• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTV Reggie interview (DICE) - 1st party releases, MP3, Earthbound, Wii & DS supply

tanod

when is my burrito
I don't understand the excitement over Prime 3. 1 was awesome.

2 - pretty, but meh. It was like playing the first one again without a good story setup and the nostalgia of exploring a world that was similar to the previous games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
but if they keep the controls so that you turn and go forward and backword with the stick, and then have it so you can point and lock on with the remote (using Z on the nunchuck to lock on) and one you lock on it is like the other games where you can do the dodging and stuff without having to constantly point at the screen I think it will have the same feel.
Is this how the demo was handled? I was under the impression that they were going for a fully Wii-mote driven viewpoint (ala CoD3 or any other FPS). The method you mention is far more interesting. I absolutely HATE using the Wii-mote for FPS viewpoint control...but I wouldn't mind using it to aim a cross hair while turning with the analog stick.

Good interview in that the questions were informed
Bad interview in that Nintendo is a waste of time as they rarely answer questions

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
dark10x said:
Is this how the demo was handled? I was under the impression that they were going for a fully Wii-mote driven viewpoint (ala CoD3 or any other FPS). The method you mention is far more interesting. I absolutely HATE using the Wii-mote for FPS viewpoint control...but I wouldn't mind using it to aim a cross hair while turning with the analog stick.

You could still lock-on when I played it.
Thought it was lame though, made it too easy - and combat in Prime was never hard to begin with.

sphinx

the piano man
"Nintendo of America" is a placeholder.

Reggie, Perrin and every other nintendo exeutive in US or EU have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER about what will happen beyond the next 3 months in the world of nintendo.

Iwata and japanese company is all that matters and they keep their decisions locked in their business hall in kyoto and SOMETIMES they tell US and EU what they are going to do.

I will NEVER forget this

http://cube.ign.com/articles/594/594834p1.html

IGN interviewing reggie pre E3 2005 said:
IGNcube: So we can expect to see something on Mario 128 at E3?

Reggie: Yes. In terms of how we're going to show Mario 128, though, it's likely that we'll show it in video form more than playable. We have so many great games in playable form already.

I mean, can he be any more ****ing clueless??

Mario 128 NEVER REALLY EXISTED!!! It was a bunch of experiments by miyamoto that then turned into mario galaxy ( perhaps.. )

Reggie words about mother 3 are as noteworthy as my hunch that Baten Kaitos DS will appear on a purple DS.

jjasper

dark10x said:

I don't know but I hope there is at least an option for it as I think it would work much better this way than trying to be an FPS.

[Nintex]

Metroid Prime 3 perfect?
Did they ditched the multiplayer, space ships, fleets and just made a huge planet to explore with Ice caverns, Jungle's, vulcano's, lost civilizations and best boss battles ever?

[Nintex] said:
Metroid Prime 3 perfect?
Did they ditched the multiplayer, space ships, fleets and just made a huge planet to explore with Ice caverns, Jungle's, vulcano's, lost civilizations and best boss battles ever?

It would have to involve firing Retro and returning Metroid to R&D1.

So, pack of lies that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
John Harker said:
You could still lock-on when I played it.
Thought it was lame though, made it too easy - and combat in Prime was never hard to begin with.
Combat should never be the focus either. Was the combat in the 2D games difficult? No, not really. Bosses? Perhaps...but so were Prime's.

Lapsed

Banned
Reggie saying that Nintendo was disapointed by Metroid Prime 2's sales is surprising. The game did sell over a million (on the limited installed base of the Gamecube).

If Metroid Prime 2's sales are 'disapointing', then Metroid Zero Mission's sales have to be 'abysmal' and is probably why Metroid Dread got canceled (if it ever existed in the first place).

To those of you demanding a new 2d Metroid, well... LOL. That is definately not going to be happening now.

One thing that always surprises me about GAF is the worship of games like Super Metroid-eque type 2d Metroids over common sales sense. Nintendo listened to your love of Super Metroid and made two 2d GBA Metroids. Fusion sold decently but Zero Mission was utter flop. Meanwhile, Metroid Prime is the best selling Metroid game ever. Why do you keep attacking Nintendo for following the path of greater sales?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Lapsed said:
Why do you keep attacking Nintendo for following the path of greater sales?

Because in videogame Utopia, the developers make the games the hardcore gamers want to play, not the games the unwashed masses want to buy.

In my particular version, I'd be sitting at home looking at a stack of Ogre Battle games for my portable holodeck.

Couple that with nostalgia and voila.

hmm so if MZM was a flop, does this mean that we will never see a new F-Zero game? MZM sold better than any of the recent F-Zero games. only the first 3 beat it in sales.
now i understand why Climax never came out here.

sometimes sales become the worst thing in the world.

Lapsed said:
Reggie saying that Nintendo was disapointed by Metroid Prime 2's sales is surprising. The game did sell over a million (on the limited installed base of the Gamecube).

If Metroid Prime 2's sales are 'disapointing', then Metroid Zero Mission's sales have to be 'abysmal' and is probably why Metroid Dread got canceled (if it ever existed in the first place).

To those of you demanding a new 2d Metroid, well... LOL. That is definately not going to be happening now.

One thing that always surprises me about GAF is the worship of games like Super Metroid-eque type 2d Metroids over common sales sense. Nintendo listened to your love of Super Metroid and made two 2d GBA Metroids. Fusion sold decently but Zero Mission was utter flop. Meanwhile, Metroid Prime is the best selling Metroid game ever. Why do you keep attacking Nintendo for following the path of greater sales?

Because it ****ing sucks. Prime is absolute, unadulterated ARSE IN A BUCKET.

Next thing you know they'll be turning Fire Emblem into a FF clone to get better sales.

sphinx

the piano man
Dragona Akehi said:

Next thing you know they'll be turning Fire Emblem into a FF clone to get better sales.

the first time I felt Nintendo was blatantly and shamelessly following the path of sales over anything else was with Zelda: Twilight princess:

kind of generic presentation that casuals love.
"bad-ass" looking characters that should attract the male between 18 - 35,
Big world but sort of lifeless having less sidequests and being more action oriented.
Little care for developing the story of the whole zelda saga, even if the whole Midna incident entertains.

in that sense, yeah I don't like nintendo following the path of sales.

Dragona Akehi said:
Next thing you know, they'll like... have a game where Fire Emblem and Metroid can FIGHT. That'd be awesome.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Dragona Akehi said:
wtf, Metroid Prime? shit in a bucket? :lol

jjasper

Lapsed said:

Well Metroid Prime was a better game (and a better Metroid game too) than Fusion

Vic

Dragona Akehi said:
You could use that turn of phrase. Even something like "ASS ASS ASSITY ASS ASS ASS ASS YOUR MOTHER'S ASS SHIT COCK SHIT ASS" works just as well.
If you say so

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Echoes sold over a million?
Since when? I thought it didnt even reach 600k

Vic

Need to requote this

'Where's all your strong first-party titles?' They're coming. But we're being very strategic when we're going to launch them. And we're making sure our licensees enjoy success on their titles and that the spacing makes sense.'
And I think this strategy is applied for the DS, Wii and Virtual Console

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
What the **** is with the prime bashing? One of the best reviewed games ever and IMO the best game of last gen. Everything about it was brilliant.

John Harker said:
Since when? I thought it didnt even reach 600

It's over 750k in the US alone, it also did around 50k in Japan. Whether or not Europe sold over 200k is the only question.

CorwinB

Roders5 said:
What the **** is with the prime bashing? One of the best reviewed games ever and IMO the best game of last gen. Everything about it was brilliant.

Where have you been for the past years ? Prime bashing is a GAF favorite.

Lapsed

Banned
John Harker said:
Since when? I thought it didnt even reach 600k

Here is what I can find for public info for Metroid Prime 2 sales. It sold half a million for the 2004 holidays. I think it would surpass 600,000 over another year (and the eventual price drop) but I'll have to check on that.

One of the problems for Metroid Prime 2 had to have been Halo 2. I wonder if Nintendo would be dumb enough to release Metroid Prime 3 at the same time Halo 3 comes out?

Woo-Fu said:
Because in videogame Utopia, the developers make the games the hardcore gamers want to play, not the games the unwashed masses want to buy.

In my particular version, I'd be sitting at home looking at a stack of Ogre Battle games for my portable holodeck.

Couple that with nostalgia and voila.

Is videogame Utopia similiar to the Magical Console (i.e. what the Virtual Console 'should' be)? From what I hear, the Magical Console puts out twenty games a week, magically translates all Japanese games at no cost to every language on Earth, and then focuses entirely on the most obscure games imaginable instead of wasting 'precious release slots' on horrible games (i.e. not RPGs) like Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog, Bonk, space shooters, and all. Also, games on the Magical Console only cost 5 cents and, if you own the original cart, the Magical Console somehow knows this and gives you the game for free. I hear the Magical Console also puts out new original software but not the 'garbage' the masses like, only new 2d Metroid games, new Ogre Battles, and JRPGs.

Dragona Akehi said:
I 100% agree! Metroid Prime is what is killing the industry!

DEATH TO RETRO!

Perhaps you bleed oldschool but no company could have done as good a job as Retro did under so much pressure in bringing Metroid to the three dimensional realm.

This might be the most successfully implemented execution any developer has done with such a difficult and inevitably scrutinized task.

Kusagari

I used to love Reggie but I'm tired of this crap. He always makes these promises and says stuff in interviews and he's always wrong. It's obvious he's just a puppet and I'm tired of him acting like he's something more.

Branduil

Of course GAF hates Metroid Prime, it was a popular Nintendo game.

The only good Nintendo games didn't sell well, like Earthbound.

Branduil

Dragona Akehi said:
And Fire Emblem. Don't forget Fire Emblem.

Of course.

For the record, I love Fire Emblem. But I do think it's funny the poorest selling Nintendo franchises get so much love, while Metroid Prime gets so much irrational hate. I can only assume it's because of those who love the 2D Metroids and don't like the direction Prime went.

I guess it's strange the Zelda doesn't get as much hate, but then I think Zelda translates to 3D more easily.

JadedOne

Along with Mother, they should also bring over Rhythm Tengoku and the Bit Generations titles. Especially Rhythm Tengoku! Come on Nin!

Neomoto

He said the "Mother" series (known as "Earthbound" when "Mother 2" was released in the U.S.) is important to Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's president, who worked on the series years ago as a developer.
This, I didn't know. Awesome.

Top Bottom