• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS using The Initiative to make Perfect Dark proves they are completely clueless when it comes to games

Chukhopops

People with either no taste or born in 2013 in this thread: "Perfect Dark was inferior to Goldeneye and only popular because of it"

Meanwhile in the real world this is Goldeneye:

Xqle3uo.jpg

And this is Perfect Dark:

EbBiUn6.jpg

PD was superior in every way to Goldeneye:
- Coop missions
- Way better framerate and/or resolution in every mode
- Voice acting in a N64 game
- More multiplayer maps and modes
- Multiplayer bots
- Botmatch challenges
- More interesting mission design
- More weapons and gadgets

The only game that can be considered as good as the original PD is TimeSplitters 2, which is basically PD a gen later.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It should be a new IP unless the developers at the initiative directly told microsoft they wanted to do perfect dark which I highly highly doubt.

From the sound of this video (starting at the 31 second mark) it looks like Perfect Dark was a natural fit for what they were creating anyway.

And let's be honest, the Perfect Dark IP is basically the perfect IP for a modern videogame. Futuristic sci fi spy game with a female lead.

Last edited:
They are working on another unannounced project too according to a twitter post I saw.
Anyway PD original was one of the best games ever better than Goldeneye which was also brilliant. Personally I am hyped for a reboot of PD as are all my friends, we all loved the N64 game, not so much the 360 sequel.
The game play and setting is perfect for a modern game, if they keep with the spying theme and give you plenty of fun gadgets to us.

RPS37

People with either no taste or born in 2013 in this thread: "Perfect Dark was inferior to Goldeneye and only popular because of it"

Meanwhile in the real world this is Goldeneye:

Xqle3uo.jpg

And this is Perfect Dark:

EbBiUn6.jpg

PD was superior in every way to Goldeneye:
- Coop missions
- Way better framerate and/or resolution in every mode
- Voice acting in a N64 game
- More multiplayer maps and modes
- Multiplayer bots
- Botmatch challenges
- More interesting mission design
- More weapons and gadgets

The only game that can be considered as good as the original PD is TimeSplitters 2, which is basically PD a gen later.

I feel like this should be a moot point, since the game will hopefully be nothing like the N64 game.

Chukhopops

I feel like this should be a moot point, since the game will hopefully be nothing like the N64 game.
I don’t know how the new game will be and if it will be mission based like the original - I’m just responding to all the downplaying of how amazing, innovative and well received the original PD was. That’s why I’m happy it’s being revived but I won’t speculate on the new one.

teezzy

Banned
The way I see it:

-Giving a newly formed team something established to focus on while they learn the ins and outs of their team members isn't the worst idea.
-You need to balance new and old IP and Microsoft does seem to have a lot of new ideas in the works.
-It can't be any worse than the last Perfect Dark.
-Perfect Dark done well could freshen up a stale genre.

tenor.gif

What would be dumb is for Microsoft to continue like they aren't sitting on this treasure trove of dormant IPs.

If they don't give us Banjo or Conker proper as well this gen, I might scream.

Fredrik

I think the game will be great, but MS is too scared of social media noise, I bet they’ll miss the mark completely on the character design and make Joanna into yet another boring political correct female lead.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It's a brilliant idea, put a studio with a huge budget and talent on reviving one of the most prestigious franchises in gaming history.

It gives you a massive head start to have a huge franchise like this and creates interest, if it didn't this stupid thread wouldn't exist.

So job done.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash.

We’ve been given the freedom to explore, try new things and operate like an independent studio, .....

Here is Perfect Dark Freeza ... ; is this freedom of choice? Explore new things? Not really.
Darrell Gallagher knew what he was going to make when he made Initiative and poached talent for that. Initiative studio logo is based on the Datadyne logo from Perfect Dark.
0lNAHz.png

DataDyne_emblem.jpg

They wanted to make this game.

Last edited:

Warablo

I feel like a lot of Microsofts first games will not be my style. Their only hope is Forza Horizon and the Zenimax purchase.

I was actually hoping the new Perfect Dark would be in third person to fit that Splinter Cell adventure niche.

Last edited:
So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.

Lmao, to me the biggest problem I have is just the mindset of creating a new studio for the sole purpose of churning out one single game. Like wtf?

343i is Halo, The Coalition is Gears, and now The Initiative is for Perfect Dark, and up until now, Playground was only Forza Horizon.

Like, I can't pinpoint any Sony studio besides Gran Turismo that the developer was meant to utilize their skills and specialized talent into making a racing sim, while most studios in Sony have been branching out more prominently with new ip's in the most recent generation.

