• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My contention: Terminator 3 is a quality Terminator film

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 was a worthy addition to the franchise. I just watched most of it again not too long ago; I had forgotten how much it kicked ass. Sure, it's not as good a film as its predecessors, but **** if it wasn't the best action movie that came out that summer.

Pimpbaa

LakeEarth said:
My only with T3 was the complete lack of personality of the TX. Even in T1, Arnold would feign emotion and not act like a robot for 100% of the movie. T1000 actually had a personality acting as the cop, interviewing people looking for John. When John was in his sights, that's when the T1000 switched to killing machine mode. For some reason the TX was always 'robot' mode, even when pretending to be Claire Daine's fiancee, he was acting like a strange 'invasion of the body snatchers' crazy mode and it didn't fit. The TX was always in stone-face killer mode even when the situation didn't call for it.

That's cause she is a female terminator and she had cyborg pms.

Darko said:
dalyr95 said:
loe55_22-faceslapanimation.gif

QUOTE]

:lol sad thing is i know who that is... :(

Come on man, a name, give us a name!

koam

OmniGamer said:
That's not a deleted scene...isn't that the scene of them in the car after they picked up Sarah and she chewed John out for coming to get her?

And in T2, there is NOTHING approaching the cringworthiness of "TALK TO DA HAND".

Yes, but i think that's only in the extended edition of the movie, i might be wrong.

Linkzg said:
the only thing T1 has above T2 is Kyle Reese
and better realized characters, and an evil Arnold, and Linda Hamilton nudity, and no annoying kids, and the best musical score of the series, and non-humanized cyborgs, and Lance Henrikson, and...

boy, that list is getting long.

T3 was anything but a quality movie. The plot was ridiculous, I mean, Sarah Connor leaving all those machine guns in her coffin as inheritance just in case? Please.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Operations said:
T3 was anything but a quality movie. The plot was ridiculous, I mean, Sarah Connor leaving all those machine guns in her coffin as inheritance just in case? Please.

Did you forget the scene in T2 where she broke out of the mental hospital and stabbed the orderlies in the jugular? There is no such thing as 'too crazy' for Sarah Connor.

Gav

Terminator 2 is my all time favourite movie, and the Trilogy is my favourite movie trilogy.

That said, Terminator 3 is definitely a great addition to the franchise. The ending being particularly outstanding. T1 and T2 definitely are better movies, but T3 was fantastic.

anybody who complains about the script or acting in T3 needs to watch t2 again. sometimes the script and acting is almost Kojima/uwe boll bad.

No jokes Edward Furlong is horrible in the movie.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kabuki Waq said:
anybody who complains about the script or acting in T3 needs to watch t2 again. sometimes the script and acting is almost Kojima/uwe boll bad.

No jokes Edward Furlong is horrible in the movie.

You, did, not, just separate Kojima and Uwe Boll with a ****ing FORWARD SLASH?

Wait.

You did not just compare them in any shape or form. Am I dreaming?

/me goes into Sarah Connor mode.

(It's all in good fun).

Phoenix

MrOctober said:
Or they hated it because it had scenes like "talk to the hand" And it was unbelievably awful.

QFT. While I didn't hate it, it was a very forgettable experience.

Christopher

T3 lost all the feeling and grittness that T1 and T2 had and it became more "hollywood" if you would.

No Sarah killed it for me.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Christopher said:
T3 lost all the feeling and grittness that T1 and T2 had and it became more "hollywood" if you would.

No Sarah killed it for me.

qft.

still, it was entertaining and not a complete waste that it could've been and not nearly as bad as other sequels in other franchises.

effzee

a lot of T3 seemed like it was recycling scenes from T2. it was trying to re capture the T2 feel and didn't really know what it was doing. i still liked it a lot but as a Terminator movie it didn't feel anything special.

Pimpbaa

reilo said:
You, did, not, just separate Kojima and Uwe Boll with a ****ing FORWARD SLASH?

Wait.

You did not just compare them in any shape or form. Am I dreaming?

Yeah, that's pretty insulting to Uwe Boll.

T3 was a parody of T2.

