• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My brother is buying a 360 for Culdcept (also got my first taste of Live today)

Yup. My brother has switched from wanting a Wii.............to buying a 360 when Culdcept Saga releases. His PS2 Culdcept addiction convinced him to get one......dispite his wife who still wants a Wii , I believe.

The plan is for us to play each other online since we don't get to see each other much anymore. Culdcept was something I introduced him to and its been helpful in us maintaining a link as we grow older and busier.

So, I got a router today and 50ft of ethernet cable to initiate phase 2 of our 360/Culdcept Saga plan. I'm not really sold on the idea of playing other people online and I wouldn't even do this if it wasn't for him. I downloaded some demos and played some DOA4 today but I have a hard time justifying the money spent. Luckily, I have one month of free Gold service.

I'll probably let it run out and just renew when he gets his 360 and Culdcept.

That being said:

Heavy Weapon is a great game for Metal Slug fans. Not exactly the same but similar enough to appeal to the group. I really enjoyed the demo even if it looked like it was made in Flash. The music, sound effects, etc really give this game a great presentation. +1 million style points.

Pop Cap games is a great developer for the kind of cheap product it delivers. Very talented.

Lumines is a very competent Tetris spin-off but I fail to see why there is all the hype. This game needs to be way cheaper.

Quake 4 seems to be easily worth the 20 bucks if the demo is anything to go by. Fear looks like something I would by after it drops in price, very nice game.

I just don't see enough appealing content yet on XBLA. Got to try it all out and I'm dying to see Bubble Bobble, New Zealand Story and just a whole lot more "cute" content. Some SNK loving wouldn't be bad either. Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid should be worth a look, though.

I need an online game that will make me want to play with strangers. I hate people in general and thus see no need to really interact with them. Its not like Xbox Live can help me pick up chicks.

The movie download thing needs to be cheap and some of it is priced in my neighborhood. I have bought three DVD's in my lifetime.......all this christmas and for less than 20 bucks combined. The only way to get me to purchase a movie is to keep it to 3-4 bucks. I'm the type of person who only watches a movie he loves once........and then watches it again only after I've completely forgotten everything about it. However, I am excited about its potential and could see this justifying my purchase over time if I ever get enough hard drive space cheap and they have the content/pricing I want.

Anyone else see the potential for wrestling PPV releases? Not streaming live of course, but for download.

Anyways, I am hoping it all is worth it in the end. Culdcept has been a passion of ours and I'm only doing it to keep in touch with him. He seems very determined about this so I'm going along with it. Otherwise, I would be content to be an offline gamer.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I need an online game that will make me want to play with strangers. I hate people in general and thus see no need to really interact with them. Its not like Xbox Live can help me pick up chicks.

You've completely missed the point of live. It's not about playing with strangers, it's about building and playing with a community of friends. I have roughly 90 people on my friends list, all good folks, all active gamers and it's a blast to play with them daily.

You get idiots in random games but you also get idiots on the streets, take your pick :p

Live gaming without friends is not THAT bad at all, hell I got to lv45 in lost planet over a weekend playing and my time was well spent online.

bigswords

Xbox Live is a great place to meet ppl to talk trash and stuff, but I really cant stand 10-14 year old talking crap about their gf WHILE A MATCH IS GOING ON. Oh the singing...please make the singing stop...

bigswords

Diablohead said:
Live gaming without friends is not THAT bad at all, hell I got to lv45 in lost planet over a weekend playing and my time was well spent online.

Jeeze u are good, I have been lagging in most matches and I struggled to reach lvl 13 in one day lol!

I've tried some more demos. Phantasy Star doesn't seem all that impressive.....I feel like I'm playing a last gen MMO.

Tried some multiplayer Gears but didn't care too much for it......probably becuase I'm a noob to the game in general.

Downloaded just about every XBLA game demo and I've deleted most. XBLA is just a big steaming pile of crap so far. Its downright insulting, is what it is. Heavy Weapon looks like a purchase if it gets down to 5 bucks but other than that......

About all I can say so far is that I know I'll pick up Quake 4 and FEAR sometime cheap. Other than that, I don't like it so far. In fact, I'm kinda pissed that this is all there is. I know I have to be missing something because everyone else raves about Live. I won't be buying any Microsoft points for a long while, I can tell you that.

I can pop in Halo 2 and still play online right? If so, are there many people online? I'm a much better Halo player than a Gears player (mainly becuase I'm holding off on playing much of Gears due to my bro).

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I've tried some more demos. Phantasy Star doesn't seem all that impressive.....I feel like I'm playing a last gen MMO.

Tried some multiplayer Gears but didn't care too much for it......probably becuase I'm a noob to the game in general.

Downloaded just about every XBLA game demo and I've deleted most. XBLA is just a big steaming pile of crap so far. Its downright insulting, is what it is. Heavy Weapon looks like a purchase if it gets down to 5 bucks but other than that......

About all I can say so far is that I know I'll pick up Quake 4 and FEAR sometime cheap. Other than that, I don't like it so far. In fact, I'm kinda pissed that this is all there is. I know I have to be missing something because everyone else raves about Live. I won't be buying any Microsoft points for a long while, I can tell you that.

I can pop in Halo 2 and still play online right? If so, are there many people online? I'm a much better Halo player than a Gears player (mainly becuase I'm holding off on playing much of Gears due to my bro).

:lol

I know I know, people have different tastes, but that just reads funny to me :p

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

clashfan

Try the Lost Planet multiplayer demo. I haven't bought any news games because all I have been playing is that LP demo.

soul creator said:

I know I know, people have different tastes, but that just reads funny to me :p

I didn't notice the framerate issues everyone was talking about. I'm assuming they pop up in the later levels when the main character changes. One thing I noticed from the demo and from playing Doom 3, it seems like games running off of the Doom 3 engine (at least ID games) don't have enough enemies on screen for my tastes. The demo had some more but Doom 3 itself seem to be "walk into room, find 1-2 enemies, repeat".

Anyways, it seemed alright for 20 bucks. I need my FPS fix and the game I really want is FEAR but I'm waiting for a price drop. Halo 3 can't get here fast enough.

Schafer said:
You've completely missed the point of live. It's not about playing with strangers, it's about building and playing with a community of friends. I have roughly 90 people on my friends list, all good folks, all active gamers and it's a blast to play with them daily.

Agreed, except the majority of my friends list is made up of people from Viva Pinata, who I've never played anything else with, because I don't play online much anyway (maybe I'll see them on Crackdown if the demo makes me buy it).

I'll play Culdcept with you, Doc

You know, we Culdcept fans should just band together here at GAF similar to how Viva fans did prior to that games launch. Actually, to accomplish that, we just need a Speevy Mega thread.lol

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
You know, we Culdcept fans should just band together here at GAF similar to how Viva fans did prior to that games launch. Actually, to accomplish that, we just need a Speevy Mega thread.lol

Yeahhh... I'm totally not making that. I call "not it!"

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I didn't notice the framerate issues everyone was talking about.

are you playing in 480i/p by chance? I think Quake 4 was actually one of the games where it actually performs better than at 720p/1080i (Tomb Raider is another that comes to mind).

Orodreth

You can try kameo coop although i dont remember if you like the game at all.

PDZ even if with a flawed single has a fun coop.

Also Battle of Middle Earth if you´re into RTS.

And Enchanted Arms has an online golems vs mode.

Top Bottom