• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS confirms indie program for XB1, was a big GamesCom surprise, angry at GI for leak

Cartman86

Banned
Where does it say no self publishing right away? I see that the One can't be turned into a dev kit at launch, but is that required for self publishing? I mean if i'm an indie dev and I buy a dev kit just like I would for the PS4 can I not self publish?

Einbroch

Banned
But I'msure Gaikai will come. Sony bought Gaikai for hundreds of millions. So you're telling they shelled out what 300 million ( not sure about the number ) to make false promises?

Companies have spent more to have nothing come out of their acquisitions. Things happen. I think both will come, personally, but you can't say "this isn't coming out, they're lying to us" when Sony has done similar things.

The amount of MS hate being spewed is gross.

derFeef

Nope, that should have been clarified from the start and it wasn't. They got articles out saying it was going to be able to become a devkit, people get excited and potentially go out and preorder the machine, then they go and "correct" themselves stating that it's just a plan for the future.

And all within 15 minutes! Those tinfoil hats should be really thick, Takuya.

Why dumb? Maybe they just wanted to give those indie devs more exposure before launch? Not everything has to be AAA press events. I would like to see more on the Indie side and GamesCom would have been fairly good timing.

Oh well, its not like they wont announce it anyway. :D

Dont get me wrong. MS giving indie games press conference time is good. But saving the self publishing reveal as a press show like gamescom just seems silly and desperate for a good reaction.

This news should be told to every indie developer right away. Not saved so MS can get cheers at some show.

But doesnt matter now. The news is out there and its good!

Hope we start hearing some details soon. If its allows developers to easily release games on every platform they can afford to without any catches then everyone wins.

My bet on thatgamecompany.

Seems like the obvious developer to get.

Zornack

Where does it say no self publishing right away? I see that the One can't be turned into a dev kit at launch, but is that required for self publishing? I mean if i'm an indie dev and I buy a dev kit just like I would for the PS4 can I not self publish?

"We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August."

I'm guessing that means no self publishing at launch but we'll see next month.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Nope, that should have been clarified from the start and it wasn't. They got articles out saying it was going to be able to become a devkit, people get excited and potentially go out and preorder the machine, then they go and "correct" themselves stating that it's just a plan for the future.

They as in who?

MS was announcing this at gamescom, not through GI hence why they are mad at the leak.

But yes, keep laying on the bullshit that Microsoft is trying to trick you into buying the console.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
No split between Indie and 'non-indie' like XBLIG/XBLA:
http://kotaku.com/microsoft-every-xbox-one-can-be-used-to-make-games-up-898750954

"My goal is for it to just show up in the marketplace," he told us. "Of course there will be different pivots inside of that. There will be everything from what are we curating, kind of like spotlight content, to the normal discoverability stuff like recommendations, what's trending, what's got a lot of engagement on the platform. And you'd be able to find that content in any of those. There wouldn't be any difference based on what type of game it was. Then of course there will be other type of pivots where you can go and look at whether its a genre of game or any other. But you shouldn't think of it as there's an indie area and a non-indie area."

I don't understand how you would come to that conclusion.

They still have Lionhead's game to announce as well as the heavily-rumored Crackdown 3.
Plus there will likely be exclusive indie titles to accompany the indie program announcement.

Jk, was shocked no GAF member mention that. Anyways good on Microsoft 180 await for more positive news at the conference.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I made this post the last time someone claimed they were basically the same system now ->

● Kinect 2.0 mandatory vs. PS Camera Optional
● No Self-Publishing vs. Self-Publishing Use System as Dev Kit vs. ????
● "Intentionally didn't target the highest end specs" vs. As powerful as money allowed
● Haptic Feedback Triggers vs. PS4 Touch Pad
● Asymmetric Analog Sticks vs. Symmetric Analog Sticks
● New Improved D-Pad vs. Light Indicator (Health, Etc) and Controller Speaker
● No Headset Packed-in vs. Headset Packed-in
● $499.99 vs. $399.99
● Snap/HBO Go/Tried-and-True Online infrastructure vs. PS+ value; critical integration of Share feature
● "Power of Cloud" for dedicated servers, some low level enhancements for games vs. "Power of Cloud" for streaming PS1, PS2 or PS3 games
● All-in-One-Entertainment Device vs. "A system for the gamers, by the gamers."
● Does not allow previous gen peripherals; proprietary set up forces reset vs. 98% of your peripherals from last-gen should work
● Paywall for basically everything vs. Paywall for multiplayer only; free-to-play and all apps remain free for all.
● 15 Exclusives in First Year, 8 new IP and ??? total in development vs. 20 Exclusives in First year, 12 new IP and 30 total in development.
● SmartGlass integration vs. PS Vita integration

You should throw WiFi Direct into the SmartGlass side and controller side as well since it'll be better for input lag. Also Kinect vs PS Eye... I get it, but Kinect is far more advanced, so some of that stuff should be included (voice controls, auto logins for multiple users, face recognition etc..). Xbox Live matchmaking isn't there either. I don't see Twitch vs. Ustream at this point or time length (PS4 ahead in this category) for game dvr stuff. Headset packed in vs not packed in should indicate the Kinect's mic as well since that IS packed in.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
fixed it. They listened.

You're giving them too much credit. They reacted to this more than listened.

And they're still behind the curve.

I applaud it but there is backward steps here with some of the good bits.

If it's restricted like the current model with all the exclusive stuff then it hurts indies. If it's like PSN then great.

Kunan

Maybe it's going to be the XBL Indie Games program again. You could debug your XNA games on a retail 360, and could publish them to the IG store. Hopefully they don't stick XBL Indie Games in their own category this time and just let them fall down the stack if they're awful.

jbug617

Banned
Andrew Yoon article is up. https://www.shacknews.com/article/80329/every-retail-xbox-one-can-become-a-dev-kit-everyone

Interesting quote here:

While Microsoft's plans are certainly ambitious, with everyone being able to self-publish games, there is a real threat that Xbox Live can become as cluttered as the app stores on iOS and Android today--especially because there won't be any segregation between retail, downloadable, and indie games on the Marketplace. Whitten says that surfacing will be the big challenge for Microsoft. "I still believe strongly in curation, and that means how do we present users with the content that's most relevant to them?"

I guess that means the games are not separated.

szaromir

Banned
Dont get me wrong. MS giving indie games press conference time is good. But saving the self publishing reveal as a press show like gamescom just seems silly and desperate for a good reaction.

This news should be told to every indie developer right away. Not saved so MS can get cheers at some show.
But doesnt matter now. The news is out there and its good!

Hope we start hearing some details soon. If its allows developers to easily release games on every platform they can afford to without any catches then everyone wins.
Many devs already knew. Sometime you want to finalize all policies and legal aspects before announcing stuff tough.

Marleyman

Banned
Not everyone wants to put up $100 for a device that has no use for them or could care less. It's adding something that not everyone wants.

That is understandable; was just asking him personally but yeah I get that. My whole thing w/ Kinect 2 is that it could be used in some unique ways, especially w/ this announcement.

Bsigg12

Better late than never. As long as it allows full access to the system than its fine. Again, Microsoft changed their mind and now have to retool systems to allow this. Excited to hear about this in a month.

Majmun

It's crazy how much MS had to change X1's philosophy over time.

The original idea for the console was a clusterfuck of crazy proportions. What were they thinking...

Garjon

They already have projects lined up for Android/iOS. I think they even mentioned they're not looking for any more exclusive arrangements with companies anymore.

That's quite odd since it was an exclusive deal that saved them from bankruptcy.

Einbroch

Banned
It's not unwarranted though.

Even keeping something like this secret shows they are more about "one-upmanship" at press events than actual developer relations.

Eh, they just want to make a splash. And Sony did the same thing in a WAY more direct way with their "this is how you play used games" video and presentation at E3. Was a direct shot at Microsoft.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Very stupid for it to not be at launch.

Have to laugh at the usual suspects with their tinfoil hats on, though.

derFeef

That did not take long to turn postive One news into "bad news".
I welcome it, whatever the details may be, I am sure there will be some catches, but it's generally good news to me.

Cartman86

Banned
Maybe it's going to be the XBL Indie Games program again. You could debug your XNA games on a retail 360, and could publish them to the IG store. Hopefully they don't stick XBL Indie Games in their own category this time and just let them fall down the stack if they're awful.

They told Kotaku all games are in the same marketplace. They are not considered different anymore.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Dev kits have extra hardware and software overhead. There is a reason they are more expensive and in much larger than retail boxes. They are also built to be more interactive with PCs and can even have a full Windows OS over them if they want now that it is x86.

I'm thinking of the Net Yaroze which was essentially a playstation 1 that allowed homebrew development. I can't see why Xbox One can't be the same.

Krakn3Dfx

It's surreal to see the MS mouthpieces like Kevin Dent on Twitter talking about how MS has been planning this since 2011.

And then finding out it won't be in the system at launch.

Head-Shake-GIF.gif

What exactly do they mean by every console is a dev kit, though?

It sounds to me like PR speak for 'you can run your own unsigned code you made on your PC in Visual Studio'.

I mean we could see a resurgence of the homebrew development scene of the Amiga days but just how many of the potential Xbone (or any console owner) customers are going to bother using their console as a dev kit?

I'm fairly sure we saw that argument when XBLIG was announced, and look what happened with that. At the moment, this looks like XBLIG2.

They already have projects lined up for Android/iOS. I think they even mentioned they're not looking for any more exclusive arrangements with companies anymore.

I think Insomniac said the same thing during Fuse's (anti) hype cycle.

"we are looking to be multi-platform. Wider audience, yada-yada".

Wouldnt be shocked if MS offered them a deal before this self publishing stuff was in the works.

Raide

It's crazy how much MS had to change X1's philosophy over time.

The original idea for the console was a clusterfuck of crazy proportions. What were they thinking...

They were probably thinking about something utterly generation defining and industry altering. Most were not ready to embrace their ideas, hence the reactionary moves by MS now.

Toki767

It's surreal to see the MS mouthpieces like Kevin Dent on Twitter talking about how MS has been planning this since 2011.

And then finding out it won't be in the system at launch.

Head-Shake-GIF.gif

That's the hilarious part. If they planned this for so long, you'd think they could make this in time for launch. Everything just screams reactionary.

Top Bottom