• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend claims that the PS5 does not have HDMI 2.1 functions

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony claims that the PS5 does not have HDMI 2.1 functions.

He is the one in red.

Is he correct?? If he is wrong, how do i refute him?
bzFSydl.jpg

Clarissa

Banned
Also, you mentioned your friend is a Nintendo fanboy. They are still on 7th gen hardware tech. The shit they care about HDMI 2.1 for?
He hates Sony.

He's siding with Xbox now because Xbox is the enemy of Sony and he wants Microsoft to buy out more developers to fuck Sony in the rear.

So anyway. Is my friend correct? Will the ps5 patch in HDMI 2.1 features later?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Show them this thread as proof tha Panasonic makes high quality HDMI 2.1 chipsets

Clarissa

Banned
My friend says that the PS5 does not support VRR (Variable Refresh Rate). Will this come in the near future?

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Capable of and currently using are 2 different things. As of right now his friend is correct PS5 is missing a lot of HDMI 2.1 features.

That can be fixed in a patch, but until then his friend is technically correct as it does not have those features.
Read my post. I used the word “capable”. I’m not incorrect. Also, why the hype? Like 1% of TV owners use a 120hz tv anyhow.

Maddux4164

They are talking about VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) a feature in the HDMI 2.1 spec.

They are not talking about PSVR.
Oh. That’s my bad. Ooops. Not even sure what VRR is other than the way it sounds. Like 60hz and 120hz and variably switching between?

Kagey K

Banned
Half true. It’s fully capable. Let’s allow Sony to shoot a patch eh? It’s day 2 of PS5.
If it’s not using them right now, it’s missing the features. I agreed that it’s capable of it, but it doesn’t have them as of now.

As he wrote that sentence it is entirely true.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

I own a LG C9 so I'm looking forward to 4k 120 fps games on my TV.
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony owns a CX.
Whew. 4K and 120fps? At the same time? Gonna need to be an indie or something eh? We barely see 4k/60. You’re talking 3080 GPU stuff or more

I have a basic Samsung 4K and certainly am not upgrading for years to come.

In the 8th gen we barely got 30fps on a base PS4/XBone So I’ll be fine with 60fps myself.

I’ve never had or seen a 120hz monitor in person. I’m sure it’s nice. But no need for myself.

Facts still remain that it’s a very niche market to own a 120hz tv though. It also sacrifices the HELL out of graphics

Clarissa

Banned
Half true. It’s fully capable. Let’s allow Sony to shoot a patch eh? It’s day 2 of PS5.
Can variable refresh rate be simply patched in??

My friend is now sending pictures of ps5s malfunctioning and warning eveyone not to buy a ps5. Spreading more FUDs about Playstation. He's working overtime today.

Maddux4164

My friend is now sending pictures of ps5s malfunctioning and warning eveyone not to buy a ps5. Spreading more FUDs about Playstation. He's working overtime today.

No idea myself. I’m sure someone here will know

Maddux4164

I'm looking for someone who is an Xbox Fanboy who hates Nintendo and another person who is a Sony Fanboy who hates Xbox to be my friends so that I have the holy trinity of fanboys to be my friends.
Yeah but HE CAN COOK!!
Seriously that’s awesome. Think on it eh?

Kagey K

Banned
Whew. 4K and 120fps? At the same time? Gonna need to be an indie or something eh? We barely see 4k/60. You’re talking 3080 GPU stuff or more

I have a basic Samsung 4K and certainly am not upgrading for years to come.

In the 8th gen we barely got 30fps on a base PS4/XBone So I’ll be fine with 60fps myself.

I’ve never had or seen a 120hz monitor in person. I’m sure it’s nice. But no need for myself.

Facts still remain that it’s a very niche market to own a 120hz tv though. It also sacrifices the HELL out of graphics

This is matter of factly untrue, there are more than a few budget 4K TVs that support 120 htz and they are only going to get more common.

Downplaying it, because you don’t own one today, doesn’t say anything about where you might be in 7 years and these launch games trying to future proof themselves.

Same as when MS forced high speed internet on the OG Xbox or why would anyone make HD games in 2005. These are things they are looking 7 years ahead of where you are right now.

VRR can be patched in on a system level.

Where is he getting these videos of PS5 malfunctioning if they aren’t? Is it FUD if it’s true?

Clarissa

Banned
This is matter of factly untrue, there are more than a few budget 4K TVs that support 120 htz and they are only going to get more common.

Downplaying it, because you don’t own one today, doesn’t say anything about where you might be in 7 years and these launch games trying to future proof themselves.

Same as when MS forced high speed internet on the OG Xbox or why would anyone make HD games in 2005. These are things they are looking 7 years ahead of where you are right now.

Where is he getting these videos of PS5 malfunctioning if they aren’t? Is it FUD if it’s true?

He gets his info from Twitter.

And also that famous picture of the ps5 overheating. He's been posting that.

Maddux4164

Still I remain correct. It’s niche. Budget or not. The average consumer looking for a 4K screen doesn’t know shit about 120hz and HDR 10+ ultra and other buzz words.

Couldn’t care less myself. Go for 240fps for all I care. I’ll be happy at 60fps personally. Good for those who wants 120 though.

Kagey K

Banned
Still I remain correct. It’s niche. Budget or not. The average consumer looking for a 4K screen doesn’t know shit about 120hz and HDR 10+ ultra and other buzz words.

Couldn’t care less myself. Go for 240fps for all I care. I’ll be happy at 60fps personally. Good for those who wants 120 though.
The ones buying a console on day one do and they will be the ones influencing their friends.

I think you underestimate how many TVs are capable of it, though not at 4K and 120 at the same time.

Maddux4164

The ones buying a console on day one do and they will be the ones influencing their friends.

I think you underestimate how many TVs are capable of it, though not at 4K and 120 at the same time.

I’m STILL correct. Also, this gen is mainly about one thing.

4K.

Period.

4K in itself is still in its infancy overall. Just the past 2-3 years it’s gained mass consumer support. But it’s not a secret that a majority of humans lack even a 4K screen.
Content reflects that. Content over streaming in 4K is 90-10 NOT 4K. Streaming tv services to my knowledge don’t offer it at all. Netflix has a small selection and Amazon Prime offers none for free on streaming to my knowledge as well.

This gen is finally bringing 4K gaming to the masses. No developer is concerned with 120fps. None. They’ll do it for buzz words and media if possible. But it’s absolutely NOT a goal for game developers to hit 120fps. Their goals currently are 4K/30 w/ray tracing and dynamic 4K/60.

Let’s not confuse what can be done and also what is Factually priority for 99% of game developers

Priority is 4k 30/60 with ray tracing and/or fidelity

Top Bottom