Terminator coming out of the bar to YMCA? Those wanker elton glasses? The Terminator is not supposed to be self-conscious. There was no feeling of threat in T3 whatsoever. I couldn't believe how much Mostow ****ed that movie up. You see the TX coming for Kate Brewster in the cemetery, Connor and the T850 (improved with a degree in psychology) roll up to save her and John says...........'YOU WANNA LIVEE!?!?!? C'MOOOON!'

How can you **** that up? To any Terminator fan it's obvious what his line was supposed to be.

Also, John as a kid ****ing rode around in helicopters, 'learning how to blow shit up'. In T2 there's people dying all around him, but even as a kid he realises he has to have the balls to do something, to save human life (dyson) regardless of the consequences. In T3 his character has developed backwards? Now he's some whiny burnout? Get ****ed.

How about the T850's motorbike? Do you guys remember that shitty police bike? It sounded like a kid's toy and had flashed accordingly. From the start of the film when John narrates 'They tried to kill me when I was 13' I knew they had ****ed it. The actor was 13 dickheads, John the character was 10 - if you're going to make a sequel to an all-time favourite, get your facts straight.

There was no style to this movie whatsoever. It's a Terminator film where 3 quarters of it takes place during the daytime? What the **** is that shit? There are a lot of big things that piss me off about the movie, but it's also in the little things:

- Terminator reloads his shotgun like an amateur in T3.
- When he uses the minigun outside the cemetery, bullets ricochet everywhere. Cameron said in T2 he made sure there was absolutely NO ricocheting because it implies innacuracy. A bullet could have ricocheted and hit somebody in the head.
- The scene where all the bombs are going off. This was Sarah's nightmare coming to fruition. You think you could've included that playground burning up? That would've been a great throwback to the old movies. Rather than hamming up 'She'll be BACK!', 'I'm BACK!'.

The problem with the one-liners in T3 is that it felt like they were said for the sake of saying them, rather than being used for a reason in the context of each situation.

And yes, as was said before, the Terminator is supposed to be feared, brutal and ****ing cool. He's used as comic relief throughout the entire movie.

I expect T4 to be another schlock-fest/money grab by those Vajna/Kassar assholes.

Scullibundo said:
T3 was a parody of T2.

Terminator coming out of the bar to YMCA? Those wanker elton glasses? The Terminator is not supposed to be self-conscious. There was no feeling of threat in T3 whatsoever. I couldn't believe how much Mostow ****ed that movie up. You see the TX coming for Kate Brewster in the cemetery, Connor and the T850 (improved with a degree in psychology) roll up to save her and John says...........'YOU WANNA LIVEE!?!?!? C'MOOOON!'

How can you **** that up? To any Terminator fan it's obvious what his line was supposed to be.

Also, John as a kid ****ing rode around in helicopters, 'learning how to blow shit up'. In T2 there's people dying all around him, but even as a kid he realises he has to have the balls to do something, to save human life (dyson) regardless of the consequences. In T3 his character has developed backwards? Now he's some whiny burnout? Get ****ed.

How about the T850's motorbike? Do you guys remember that shitty police bike? It sounded like a kid's toy and had flashed accordingly. From the start of the film when John narrates 'They tried to kill me when I was 13' I knew they had ****ed it. The actor was 13 dickheads, John the character was 10 - if you're going to make a sequel to an all-time favourite, get your facts straight.

There was no style to this movie whatsoever. It's a Terminator film where 3 quarters of it takes place during the daytime? What the **** is that shit? There are a lot of big things that piss me off about the movie, but it's also in the little things:

- When he uses the minigun outside the cemetery, bullets ricochet everywhere. Cameron said in T2 he made sure there was absolutely NO ricocheting because it implies innacuracy. A bullet could have ricocheted and hit somebody in the head.
- The scene where all the bombs are going off. This was Sarah's nightmare coming to fruition. You think you could've included that playground burning up? That would've been a great throwback to the old movies. Rather than hamming up 'She'll be BACK!', 'I'm BACK!'.

The problem with the one-liners in T3 is that it felt like they were said for the sake of saying them, rather than being used for a reason in the context of each situation.

And yes, as was said before, the Terminator is supposed to be feared, brutal and ****ing cool. He's used as comic relief throughout the entire movie.

I expect T4 to be another schlock-fest/money grab by those Vajna/Kassar assholes.

Yes, yes. But who's the girl in the GIF!??!!?

