• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music Makers |OT| Where words fail, music speaks.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
My EP is out!

VrKaylS.jpg

You can download it on Bandcamp, or stream it on Youtube or Soundcloud.

Feels good to finally get it out there.

Nice work!

Side note, are you guys doing your artwork/graphic design yourselves? Seeing some good stuff in here.

Nice work!

Side note, are you guys doing your artwork/graphic design yourselves? Seeing some good stuff in here.
I do really really like the look of rObit's EP cover! Amazing font to use as well. :)

My EP cover looks like this o__o:

I didn't do it myself though.. I have little experience in photography/design :( the photo was taken by a good friend of mine, and his friend did the graphic designs!

rObit

Banned
Nice work!

I do really really like the look of rObit's EP cover! Amazing font to use as well. :)

Thanks for the compliments guys. The cover was done by a good friend of mine who does illustrations for card games and book covers and stuff. He's really awesome. Here's his site: http://deepbasing.com/

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Oooh new thread! Can't wait to check out what everyone's been up to lately.

I've been keeping busy with a few games that I can't yet talk about but it's some exciting stuff that could lead to big things. Fingers crossed. I've been stuck in Saudi for too long.

My latest track has been out for a few months now. It's like an epic video game that unravels throughout the song. Structuring it was pretty tricky but I think I found a nice balance. Would love the feedback.

Subspace Cavaliers by Agent Whiskers

AW12-s.jpg

Sun Drugs

I've listened to everything posted in this thread, and man you guys are good. I like literally everything that has been posted in here. It is inspirational, maybe one day I'll feel confident enough to put up my own recordings.

Vally

i just finished a preview for a song im submitting for Gaf Tape 2, im not sure if i should continue with this direction, or take out the pianos and use more vocal sampling instead.

https://soundcloud.com/audiophones-1/solanin-mk-1

the problem with that though is that it limits my sound as i can explore much more with piano than with pre determined vocal samples from the track.also the mixing is way off lol.

I like it, very pleasant song. The vocal samples at the beginning are really nice and I'd definitely like to hear more of that, but I also like the piano, you shouldn't take it out in my opinion. Can't wait to listen to the full track!

rObit

Banned
I've listened to everything posted in this thread, and man you guys are good. I like literally everything that has been posted in here. It is inspirational, maybe one day I'll feel confident enough to put up my own recordings.

Just do it! No one here is going to belittle you or anything. The worst thing that could happen is you'll get some constructive feedback that'll help you improve more quickly. It took some courage for me to post my metal stuff because I know most people here don't listen to that style of music much, and everyone has been super kind to me. We just want more people to contribute and share their stuff! :) Ray's OP says it all, really.

I've been keeping busy with a few games that I can't yet talk about but it's some exciting stuff that could lead to big things. Fingers crossed. I've been stuck in Saudi for too long.

My latest track has been out for a few months now. It's like an epic video game that unravels throughout the song. Structuring it was pretty tricky but I think I found a nice balance. Would love the feedback.

AW12-s.jpg

Agent Whiskers has graced us with his presence! I was wondering if you'd show up. :) I still listen to A Method of Symmetry from time to time. Souls Adrift puts me in a cool place. It's great stuff. Will listen to the newest track when I get a chance.

BoerBert

I'd like to share my music here also. We're called Airtime, consisting of my brother and myself. For just over a year, we're making electronic music. Although we do not have one certain style or genre we fit in because we're still looking for our own sound, I think I can say we are mainly influenced by artists like Four Tet and Jamie xx.

Our latest track is called 'Demand'.

I would love to hear your stuff sometime :). Nobody is here to judge you or give you a hard time! At least, that's what I think! <3 I do understand the feeling of lacking confidence to share your music, though. It's an extra vulnerable spot!

Sun Drugs

Just do it! No one here is going to belittle you or anything. The worst thing that could happen is you'll get some constructive feedback that'll help you improve more quickly. It took some courage for me to post my metal stuff because I know most people here don't listen to that style of music much, and everyone has been super kind to me. We just want more people to contribute and share their stuff! :) Ray's OP says it all, really.

I would love to hear your stuff sometime :). Nobody is here to judge you or give you a hard time! At least, that's what I think! <3 I do understand the feeling of lacking confidence to share your music, though. It's an extra vulnerable spot!

Well, you guys have convinced me. Here is an instrumental song I recorded today.

https://soundcloud.com/material541/thrown-to-the-fog-instrumental

I used an Ibanez AF75, Ibanez DE-7 Delay, and a JamMan SoloXT looper. If I had to list the influences on my music I'd say its primarily Elliott Smith, Explosions in the Sky, and Neil Young.

I've been seriously playing guitar since about December, after having it collect dust for years.

I also recorded an acoustic version with vocals (also up on my soundcloud) but I am really not satisfied with my vocals at all, and don't really know how to improve.

EDIT: Also I recorded this track last Sunday. It came together in a few hours, and I couldn't really figure out what else to do with it so it is not very developed.

https://soundcloud.com/material541/under-dopamine-clouds

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Agent Whiskers has graced us with his presence! I was wondering if you'd show up. :) I still listen to A Method of Symmetry from time to time. Souls Adrift puts me in a cool place. It's great stuff. Will listen to the newest track when I get a chance.

My man! :D I'm currently putting together my 5th album but I'm taking my sweet ass time with it due to some lovely distractions and other major things I'm trying to accomplish in 2015. Trying to marry someone you love in Saudi is THE. MOST. SOULSUCKING. THING. EVER. But I'm gonna keep at it until it frees me up to pursue this passion of mine even further. Thanks again for the kind words! It's posts like yours that keep me going. :)

rObit

Banned
I'd like to share my music here also. We're called Airtime, consisting of my brother and myself. For just over a year, we're making electronic music. Although we do not have one certain style or genre we fit in because we're still looking for our own sound, I think I can say we are mainly influenced by artists like Four Tet and Jamie xx.

Very nice! Not really my style but the production is ace.

Well, you guys have convinced me. Here is an instrumental song I recorded today.

I used an Ibanez AF75, Ibanez DE-7 Delay, and a JamMan SoloXT looper. If I had to list the influences on my music I'd say its primarily Elliott Smith, Explosions in the Sky, and Neil Young.

I've been seriously playing guitar since about December, after having it collect dust for years.

I also recorded an acoustic version with vocals (also up on my soundcloud) but I am really not satisfied with my vocals at all, and don't really know how to improve.

EDIT: Also I recorded this track last Sunday. It came together in a few hours, and I couldn't really figure out what else to do with it so it is not very developed.

Super cool! Really relaxing stuff. The birds chirping and the chimes certainly steer the mood :)

https://soundcloud.com/emptyelles/out-of-place

Here's a demo I'd like to get some feedback on. It's been almost a year since I've tried making music so I'm happy to get back into it.

I'd buy this album. Really cool stuff. Not sure if you're looking for feedback on mixing since it's a demo, but the only thing that stuck out to me was the shaker is a bit on the loud side. I really dig the vibe though.

I listened to this last night before bed.

I loved it! I totally agree that it's super relaxing, which I'm totally into. I'm glad we convinced you to share music with us ;3.

A friend of mine the other day gave me the interesting idea of getting one of my songs remixed by somebody. It's something I'd totally be into, but I have no idea where to even start! What would I need to provide to somebody if I were to ask them to remix one of my songs? o_o

I sound like a total amateur, I know.. I'm sorry ;_;

I think I've listened to everyone in this thread. I had quoted everyone to provide feedback but as I went to post I realized I had basically quoted the entire thread and it seemed kinda silly to repost everything. So I ended up just cherry picking some stuff I could instantly remember. If you haven't gotten feedback yet though I'd gladly listen to your stuff again to provide some feedback. Just send me a pm or something ;)

Just finished this.
Beat mixtape.
I've listened to a bunch of your stuff and I like quite a lot of it, standouts for me are Gods Grace, I love the violin intro on that and the filtered sections a lot. I won't lie I busted out some freestyles to it and if I was the beat buying sort (a.k.a not broke) I could see myself dropping verses on it. People in the thread also seem to favour Jodey waters which I quite liked but I thought Myra Hope was the second standout for me. Overall I thought your stuff sounded very accomplished and well done.

I saw Xrenity post this in the producer thread, so I'm guessing he's your brother? Anyways, I really like this especially on a mixing/mastering front, but I'm kind of missing a hook that's going to draw me back to it. It sounds really good but I wish it was slightly catchier somehow. Oh and I really liked the ethereal filtered vocal breakdown. Mind if I ask you for some tips on listens? Because I'd kill to get 1000's of listens on my soundcloud, it's probably the quality of your tracks first and foremost but I'm also hilariously inept at self marketing which might also be because I generally don't think my stuff is all that great.

i just finished a preview for a song im submitting for Gaf Tape 2, im not sure if i should continue with this direction, or take out the pianos and use more vocal sampling instead.

https://soundcloud.com/audiophones-1/solanin-mk-1
Yo dude for the love of god finish some of your stuff. Not because I hate unfinished things but because some of your stuff is legit great. I've seen you post these previews in other places and I'm dissapointed everytime they end after 40 seconds because I want more. I really like this track too the only nitpick I have is that the drums sound slightly out of time to my ears. There's swing, and then there's being too early/late. The kick in particular sounds just a hair too sloppy for me. I think the jazz bar style piano is excellent though and I don't think you should drop it.

The band where I have been playing guitar/voice since 2013 finally released its first EP. We have four songs of rock in spanish mainly influenced by 80's, 90's bands.
I also did the cover art.
I don't speak the language this is in so I can't comment on the lyrical content and it's slightly outside of my usual listening but I thought it sounded good. I especially like the Riff in Diván, I think your band sounds really tight.

I love doing mashups of similar sounding songs.

Here's "David Bowie X The Black Keys - New Killer Fever"

https://soundcloud.com/shagg187/david-bowie-x-the-black-keys-new-killer-fever
As a huge black keys fan and a moderate David Bowie fan I applaud the effort a lot, and I like it a lot, but I was kind of distracted by the verses overlapping. I thought the chorus overlap worked really well though. With slightly more work I think this could be an excellent mashup.

Here's the track I sent in for GAF Tape 2.

https://soundcloud.com/maumaumusic/lakes
Rushed it a bit to get it ready in time, so mixing could probably be better. Still, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Sounds dreamy dude, I like it a lot. I especially like the backhalf where it gets this trappish sort of feel and I enjoyed the non sub bass 808 riffs in the middle a lot too.

----

Now to engage in some shameless self promotion, here's a bootleg/remix I made of Selah Sue Won't go for more, I actually finished this a while ago but held back from uploading because I wasn't sure it was actually good. I appreciate listens/likes/follows and especially comments a lot and I've got a spot in my heart reserved for anyone that does any of the previously mentioned things.
YesPlzNoThx - Won't go for more(Selah Sue Bootleg)

-Eddman-

I don't speak the language this is in so I can't comment on the lyrical content and it's slightly outside of my usual listening but I thought it sounded good. I especially like the Riff in Diván, I think your band sounds really tight.

Thanks man, I really appreciate the feedback. I was listening to your remix. I really like the overall sound, it has punch but doesn't get noisy. I also liked the equalization for the vocals.

BoerBert

I saw Xrenity post this in the producer thread, so I'm guessing he's your brother? Anyways, I really like this especially on a mixing/mastering front, but I'm kind of missing a hook that's going to draw me back to it. It sounds really good but I wish it was slightly catchier somehow. Oh and I really liked the ethereal filtered vocal breakdown. Mind if I ask you for some tips on listens? Because I'd kill to get 1000's of listens on my soundcloud, it's probably the quality of your tracks first and foremost but I'm also hilariously inept at self marketing which might also be because I generally don't think my stuff is all that great.

Thank you. Yes, he is my brother. We had some problems with the mixing and mastering and weren't completely happy with how it ended up, so I'm glad it sounds alright to you :).

On the number of listens part, somebody working at a rather popular website in our country is from the same area and he kinda likes to support local acts. It doesn't necessarily help the number of followers, but if the number of listens increases the interest of some labels or whatever for only a little bit, I guess it worked ;).

Liked your remix, btw. My personal problem always is that I tend to overcomplicate stuff and the remix sounds very clean. I want to work towards that more.

Vally

Guys, the deadline for The GAF Tape 2 is over but we are still accepting more submissions. Collaborations are encouraged but not required, and if you don't have time to make a new track you can just submit something you have already made.

At this time we only have 7 tracks so we would really appreciate more people joining in.

Foshy

Guys, the deadline for The GAF Tape 2 is over but we are still accepting more submissions. Collaborations are encouraged but not required, and if you don't have time to make a new track you can just submit something you have already made.

At this time we only have 7 tracks so we would really appreciate more people joining in.

yeah i'll echo this, join in everyone!

Sounds dreamy dude, I like it a lot. I especially like the backhalf where it gets this trappish sort of feel and I enjoyed the non sub bass 808 riffs in the middle a lot too.

Now to engage in some shameless self promotion, here's a bootleg/remix I made of Selah Sue Won't go for more, I actually finished this a while ago but held back from uploading because I wasn't sure it was actually good. I appreciate listens/likes/follows and especially comments a lot and I've got a spot in my heart reserved for anyone that does any of the previously mentioned things.
YesPlzNoThx - Won't go for more(Selah Sue Bootleg)
Thanks! Glad you like it! :D

And your remix is a real banger. Been listening to it on and off for the last couple of days and it's so good. Really catchy and uplifting, I love it.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Man, I need to take some time out to catch up with all these posts in here. Haven't really been listening for a while now. I'll probably just do a FloatingDivider style post sometime soon.

I've listened to a bunch of your stuff and I like quite a lot of it, standouts for me are Gods Grace, I love the violin intro on that and the filtered sections a lot. I won't lie I busted out some freestyles to it and if I was the beat buying sort (a.k.a not broke) I could see myself dropping verses on it. People in the thread also seem to favour Jodey waters which I quite liked but I thought Myra Hope was the second standout for me. Overall I thought your stuff sounded very accomplished and well done.

Thank you sir. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

cjsnapp

Neo Member

AW12-s.jpg

I was checking out a few of your tracks and I'm really digging it. Excellent work!

Any advice/guide/resources for recording and producing music that is mostly acoustic?

Yes, my first piece of advice is to actually just do it. You can read guides into infinity and beyond and get nowhere without actually rolling up your sleeves and getting into it.

As for the guide/resources, how in depth do you need it to get? Are you still at the stage where you need to buy an audio interface & microphones etc, are you looking for help EQing mixes etc, your question is kind of non specific. I have a bunch of guides bookmarked I could link you too, and I've been thinking of writing some up to have content for my newly launched website (it's a wp blog with one post currently). But I'd rather not spam the thread with a bunch of random scattershot links. If you let me know what stage you're currently at I'll totally link you up some guides.

BlueMagic

As for the guide/resources, how in depth do you need it to get? Are you still at the stage where you need to buy an audio interface & microphones etc, are you looking for help EQing mixes etc, your question is kind of non specific. I have a bunch of guides bookmarked I could link you too, and I've been thinking of writing some up to have content for my newly launched website (it's a wp blog with one post currently). But I'd rather not spam the thread with a bunch of random scattershot links. If you let me know what stage you're currently at I'll totally link you up some guides.

Well, I was hoping to learn more about hardware and its relation with the kind of music I want to make. I don't have a microphone yet (I do have an interface) so I was looking to get something that could cover good ground in terms of decently recording different kinds of sounds (vocals, classical guitars, electric guitars, etc.). Things like mixing and equalizing won't be much trouble, I'm guessing, since I do have some experience with that (and I have the theoretical basics down). So mostly info for getting the signal into the software as cleanly as possible.

SUPER MEGA LENGTHY FEEDBACK POST
I'm not the greatest "producer" or composer and I'm very picky about what I enjoy but I hope my feedback helps you. My criticism isn't made to be a personal attack on you or your songs, but how I truly feel about the track.

My EP is out!

VrKaylS.jpg

You can download it on Bandcamp, or stream it on Youtube or Soundcloud.

Feels good to finally get it out there.

I haven't listened to all tracks in full length (skimmed over some songs) but the mix sounds well done and clear; no distortion, clipping, etc. It would be cool if you guys did an "alternative chillax" mix to some of the tracks as I preferred them to the heavy metal stuff. Just a suggestion.

I guess I'll post some of my music first.

This is a song I did for a youtuber named Jesse Cox. He calls his fans Space Butterflies. I made a theme song dedicated to that. Everything in it is me, except the drop where Jesse cox says "Now to destroy all". This is also my most popular song ever. lol.
OMFGCata - Space Butterfly Theme Song

Did you use VEC samples and Nexus on this? It's 2 years old so I don't know how relevant my feedback will be, heh.

Your hip hop instrumentals have a really nice atmosphere to them and sound cleanly mixed. Good use of samples to create that kinda "eerie" or "ethereal" feeling and a cool mix of electronicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Good drum work as well. Enjoyed the feel of Laura Gold.

I'll post my soundcloud even though I'm just an amateur: https://soundcloud.com/risis-1

Mostly electronic music, all of them made in Reason 5. Any feedback or criticism is always appreciated.

PeaceTime & Risis - Drum Skin ft. Chaucie

The atmosphere is interesting here. Kinda deep house, chill, swagger. Interesting use of drums and instruments too. Would've been nice to have an actual "breakdown" where the song just kinda breathes a bit, introduces a new melody or some sort, then builds up again.

The mix itself sounds kinda muddy and "weak" in terms of the percussion. The kick doesn't really stand out and some reverb/delay to the snare (or an entirely new sound) would make it fit in much better. If I knew how to properly mix, I would give you pointers.

I'm in a band called Sons of Origin. We're a Pop/Rock group, though we can play anything, really. I play percussion, sing background vocals and currently am playing keyboards. Here's our first music video for a song off our first album, called "Nothing Left To Lose": http://youtu.be/OhMf1BBKe8s

I also have a Jazz group, called The Mode Collective. We don't meet that often, but when we do, I sing and am the band leader. Here's two videos:
Lush Life - http://youtu.be/seR4KsAeq-4
Sweet Georgia Brown - http://youtu.be/QcY9Y3LfL3I

Here is a ReverbNation link, with some full-length tracks that I recorded, like All Blues, Tenderly and Work Song: http://www.reverbnation.com/themodecollective

Sweet Jesus you're in a lot of stuff. The lead singer of Sons of Origin sounds similar to a famous band or maybe a mix of two, can't put my finger on it. Didn't really feel the lyrics or vocal melody much, but the composition was well done.

