• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS confirms indie program for XB1, was a big GamesCom surprise, angry at GI for leak

Off topic: I am so tired of Jonathan Blow and his crying and moaning.

On topic: Good to hear about self publishing. Things are truly turning around for the Xbone80

Amir0x

Banned
You should throw WiFi Direct into the SmartGlass side and controller side as well since it'll be better for input lag. Also Kinect vs PS Eye... I get it, but Kinect is far more advanced, so some of that stuff should be included (voice controls, auto logins for multiple users, face recognition etc..). Xbox Live matchmaking isn't there either. I don't see Twitch vs. Ustream at this point or time length (PS4 ahead in this category) for game dvr stuff. Headset packed in vs not packed in should indicate the Kinect's mic as well since that IS packed in.

People can look into Kinect vs. PS Camera if they want and decide which is better (Kinect, obviously); I don't care about either garbage bin tech. I think the important thing is that one is packed in, and the other is not. That's a pretty significant difference since it means one will be critically implemented into games, and the other an afterthought.

Since I consider Kinect to be one of the worst pieces of gaming technology ever made, I think it's a positive Sony's direction, but hey! Each their own.

The rest of everything isn't really yay/nay yet, from what I understand Twitch may come to PS4 (SDK already is going to allow it), and the Kinect mic is not a replacement for a built-in headset, which is the point of that bulletpoint. A headset is incalculably superior for online multiplayer gaming; Kinect's mic cannot ever be an adequate replacement for that. That said, I can modify it to something like "Headset Pack-in vs. No Headset Pack-in, but you can yell out to the Kinect Microphone if you think that'll do the job...LOLOL"

ultron87

What exactly do they mean by every console is a dev kit, though?

It sounds to me like PR speak for 'you can run your own unsigned code you made on your PC in Visual Studio'.

Is that not the definition of a devkit? A thing you can run your code on?

No, because "self published games" will actually be treated like apps and flung into a corner.

That'd be a really stupid thing to lie about.

abadguy

Banned
Some people don't get it unfortunately. And that's the real mind blowing part.

What is there to "get"? Exactly? You and cetain other posters have some silly mad on for MS for whatever reason i don't really give a shit. You think Sony is your buddy and does what they do for charity and come into any thread about them doing anything positive and grasp hard to find something negative in it.

Raide

The battle of figuring out how to surface relevent and good content on marketplaces has begun

Hopefully linked to their plans to tailor the Dashboard ads to your personal preferences. Should be easier then to pop up Indie titles that match your prefs.

shandy706

That's the hilarious part. If they planned this for so long, you'd think they could make this in time for launch. Everything just screams reactionary.

Why don't we get full streaming BC in our PS4s at launch? They've been planning it for a while.

Both systems have features that are a year away.

tfur

It's surreal to see the MS mouthpieces like Kevin Dent on Twitter talking about how MS has been planning this since 2011.

And then finding out it won't be in the system at launch.

Head-Shake-GIF.gif

Welp, rumors were that Xbone was 6 months behind schedule. Not sure how that factors into the yield problems either.

So surely those devs that have bought dev kits are gonna be pissed.

Is there a reason to have professional dev kits anymore?

I just don't believe the retail boxes will serve exactly the same role as the ones that cost $20k.

Takuya

Banned
What is there to "get"? Exactly? You and cetain other posters have some silly mad on for MS for whatever reason i don't really give a shit. You think Sony is your buddy and does what they do for charity and come into any thread about them doing anything positive and grasp hard to find something negative in it.
Now you're deviating from the context of the reply, id suggest you go back and read the thread. Thanks.

Raymo

Is that not the definition of a devkit? A thing you can run your code on?

That'd be a really stupid thing to lie about.

It's more than just running your code on it. It needs to feed you back information, so you have context for when things go wrong and debugging.

Marleyman

Banned
The indie community won't just up and forget what Microsoft was doing initially since its reveal.

I get this mentality but isn't A goal to make money so you can create more games? Getting your game exposed on multiple platforms gives you that opportunity.

Good.

I still have zero interest in a PS4 or an X1, but seeing that all major consoles are embracing indie developers is a HUGE sign that the next generation isn't going to be complete garbage.

People can look into Kinect vs. PS Camera if they want and decide which is better (Kinect, obviously); I don't care about either garbage bin tech. I think the important thing is that one is packed in, and the other is not. That's a pretty significant difference since it means one will be critically implemented into games, and the other an afterthought.