Scullibundo said:
T3 was a parody of T2.

Perfect post.

dalyr95

Good post, another thing, when the world is nuked, there only appears to be the those tank Terminators as the only physical representation of Skynet, how can they get the infrastructure in place to mass produce not only replicants of themselves but invest the R&D neccessary to produce the rest of the Terminator line.

It seems like they struck too early without the neccessary means to take over the world. At least in T2, the story was that most of the US Navy/Airforce was automated. T3 sucks

J2 Cool

Sorry. It was awful as a Terminator. Decent only as empty entertainment for people who simply enjoy Terminator. The truth is

T1 - 11/10
T2 - 11/10
T3 - 6.5/10

It's like comparing some awful Final Fantasy spin off to the best the series have to offer. It's Godfather III, only worse to fans. Both have a slightly enjoyable ending. Terminator people like the "what if" scenario. Godfather III has Sofia Coppola pay for ruining the series. It doesn't exist as a Terminator film. You can enjoy it as a well-made fan film though.

Phoenix said:
QFT. While I didn't hate it, it was a very forgettable experience.

Exactly. It had no reason to exist, other than have another wacky Terminator adventure and show people an ending that went through with something the series' previously hinted at. T2 had logical advances to the characters. Sarah Connor's demise. John Connor's childhood as a result of his mom's knowledge. And the collision that reunites them and sets John's future up. Not to mention the twist back then which sets up a very different Terminator and mission. Getting a bit into artificial intelligence's ability to learn. Sarah Connor facing moral issues with Dyson. A lot of foreboding and general fear. One of the greatest villains in a film ever, living up to T1's. An awesome intro, dozens of the greatest action sequences of all-time.. To have to accept a bit of disbelief as to how they were sent back in time is quite enough of a sacrifice to get into a story that actually had some things to say.

Along with all of T3's ridiculousness plotwise, I didn't give a shit about the characters. Sarah was just dead now. Terminator was a shell. T-X pointless and dull. John a shell. It's completely a fan film w/ a budget.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Nameless said:
Its ok, but the ending was such a ****in cop-out. I expected more following The Terminator and T2, honestly. The chase scene was stuff of legend, though.
What? The ending was the best part. **** everyone that says it "ruined" the mythos of the series, I thought it was an immensely satisfying conclusion, and quite frankly, the only way it could have gone down. (Not stopping judgment day, merely surviving it.)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The first one is too outside my time for me to enjoy properly...didn't care for the second one...really liked the third one, despite it's problems.

Bring on T4!

Wollan

I thought T3 was a cool movie and I really liked the ending but, I didn't like the fact that they used a less advanced terminator. Sure, she had a plasma weapon and such but her core and inner body workings were mechanic and therefor she couldn't heal herself (with the aforementioned plasma weapon getting destroyed).

JdFoX187

Banned
I want my T4 damnit. I enjoyed Terminator 3 though. The thing that irritated me was how they kept showing the war in the trailers and then they were nothing more than flashbacks.

Scullibundo said:
T3 was a parody of T2.

I think I said almost the exact same thing to my friend the minute we walked out of the theater.
T2 forever.

T3 would've been ten times better if it explored john's character further. i'm sure being on the run for over a decade would give him some interesting personality traits. it kind of hinted that he became a burnout but it never really expounded on that

Wollan said:
I thought T3 was a cool movie and I really liked the ending but, I didn't like the fact that they used a less advanced terminator. Sure, she had a plasma weapon and such but her core and inner body workings were mechanic and therefor she couldn't heal herself (with the aforementioned plasma weapon getting destroyed).

QFT. Get the three Terminators and the only one that would survive the Hydraulic Press from the first movie is the T1000. TX is lame.

Shinobi

theBishop said:
If there are people who feel T3 was some sort of "sell out" moment for the series, or somehow undermined the artistic merit of the franchise, well... those people think too highly of Terminator.

I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. Not as good as T2, but definitely worthy of the series.

Agreed...especially that first paragraph. And for those who love to say T3 recycled half of T2, T2 recycled at least half of T1.

SomeDude

Banned
The movie has great action scenes like Camerons movies did. Yet at the same time, like camerons movies, the dialoge and acting isn't all that good. It's probably the weakest of the series. The TX was just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom