• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

ghibli99

We did. The issues that cropped up are issues that we *all* missed. PC development is hard, yo.

In any case, we're following the feedback from launch closely. Crashing errors, 56-59 FPS cap, and V1.5 sound errors are high priority fixes right now.
Great to see you guys so engaged with community feedback on this. Even with the bugs, I'm really happy with this release. I sold my 360 version earlier this year, and as much as I like the iOS version, being able to play it like this is a rare treat.

Before I go to bed, I got a third title screen crash; I had MPC-HC running with a paused video and even that was enough to make it crash again until I closed it.

More seriously: I ended the game with my arcade stick still plugged in earlier, but removed it while I played another game for a while. Coming back and trying to start it again with the arcade stick absent gave me a crash upon pressing Start to dismiss the title screen. Plugging in the stick again let me start the game normally, and the game works fine now after I removed the arcade stick while the game was still running. Definitely something weird with the startup routine the game performs there; I had initially experienced a crash there with OBS in preview mode.

Could anyone that also has a NVIDIA card inform me what option I need to mess with to remove those annoying black bars on the side of my screen when playing in 16:9 full screen mode. Driving me up the wall with it squishing the play area like it is and I know its possible to get rid of them based on the other screenshots in this thread.

Having a blast with the game so far though.

You're welcome.

Just make sure to play it. I've gifted people games through Steam before and half the time they never play them.

I'm definitely gonna play it, even though apparently its the worst of all time port cuz of those 1-4 missing frames.

Maybe not tomorrow with Black Ops 3 but trust

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, count me in. I bought it and am gonna play it after work today.

Also count me in for future CAVE releases on Steam, HINT.

Anne

Just stop. No one has tripped on anything other than those trying to cover it up over it being brought to light. I have nothing but praise for CAVE and Degica.

To be honest, the 3FPS is a big issue people should know about, but going "Scores don't count folks, everything is shit" is pretty silly on GAF. People shouldn't pass it off as it is a non-issue, but for the average player around here you're being p silly.

To dev person in the thread, cool to see it's on high priority, I don't really wanna mess with the game since the FPS thing is gonna bug the shit out of me so I'm gonna wait out playing this one until I get an ETA on a fix.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Man this is super fun and things ramp up in stage 3 quite a bit. :) Hoping more titles I didn't get for my 360 pop up first since I'd like to play titles I hadn't had the money to import.

For the record: Fraps sez that my frame-rate is 59.
It drops to 58 when saving.

Everyone make sure that you play v1.5 Original MAX. It is amazing.

So nice to play this version after playing my PS2 version for so many years. Brings back a lot of memories for sure. I sure as hell can't play it like I used to though :( This will be one of the games I will show my twin boys when they are old enough to play games :)

Oh, you just reminded me of the GOAT track from Espgaluda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2G5k6AkBHY (Ravine, Stage 2)

Nice, makes me look back at my Espgaluda poster in my room :)

HSRJbhV.jpg

But enought about that, this is a Mushihimesama thread! Although I WOULD like to see Espgaluda 1 get a Steam release, even though I do own that on PS2 as well.

Blu(e)

Damn missed the giveaway. Gonna have to try and scrounge up the money and pick this up when I can. Hope I can get it before the discount goes away.

dhlt25

sooo I got home from work, bought the game with 1.5 DLC all excited to play and.... it fucked my system when I had a video playing on the second monitor, literally no way to alt-tab out. Restarted and now it giving me black bar on full screen 16:9 mode :( what is this shit? why do you get the most basic stuff wrong Cave? I was so pumped too....

Momentary

Banned
To be honest, the 3FPS is a big issue people should know about, but going "Scores don't count folks, everything is shit" is pretty silly on GAF. People shouldn't pass it off as it is a non-issue, but for the average player around here you're being p silly.

To dev person in the thread, cool to see it's on high priority, I don't really wanna mess with the game since the FPS thing is gonna bug the shit out of me so I'm gonna wait out playing this one until I get an ETA on a fix.

I'm so used to games not validating scores because of FPS issues...I didn't say everything is shit.

Where the hell are people getting this from?

Any way:
16d9138c-0c05-4f4f-a18c-bcfed62e6d94_zpsubmqjizk.png~original

Let's go Shmup'GAF. I made it to stage 4 with 4 lives and panicked all the way to my doom.

