• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS marketing director: "We are going to kill Sony at E3!"

lantus

I haven't been impressed by a Microsoft press conference since the Final Fantasy XIIi reveal so many years ago. Looks like Microsoft has picked up the torch Sony left behind when it comes to corporate arrogance and bullshit.

Kyon

Banned
That's too low of a figure for the entire project, imo. But it all amounts to PR to me. They could be including first party salaries for all we know...

it is... maybe timed exclusive games and DLC?

'exclusive windows and things to create differentiation'

So timed exclusives and exclusive DLC.
I wouldn't assume they're outright buying exclusives - third parties are reluctant to do that.

yeah basically lol

amayo15

Banned
That probably means they have some crazy exclusive.

I don't know what exclusive would be so big that they'd say that. I can only imagine. New Warcraft? Something crazy surely. Mirror's Edge 2 is not going to kill Sony. Neither is Respawn's game. Halo MMO? Some other MMO? Half Life 3?

Very much doubt it.

While I very much agree Microsoft are going to have Many titles to show, alot of those titles will be from new, unproven studios. I expect alot of of CGI trailers and not much else.

So far the rumoured exclusives are not megatons. Dead rising started as an Xbox exclusive and while Mirrors edge is a muched loved niche title, its no system seller. Respawns game is maybe the dark horse but we will see.

Meanwhile im expecting Sony to have Demos of everything they show at least first party at E3.

But that brings us to another good point. If the new Xbox needs an internet connect, even one every 24 hours, how are demo booths going to work?

Zushin

However, the key for me was the end of a revealing interview with Craig Davidson, Director of Global Marketing Microsoft. According to him, "Xbox One will surprise the world during E3." Ending with a resounding "We will kill Sony at E3".

2307282-55860__jj_jameson_laughing_meme_1.jpg

Copenap

I'm kind of afraid of this, honestly. I'm afraid MS are going to show a bunch of really awesome games that I won't get to play because I refuse to support their console.
Just remind yourself of the 360 and that they will just stop making games a couple of years into the generation.
Edit: Yes, I'm still a bit salty about that.

I don't know what exclusive would be so big that they'd say that. I can only imagine. New Warcraft? Something crazy surely. Mirror's Edge 2 is not going to kill Sony. Neither is Respawn's game. Halo MMO? Some other MMO? Half Life 3?

They'd basically need GTA, CoD, Final Fantasy, Madden and FIFA as full exclusives for there to be any type of truth to it.

Well, this raises expectations slightly for E3. Not that I wasn't already excited for E3 but we'll see where this goes.

I love a little bit of aggression from Microsoft. This doesn't sound like a quote somebody would say without some good reason- I expect some megatons. I love new console generations!

spats

'exclusive windows and things to create differentiation'

So timed exclusives and exclusive DLC.
I wouldn't assume they're outright buying exclusives - third parties are reluctant to do that.

Big timed exclusives should be enough to widen the gap at launch. That sort of thing seems to work out very well for them.

Pistolero

They also talked about "deals they've made." Highly unlikely there won't be some moneyhats going around.

That's guaranteed. We've already got converging rumors about the upcoming exclusives : Titan (Next-gen Respawn's game), Dead Rising 3, Hawken...some Insomniac XBone only title...among other things.

Hanmik

Froch said the same thing to Mikkel Kessler before they boxed this weekend.. he did win the fight by the judges decisions, but he did not kill Kessler.
So are we going to be the judges this time..?

I wouldn't put it past MS to fk up the industry so bad with their policies, that the whole thing crashes. Bringing Sony down with them.

TrutaS

If Sony shows Uncharted 4 and Final Fantasy 15 then that is just absolutely impossible.

The only exception being Half-life 3 as a X1 exclusive which won't ever happen (and my PC comes first).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just remind yourself of the 360 and that they will just stop making games a couple of years into the generation.
I'm a total nerd for competitive shooters, and MS largely has that market locked down. And, in general, I prefer their first party offerings to Sony's. So, I expect skipping the Xbox One to be a bit of a painful choice for me.

Yea it sounds like something big. Or they are just talking shit to look tough

probably a little of both

nah, it really sounds like with enough far flung employees, there are so many sooner or later one will say something odd.

this is some guy from microsoft spain. i take the same dim view when the head of sony france says something controversial.

Eusis

I can think of two possible megatons. Half Life 3 and Doom 4. Otherwise these are empty threats.
I dunno, if all that talk about restrictive DRM were an elaborate ruse to say they had NOTHING there and Sony ended up revealing something, even something light, it probably would cause a complete reversal.

Or they really do have some amazing exclusives, in which case it's a matter of will (and banking on them being timed exclusives.) Dead Rising and Mirror's Edge 2 ARE pretty strong in and of themselves admittedly.

consoul

Before I clicked into this thread, I was sure the topic referred to how GAF are going to meltdown in murderous rage during E3 when Sony are found to be complicit with MS & publishers to shut down used games sales.

If Sony announce DRM as bad as XBO's, GAF will be out for blood.

amayo15

Banned
I haven't been impressed by a Microsoft press conference since the Final Fantasy XIIi reveal so many years ago. Looks like Microsoft has picked up the torch Sony left behind when it comes to corporate arrogance and bullshit.

That's odd, because Sony acted like they were the second coming of Jesus at their PS4 event. I kind of got equal arrogance from both imo. Microsoft and Sony are arrogant and Nintendo are ignorant. None have a great image right now. If you look outside of Playstation, Sony has a really bad public image at the moment due to arrogance - charging more than competitors in almost every category.

