• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My goodness...A Grenade machine gun. (250 grenades per minute)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makura

1.jpg

General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products (GDATP) is currently developing the XM307, a lightweight, portable grenade machine gun that utilizes 25mm airbursting ammunition. This next-generation replacement for current heavy and grenade machine guns efficiently manages recoil and is highly portable in small soldier units. The system can be quickly and easily converted to a 12.7mm machine gun. GDATP is the prime contractor with total system integration.

Specifications
System
Weight 50 Pounds (19.05 kg) (Gun, Mount, and Fire Control)
Fire Control Full Solution, Day/Night
Portability Two-Man Portable & Vehicle Mountable
Stability Up to 18-Inch Tripod Height
Environmental Operationally Insensitive to Conditions
Gun
Dimensions 9.9Wx7.2Hx52.3L max inches (43.3L charged)/
251.46x182.88x1328.42mm (1099.82 charged)
Rate of Fire 250 Shots per Minute, Automatic
Dispersion Less than 1.5 Mils, One Sigma Radius
Range Lethal and Suppressive Out to 2,000 Meters
Ammunition High-Explosive Airbursting, Armor Piercing, and Training Ammunition (HE, AP, TP, TP-S)
Feed System Weapon-Mountable Ammunition Can (Left Feed)

http://www.gdatp.com/products/lethality/xm307/xm307.htm

calder

Hehe, my first thought was the auto-cannons in Aliens too. That's the kind of shit I always think the space marines/rogue explorers/etc should be carrying when they're exploring creepy old ruins or abandoned planetary colonies. ;)

One thing you don't see enough in horror movies where swarms of aliens or mutantated spiders or whatever attack is the humans packing cool shit to fight back. Of course in a horror movie the humans have to be seriously outgunned and running but at least once you like to see them find some really cool weapons that stop the badguys dead for a bit, like the cannons in Aliens. Shit those were sweet.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Yet Cameron took out that auto-cannon sequence for the theatrical release. Bastard.

I remember seeing that footage on TV edited version and was like 'I don't remember that!!!!'

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Make a recruitment poster with a picture of that weapon with the words 'Join and we'll let you use this' below it and you've got a ton of new enlisted men right there.

luxsol

Isn't this gun basically what they use on the light armored vehicles like the Bradley?

It would be pretty effective in stopping light armored vehicles, which would be a big plus for small soldier units as that article states who it's meant for.

Slo

Seriously, when using this weapon you'd HAVE to know that you can be completely and utterly inaccurate. Would you use this to attack a building?

darscot

Would this weapon not go against anti mine and cluster bomb agreements. Oh that's right the US vetoes them in favor of this nonsense.

luxsol

Wow, this gun actually seems to be better than the main gun for the Bradley
The M242 is a single barrel, automatic cannon capable of firing two types of ammunition in single shot and in burst fire mode at rates up to 200 shot per minute. Either armor piercing (AP) or high explosive (HE) ammunition can be selected by the Bradley gunner to engage all types of battlefield targets.

http://w4.pica.army.mil/PicatinnyPublic/products_services/products11.asp

Slo said:
Seriously, when using this weapon you'd HAVE to know that you can be completely and utterly inaccurate. Would you use this to attack a building?

Buildings, trucks, large amounts of infantry, alien invasion, cattle...

Makura

DaCocoBrova said:
Yet Cameron took out that auto-cannon sequence for the theatrical release. Bastard.

I remember seeing that footage on TV edited version and was like 'I don't remember that!!!!'

That footage along with footage of the colonists (including a pre-disheveled Newt) discovering the derelict is in the collectors edition DVD.

SyNapSe

<Bunny pops up from foxhole>

<70 Grenades later>

Seriously, I would love to see them "practice" with this thing. What the hell would you aim at!?

GIR

Banned
This is so old, has no one here ever heard of Metal Storm, I'm guessing this launcher is based on the same tech.

Caddle

Noob weapon, you do know that when on the range with this weapon your usually shooting at target more than 1000 meters away right. Not only that but you have to hit the target dead on to claim a kill. You also forget about the wind factor when shooting over long distances, and that is only on a stationery platform. Mount this on top a humvee like you do the Mark 19 and moving and everything gets a lot tougher. I went from hitting 10 out of 12 target to 2 when firing from a vehicle and moving. Don't laugh I was a private back then, I got a whole lot better before I made sergeant.

Caddle said:
Noob weapon, you do know that when on the range with this weapon your usually shooting at target more than 1000 meters away right. Not only that but you have to hit the target dead on to claim a kill. You also forget about the wind factor when shooting over long distances, and that is only on a stationery platform. Mount this on top a humvee like you do the Mark 19 and moving and everything gets a lot tougher. I went from hitting 10 out of 12 target to 2 when firing from a vehicle and moving. Don't laugh I was a private back then, I got a whole lot better before I made sergeant.

gg nub i r teh l33t i pwnz j00 n00b stfu plzkthx

Phoenix

Slo said:
Under what circumstances would you need a rapid fire grenade launcher?

Your unit is either assaulting an objective or you're about to get plum run the hell over by mass concentrations of approaching enemies.

luxsol

Phoenix said:
Your unit is either assaulting an objective or you're about to get plum run the hell over by mass concentrations of approaching enemies.
It's supposed to be used against vehicles. They use the same type of ammo (high explosives and armor piercing) as vehicle based weapons and it's overkill against infantry. Plus this gun has to be stationary to be used, so I see it mainly used for defense.

SKluck

Banned
25mm shells... Not bad, not bad.

Seriously, why not mount like 6 of these on an APC and let it conquer other countries all by itself?

It's supposed to be used against vehicles. They use the same type of ammo (high explosives and armor piercing) as vehicle based weapons and it's overkill against infantry. Plus this gun has to be stationary to be used, so I see it mainly used for defense.

Well, HE is generally for soft targets, infantry, light vehicles, and AP is for tanks, APC, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom