• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS using The Initiative to make Perfect Dark proves they are completely clueless when it comes to games

At this point I don't believe Microsoft can make anything new and good.

Is it that difficult to get Sakaguchi and make a new FF rival?

You just said you don't believe 'Microsoft' (really you mean the devs under Microsoft) can make anything new and good, but suggested them to do what they already did with Sakaguchi; which was make something new and good (Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon). Unfortunately, most people who share that sentiment either did not buy it on 360 or are simply Sony fanboys pretending to have bought it when in reality, they were too busy hyping the colossal disappointment that was Final Fantasy 13.
Either way, we're not getting another Sakaguchi epic.
You can still pretend like it's "that special something that's missing from Microsoft's line up" though. 👍

Or look at that Obsidian RPG game, Outer Worlds. Absolutely dull in every way possible, like a Chinese Fallout copy.

Oh you mean the Chinese copy that looks, feels, plays better and scored higher than everyones favorite Fallout game that Obsidian developed (New Vegas)?
(Which was a multiplat, by the way..)
This place is full of frauds, I swear...

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
MS has very little confidence with their developers it seems. Instead of letting them do grand new IPs with their own vision they get to dumpster dive for dead franchises.
How dare a bunch of experienced devs not listen to my opinion, I clearly know better about what should be made for plastic boxes I don't like!

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

But what if Perfect Dark ends up being a great game?

Its Perfect Dark in name, which had a great game and a shit game. Its a different universe anyway. Strong female lead, ecoterrorism, it seems to check the boxes. This project has a chance.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
OP, don't bullshit if you don't have the shit

- you learn that Microsoft is forcing?
Even thou you have no proof of that, do you have any idea how publishers works?! Because guess what, studios are always with these "forcing" tasks
- this studio is clueless?
Guy from 2018's God of War is on it, people from the original Tomb Raider is on it, guy that wrote Red Dead Redemption is on it

Also, the game is at best in the earliest stage of development. It's a fucking fetus. You can't judge a fetus.

Don't be a bitch and let the game at least have a alpha stage to say something

TeamGhobad

Banned
I'm sure the game will be great and all for anyone that is interested in Perfect Dark, im not. But I'm disappointed because I wanted to see a new IP from The Initiative.

VertigoOA

Banned
It’ll be a new game for them regardless. It’s not like anyone actually cares about Perfect Dark other than Nintendo fanboys that act like PD64 and TimeSplitters are the greatest shooters of all time ...

Haters in Perfect Dark reboot thread(s):

WHY MAKE THIS?? THE SEQUEL (though I wasnt around to realize it was a prequel) WAS BAD!! GOLDENEYE WAS BETTER (David Jaffe told me so)!! DEAD LIFELESS IP FORCED ON TALENTED DEVS!!

Same people in the new Sony San Diego studio thread(s):

"PLEASE REBOOT SYPHON FILTER!!!!" 😲

VertigoOA

Banned
Syphon Filter was a more successful IP tho...

I don’t even dislike PDZ. It’s pvp carried 360 launch for me and the online co-op for the campaign was great.

It’s like people just remember wall guy... it was a good game for sure.

I’m interested to see what they do with it but still not getting a Series X for it that’s for sure

Last edited:

Chukhopops

So your counting re-releases on several plattforms according to a french Wikipedia side.

Since when has Bloodborn been a HUGE IP. It's has a cult fallowing and is a great game, but huge IP? No.
Want an English article, it's here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games

Same numbers, no mention of rereleases, don't know what you are talking about. PD was never rereleased aside from the XBLA version for which there is no sales data afaik.

2.5 million in 2000 is big numbers whether you admit it or not, especially since the N64 sold 33 Million worldwide - that's a very high attach rate. Majora's Mask sold 3.3 million, Mario Party 2.7 million.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s.
Stopped reading there.

Dude, that game had better level and objective design than most of current AAA games. And the multiplayer was sublime.

I don't know how they'll design the new PD, but if it's something like the old one instead of the linear shooty shooty we have today, then I'll be all in.

Belmonte

I never had the opportunity to play Perfect Dark, but I'm down for any non cinematic FPS. Despite Doom Eternal, we have too few of them these days.

And judging by videos, Perfect Dark 1 seems awesome. More advanced level design than many current FPSs, cool setting and nice gadgets. I hope the enemies have localized damage in the new Perfect Dark also.

Fredrik

Two of Microsoft’s highest rated games of all time came out this year and are Ori and Flight Sim. Hardly shooters are they? What else came from them this year? Grounded, Gears Tactics and Minecraft Dungeons. They’re diversifying more than Sony at present.

Moving forward they are betting on RPGs with Fable, Avowed and Bathesda’s game studios. Double Fine and Ninja Theory aren’t going to be making shooters either.

They’re clearly putting a lot of effort in to shaking off the ‘shooter only’ association, and it’s already showing with their current output.
Don’t forget about Ori and the Will of the Wisps! Published only but it’s still Microsoft’s IP and it’s oh so good. Hopefully Moon wants to return to it whenever they’re done with their unknown multiplat, I don’t see anybody else capable of doing something with that IP while Moon is off doing other things so it’ll be on hiatus until next gen I guess.

Roberts

It's kind of cute you think they are forced to make it, especially when developers from various MS studios have said multiple times that nobody forces them to make this or that, and that MS respects their creative freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Self

Want an English article, it's here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games

Same numbers, no mention of rereleases, don't know what you are talking about. PD was never rereleased aside from the XBLA version for which there is no sales data afaik.

2.5 million in 2000 is big numbers whether you admit it or not, especially since the N64 sold 33 Million worldwide - that's a very high attach rate. Majora's Mask sold 3.3 million, Mario Party 2.7 million.
The french site you referred to was stating several re-releases on several plattforms. Hence my comment.

It boils down to what people mean with 'huge IP's', that's what I'm referring to. I find it silly to talk about huge IP when we just talk about succeful games. Perfect Dark simply has not enough momentum or mindshare to label it in that way.

Exitebike sold nearly as much units on N64, but I wouldn't consider it a huge IP. But that's me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's kind of cute you think they are forced to make it, especially when developers from various MS studios have said multiple times that nobody forces them to make this or that.

Sure, but that is half true and half PR speak (what studio would say “we are forced to do games this way?”... sure not a proof of the contrary either. Remember when Guerrilla was hosting an internal competition for the new IP and it just so happened to be what the top brass had pitched? Whoa 😳.

Last edited:
Attacking a project we have no gameplay or idea of how they’re reimagining the story or lore or what will be different in anyways is just asinine. How about giving them a chance to formulate their ideas and present it first or is that not allowed?

Porcile

I love Perfect Dark but if it's another cinematic 3rd person shooter then MS can get da fuck out. I'm just praying against hope that it's an objective based FPS with a semi sandbox feel like you know that game, Perfect Dark.

Chukhopops

The french site you referred to was stating several re-releases on several plattforms. Hence my comment.

It boils down to what people mean with 'huge IP's', that's what I'm referring to. I find it silly to talk about huge IP when we just talk about succeful games. Perfect Dark simply has not enough momentum or mindshare to label it in that way.

Exitebike sold nearly as much units on N64, but I wouldn't consider it a huge IP. But that's me.
It's an opinion in the end, I can respect that. I remember myself being hyped for it in 2000 since a) it was a Rare game, basically the best developer after Nintendo and b) we had been playing Goldeneye for years and wanted to play a different multiplayer game.

Self

It's an opinion in the end, I can respect that. I remember myself being hyped for it in 2000 since a) it was a Rare game, basically the best developer after Nintendo and b) we had been playing Goldeneye for years and wanted to play a different multiplayer game.

I hear you mate. We played the shit out of Golden Eye and Duke Nukem at that time. PD wasn't the game we all hoped for, but still very decent. I remember we also had a great time with Timesplitters on GameCube. Great times!

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Yeah God of War wasn't relevant for a long time and them we got that 2018 release....
Nailed it. God of War was a worse Darksiders and they made it arguably the best third person action game of the generation. Let’s see what The Initiative can do with Perfect Dark.

SCB3

For a franchise that only had 3 entries (and I'm being generous including the GBC version) I think its completely fine to go back to and do a new/reboot version, I enjoyed all 3 games and if we're being honest, if it wasn't for the success of Goldeneye I don't think people would've looked at PD so fondly

My only wish is for Rare to do it again, but they're busy with Sea of Thieves and their new IP

Banned
For a franchise that only had 3 entries (and I'm being generous including the GBC version) I think its completely fine to go back to and do a new/reboot version, I enjoyed all 3 games and if we're being honest, if it wasn't for the success of Goldeneye I don't think people would've looked at PD so fondly

My only wish is for Rare to do it again, but they're busy with Sea of Thieves and their new IP

almost noone who worked on the og Perfect Dark is even at Rare anymore. most of the PD team left after PD and formed Free Radical to make Time Splitters, with Time Splitters 2 being very much a successor to Perfect Dark

so if anything, THQ Dambuster... or Deep Silver Dambuster or whatever they will be renamed to next week... those guys would be the ones to go to if you want some of the original devs on the project.
that's what Free Radical is called now after being bought by Crytek, renamed to Crytek UK, then sold to THQnordic/Deep Silver and renamed THQ Dambuster and variants of that name.

Last edited:

oldergamer

The worst thing about this thread are people coming into it after reading the first post (OP being someone that has no idea that the initiatives first game was their own choice) and basically saying how they agree.

Are people that blind that they can't think for themselves? MS owns a lot of IP. This was the studios choice to make a game based on the name.

subsmoke

This topic is very GameFAQs-esque and it's one of the reasons that place sucks so much. There are a lot of topics on there that basically boil down to "I don't like this game, therefore it's bad and shouldn't exist" or in this case it's "I don't like this series and believe it's overrated so Rare is wasting their talents by making it." These kinds of posts aren't written in good faith and are only made to provoke people and they usually devolve into pissing contests. Can we please not turn into GameFAQs?

Anyway I'm just now finding out about the new PD game and I loved the original so I'm pretty psyched for this. Hoping it comes out for PC too so I can play it since I don't have an Xbox and don't see a point in getting one just to play one game.

Hezekiah

Banned
It's a brilliant idea, put a studio with a huge budget and talent on reviving one of the most prestigious franchises in gaming history.

It gives you a massive head start to have a huge franchise like this and creates interest, if it didn't this stupid thread wouldn't exist.

So job done.
DXo4.gif

I'm looking forward to seing this game, but damn.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's a name everyone knows. Making this a PD reboot instead of an entirely new IP gives the game more buzz and costs them nothing. They can still make any kind of game they want.

Topfuel

So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.

The hot talent can not say no to any job offer?

Sony is forcing Guerilla employees to make a new Horizon?

Last edited:
Top Bottom