It's just weird, and really kind of baffling, that the joke that all Xbox only ever has is Halo, Gears, Forza has lasted four generations when there's so many games that should have became mainstays in a lineup that could have organically began working on new ip's within time.

I always feel that Bungie leaving MS was a bad move. Seems like MS just wanted Halo and Bungie wanted to move on. It's equivalent if Sony decided to let Naughty Dog go since they wanted to move on from Uncharted and work on a new IP, The Last of US.

I dream of a world where Bungie made a new SP FPS while still being under MS wing, and that game was an evolution from Halo from top to bottom and further innovated the FPS world as much as Halo did upon release.

Too bad old Bungie is dead, and Halo just became that old guy trying to fit in with young crowd.

Last edited:

Larvana

it will still have a female going around spying, stealth mechanics some shooting not interested.

new original IP. they could have passed it on to The Coalition if they really needed to make this game. But a AAAA perfect dark doesn't exist.
So basically you didn't like perfect dark to begin with, gotcha.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
343i is Halo, The Coalition is Gears, and now The Initiative is for Perfect Dark, and up until now, Playground was only Forza Horizon.
You forget that 343i, Coalition, Turn 10 and Initiative are studios made by Microsoft.
Like, I can't pinpoint any Sony studio besides Gran Turismo that the developer was meant to utilize their skills and specialized talent into making a racing sim, while most studios in Sony have been branching out more prominently with new ip's in the most recent generation.
SSM - God of War
San Diego - MLB
It's equivalent if Sony decided to let Naughty Dog go since they wanted to move on from Uncharted and work on a new IP, The Last of US.
And now they are making a new studio in San Diego to make more Uncharted games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It would have been nice if it was just not another shooter.

Xbox is just full of shooter games. Maybe make something else?
Two of Microsoft’s highest rated games of all time came out this year and are Ori and Flight Sim. Hardly shooters are they? What else came from them this year? Grounded, Gears Tactics and Minecraft Dungeons. They’re diversifying more than Sony at present.

Moving forward they are betting on RPGs with Fable, Avowed and Bathesda’s game studios. Double Fine and Ninja Theory aren’t going to be making shooters either.

They’re clearly putting a lot of effort in to shaking off the ‘shooter only’ association, and it’s already showing with their current output.

Hudo

Yes, clearly, Phil and the management staff and the staff at Initiative have pulled all of this out of their asses without any thought spent on anything.

NahaNago

Perfect Dark being made is fine but the reveal was weak. You are creating sequel to I guess an older beloved game so they should have driven hard that nostalgia factor for those who loved that series. The second thing they should have done was create a trailer to generate hype for those unfamiliar with the series. I'm part of the second group with only smidgen of memory concerning perfect dark but that is mostly of her in sexy poses but that is because of the magazine gamefan. The reveal trailer just looked like a really pretty but generic looking first person shooter. Honestly without the name perfect dark attached to the trailer I would have completely given that game's trailer a negative pass and forgotten about after it's reveal.

I still don't understand how we can conclude that op when we don't know anything about the game other than a cgi based on the games theme ?

Its too soon to get to those conclusions imo. U could say you don't care about the ip and thats fine but thats more of a you problem.

MonarchJT

Banned
So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.
completely clueless rant about something you know zero about. ..okay

Kokoloko85

It could be a great game, I loved the 1st Game, the 2nd was ok.

From the interviews it seems they want to cross Mirrors Edge and Perfect Dark with some NPC interaction etc

wolffy71

Banned
Nobody has a clue if the game is going to play anything like the original. It might as well be a new ip as there's no limits on what they can do with gameplay. It's just too early to even suggest this game will resemble the PD from the past or be totally reimagined.

H-I-M

Did you see the reaction videos. Hardcore gamers are pumped as its an IP people love. PS Fanboys are angry for the same reason. Casuals who are older know this game and will play it. It's a great move

The announcement video has a little over 500K views.

If anything I'd say it looks like not many people are interested, so far.

I am somewhat dissapointed that this top tier studio didn't get to make their own new iP. I love Sony ips and it was a hard struggle for me to jump back to MS with the series X.. But I did.

Could end up a good game though. Cant really judge until I see the game.

wipeout364

I think it's a great idea, especially if it is a slower paced game like Deus ex rather than Call of duty. It's actually a really good IP to use with its female lead and the fact the guys who made the last one did such a poor job expectations will be a lot lower, I really like that the they are going for a more serious take as well. The last one was caught in some weird cartoon/realistic setting that didn't;t work as well. The writing was terrible as well.

Top Bottom