit more now.

Withnail

So they allowed Blow and Lanning to publicly slag them for months so they could hype "teh megatonz" at Gamescom?

Would it not have been smarter to share this information with developers earlier so they could, ya know, develop games?

Because those devs still don't want to be in the ghetto.

Personally I don't believe MS has backpedalled or changed a single policy, this is just XBLIG v2.

Raide

Its kind of dumb they tried to save this kind of news for gamescom.

Still good news. I hope there are not any catches. I would not be shocked if there are but I hope there isnt.

Wonder what developers they got to be in the "look at all our games" showcase because god damn that community has been hostile towards MS.

Why dumb? Maybe they just wanted to give those indie devs more exposure before launch? Not everything has to be AAA press events. I would like to see more on the Indie side and GamesCom would have been fairly good timing.

Oh well, its not like they wont announce it anyway. :D

amr

Banned
Xbox One self-publishing won't be ready at launch, but will hit within the first year we're told sbn.to/18AdPca via @Polygon
YvoVH0x.gif

Dev kits have extra hardware and software overhead. There is a reason they are more expensive and in much larger than retail boxes. They are also built to be more interactive with PCs and can even have a full Windows OS over them if they want now that it is x86.

Elginer

This really is the Xbox 180 but good for devs, just a shame it took their feet to the fire to get their shit right. This will be good for all developers in the long run.

Toki767

Why dumb? Maybe they just wanted to give those indie devs more exposure before launch? Not everything has to be AAA press events. I would like to see more on the Indie side and GamesCom would have been fairly good timing.

Oh well, its not like they wont announce it anyway. :D

It's dumb because if all they do is do what Sony already did at E3, that's all most people will come away thinking from the event.

GameSeeker

This is good new for Microsoft; not clear why they were saving this for Gamescom. It helps them catch up to Sony and Nintendo, but is not an announcement for Gamecom which is a more consumer show, unlike, say, a GDC which is developer oriented.

TheOddOne

You really have to question that both of them have strong ties with Sony. The Witness being front and center at their E3 and Lanning team doing their song and dance since forever on the PS3 too (and getting major love from Sony too). I never trust such ‘arrangements’ on either side.

Mudslinging isn't that uncommon, especially in the digital space, between MS and Sony.

Conor 419

Banned
I don't understand how you would come to that conclusion.

They still have Lionhead's game to announce as well as the heavily-rumored Crackdown 3.
Plus there will likely be exclusive indie titles to accompany the indie program announcement.

Can we reliably state Lionhead's game will release any time soon considering The Journey launched last year (and was a complete disaster)?

I bet this feature will never be what you're expecting....

It isn't going to make launch, it will be delayed, it will have issues, its access will be limited and, ultimately, it will end up being forgotten and, when it does release, it will be XBLIG all over again.

N2NOther

Banned
I love how they're upset about THIS leak and immediately issue a comment but their shitty DRM, no used game nonsense leaked months ahead of time and they said nothing until the reveal and then were apparently, genuinely surprised at the backlash.

So dumb.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm pleased by this but there always seems to be a catch here. MSFT seems to still be behind PSN and even WiiU when it comes to some of these things.

kasane

Like Gaikai?

Both companies are "i-i-it's coming later, we p-p-promise".

But I'msure Gaikai will come. Sony bought Gaikai for hundreds of millions. So you're telling they shelled out what 300 million ( not sure about the number ) to make false promises?

shandy706

That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE.

Alright, someone prep the crow.

My ears are ringing from the scrape of all the moving goalposts.

(I suppose those posts are moving to "not at launch". DESPITE, tons of the best features on both consoles not making launch)

Xbox One self-publishing won't be ready at launch, but will hit within the first year we're told sbn.to/18AdPca via @Polygon

Yeah, I'm taking this as confirmation that it's a re-announcement of the WinRT app store ghetto. Self publishing outside of the ghetto or bust.

That makes it even weirder that this was their big surprise, something desired by indies not even available for launch without a definite timetable.

Even if the retail-turned-devkit consoles turn out to only be devkits for the Windows app side of the system, I wonder if this self-publishing initiative will allow smaller devs to get real devkits and self-publish more full featured games. Definitely interested to hear more details at Gamescom, and I am glad that MS is at least getting competitive.

Takuya

Banned
That's a very tight angle with which you look at this.
Nope, that should have been clarified from the start and it wasn't. They got articles out saying it was going to be able to become a devkit, people get excited and potentially go out and preorder the machine, then they go and "correct" themselves stating that it's just a plan for the future.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It sounds to me like an idea that sprouted not too long ago, hence why it will probably take another year before it's actually available.
Maybe they took all the recent critique to heart for once?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Turning consumer consoles into debug/devkits is huge. That is something that'll hopefully light a fire under Sony to match. Also, does "discoverablity on Xbox Live" disproves what cboat said about Win store being they're way in or are they not mutually exclusive?

Top Bottom