Since I consider Kinect to be one of the worst pieces of gaming technology ever made, I think it's a positive Sony's direction, but hey! Each their own.

The rest of everything isn't really yay/nay yet, from what I understand Twitch may come to PS4 (SDK already is going to allow it), and the Kinect headset is not a replacement for a built-in headset, which is the point of that bulletpoint. A headset is incalculably superior for online multiplayer gaming; Kinect's mic cannot ever be an adequate replacement for that. That said, I can modify it to something like "Headset Pack-in vs. No Headset Pack-in, but you can yell out to the Kinect Microphone if you think that'll do the job...LOLOL"

It's leaving out a ton of features, though, so your list comes off biased. If PS4 had WiFi Direct for improved PS Vita remote access performance I'm sure you'd list it right?

Wynnebeck

Banned
He didn't say he didn't want it. I asked why. What do you have to do w/ the question anyway?

That's the answer though. I'd rather have the option of getting it instead of being forced to get one thereby raising the price.

Also, the amount of system warz coming out of this thread is enough to choke a horse.

McSpidey

This is one announcement I would read ALL the fine print on once its a reality and not just a future announcement.

That said, self publishing is what made Microsoft the juganaut it is with Windows, so their console stance always felt so odd in comparison.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In the sense that the PS4 having no DRM, region free, no requirement for online, self-publishing forced MS to ensure that their console has the same advantages so the paying field is more level.

The irony of this all is that Sony has been trucking and going this route for a while. In the meantime, the last 3-4 years of Xbox has been the worse.

It makes a lot of sense for PS4 to have this momentum since they've basically handled their platform with a lot more consumer regard than MSFT to this point.

MSFT has seemed to have been reactionary to a lot of what's been going on. Good on them for doing this but once mustn't forget their ignorance.

Not that this plan doesn't sound half baked since it won't be available until next year (it seems).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Why don't we get full streaming BC in our PS4s at launch?

They've been planning it for a while. Both systems have features that are a year away.

People think building a framework and operating system takes just minutes or something.

I like how people keep trying to create a narrative, too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hope Sony copies the every system can become a dev kit idea, that's a really nice idea and finally a forward thinking plan from Microsoft. Their first for Xbox One, as far as I'm scoring it.

There's a part of me that's thinking the reason they're able to do this is because the software will run in the 'windows' sandbox. Similar to how any vita or psm device can act as a debug unit for psm software, because it's heavily sandboxed. So that might actually be a bad sign. Hope that's not the case though.

I just don't believe the retail boxes will serve exactly the same role as the ones that cost $20k.

There's limitations present in the consumer dev kit functionality not present in actual dev kits, if CBOAT is to be believed.

Barzul

I'm fairly sure we saw that argument when XBLIG was announced, and look what happened with that. At the moment, this looks like XBLIG2.
How does it look like XBLIGv2, when they've said this?

"My goal is for it to just show up in the marketplace," he told us. "Of course there will be different pivots inside of that. There will be everything from what are we curating, kind of like spotlight content, to the normal discoverability stuff like recommendations, what's trending, what's got a lot of engagement on the platform. And you'd be able to find that content in any of those. There wouldn't be any difference based on what type of game it was. Then of course there will be other type of pivots where you can go and look at whether its a genre of game or any other. But you shouldn't think of it as there's an indie area and a non-indie area."

The whole limited to 3Gb thing is because we're talking about WinRT apps and not Xbone games.

WinRT apps have the same directX access that desktop games and with windows 8.1 the size restrictions are being increase to 24GB.

It won't be the same as having a xbone specific api as going through a publisher would allow, but it's more than enough to handle pretty much any Pc game on the market right now.

Raide

Possibly dev kits having more RAM and way more tools for developers? This announcement is focused around Indies, so a retail kit sounds like it just gets unlocked to play the code. At this point they have not really said anything about the actual details or their plans.

Can we reliably state Lionhead's game will release any time soon considering The Journey launched last year (and was a complete disaster)?

I believe The Journey was made by Lionhead's "B Team."
The "A Team" has been working on something for quite some time according to job listings.

Marleyman

Banned
That's the answer though. I'd rather have the option of getting it instead of being forced to get one thereby raising the price.

The option to get it leaves you w/ the PS Eye situation; the attach rate will be low, more than likely, and devs won't have any incentive to use it.

Top Bottom