Your blues stuff is much more enjoyable and your voice is nice as well. The Very Thought of You really captures that 40s/50s feel incredibly well (sorry I'm not really familiar with Swing/jazz timelines). Love the composition and chord progressions and would like to be able to write like this some day (and also sing!)

Subscribed!

I make electronic music in Cubase, most of my stuff is on my SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/maumaumusic quality is mixed. i'm trying to improve.

My last big project was part of the soundtrack for psyscrolr for Wii U (by GAFfer Ashodin). Some tracks like the main theme I'm pretty proud of. https://soundcloud.com/maumaumusic/sets/psyscrolr-ost-1

Your psyscrolr tracks capture the feel of VGM quite well and I feel gets the point across. However, I would suggest that you try and use some reverb and panning to create "space" in your sounds so that everything doesn't sound so dry. It's like creating the image of something large or farther away but with audio. Then again, it might just be your VST/samples that limit you.

Here's some of the stuff I was working on for the past week. Loving my Maschine Mikro :)

Some experimental stuff
https://soundcloud.com/rp912/load-it-up

https://soundcloud.com/rp912/night-on-the-town

Heh, sounds like you're just messing with stuff for now. The clicky noise in Load It Up is way too loud and it's basically just trolling me by saying, "you can't lower this noise so I'm going to keep clicking." The pads later in the song are interesting chords though I can't really hear them.

NIght on the Town sounds truly experimental. It's like entering Silent Hill where you think, "hey this is pretty nice." then you see the true horrors and everything is surreal and distorted. I can't really judge this type of music because I don't listen to it and I don't know what you're looking for.

I've skimmed through some tracks and as I posted for RP912, I can't really judge this as I don't listen to this gen-aire of music. I've never seen the word chimerical but your artist name is very fitting.

Argghh, I really need to get back into my music. All I have that is half decent (I hope) is something on Soundcloud. I really need to practice more.

https://soundcloud.com/dean-rutter/against-the-tides
It's rough (single take) and I'd only been using an ebow for about 4 hours!

Please increase the volume of the piano you have in the background. It's barely audible but sounds incredibly melancholy or lower the volume of the eBow(la) and try cutting the high frequencies a bit as it's kind of harsh on the ears. Maybe lowering the volume will aid that. Also near the end, the guitar clips (distorts) though you've noted that. I can totally imagine a slow-mo war sequence where the dude looks around seeing his pals die and scream in agony. This was fun to listen to.

www.youtube.com/nekofrog

Maybe this thread will motivate me to get off my ass and finish the album I've already posted songs of. Either of them.

Are you using ez Drummer in Cry of the Planet? Great guitar playing, this is reminiscent of grunge and I barely hear rock covers sound like this. You should really finish your album or upload more tracks. It's quality stuff.

Rösti;153524423 said:
I mainly do noise music, but sometimes remixes of popular electronic music. Currently not working on anything, apart for some branding, due to lack of creativity. But I'm hoping to get a few more tracks done soon. Some of my music is available on Soundcloud (temporary artist name): https://soundcloud.com/konformism

This is the type of music I'd imagine Max Payne hearing during the nightmare sequence or a heavily botched acid trip. I mean this in the most sincere way possible. I cannot judge this properly as I don't know how to judge noise music, but it's quite interesting to hear how different each GAF member is.

oh hello.
i started my musical life as a wannabe kurt cobain, 14 years of age with a horrible hand-me-down guitar and an even worse haircut. i tried my hand at the old 'being good' at an instrument but i never put the time in. still loved the thought of making music though and so i eventually enrolled into a digital music and sound art course at university. this put me on the path i'm on now, where i'm trying to get in to composing for video games and other visual media.
i've been working alongside fellow 'gaffer ashodin on his apexicon and psyscrolr projects, the latter containing loads of music by yet another neogaf guy, foshy.

here's my soundcloud alongside my last piece, a remix of a foshy track:

soundcloud

summer feeling (show me your skeleton mix)

Depths of Fun is interesting. Not your tradition chiptune song as chiptune is usually happy but this sounds more "explorative". I know that's not a word, but this reminds of me those SNES side scrollers where you're just going through a jungle or something.

Summer Feeling makes me feel weird when listening; it reminds me a lot of modern complextro/madeon-pop/french house but the sounds you're using are totally not the norm and the chord progression doesn't really "change" a lot. The elements are there, it's just totally different and I would like to see it progressive some more.

