• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music Makers |OT| Where words fail, music speaks.

rObit

Banned
the sound quality is really good on the guitars, what type of mic are you using? i cant really say much on the melodic progression until you develop it more, just seems reptitive, a good start though.

and thank you for the praise, im still not sure what direction i should go in as i love alot of genres, and its hard to use samples and stretch it out to a 3 minute songs without it sounding repetitive.

personally i have a maschine and it comes with some of the software from komplete and i have to say its pretty amazing, their drumsynth is really good, though you can probably search for free alternatives. i'd rather use sylenth1 for 8bit sounds lol

Thanks! I just use an SM57 for my guitar tones. I'd like to get an AxeFX someday just to make my life a little easier, but it's not worth it for me right now when I can still get pretty good tone out of my little $200 Peavey Vypyr amp.

So this is totally random and I practically forgot about doing this, but here is a video of a puppet show that I was a part of very briefly after college, but it never went anywhere. We did get a few good skits out of it, though. It was called "Felt Up", and a few friends from college created it and asked me to do the music for it.

This is a skit making fun of the Suicide Girls, called, obviously, Suicide Puppets: https://youtube.com/watch?v=2Y9ddbbUvhk

For this one, they gave me the general ideal of sexy lounge music, and I went from there. The rock music that comes in towards the end isn't mine; I think that was licensed from somebody.

This one is called The Really Relieved Action Heroes, and it's about superheroes who recount their adventures, documentary style:https://youtube.com/watch?v=bZaw3oAmvCw

This one, the creator and writer of this skit sang the melody of this song, with no music, just a capella. I had to listen to it, and extrapolate harmonies and form the rest of the song. My good friend laid down the guitar track you hear; the rest was me.

When I get home from this trip, I can go home and look on my computer for some other tracks that I made that ended up not being used. They were fun. One was gonna be for a Final Fantasy spoof, so I made a close-but-not-enough-to-get-sued imitation of the FFVII battle theme. Then there was the ideal for the theme song, a very up-tempo jazz blues that I came up with. All real fun.

I'm looking for a pad controller to use with Cubase. The AKAI MPD32 caught my eye, anyone got some other recommendations?

depends on what you're going to be doing with it, the maschine that i have pretty is pretty amazing for a pad, and i havent dug fully deep into the software.

not sure how the software that comes with mpd is like, if you're just looking for something to tap with and are doing everything else within cubase and other vsts then it shouldnt matter that much

Foshy

depends on what you're going to be doing with it, the maschine that i have pretty is pretty amazing for a pad, and i havent dug fully deep into the software.

not sure how the software that comes with mpd is like, if you're just looking for something to tap with and are doing everything else within cubase and other vsts then it shouldnt matter that much

I'm currently using the Maschine Mikro and loving every minute of it. The pads feel great.

The Maschine Mikro definitely looks amazing and was actually the one that convinced me I need a pad controller. I'm just thinking it might be overkill as I recently bought Komplete 10 and I'm very very happy with the sound libraries at my disposal. I'm more interested in working with the VSTs I already have rather than using new software that comes with the hardware.

Then again, it would be only $60 more than the AKAI at the store I'd be getting it from. Might as well pay the premium so I won't regret it later on. The consensus on other forums seems to be Maschine > MPD too.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Great mixtape! I really enjoyed it, each beat is very unique. Jodey Waters is my favorite, amazing track

Thank you! I appreciate that you took the time to listen to it, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

yeah i would go with jodey waters also, the production is really well done.

might i ask what vst you used for your bassline in jodey waters? ive been having problems looking for one to fill in my low end in tracks.

Ray Wonder

yeah i would go with jodey waters also, the production is really well done.

might i ask what vst you used for your bassline in jodey waters? ive been having problems looking for one to fill in my low end in tracks.

I used Massive for the bass, but it's a preset that I made myself.

If you have massive, I can send you the preset though.

I used Massive for the bass, but it's a preset that I made myself.

If you have massive, I can send you the preset though.

yep, if you could that would be awesome!

ive been practicing sylenth1 with mixed results, they usually stand out too much in the mix, even with a low pass filter.

Ray Wonder

I've been looking for a thread like this. I bought the KORG M-01D for my 3DS somewhat recently and I've been creating stuff. So far I'm not that great at it.

This is the best /worst thing I've made so far. It's some kind of abomination based on Dave Brubeck's Take Five.

