• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Concern: Console's Final Solution - You No Longer Will Own A License To The Games You Play

cdthree

Well you can count on the greed of gaming companies to ensure physical copies will always being around. Sure not every game ever made will be preserved for future generations, but that's true of every media throughout time that has been lost. Are you saying that every game will be online only? Doubtful. Not every person wants to play a online only multi-player game. Gaming companies will cater to single player games and online only segments just like every other media industry caters to their respective submarkets. Why wouldn't game companies double dip in selling hard copies to enthusiasts when the can sell limited releases of first run games. Then sell you game of the year editions. Then the original game plus all dlc content. Then the directors cut. Endless money stream. On top of streaming licenses? Why not? Heck even Disney stops selling classic movies for a time to cull the market. Game companies would eventually run afoul with government regulators if they restricted you from every owing a hard copy. Call that big no-no to tell an American that especially considering our history. Wouldn't be allowed in TV, movies, or music. Why do you think it would happen in gaming?Streaming or digital buys are just a future gaming option.

Gorki247

I remember years ago when my friend and I were still speculating about a digital future of games. As a collector of games, I used to be so against it; I would always want my games to be physical. Today, the majority of my Xbox One and PS4 games are digital (Switch is still a bit of a mix). All my old games, from the Master System to Xbox 360 and everything inbetween, are all in storage. Digital is just a lot more practical and convenient.

Is there a time in the future where the XBL or PSN service may shut down and I could lose access to my digital collection? Of course, and that is a risk I have to accept. However being realistic, at that point I will most likely have moved on from these games; and if there are some that I remember fondly and really want to play again, I could probably just get a cheap physical copy to replace it (if the actual console is still working or replaceable, that is).

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy the convenience of a digital library. As for games getting de-listed; the majority of these are still available to download if bought previously. I probably have more physical games that I own but can no longer play than I have digital ones.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The day that happens, is the day that I either quit gaming altogether or go retro.

Agreed. I refuse to be a part of this digital hellscape that certain publishers so desperately want to move to. I want to own my games and be able to play them 20 years after the fact (outside of specific titles like say World of Warcraft).

Petrae

The day that happens, is the day that I either quit gaming altogether or go retro.

This is the inevitability that I have been planning for. I have a decent library of non-connected games from NES to Wii that will keep me occupied once I am completely fed up with the bullshit that is modern console video gaming.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My first real burn was Marble Blast Ultra. My dad was paying for my XBL and he died. I took up the payment schedule and created a new account. So long, farewell to an awesome game I'll never have again. There's a very good PC port of it that fans have ported though.

CeeJay

Regardless of whether you have a physical disc, digital download or stream a particular game. Does it really matter if in a distant future you lose the option to download or stream it but are still are able to load the disc? The time has long since passed where you would get the full complete game on the disc day 1.

You are worried about an uncertain future where you will lose access to games when in reality you have already passed that point some years ago. The point when you began connecting your console to the internet to download updates for your games the writing was already on the wall.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of whether you have a physical disc, digital download or stream a particular game. Does it really matter if in a distant future you lose the option to download or stream it but are still are able to load the disc? The time has long since passed where you would get the full complete game on the disc day 1.

You are worried about an uncertain future where you will lose access to games when in reality you have already passed that point some years ago. The point when you began connecting your console to the internet to download updates for your games the writing was already on the wall.

You're right, let's just give up, roll over and let the corporate bastards tickle our bellies.

Go retro now while stuff is still (relatively) cheap. Buy console hardware as well as software. Right now there's a heavy focus on collecting games, but within the next few years people will start fighting over the original hardware, too. Prices are already going up.

Last edited:

n0razi

Thats why I always buy multiplats on PC (no DRM like GoG if possible)

Go retro now while stuff is still (relatively) cheap. Buy console hardware as well as software. Right now there's a heavy focus on collecting games, but within the next few years people will start fighting over the original hardware, too. Prices are already going up.

Eh, there will always be hardware solutions (Retron5, etc)... you only need the original hardware for nostalgia

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I know at least with the PS4 "scene", they are capturing and packaging update files as well as games for just this reason. I believe this was fairly common practice on the Xbox 360 with title updates as well. Once again, piracy provides more for preservation than the game companies themselves are willing to.

Eh, there will always be hardware solutions (Retron5, etc)... you only need the original hardware for nostalgia
I'm not going to talk you out of using a Retron5 or a RetroFreak or whatever (I have a Retron5 myself) but there's a distinction between playing it on original hardware (hopefully on a CRT) and playing it emulated through an aftermarket retro box. They are nice options. However, there are disadvantages to using them. For instance, lag.

I don't mention original hardware as if I'm a snobby purist, insisting that is the ONLY way to play them. I'm merely pointing out that the stuff will continue climbing in price so if you want the original hardware, now is the time.

Last edited:

Senhua

Better to pay $100-150 yearly to play all the game on one platform than buy individual digital game for $60 each as both have the same outcome in regards to ownership of the games. Still don't understand why digital games being priced 1:1 with the physical one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom