• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTV Reggie interview (DICE) - 1st party releases, MP3, Earthbound, Wii & DS supply

ziran

Where Are All The Wiis, DS Lites? Nintendo Exec Has The Answer

Another good interview by Stephen Totilo. Some extracts:

1st and 3rd Party releases:
But the fate of a gaming executive is not to relish what has been delivered but to figure out how to satisfy demand for what people want next. "A year ago, people were challenging me: 'What are you going to do to make sure there's strong third-party support?' " Fils-Aime said. "We have it. Now folks are saying, 'Where's all your strong first-party titles?' They're coming. But we're being very strategic when we're going to launch them. And we're making sure our licensees enjoy success on their titles and that the spacing makes sense."
Metroid Prime 3:
"What I will tell you about 'Metroid' is that 'Metroid' will be fabulous," he said. "I think it's fair to say that all of us were disappointed with the sales of 'Metroid Prime 2,' [the game's developer] Retro included. The focus on 'Prime 3' is to make that the stellar game for a first-person experience on the platform. ... What that means is we're going to make sure it's perfect when we launch it. I think this is one where your readers — the fans of Nintendo, the core gamer — need to recognize that when we release it, it will be perfect. And if that's a little later than folks would have liked, I'm hoping they're going to be happy. They certainly seem to be happy that we took our time with '[The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.' " With that kind of talk, the obvious follow-up question was: "If it's perfect, does that mean it's going to be online?" In response, Fils-Aime said: "That's perfect for you."
Mother/Earthbound:
From the most hyped games to the somewhat more obscure, Fils-Aime will discuss any possible title for Nintendo systems. So what of "Mother 3," a 2006 Game Boy Advance game released to cult acclaim in Japan but never so much as whispered for a U.S. release (see "Where Does A Game Called 'Mother' Outsell 'Halo'? Check Out Tokyo's Coolest Street")? The game has such a strong online following that a group of committed fans have vowed to produce their own translated version of the game if Nintendo won't. Fils-Aime has never played the game, but he knows about the translation project. He said the "Mother" series (known as "Earthbound" when "Mother 2" was released in the U.S.) is important to Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's president, who worked on the series years ago as a developer. "It certainly is a franchise near and dear to his heart, and it's something I'm trying to get smart on to understand whether or not there is an opportunity here. But certainly I've seen the success in Japan. That hasn't gone unnoticed. And it's certainly something we're looking at."
Interesting to hear Nintendo giving 3rd party titles room to sell as well as they can, which makes sense from what's been happening, and from the sales it looks like its working. I think Sonic is also going to sell well and has the space to. This can only help relationships between Nintendo and 3rd parties, which has to be positive.

Promising news about Mother 3, which is great to hear. I'm happy Totilo asked the question, because so many interviewers wouldn't and haven't. At least we know it's on the radar. If it doesn't come to GBA maybe it will be released on VC.

Metroid Prime 3 sounds like it's going to a while :( but be awesome when it arrives!!! :D

There's also talk about Wii and DS's supply, and the possibility of Nintendo Power coming to Wii online.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
yay for no information Nintendo interviews.

Games will release when they're ready (no dates)

Sometimes, games are ready and we let them cook longer to space things out

3rd parties all love us (yet no mention of any large 3rd party exclusives)

It's been this way since the N64 days, these interviews are worthless.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so iwata is the asshole withholding mother 3 from a english release? some of the japanese gaffers should get on this stat!

jwj442

Depends on how you interpret it. He could be saying "yes, online play is part of it being perfect." Or he could mean "that's part of your definition of perfect, but not mine."

Gio_CoD

Banned
jwj442 said:
Depends on how you interpret it. He could be saying "yes, online play is part of it being perfect." Or he could mean "that's part of your definition of perfect, but not mine."
But Nintendo usually isn't that coy. Especially when it comes to online. If he wasn't going to add online play, the typical Nintendo non-answer would be:

"While we recognize that online play has growing support, we're not sure that there are enough fans out there to really justify putting it in at this time. When we say perfect, we want it to be the perfect cinematic and interactive experience, and that's what Retro is putting all it's effort into. We're constantly evaluating the online arena, and if we determine that a game like Metroid can benefit from it, we would certainly include it."

I should be a Nintendo spokesman.

AniHawk

They must've been working really hard on Metroid Prime 3 behind the scenes to make it 2D since they're making it perfect.

fresquito

There are other downloadable-content ideas floating around too. "We have a tremendous amount of old Nintendo Power [magazine] content, for example, that we could present to consumers as a way to get smart about Virtual Console."
Guide channel?

Cheerilee

Somehow, I read the MP3 bit as meaning "Like Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 will be perfect in the eyes of Nintendo fanboys."
I think this is one where your readers — the fans of Nintendo, the core gamer — need to recognize that when we release it, it will be perfect.

"If it's perfect, does that mean it's going to be online?" In response, Fils-Aime said: "That's perfect for you."

And for Mother 3, I read that Iwata favors the series, but Reggie is in charge of America and he currently doesn't understand the appeal.

Edit: Added quote.

ziran

jwj442 said:
i tend to think he didn't confirm online play, rather he said having online would be in the definition of a perfect metroid game for the interviewer.

AniHawk said:
They must've been working really hard on Metroid Prime 3 behind the scenes to make it 2D since they're making it perfect.
metroid dread, traditional 2d, in development for wii by sakamoto and team at spd1. believe!

fresquito said:
Guide channel?
i think it would be great. if nintendo put all the np and guides available for download, it would be a really good service, free of charge obviously.

also, the idea nintendo could release an online issue of the magazine every month, in each territory to compliment the official mags would also be good.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Ziran,

I asked him about whether Mother 3 being a GBA game should count it out of contention, or if the VC was a possible solution. He claimed either platform was a possibility.

So as has been noted here he was vague on that too. But at least, for the Mother 3 fans out there, he didn't take the bait when I offered him the out of saying "it's a GBA game, and we're not doing GBA anymore."

It's pretty much a given that Nintendo execs won't reveal big info in interviews like this, but I still find them useful to do, to touch on pertinent issues (lack of DS supply, being one I'm hearing lots of complaints about) and to bounce unexpected topics (like Mother 3) off them to see what the general company mood is on them.

Thanks for the link

-Stephen

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
22956_13ca51b9.jpg

Cheerilee

"We apologize that it continues to be a difficult problem to get your hands on [a Wii]," he said, acknowledging the short supply that has stymied many people anxious to get their hands on Nintendo's new console. "The fact is, we manufactured 4 million Wii consoles by the end of the calendar year. Our challenge was getting them not only into our warehouses and then into warehouses of our retailers, but there is some handling of the consoles in terms of putting the "Wii Sports" disc in. That whole inventory chain is what prevented us from selling all 4 million that had been produced." He said production is being ramped to 1 million systems a month, with a further ramp-up in the future.
So it wasn't the wrist strap recall.

Wiisports being added by NOA is not just the reason the Wii is $250, but it's also the reason NOA was only able to ship about half the units they received.

jwj442

ruby_onix said:

Wiisports being added by NOA is not just the reason the Wii is $250, but it's also the reason NOA was only able to ship about half the units they received.
If Wii Sports weren't a pack-in, though, it would be a lot less of a hit among non-gamers.

ant1532

Banned
AniHawk said:
:lol :lol

Hopefully there is some Dread/Prime 3 connection..

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it'd be nice to see nintendo pull another metroid prime/metroid fusion double-hit like they did back in '02--corruption and a new 2d ds game (presumably dread?) would make for a lovely lovely '07.

NotWii

Banned
Great, more crappy online Metroid.
Metroid will never work in multiplayer as a quake/unreal tournament/halo kinda game.
Nintendo should create a new IP for Online Multiplayer FPS.

A year ago, people were challenging me: 'What are you going to do to make sure there's strong third-party support?' " Fils-Aime said. "We have it.
Then howbout squeezing some good games out of them?

and it's something I'm trying to get smart on to understand whether or not there is an opportunity here. But certainly I've seen the success in Japan. That hasn't gone unnoticed. And it's certainly something we're looking at."
Get smart and look at it faster, you're the holdup!

Goddam I hate Reggie.

Cheerilee

jwj442 said:
If Wii Sports weren't a pack-in, though, it would be a lot less of a hit among non-gamers.
Assuming there's a 50/50 split between gamer and non-gamer Wii owners, all they would need is at least a 75/25 gamer/non-gamer split if they had twice the consoles, and then you'd have just as much of a non-gamer hit, with three times as many gamers, and no shortages for anyone (gamer and non-gamer alike).

ziran

stephentotilo said:
Ziran,

I asked him about whether Mother 3 being a GBA game should count it out of contention, or if the VC was a possible solution. He claimed either platform was a possibility.

So as has been noted here he was vague on that too. But at least, for the Mother 3 fans out there, he didn't take the bait when I offered him the out of saying "it's a GBA game, and we're not doing GBA anymore."

It's pretty much a given that Nintendo execs won't reveal big info in interviews like this, but I still find them useful to do, to touch on pertinent issues (lack of DS supply, being one I'm hearing lots of complaints about) and to bounce unexpected topics (like Mother 3) off them to see what the general company mood is on them.

Thanks for the link

-Stephen
that's great to hear. i'm a fan of series, and loved earthbound on the snes, so it's good to know the game is at least being discussed at nintendo.

i didn't expect anything big from nintendo yet, in terms of announcements, because it's so close to launch and there are still supply issues, so i'm happy to hear about the mother series, thanks for asking the question. it's the first time i've heard reggie talk about it.

ruby_onix said:

yeah, it's surprising. of all the things which could've slowed down units getting to retail i didn't even think about the addtion of the wii sports disc. however, like jwj442 said, i think it was essential.

fresquito

Wii said:
Great, more crappy online Metroid.
Metroid will never work in multiplayer as a quake/unreal tournament/halo kinda game.
Nintendo should create a new IP for Online Multiplayer FPS.
They should let Retro or NST create a new FPS, sometthing in line with Perfect Dark would be great. Let Metroid be :-/
Then howbout squeezing some good games out of them?
Well, some games being released in March look nice (SSX Blur and Sonic, I'm looking at you).

aku:jiki

stephentotilo said:
I thought I had seen you around here before! Good interview, but would you mind clarifying that last line about MP3 for us?

Did he say "that's perfect for you" in that tone, or did he say it in a "I told you it was perfect, of course it's online" type of tone?

Amir0x

Banned
Reggie said:
"It certainly is a franchise near and dear to his heart, and it's something I'm trying to get smart on to understand whether or not there is an opportunity here. But certainly I've seen the success in Japan. That hasn't gone unnoticed. And it's certainly something we're looking at."

oh no Nintendo.

oh ****ing no. This is one trap I won't fall for.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm still a tad worried about MP3's controls...

Holding the Wii-mote in the required position just isn't all that comfortable and I've yet to enjoy any of the aiming systems present in various Wii titles. I'd much prefer the original control scheme as the fluidity of motion really worked well with the game (even those so many bitched about it). It simply should not play like an FPS.

They also better pull off 60 fps.

I have a lot of faith in Retro, but I still feel the game is on the wrong platform (not that there would be any other potential platform as it IS a Nintendo franchise). A more powerful machine would benefit the series much more than the Wii-mote.

The GBA is dead IMO, but you won't hear anyone from Nintendo actually say so since the HW sales are still chugging along even with nothing but licensed kiddy shovelware on the shelves. FFVI will effectively be the last game for the system, though it should've been released 5 years ago.

In order for Mother 3 to be released on the VC, it'd have to be ported to the Super NES or a GBA emulator would have to be written for the Wii. I'd say there's a better chance of Goldeneye making it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Cheesemeister said:
The GBA is dead IMO, but you won't hear anyone from Nintendo actually say so since the HW sales are still chugging along even with nothing but licensed kiddy shovelware on the shelves. FFVI will effectively be the last game for the system, though it should've been released 5 years ago.

In order for Mother 3 to be released on the VC, it'd have to be ported to the Super NES or a GBA emulator would have to be written for the Wii. I'd say there's a better chance of Goldeneye making it.

Why wouldn't they make a GBA emulator for Wii, though? They have a bunch of GBA titles no longer in production or available for purchase retail, so it's not as if it would be taking money out of their pocket. Plus it would be a good way to get some people not currently involved in the hand-held 'scene' to realize that there are some good games to be had there.

NeonZ

Huh... it could just be ported to the "Wii", besides, they already have a GBA emulator for a similar hardware...

x Maiku x

Pssh. Don't get your hopes up. Mother 3 will never come west, unfortunately. Reggie is too busy pushing bone in the back room with Allard to get a translation going. Give up and play the game using one of the great story translation guides.

jjasper

dark10x said:
I'm still a tad worried about MP3's controls...

Holding the Wii-mote in the required position just isn't all that comfortable and I've yet to enjoy any of the aiming systems present in various Wii titles. I'd much prefer the original control scheme as the fluidity of motion really worked well with the game (even those so many bitched about it). It simply should not play like an FPS.

They also better pull off 60 fps.

I have a lot of faith in Retro, but I still feel the game is on the wrong platform (not that there would be any other potential platform as it IS a Nintendo franchise). A more powerful machine would benefit the series much more than the Wii-mote.

Yeah I actually liked the MP controls they always felt normal to me, even when MP2 and Halo 2 came out around the same time and I was constantly switching between the two games. But at the same time the first games Nintendo games I thought of when I saw the controller was Zelda and Metroid (Zelda for swinging the sword, and Metroid for the gun). I haven't really been keeping up with Metroid all that much (even though it is my most wanted Wii game) but if they keep the controls so that you turn and go forward and backword with the stick, and then have it so you can point and lock on with the remote (using Z on the nunchuck to lock on) and one you lock on it is like the other games where you can do the dodging and stuff without having to constantly point at the screen I think it will have the same feel.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
aren't gba games a little low on frames(in animations) to be played on big screens?

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
aku:jiki,

The tone of the "perfect for you" line was that he was telling me "You, Stephen, would think that online is needed for it to be perfect, but I'm not going to tell you right now what perfection is for me." You could parse that five different ways, so take it for what you will.

-Stephen

Kreed

Amir0x said:
oh no Nintendo.

oh ****ing no. This is one trap I won't fall for.

This interview on Mother 3 is a LOT more promising than past interviews with Nintendo execs flat out saying the game isn't coming to the US or making excuses for the game not being translated. I'd say the US release of Mother 3 is at least in Kid Icarus/Metroid Dread territory after this interview.

Luna104

Stephen,

Since E3 as we know it is gone, you should have asked him when we can expect a new wave of first party software announcements.

stephentotilo said:
aku:jiki,

The tone of the "perfect for you" line was that he was telling me "You, Stephen, would think that online is needed for it to be perfect, but I'm not going to tell you right now what perfection is for me." You could parse that five different ways, so take it for what you will.

-Stephen

he's saying after Hunters that's not the direction they're interested in

He says really nothing at the end, but I appreciate Reggie because he's clear when he speaks ! And not neboulous as Kaplan or Harrison.

This doesn't mean that what he says is true of course. What I mean is that he knows how to work in the industry and Nintendo need personalities like him.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Luna,

I've been asking everyone that for a while. As I recall when I asked him about a Q2 line-up announcement, he said it would be coming "very shortly" and then we wasted about 30 seconds volleying back and forth definitions of that phrase. He wasn't saying.

He wouldn't even confirm the Paper Mario Wii date in a direct way (just saying one would expect Nintendo Power to have reliable info), and then that was confirmed clearly as could be just a couple of days later.

That's just how it goes with these things...

-Stephen

Hero

Another MTV article that puts some of the dedicated media outlets look bad. Good interview. Asking Reggie what's up with Mother 3 was nice, wonder exactly what would need to happen for Reggie to get it released here.

And I think that pretty much confirms Metroid Prime being the game debut of Nintendo's online network. This was the first Wii game we ever saw in development and I just cannot believe that they're still working on the actual single player mission content.

Top Bottom