• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller asks WH staff to preserve all documents relating to June 2016 meeting

Tovarisc

Special counsel Robert Mueller has asked the White House to preserve all documents relating to the June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower that Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort had with a Russian lawyer and others, according to a source who has seen the letter.

Mueller sent a notice, called a document preservation request, asking White House staff to save "any subjects discussed in the course of the June 2016 meeting" and also "any decisions made regarding the recent disclosures about the June 2016 meeting," according to the source, who read portions of the letter to CNN.

The letter from Mueller began: "As you are aware the Special Counsel's office is investigating the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, including any links or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of Donald Trump. Information concerning the June 2016 meeting between Donald J Trump Jr and Natalia Veselnitskaya is relevant to the investigation."

The preservation request is broad and includes text messages, emails, notes, voicemails and other communications and documentation regarding the June 2016 meeting and any related communication since then.

On Wednesday, the White House counsel's office sent a notice to White House staff informing them of the document preservation request. A second source confirmed to CNN the letter was sent to White House personnel.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/21/p...trump-tower-meeting/index.html?CNNPolitics=Tw

Wonder Boy, EasyD Jr. and Manafort getting deeper into doodoo.

shredder.jpg

Malreyn

I think if you're ordered to preserve documents then immediately destroy all the documents it's probably a bad look for you.

I bet you the GOP will STILL make excuses for Trump if he did that too...

"He's not a politician! He's new at this! He's an outsider! blah blah blah. "

KHarvey16

People still respond to these as if this band of idiots has a reputation for being good at doing bad things. Their incompetence extends to every aspect of their lives.

Sephzilla

I doubt it. I bet we're in until at least next year or the year after.

The best case, that if this takes long enough and the house flips and somehow Pence falls too... Well, the speaker becomes president.

At the rate everything is going I just think we're going to hit the hearing stage faster than people think. At earliest this fall, at latest this upcoming string.

won't this alert the WH staff to destroy documents instead?

That's exactly what Mueller is HOPING will happen.

He probably knows there's nothing in the documents, but the ACT of destroying any documents related to that meeting just makes Trump look that much more guilty. And it's more evidence for an obstruction of justice charge.

Trump should just comply with Mueller, assuming there are no incriminating documents.

If they are incriminating, then Trump is fucked either which way he goes.

I was under the impression that all Trump campaign documents were already under some document preservation order. I guess they may as well be specific.

bengraven

*cough cough* you got it.

*cough* sorry can't hear you over the crackling and popping. Oh don't worry it's just rice crispies. *cough*

Mike M

Nick N
I was under the impression that all Trump campaign documents were already under some document preservation order. I guess they may as well be specific.
The "any decisions made regarding the recent disclosures about the June 2016 meeting" reads to me like they're also going after anything and everything to do with the reveal of the meeting a couple weeks ago too.

rambis

Banned
Idk when this was sent out but it seems a bit late, no? As soon as this story broke they seemed to be scrubbing thru all the records and probably deleted anything incriminating ages ago.

tanooki27

Idk when this was sent out but it seems a bit late, no? As soon as this story broke they seemed to be scrubbing thru all the records and probably deleted anything incriminating ages ago.

then they will find out about the scrubbing, and it'll be even more flagrant. whatever else he did, Nxon knew not to destroy the tapes.

The "any decisions made regarding the recent disclosures about the June 2016 meeting" reads to me like they're also going after anything and everything to do with the reveal of the meeting a couple weeks ago too.

Ahh, shoot. Good point. Gotta work on my reading comprehension.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Mueller should ask them to hand over any video evidence they may be in possession of.

KHarvey16

Any document these days exists in multiple places, and requires multiple people to know about it being destroyed, removed, or deleted in order for it to be destroyed, removed, or deleted. Even if they do a 100% perfect job of erasing every trace of a document (which is all but impossible) they need to rely on actual human beings to keep it a secret.

It's not gonna happen.

50 bucks says trump just hits the delete button, fully unaware you have to reformat the pc.

Not just reformat but also overwrite all of it multiple times.

Hopefully, they already have what they need and this is just them extending an opportunity to the WH to commit more blatant obstruction of justice.

Any document these days exists in multiple places, and requires multiple people to know about it being destroyed, removed, or deleted in order for it to be destroyed, removed, or deleted. Even if they do a 100% perfect job of erasing every trace of a document (which is all but impossible) they need to rely on actual human beings to keep it a secret.

It's not gonna happen.
AND even if the documents were proven to be perfectly innocuous, you still go to jail for destroying evidence. Its the DJ Khaled statute.

Top Bottom