From the way you described it, I thought it wasn't going to be good. It was awesome though. It has a cool feel to it. Like I can see sprites dancing around drinking beer.

Reminds me of a theme of a town in a snes rpg game.

You nailed it, that's what I hear too.

Foshy

so here's my new bae.

QcGJBMQ.jpg

messed around with it a bit today, feels great.

Just finished this.

Beat mixtape.

Had it playing in background while doing some other stuff, really liked what I heard! I'll give it another listen, is it available for download somewhere?

I've been looking for a thread like this. I bought the KORG M-01D for my 3DS somewhat recently and I've been creating stuff. So far I'm not that great at it.

This is the best /worst thing I've made so far. It's some kind of abomination based on Dave Brubeck's Take Five.
That's really cool! And the M-01D samples sound better than I expected, hah. It's available on the eShop, right?

Ray Wonder

Had it playing in background while doing some other stuff, really liked what I heard! I'll give it another listen, is it available for download somewhere?

You can download it from Bandcamp, just hit buy it now, and put in 0 for the price. Thanks for checking it out!

i like electronic, 80s rolling bass music though I'm not that good. I made a DnB remix of stickerbrush symphony which is probably my most popular track.

Cool to see there's music dudes and dudettes here.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Honestly, I didn't think it was too bad either, but considering what the original sounded like, I was worried the ghost of Dave Brubeck was gonna haunt my dreams or something.

s

That's really cool! And the M-01D samples sound better than I expected, hah. It's available on the eShop, right?

M-01D is really neat. A lot of the samples are really good. It's not so great for someone like me who listens to music with lots of wind instruments, since those samples aren't the greatest, although I suppose I've never heard any horn samples that sound authentic. It's on the eShop. It was on sale when I bought it; I don't know if it still is.

I've just arranged a traditional tune you all know as a bossa. I'm mostly happy with it. This was my first attempt at solos and I'm not too happy with how they turned out. Mainly because real jazz solos don't sound so mechanical, but eh, what can you do.

Just finished a new track recently https://soundcloud.com/lethal-input/mesmerized

I think it turned out overall well. The intro is probably the weakest part of the song. I feel like it should have started off a bit more vibrantly, but I do like the buildup still.

This is cool! What are you using to make this?

Just finished a new track recently https://soundcloud.com/lethal-input/mesmerized

I think it turned out overall well. The intro is probably the weakest part of the song. I feel like it should have started off a bit more vibrantly, but I do like the buildup still.

the intro would work pretty well in a dj mix, also the drum breaks in the song were pleasant to listen to. i can see the potential from going through your tracks especially with with NMS.

anyone working on songs for gaf tape 2? i think i got my basic outline done, i'll probably post a 30s clip once i get some of the mixing down.

Vally

anyone working on songs for gaf tape 2? i think i got my basic outline done, i'll probably post a 30s clip once i get some of the mixing down.

I'm working on two collabs, this one is practically finished (though we might still improve on the mixing and such): https://soundcloud.com/risis-1/peacetime-collab/s-VqorL

and this clip is from the other one, it's still really rough and needs more work but I'll share anyway https://soundcloud.com/risis-1/yesp...risis-1/sets/yesplznothx-collab-stems/s-h3n1O

I'm working on two collabs, this one is practically finished (though we might still improve on the mixing and such): https://soundcloud.com/risis-1/peacetime-collab/s-VqorL

and this clip is from the other one, it's still really rough and needs more work but I'll share anyway https://soundcloud.com/risis-1/yesp...risis-1/sets/yesplznothx-collab-stems/s-h3n1O

thoughts on drum skin: i feel like the sub bass after the kick drags the song down, not sure how i feel about it. i like the vocal sampling and the synths though.

nothnx collab : i like the slow cutoff filter raise intro. this seems like more of background track to a videogame than id put my full attention to,.i get that it's early though and it has alot of potential to be a great song

Vally

thoughts on drum skin: i feel like the sub bass after the kick drags the song down, not sure how i feel about it. i like the vocal sampling and the synths though.

nothnx collab : i like the slow cutoff filter raise intro. this seems like more of background track to a videogame than id put my full attention to,.i get that it's early though and it has alot of potential to be a great song

Yeah, the sub bass on drum skin makes it have a heavy feeling to it, I can see how you might not like it. As for the other collab I agree, it still can change but right now it sounds very videogamey

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it =)

Accoun

What's the best way to make music on an iPhone.

Caustic/NanoStudio/SunVox? I think they were supppsed to be OK (although I'm not sure if they are any good on a phone compared to tablet). I think all of them have free desktop versions with only the mobile ones being paid.

the intro would work pretty well in a dj mix, also the drum breaks in the song were pleasant to listen to. i can see the potential from going through your tracks especially with with NMS..

I've just arranged a traditional tune you all know as a bossa. I'm mostly happy with it. This was my first attempt at solos and I'm not too happy with how they turned out. Mainly because real jazz solos don't sound so mechanical, but eh, what can you do.

This is cool! What are you using to make this?

Thanks. Lets see, I used FL keys for the piano (on FL Studio), Sylenth for the basses and arps, a Nexus preset for one of the "higher" frequency synths that blends in with the piano, and Harmless (only on FL) for the leads. Just off the top of my head.

Foshy

Reminds me of something that could play on the Nintendo eShop, haha. Nice!

I love this.

Hello everyone :)! I'm so glad a thread like this exists. I love listening to new music.

I just recently released an EP a couple months ago, actually.. It's on Spotify and iTunes, and some of the tracks are on Soundcloud!

Please take a listen to it, if you're interested! It might not be everyone's cup of tea, taste-wise, but please feel free to share your thoughts with me <3! I'm definitely excited to check out some of this music in here when I get home :D!

I'm subbing to this thread, if that's okay!

Ray Wonder

Hello everyone :)! I'm so glad a thread like this exists. I love listening to new music.

I just recently released an EP a couple months ago, actually.. It's on Spotify and iTunes, and some of the tracks are on Soundcloud!

Please take a listen to it, if you're interested! It might not be everyone's cup of tea, taste-wise, but please feel free to share your thoughts with me <3! I'm definitely excited to check out some of this music in here when I get home :D!

You can sing for sure! Not my cup of tea, but it's still really good regardless. I can't get past that you sound a lot like Somo.

You can sing for sure! Not my cup of tea, but it's still really good regardless. I can't get past that you sound a lot like Somo.

Wow thank you so much!! :') I really appreciate that.

I had to look up who Somo was! That's definitely a big compliment. I love the tone of his voice! So thank you :)!

Also thank you for opening my ears to something new!

rObit

Banned

Damn dude, you have an excellent voice. I'm loving those vocal harmonies on I Want It All

Hey guys. I have been spending so much time on music production that I've actually neglected the forum here quite a bit. I would love to hear what you guys think. I have 3 tracks at https://soundcloud.com/jacksonsnapp

I dig it. I think your original mix is the strongest of the 3, honestly. Good stuff man, keep it up!

Damn dude, you have an excellent voice. I'm loving those vocal harmonies on I Want It All

Wow, thank you so much! :') I really appreciate the kind words!!

And thank you for noticing the harmonies as well! I worked pretty hard on those hahaha! :)

cjsnapp

Neo Member
I dig it. I think your original mix is the strongest of the 3, honestly. Good stuff man, keep it up!

Thanks. That was the one that I spent the most time on. The others were for remix competitions so I was sort of trying to get them out there quickly.

Hey guys. I have been spending so much time on music production that I've actually neglected the forum here quite a bit. I would love to hear what you guys think. I have 3 tracks at https://soundcloud.com/jacksonsnapp

get ready to fly is pretty good and its easy to tell from the structure of the sound and the sound of the synths that alot of effort was put into it. well done.

your voice is really good, the sound you produce is super radio friendly, same with lyrics.
did you do the mixing/production?

i just finished a preview for a song im submitting for Gaf Tape 2, im not sure if i should continue with this direction, or take out the pianos and use more vocal sampling instead.

https://soundcloud.com/audiophones-1/solanin-mk-1

the problem with that though is that it limits my sound as i can explore much more with piano than with pre determined vocal samples from the track.also the mixing is way off lol.

your voice is really good, the sound you produce is super radio friendly, same with lyrics.
did you do the mixing/production?

Aww thank you so much :) I really appreciate that! We definitely set a goal for "radio friendly", so i'm glad that came across! :)

I definitely had a producer help with mixing/production since this is my first EP!

My EP is out!

VrKaylS.jpg

You can download it on Bandcamp, or stream it on Youtube or Soundcloud.

Feels good to finally get it out there.

Nice!! Congratulations!! I totally know the feeling. When i saw mine up for preorder I breathed this huge sigh of relief
and cried a little
LOL!

I can't wait to listen to it when I get home!! <3

Top Bottom