Big timed exclusives should be enough to widen the gap at launch. That sort of thing seems to work out very well for them.

I don't understand why people are marginalizing timed exclusives at the beginning of a generation. Those are absolutely huge gets in the big scheme of things. 5 years in, a timed exclusive won't carry nearly as much weight.

Also, I absolutely love Microsoft's confidence right now as I think their gaming product at E3 is going to be spectacular.

That's odd, because Sony acted like they were the second coming of Jesus at their PS4 event.

What's odd is that you thought Sony sounded arrogant at the PS Meeting when nearly every article about it talked about how humble they came across. Basically admitting all the screw ups they've made with the PS3 and how they plan to fix those with the PS4.

They also probably thought they were going to kill Sony at their reveal. Unless it was all in their masterplan to mess that up too.

RulkezX

Skipping X1 based off that comment alone. They stole Sony's arrogance and ran with it

Come on , this stuff is fantastic. If the presser is rubbish we get to laugh and MS get a ton of shit thrown their way, if they drop megatons then we get awesome new games.

No one loses here, I can't wait for E3

MCD

Sounds like a bunch of people here afraid MS will get more exclusives, whether they are 1st party or not.

Only in GAF where people are afraid of getting new games.

Darhan

I'm not supporting Microsoft policies no matter what. Sony have enough internal studios to make enough great games. And Microsoft can't buy all third party studios.

And their bets for games and for core gamers could be only for few years, as happend with 360. They did it once, could do it again.

That arrogance has to be punished, as Sony's was 7 years ago.

ActionMan

If anyone, SONY is going to kill themselves by confirming the exact same anti consumer shit mandated on PS4, that made XBONE is such a "hit" here.

That's odd, because Sony acted like they were the second coming of Jesus at their PS4 event. I kind of got equal arrogance from both imo. Microsoft and Sony are arrogant and Nintendo are ignorant. None have a great image right now. If you look outside of Playstation, Sony has a really bad public image at the moment due to arrogance - charging more than competitors in almost every category.

You're one of the very few who thought that of the PS Meeting, tbh. Sony were humble and pretty laid back, heck, most of them weren't even wearing suits.

spats

I don't understand why people are marginalizing timed exclusives at the beginning of a generation. Those are absolutely huge gets in the big scheme of things. 5 years in, a timed exclusive won't carry nearly as much weight.

The launch period is probably their biggest consolidated effort to gain public awareness and sell hardware. Timed exclusives near the launch window might be interpreted as permanent exclusives by a lot of consumers and that's what Microsoft wants.

Is anything 3rd-party REALLY exclusive anymore? Seeing Ninja Gaiden 2 show up on the PS3 (albeit as "Sigma 2") surprised me, as did the arrival of the first Mass Effect game after all these years. But the one that really blew my mind was that not even the GTA4 episodes, reputedly funded by a loan from MS, were anything more than timed exclusives.

Maybe I'd feel differently about it if I wasn't a husband and a father with a tiny amount of gaming time available to me, but timed exclusives really don't bother me at all. By the time I've gotten even a fraction of the way through my backlog, they're not exclusive anymore.

Google translate shows "Let's kill Sony at E3" for me. "Let's" isn't the same as "We'll".

Surely some Spanish speakers here can confirm how the sentence comes across in their language?

Also worth noting that it's been translated twice - from English to Spanish, and back to English. It likely sounds more arrogant than it is due to the context and tone getting lost in translation.

q0P8h0I.jpg

Kyon

Banned
MS doesnt have a 1 year head start this time around. We'll see who "kills" who. WW numbers are gonna be fun

Bring on the games

I'm not going to lie, I love it, and I mean love it, when one of the two sides gets this fired up about anything.

This is not hurting them. It only hurts them with people who already despise every word that comes out of their mouth. Microsoft sounds like they got some really big stuff planned that we don't know about, and I can't wait to find out what it all is.

I don't care. Talk trash, Talk big. Just bring it at E3.

They do. His name is agent Phil Harrison.

LOL!

I'm not supporting Microsoft policies no matter what. Sony have enough internal studios to make enough great games. And Microsoft can't buy all third party studios.

And their bets for games and for core gamers could be only for few years, as happend with 360. They did it once, could do it again.

That arrogance has to be punished, as Sony's was 7 years ago.

But if they get gamers to buy their system due to their early bets and aggressive behavior, then that's undoubtedly a win for them. I mean, once people have a system, they try to find new ways to get more enjoyment out of it. And I know it's very popular around these parts to say that the Xbox 360 had no games after a certain year, but there have been incredible games for the Xbox 360 every single year it has been out. It doesn't really matter that some of them were third parties. Some third party titles are some of the best games this generation. But even on the first party front, Halo 4 released just last year and is my favorite game in the entire franchise. It's not revolutionary, but then it doesn't need to be. It's the best experience I've had with a Halo singleplayer campaign. I enjoyed the story and gameplay more than any before it, and I feel no game has ever done the Chief and Cortana greater justice than Halo 4 has. I don't think you should take it personal that Microsoft are being hyper competitive. It's exciting for all gamers, unless of course you're afraid a competitive Microsoft may do something you might actually want done for your preferred machine, or that might compel you to actually want a One once the if or when you can ever get over your dislike for their policies.

Top Bottom