They're two music production threads now, so i'm posting this in both lol.

https://soundcloud.com/lethal-input/winged-so-hard-i-believe-i-can-fly

Would like some feedback/criticism. It's incomplete (not to imply i'm planning on working on it more) so that end is a bit abrupt.

There is no song, but I listened to your two latest ones and I'm not exactly sure how or what you're trying to make in terms of genre. You've been making music for over a year and you're making good progress IMO. I would focus on composition and choosing better sounds unless if the sound you currently have is what you want. Of course, it's much easier said than done but remaking your favorite songs is a good way to learn.

Oh man this is exactly what i was looking for, a community to work with and post progress.

im pretty inspired by the japanese scene so i started out with some sampling of some artists like shiina ringo, maya sakamoto etc.

https://soundcloud.com/audiophones-1/rouge

https://soundcloud.com/audiophones-1/chill-nigga-beat-1

the hunt for good vsts is kind of annoying....

"WOAH DUDE this is totally GNARLY man. Ive been looking for chill nigga beats for yearssss... buy you better share this with your friends your FRIENDS YOU FUCKING DICKHEAD BITCH"

The title is absolutely hilarious and so is the comment.

Regarding Chill-N****-Beat-1, the drums are really lacking in the punch department, especially the kick. Smoker's Relight is a great sample pack for jazzy hip hop/bossanova stuff so I'd check that out.

Regarding VSTs, Massive, Omnisphere and Trilian are good ones to look at. Massive is capable of making some very unique and atmospheric sounds while Omnisphere has some great vintage and cinematic stuff. Trilian is a bass.

I have been doing some rock covers lately and I would love your opinion on the sound/mix/mastering as I would like to become an amateur producer for other people's stuff. Currently there's just some grunge songs but I want to do other genres in the near future.

http://youtu.be/o_Y2XGNvHvM

http://youtu.be/_5v1-CPqThY

http://youtu.be/3DOGVd9zKlo

I absolutely hate the sound of EZ Drummer just cause it doesn't really fit well into mixes and it's so easy to tell that it's EZ Drummer. It's something about the reverb that it uses that makes it lack any punch or power. Superior Drummer sounds leagues better (and is also 30x the size and cost).

Regarding the mix, this would sound decent for an audition tape but please get rid of EZ Drummer if you can. I mean everything sounds pretty good and clear, but there's something that's missing. Maybe try and emulate the effects and position of the original vocals? Your voice sounds kind of distant in the tracks while the guitars are heavy and boomy. Maybe mixing around the vocals and using a different drumkit would do wonders.

Hey guys. I have been spending so much time on music production that I've actually neglected the forum here quite a bit. I would love to hear what you guys think. I have 3 tracks at https://soundcloud.com/jacksonsnapp

Listening to Another Land and the high frequencies are pretty harsh, especially the vocals. Did you use some sort of preset on the master channel? Regarding the drop, it lacks a lot of the punch and bass that usual electro house songs have. The sounds you're using could be better as well but if you're making them yourself, keep at it. You have the song structure down, but I'd try and emulate what your favorite producers are doing in terms of sound choices. I'm interested to see your progress a year from now.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope everyone appreciates my feedback. I may post one of my tracks here soon too so you guys don't think I'm a lying sack of potatoes.

Thanks.

Vally

PeaceTime & Risis - Drum Skin ft. Chaucie

The atmosphere is interesting here. Kinda deep house, chill, swagger. Interesting use of drums and instruments too. Would've been nice to have an actual "breakdown" where the song just kinda breathes a bit, introduces a new melody or some sort, then builds up again.

The mix itself sounds kinda muddy and "weak" in terms of the percussion. The kick doesn't really stand out and some reverb/delay to the snare (or an entirely new sound) would make it fit in much better. If I knew how to properly mix, I would give you pointers.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the track sounds kind of muddy, though it is an early version and PeaceTime said he was going to improve on the mixing (I haven't listened to the final version yet, but I guess it will sound at least a bit better). I really appreciate your comment :)

Nekofrog

Banned

Are you using ez Drummer in Cry of the Planet? Great guitar playing, this is reminiscent of grunge and I barely hear rock covers sound like this. You should really finish your album or upload more tracks. It's quality stuff.

Nope. EZ Drummer was used when I first started out and is glaringly noticeable in Fight For Our Future and Mechanical God, but I haven't used it in years.

max velocity addictive drums now which is a huge cruch in not learning superior 2

rObit

Banned
Well, I was hoping to learn more about hardware and its relation with the kind of music I want to make. I don't have a microphone yet (I do have an interface) so I was looking to get something that could cover good ground in terms of decently recording different kinds of sounds (vocals, classical guitars, electric guitars, etc.). Things like mixing and equalizing won't be much trouble, I'm guessing, since I do have some experience with that (and I have the theoretical basics down). So mostly info for getting the signal into the software as cleanly as possible.