Went ahead and jumped right in, and so far it's worked fine right out of the box. Although I have a few issues with it (as some have already pointed out):

-The whole 57-59 framerate issue. I turned on Steam's FPS counter, and I see it too (although I haven't run into any sync issues, and it's still smooth).
-The soundtrack for version 1.5 being low quality compared to everything else.
-Not going into fullscreen even though I tell it to (but it saves the other settings I had it set to with input and scoring). It does go into fullscreen when launching just fine, but it feels completely random.
-Not saving the high scores when I exit out of a game mode and go back into it.

I guess I'm really lucky that I haven't experienced a crash at all, and trying to Alt+Tab it didn't crash the game. As far as the game goes, I'm in love with it (then again I loved Mushihimesama Futari on the 360). Hopefully these issues get ironed out, but for the most part I'm okay with it.

dhlt25

lol wtf, I tried to take screenshot of the full screen issue and the screenshot actually looks correct with no black bar

edit:
this is what I'm seeing when attempting to go full screen, black bars on top and bottom, changing the monitor res doesn't do anything

Knurek

Why does this game have always online DRM?

I mean, to save option files/scores/etc you need to have Steam Cloud enabled.
What about people with no internet access? Will they have to set up fullscreen/rotation every single time the game is run? Seems to be the case for now.

First Treasure, now CAVE. What gives, do shmup devs really like to make PC gamers lives more complicated?

Munin

Can someone who bought this tell me if there is a way to play it in its original resolution with original assets? I find the HD graphics completely awful. I mean, I know the game was meant for CRTs to begin with, but...I find that even the upscaled Mame version looks better and less grating than this.

Momentary

Banned
Went ahead and jumped right in, and so far it's worked fine right out of the box. Although I have a few issues with it (as some have already pointed out):

-The whole 57-59 framerate issue. I turned on Steam's FPS counter, and I see it too (although I haven't run into any sync issues, and it's still smooth).
-The soundtrack for version 1.5 being low quality compared to everything else.
-Not going into fullscreen even though I tell it to (but it saves the other settings I had it set to with input and scoring). It does go into fullscreen when launching just fine, but it feels completely random.
-Not saving the high scores when I exit out of a game mode and go back into it.

I guess I'm really lucky that I haven't experienced a crash at all, and trying to Alt+Tab it didn't crash the game. As far as the game goes, I'm in love with it (then again I loved Mushihimesama Futari on the 360). Hopefully these issues get ironed out, but for the most part I'm okay with it.

I'm running into my local scores not saving at all as well. You're lucky with the crashes. After 5 crashes on my last play through I finally had to set desktop to 720p to finally get the game to go full screen without flipping out.

So port is not very good? Damn, BO3, DS2:DE, now this game, what a sad day for pc gamer =(

The company who helped bring it over is really good about working things out pretty quickly on these games.

Saw a few GAFers on the leaderboards tonight.

I made it to #4 on the Mushi 1.5 Original Leaderboards. I'm sure I'll be knocked out of the Top 10 by tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy my glory for now though. =)

shockdude

This game is really fun. It's the first time I've played a CAVE game on a non-mobile device, and it's much better than I expected.
Gotta get better though. I can reach Stage 3 without continues, and then I have to continue-spam my way through the rest of the game.
Gotta learn how the scoring works and see if there are any other mechanics that I'm missing.

Didn't notice the slow framerate issue, but I am experiencing the high scores & options not saving locally.

Edit: Confirmed 57FPS on my end.

Durante

We did. The issues that cropped up are issues that we *all* missed.
You need more different systems. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure Ghostlight has >50 beta participants for their ports.

lol wtf, I tried to take screenshot of the full screen issue and the screenshot actually looks correct with no black bar
That sounds like a setup issue then. Try to change your GPU settings for the given resolution to use AR scaling.

Aerocrane

The game crashed half way through stage 1 and now it crashes every time at the start screen :/
Edit: I launched the .exe from the installation directory and now it starts just fine. If I try to start playing one of the modes it crashes again.

this is what I'm seeing when attempting to go full screen, black bars on top and bottom, changing the monitor res doesn't do anything

I get the same thing. Will try out Durante's suggestion, but maybe the problem is that we both have second monitors?

Tain

So port is not very good? Damn, BO3, DS2:DE, now this game, what a sad day for pc gamer =(

It's... a decent first version of a first release, and even in its current state I'm pretty happy with my purchase. It's a pretty great day for this PC gamer.

Patches will come.

Welp, the game crashes on startup. "Press A button or [z]", and once I do, it crashes. Tried verifying the game-files - didn't help. Tried starting it from the installation directory - didn't help. Quess no Mushihimesama for me this morning. Hopefully they fix this soon. :(

shockdude

edit:

That looks like your GPU incorrectly handling 1280x720 by letterboxing it in a 1280x1024 space.
Try defining a custom 1280x720 resolution if you can.

Durante

Lé Blade Runner;184390439 said:
Welp, the game crashes on startup. "Press A button or [z]", and once I do, it crashes. Tried verifying the game-files - didn't help. Tried starting it from the installation directory - didn't help. Quess no Mushihimesama for me this morning. Hopefully they fix this soon. :(
Same issue here.

Send me the unencrypted executable with debug symbols and I'll tell you why and how to fix it within 30 minutes.

(In good news, the game is DX9 and you can use GeDoSaTo for upsampling)

Saikyo

In the cave logo press alt+enter and close it (alt+f4) before the title screen appears, then open it again, it should let you play the game.

shockdude

Same issue here.

Send me the unencrypted executable with debug symbols and I'll tell you why and how to fix it within 30 minutes.

(In good news, the game is DX9 and you can use GeDoSaTo for upsampling)
Could you post a screenshot of the game when upsampled?

Durante

Could you post a screenshot of the game when upsampled?
Well, it looks like the game, upsampled. Just open an screenshot in photoshop and do a bicubic upsampling.

It's a 2D game, so that's all you can expect really. It's just neat to use if e.g. your monitor does bad upsampling or induces lag when upsampling.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The wierd thing is, I had the game running earlier today.. But now I get this error repeatedly and can't play :p

dhlt25

You need more different systems. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure Ghostlight has >50 beta participants for their ports.

That sounds like a setup issue then. Try to change your GPU settings for the given resolution to use AR scaling.

I get the same thing. Will try out Durante's suggestion, but maybe the problem is that we both have second monitors?

I set up the scaling to GPU instead of display in NVIDIA control panel and it works! I have full screen now. Thanks Durante!

shockdude

Well, it looks like the game, upsampled. Just open an screenshot in photoshop and do a bicubic upsampling.

It's a 2D game, so that's all you can expect really. It's just neat to use if e.g. your monitor does bad upsampling or induces lag when upsampling.
Ah ok. Haven't used GeDoSaTo, but Intel GPU upscaling is pretty decent so I guess I'm good.
Would be nice if the game could natively scale to resolutions higher than 720p, instead of being scaled twice (ingame zoom + monitor/GPU upscaling). Might check if GeDoSaTo can make that possible later.

Edit: Confirmed that GeDoSaTo allows Mushihimesama's game window to render at native resolution, for super-sharp upscaled pixels.
Amusingly, this causes the main menus to tank to 26FPS, but increases the in-game FPS to 67FPS. Add GeDoSaTo's framerate limiter and you have perfect 60FPS Mushihimesama with perfect upscaling.

Should I keep GPU scaling on at all times or just when I want to play Mushi? How would it effect other games?
GPU scaling only affects games that don't run at native res. Your results may vary. For me, Intel's iGPU is better at scaling 640x480 than my monitor.

-Gozer-

edit:

That looks like your GPU incorrectly handling 1280x720 by letterboxing it in a 1280x1024 space.
Try defining a custom 1280x720 resolution if you can.

I'm also having a similar issue. Forgive me, but I'm not quite sure I understand what you two are suggesting.

My GPU 780
Monitor is a px2370

When I run the game in full screen my monitor says it's displaying 1280x800.
Are you saying I should create a custom 1280x720 resolution in the nvidia cp?

EDIT:

Just saw the new posts. I'll try changing to gpu scaling.

EDIT 2:

Yeah that got it. Thanks.

Should I keep GPU scaling on at all times or just when I want to play Mushi? How would it effect other games?

Durante

Generally, GPU scaling is always preferable.

Fun fact:
I was trying to debug the game, so I attached the VS2015 debugger to the process before presssing a button on the start screen.
Then it worked.

Top Bottom