• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Gamer's Day - May 13th - Update Thread (OP continues on Post #6)

I dont get the Banjo hate honestly. Rare's whole problem since MS got them was originality but with VP and Banjo they are finally doing something different going into completely new directions. I have to admit though I never ever ever cared for the original games I think their strongest platformer still is DKC. This game is going to be all kinds of awesome people come on.

chris0701

NeXuSDK said:
Admittedly, I'm not the best at spotting smaller framerate issues, as it doesn't really bother my eye (they really have to be noticeable for me to pay any attention to it), so the answer is overall no. Smaller problems here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for a game many months away...

Thank you. Really love bears and Banjo.

The debut video seems like to be a rushed work for promoting,maybe there are still lots of optimization for those stages.

About Mario shootout:

I would admit,the shoot onto Mario statue is somewhat interesting,but getting unnecessary debate between Mario lovers and Banjo fans.

At least we know Rare has Viva Pinata for DS,hope it would be all right.

Rocksteady33 said:
110% agreed.

They clearly had to change the formula to fit with the FPS drone demographic on the 360.

Oh for fuck's sake.
Even though this Gamer's Day has yet to showcase a single FPS that's all the 360 demographic is about isn't it?

So much ignorance.

Considering all the hate EA receive for releasing games on a annual basis, it seems like all people want to play is the same fucking game over and over again...

Down with innovation, long live repetition!

Rocksteady33 said:
110% agreed.

They clearly had to change the formula to fit with the FPS drone demographic on the 360. Why the fuck do I want to use missiles and aircrafts to complete my levels? Once again instead of Microsoft competing against Nintendo, they go straight after Sony and bring this shit to have a Ratchet & Clank like game on their platform.

Oh and I love IGN's quote from their preview, "Banjo still includes some classic platforming." Ooooh I get to walk on a tightrope. Could have sworn I'd been doing that for years in these types of games. The video itself had maybe 10 seconds of actual Banjo and Kazooie on foot, and once again most of it appeared action oriented.

I'm probably overacting but this has always been one of my absolute favorite franchises (hell I even 100% completed Banjo-Pilot) and it's a fucking tragedy to have to see the series abandon its roots in favor of more destruction like gameplay.

Yes, you are.

SPEA

methodman said:
Split screen? Dude this is a dungeon crawler, both characters would be on the same screen; plus it's been a feature for a year plus. I've been looking forward to it since then :(
I meant Local. My bad. That was a typo on my part.

WrikaWrek said:
Saying "Amazing graphics", "Best looking game around", or any shit like that is like a Bat sign for certain people to appear.

It never, ever, like ever fails. When someone posts that, i know who and when is going to post.

Let's keep the whole graphics penis size out of here, cmon. GAF can't be just that right? Because that's what Gaf has been as of late.

Ha I hope I am not on that list.

f@luS

More than a member.
abacab driver said:
:lol @ the people dissapointed with Banjo not being Banjo64 in HD.
Sure , we have too many good platformers and we arent starving for new one.
..... lol @ your comment

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Rocksteady33 said:
110% agreed.

They clearly had to change the formula to fit with the FPS drone demographic on the 360. Why the fuck do I want to use missiles and aircrafts to complete my levels? Once again instead of Microsoft competing against Nintendo, they go straight after Sony and bring this shit to have a Ratchet & Clank like game on their platform.

Their not trying to compete with Nintendo, as a fan of games F$#% Nintendo.

God forbid they make a game thats actually going to sell to people that actually buy games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
marc^o^ said:
Banjo looks interesting but complicated. It does not quite have the simplicity of a mario game, which could result in it being a nice addition to the x360 library, but not a threat to Nintendo's mass market domination. What do you guys think: do you predict this Banjo will be a big system seller among casuals?

At first glance I agree. Banjo sounds very very interesting with great potential, but I wonder how much mass appeal it can have.

duckroll

soldat7 said:
I'm buying a PS3 for the d@mn game so doesn't that give me a pass? :D

I meant comparing Dennis Dyack with Hideo Kojima. In fact, the way each handled PR is the perfect example of the difference. Kojima doesn't offend people and promise things way beyond what he delivers. All Dyack does is overtalk his games, every single one of them. They never deliver on the scale he talks about and their trailers and screens are always weak. He handles criticism like a baby too, always whining about it and claiming that everyone will be "proven wrong". No one is ever proven wrong.

Eternal Darkness was filled with flaws, even though I'm personally a fan. I love the writing and the narrative of the game, but it's definitely not what Dennis talked up.

Twin Snakes? The way Dennis talked it up you would think it's a brand new game with tons of new features, not a straight port which couldn't even hold its framerate with MGS2 controls shoed-in with zero changes in game designs. VR missions? Nope, we had no time for that.

The only other two people I've seen in the industry that talks so much trash officially is Vic Ireland and Itagaki. One of them has bankrupted the company he ran, and the other actually delivers the shit he talks.

Ramenman

Cerrius said:
Nintendo should sue

Not for this.

But maybe for this :D

m995rd.png

2sa1n4l.png

24glqj5.png

Edit : AHEM Disclaimer before I get murdered : I actually thought Cerrius' post was a joke, so I actually responded to it with a joke.
I find it absolutely awesome that this thing got in an official trailer and it's really the kind of thing I'd like to see more between devs.
I DO NOT think Nintendo should sue.

Proelite

WrikaWrek said:
Saying "Amazing graphics", "Best looking game around", or any shit like that is like a Bat sign for certain people to appear.

It never, ever, like ever fails. When someone posts that, i know who and when is going to post.

Let's keep the whole graphics penis size out of here, cmon. GAF can't be just that right? Because that's what Gaf has been as of late.

So opinions are no longer welcome in Gaf? I see nothing wrong with people praising the gamers they like or prefer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Now Banjo is a game I would like to play.

Played the original briefly so I am without real knowledge of what it's about but that's what makes it more interesting to me.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm still not convinced about Banjo. It definitely looks fun; I just wish the balance was more in favor of platforming. ( And don't try to call me an innovation hater- saying that Banjo's possible change to a more vehicle focused game is "moving the genre forward" is like saying TBS elements in Soul Calibur 3 moved the fighting genre forward) Still, I have faith in the franchise and I'll give it a go no matter the outcome. (Assuming that, whatever it may be, it's quality)

watkinzez

Sooo, the constant complaint about Rare is that they always ripoff Nintendo in their games, and now it's... ugh. Can't get a break, can they.
Anyway, back to basking in AWESOME.

FFChris

Opus Angelorum said:
Considering all the hate EA receive for releasing games on a annual basis, it seems like all people want to play is the same fucking game over and over again...

Down with innovation, long live repetition!

Most people don't know what they fuck they want.

Including me.

:lol GAFFAS

Banjo will be the hotness. Haters will be eating their words when we learn more about the game or I dont know, they actually play it.

Is there a chance of anything else being announced? Besides Ninja Blade and LIPS...like a few suprises or anything?

traveler said:
I'm still not convinced about Banjo. It definitely looks fun; I just wish the balance was more in favor of platforming. ( And don't try to call me an innovation hater- saying that Banjo's possible change to a more vehicle focused game is "moving the genre forward" is like saying TBS elements in Soul Calibur 3 moved the fighting genre forward) Still, I have faith in the franchise and I'll give it a go no matter the outcome. (Assuming that, whatever it may be, it turns out as a quality material)

Again, how is solving problems with a machine you build not a platformer? Just because the machine has forward momentum and fires things? How is that different from launching fireballs? Or having a suit that lets you hover or jump higher?

I am completely stymied here.

methodman

Banned
m0dus said:
I too find the Rare hate amusing, particularly because it is coming from a large contingent of posters with mario / Nintendo inspired avatars -- that itself makes me curious as to how skewed their perspective might be... ;)
I think the same ones with the Mario/ Nintendo inspired avatars are the ones that bought the previous two games.

Grecco

BenjaminBirdie said:
How is this NOT a platformer?