I don't know what your budget is for microphones but I've had very positive experiences with the Audio Technica AT4033 for acoustic instruments. It runs about $400 and is amazing for that price. I've used it on acoustic guitars, violins, ambient percussive drums, vocals, and even just as an amp mic and it's really solid at just about everything. It's a very versatile mic. Did several mic shootouts involving it and I actually preferred its sound to much more expensive mics (like Neumanns) in some cases. If I had the money I'd buy one for myself. *Note* It's a condenser mic so your interface would need phantom power.

They also have cheaper mics in the same line, but I can't vouch for those personally.

*edit* if you don't have any mics at all I have to mention the old faithful Shure SM57. It's truly the workhorse of microphones and has always been $100, just has a bit of a flat tone when it comes to acoustic instruments compared to a nice condenser mic.

I haven't listened to all tracks in full length (skimmed over some songs) but the mix sounds well done and clear; no distortion, clipping, etc. It would be cool if you guys did an "alternative chillax" mix to some of the tracks as I preferred them to the heavy metal stuff. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback. The engineering was my main goal so I'm glad to hear there's no complaints there. It's just me on the album and I have been thinking about getting into more chill stuff now that I've got a metal album out of my system, I might revisit those tracks and see what I can do later, but after working on them for as long as I did I kinda just need a break from them for awhile. Again, thanks for the impressions.

Foshy

Your psyscrolr tracks capture the feel of VGM quite well and I feel gets the point across. However, I would suggest that you try and use some reverb and panning to create "space" in your sounds so that everything doesn't sound so dry. It's like creating the image of something large or farther away but with audio. Then again, it might just be your VST/samples that limit you.

Yeah, this is something I already noticed myself, but I was never quite sure of how I should fix that. Panning is certainly something I should experiment more with, thanks for the suggestion.

Would you say it's a bit better in these 2 tracks?

https://soundcloud.com/maumaumusic/clocktower

rObit

Banned
Yeah, this is something I already noticed myself, but I was never quite sure of how I should fix that. Panning is certainly something I should experiment more with, thanks for the suggestion.

I don't make much electronic music, but when I want things to occupy more space and sound wider I have a little fun and set up delay and / or reverb on some auxiliary tracks and pan those aux tracks out, then just experiment with sending different tracks to the aux tracks and see what sounds good. Might just be something fun to try. Definitely feeling more space on Clocktower, BTW.

-Eddman-

I absolutely hate the sound of EZ Drummer just cause it doesn't really fit well into mixes and it's so easy to tell that it's EZ Drummer. It's something about the reverb that it uses that makes it lack any punch or power. Superior Drummer sounds leagues better (and is also 30x the size and cost).

Regarding the mix, this would sound decent for an audition tape but please get rid of EZ Drummer if you can. I mean everything sounds pretty good and clear, but there's something that's missing. Maybe try and emulate the effects and position of the original vocals? Your voice sounds kind of distant in the tracks while the guitars are heavy and boomy. Maybe mixing around the vocals and using a different drumkit would do wonders.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Yeah, I'm using EZ Drummer because it speeds up the process considerably, but I agree with you, it kinda sounds like those karaoke machines after a while, lol.

I think the voice might sound distant because I probably went overboard with the compression and high frequency boost. I'll try to fix that in future recordings.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the track sounds kind of muddy, though it is an early version and PeaceTime said he was going to improve on the mixing (I haven't listened to the final version yet, but I guess it will sound at least a bit better). I really appreciate your comment :)

Interested to hear the new version compared to the one you currently have. Thank you for reading it.

Nope. EZ Drummer was used when I first started out and is glaringly noticeable in Fight For Our Future and Mechanical God, but I haven't used it in years.

max velocity addictive drums now which is a huge cruch in not learning superior 2

Heh, AD is less popular though I can occasionally recognize when it's used (maybe just the stock drum kit). Hope you do release your other stuff though.

Thanks for the feedback. The engineering was my main goal so I'm glad to hear there's no complaints there. It's just me on the album and I have been thinking about getting into more chill stuff now that I've got a metal album out of my system, I might revisit those tracks and see what I can do later, but after working on them for as long as I did I kinda just need a break from them for awhile. Again, thanks for the impressions.

Whatever you think is best, do that. Nothing good usually comes from forcing yourself to do something (that must explain my years of being unable to make something original!). Thanks for reading them.

Yeah, I can definitely hear some panning and stereo-imaging (Lakes' clap has some sort of stereo imaging on it so that it's not directly center).

Regarding how to create "space", just try using different presets on reverb plugins to see how different they sound in your mix. E.g. Studio room, Arena, Cathedral, etc. Also remember that too much is not good unless if that's what you're going for.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Yeah, I'm using EZ Drummer because it speeds up the process considerably, but I agree with you, it kinda sounds like those karaoke machines after a while, lol.

I think the voice might sound distant because I probably went overboard with the compression and high frequency boost. I'll try to fix that in future recordings.

I mean most people might not even care and think it's good enough, it's just something that I dislike probably due to my own inability to make it sound right and that a ton of people use it as well (and they all sound the same).

That might be it. I just find meatier vocals to be more fitting for rock songs. Maybe harmonizing would aid that as well. Interested to hear your future stuff and thanks for reading.

NotLiquid

Alright let's try to build up the balls to post this then
I make music under the moniker Plumegeist and have been going on for about four years under that name. I started off primarily doing just remixes and stuff for fan games but ended up taking this stuff more seriously after I got into Homestuck's coloUrs and mayhem albums. I've released one full-length album and am in the process of working on the second (which is divided into three parts, two of which I've already released).

Anyway I made a new EP. It's of mostly mellow electronics, some synthpop-ish, occasional lounge and trip hop influenced stuff. It's generally different from my back catalog but I never like to stick to one style. and melodically driven electronic is what I'd like to keep doing.

I still consider myself an amateur in many ways. I'm definitely far from many of the people who post in the music producers thread, and sometimes I worry I don't think too much into the "science" behind music making, but my self-consciousness has kept me from posting more about my music on some general social channels and I'm never going to get out there if I don't start.

I also post most of this stuff on my Soundcloud as well.

Ray Wonder

I make music under the moniker Plumegeist and have been going on for about four years under that name. I started off primarily doing just remixes and stuff for fan games but ended up taking this stuff more seriously after I got into Homestuck's coloUrs and mayhem albums. I've released one full-length album and am in the process of working on the second (which is divided into three parts, two of which I've already released).

Anyway I made a new EP. It's of mostly mellow electronics, some synthpop-ish, occasional lounge and trip hop influenced stuff. It's generally different from my back catalog but I never like to stick to one style. and melodically driven electronic is what I'd like to keep doing.

I still consider myself an amateur in many ways. I'm definitely far from many of the people who post in the music producers thread, and sometimes I worry I don't think too much into the "science" behind music making, but my self-consciousness has kept me from posting more about my music on some general social channels and I'm never going to get out there if I don't start.

I love the EP. Really chill. It's nice to listen to while working. I'm on my second listen through now.

Foshy

That's some really good stuff, enjoyed the EP :D Album art looks great too.

rObit

Banned

This is some awesome stuff, well done! Ghost and some bits and pieces of other tracks really give me Persona 3 soundtrack vibes.. I think Amass is my favorite track right now.

Whatever you think is best, do that. Nothing good usually comes from forcing yourself to do something (that must explain my years of being unable to make something original!). Thanks for reading them.

Hey Kwansu, I listened to some of your stuff before your edit and I really like your DK remixes! I just didn't post anything at the time because I'm trying to not be every third post in this thread >.> But definitely keep it up man I really liked it. Aquatic Ambiance is a banger.

Oh and Ray, had your mixtape going at a LAN party the other day. Nerds dig it.

Leatherface

Oh hai fellow artists! I just became aware of this fine thread and hope to be a part of the "club" so to speak. I shall share some of my music soon, but it in the meantime I hope to make all kinds of new discoveries in this thread. I'm gonna start checking you all out tonight when I get home. :)

Placktor

Hey! Awhile ago I released some stuff I made as an "EP", but it was just mostly just some things that I didn't really want to work on anymore and released. I'm incredibly new to this stuff and don't really know what I'm doing so don't expect anything too crazy or complex. I don't really know what the genre would be, some of them are chill and some are a little more weird.

https://soundcloud.com/aloysius-roe/sets/ep-1

Ray Wonder

This is dope! I like it.

Hey! Awhile ago I released some stuff I made as an "EP", but it was just mostly just some things that I didn't really want to work on anymore and released. I'm incredibly new to this stuff and don't really know what I'm doing so don't expect anything too crazy or complex. I don't really know what the genre would be, some of them are chill and some are a little more weird.

https://soundcloud.com/aloysius-roe/sets/ep-1

Some really creative stuff in here. Lot's of unique sounds. I dig it!

It makes me happy to see some more new faces in here <3. We're growing!

Yay! lol

Top Bottom