A platformer isn't jumping, it's problem solving.

I always thought plataformer meant jumping from plataform to plataform.

Platform game, or platformer, is a video game genre characterized by jumping to and from suspended platforms or over obstacles. It must be possible to control these jumps and to fall from platforms or miss jumps. The most common unifying element to these games is a jump button; other jump mechanics include swinging from extendable arms, as in Ristar or Bionic Commando, or bouncing from springboards or trampolines, as in Alpha Waves. Games where jumping is automated completely, such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, fall outside of the genre.

Emiru

Banned
Flesh Into Gear said:

Banjo will be the hotness. Haters will be eating their words when we learn more about the game or I dont know, they actually play it.

Is there a chance of anything else being announced? Besides Ninja Blade and LIPS...like a few suprises or anything?
Look at my previous post.

Grecco said:
I always thought plataformer meant jumping from plataform to plataform.

Platform game, or platformer, is a video game genre characterized by jumping to and from suspended platforms or over obstacles. It must be possible to control these jumps and to fall from platforms or miss jumps. The most common unifying element to these games is a jump button; other jump mechanics include swinging from extendable arms, as in Ristar or Bionic Commando, or bouncing from springboards or trampolines, as in Alpha Waves. Games where jumping is automated completely, such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, fall outside of the genre.

Oh, brother. Never mind, seriously.

jacobs34

Flesh Into Gear said:

It's only 9:50 over there, I'm sure there is still plenty of stuff to come.

traveler

Not Wario
BenjaminBirdie said:
Again, how is solving problems with a machine you build not a platformer? Just because the machine has forward momentum and fires things? How is that different from launching fireballs? Or having a suit that lets you hover or jump higher?

I am completely stymied here.

It's not particularly. If the vehicular sections are more exploratory or puzzle solve-y in nature rather than being races, I'm down for them. The difference is that, in most platformers, the fire flowers and suits are supplements to the action and not, well, the main attraction as the appear to be here. Like I said, these are just my first impressions- I could be completely wrong in the end.

soldat7

duckroll said:
I meant comparing Dennis Dyack with Hideo Kojima. *snip*

I agree. He should have stuck to his philosophy of not revealing games before they're done. Until then I'm willing to give the game a chance and not condemn it outright.

burgerdog

-----------------------------
Originally Posted by Rocksteady33:
110% agreed.

They clearly had to change the formula to fit with the FPS drone demographic on the 360.
-----------------------------

lol What the fuck is that? So vehicles = FPS now?

Anyway, excellent NG2 trailer, and to think I was thinking about possibly skipping out on it. Excuse me while I slap myself.

pswii60

Flesh Into Gear said:

Ninja Blade and LIPS (if they exist) haven't been unveiled anyway. Fuck knows what all that was about.

Rocksteady33

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh for fuck's sake.
Even though this Gamer's Day has yet to showcase a single FPS that's all the 360 demographic is about isn't it?

So much ignorance.

Do you really think that after Microsoft gave Rare the ability to create Viva Pinata, and then watched it flop (and I don't need to hear "BU-BU-BUT IT SOLD 1 MILLION" that was after multiple, multiple price drops) they'd let them do it all over again? I mean sure the Viva Pinata brand is still kicking, which is nice, but let us not forget Microsoft did invest a shit ton into it and would be a waste to just give up now. Even Rare says they've made the sequel more easily accessible in hopes to bring more people in.

What I'm really trying to get at is I'm sure they did want to reinvent the game, but not in such a drastic way as this. Look at games like Mario Galaxy, it's completely new and changed the formula from its predecessors but there is absolutely no denying it sticks to the core roots of its previous 3D games. If I couldn't see the actual characters of Banjo-Kazooie within these screens/video I wouldn't guess that it would even be from the same franchise.

Had Rare stuck with its cute and cheeky self like it was on the N64 do you really think a good amount of people on the Xbox 360 userbase would even consider buying it? Fuck no. It had to have a facelift, it had to have a change in gameplay style (with a focus on action) in order for anyone to look at it.

Top Bottom