• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My life's a nightmare. What can I do to wake up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenov

you should apply for medicaid. its free to apply, and you would prob qualify based on low income alone. look up your states medicaid program and go from there.

have you thought of something like patreon, maybe it would help you, you are good with words, and "pc centric", i think there are people out there who would like to contribute, maybe is something you would explore as an option.
I´m spanish so all your troubles with the healt insurance are a bit alien to me, here if there is a approved treatment for your illnes you don´t have to pay for it, in fact in the hospital i work there´s one pacient with the most expensive treatment in the world according to forbes, is nearly 450000 euros a year, is around 600000 $?

DocSeuss

Also, have you tried talking to your Dean of students? He/she would have to be Ebenezer Scrooge if they heard your story of financial difficulty, medical infirmity, and job uncertainty and didn't talk to someone in admissions about getting you a more competitive financial aid package. There's no shame in taking a handout if you're in need. That's what these admins are there for.

You know, I'd never thought of this. I think I will try to reach out. Thanks. This is the kind of suggestion I created this thread for. :D

have you thought of something like patreon, maybe it would help you, you are good with words, and "pc centric", i think there are people out there who would like to contribute, maybe is something you would explore as an option.
I´m spanish so all your troubles with the healt insurance are a bit alien to me, here if there is a approved treatment for your illnes you don´t have to pay for it, in fact in the hospital i work there´s one pacient with the most expensive treatment in the world according to forbes, is nearly 450000 euros a year, is around 600000 $?

I set up one back in January, but it never amounted to much. I don't have the reach that the most successful people do. You basically need like a thousand followers, and then have some of those followers with a few thousand of their own. The most successful games journalist patreons are almost exclusively people who are already "in" games journalism. Known quantities.

Karak

Coworker recently lost their job after 17 years in a situation a lot like you. Insanely talented and amazingly motivated, newer boss took a disliking to her and it was game over. Talking to HR ended up severely hurting her in the end. It was incredible how shady it was. Hope that isn't the same everywhere god I hate some shit.

You know, I'd never thought of this. I think I will try to reach out. Thanks. This is the kind of suggestion I created this thread for. :D

I set up one back in January, but it never amounted to much. I don't have the reach that the most successful people do. You basically need like a thousand followers, and then have some of those followers with a few thousand of their own. The most successful games journalist patreons are almost exclusively people who are already "in" games journalism. Known quantities.
YA agreed. I have over 10,000 followers with some huge names and even had help creating it but right now it seems like Patreon needs some serious crowd already established to really get going.

DocSeuss

Coworker recently lost their job after 17 years in a situation a lot like you. Insanely talented and amazingly motivated, newer boss took a disliking to her and it was game over. Talking to HR ended up severely hurting her in the end. It was incredible how shady it was. Hope that isn't the same everywhere god I hate some shit.

YA agreed. I have over 10,000 followers with some huge names and even had help creating it but right now it seems like Patreon needs some serious crowd already established to really get going.

It sure seems like it is. I mean, remember "it's not what you do, it's who you know." Sometimes, even if you're there already... you're boned. What frustrates me the most is I've never really had a chance at anything. Learning to fly? Cool, health is gonna screw me. Go to game design school? Neat, some crazy gender politics are going to result in most of the staff quitting or being fired and the department has to get rebuilt.

Someone once told me that Patreon "is an extension of your Twitter followers." I'm inclined to agree with that assessment. They encouraged me to set up a gofundme or something. I like the Patreon idea better from the "I'm actually doing something to deserve this," but... it doesn't really WORK, y'know? I should go pester financial aid to see what's the hold up for me.

asvpxjad

Banned
I kind of know what you're going through in a way. My dad works 65+ hours a week without pay for OT and comes homes miserable everyday because of the stress and pressure put on by his manager. He can't take her to HR because he's scared it's her word against his. Keep looking for another job and tough it out until something comes up. It may seem like all doors are closing, but one is bound to open.

I really hope you can get your life back on track and you find hapiness.

Might be easier said than done, but here are my suggestions:

Confront your boss and ask/address WTF is up with her behavior towards you. Of course you don't have to use an accusatory or attack-ish tone at all. Just something more like "based on your actions like x, y, and z, I feel like there's an overall issue or expectation that I seem to not be hitting. How can I fix this and be a better employee?" etc, etc...

Also, (this one is probably super lofty and might seem too romantic for "real life") but have you thought about looking into and studying what flight using something alternative to avgas would be like? I don't know jack about aviation what so ever, and what I'm suggesting might not even exist, but you can maybe pioneer a small niche field of interest within the aviation community and maybe it can grow into something. Maybe it can be a closely-tied-to-flying, parallel passion of your's that might eventually lead you back to what you initially loved.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Psycho bosses are hard. I've encountered a few, both from above and from below.

One thing that helps is keeping notes. Really detailed, ruthlessly objective notes about what happened and what was said by whom to whom. Like a diary but *without* the emotion.

That gives you two things: evidence (for if it all comes to blows/escalation/arbitration) and leverage - the leverage comes after you've got about a month's worth of this thing and you can whip it out during a meeting to take notes live/refer back to what was said before. Quite often this puts the manager on the back foot (once I've known it cause the boss to quit) since it restricts their ability to lie about stuff.

Good luck.

dionysus

Yaldog
One simple thing I would do is request your medical records from the doctor who was able to help you. Also see if you can find out how he coded it for insurance. If you got a name for your problems it would help in overcoming the skepticism you encounter.

DocSeuss

Might be easier said than done, but here are my suggestions:

Confront your boss and ask/address WTF is up with her behavior towards you. Of course you don't have to use an accusatory or attack-ish tone at all. Just something more like "based on your actions like x, y, and z, I feel like there's an overall issue or expectation that I seem to not be hitting. How can I fix this and be a better employee?" etc, etc...

I've asked her similar things in the past. She's been all "what? No, there's no problem, you know me, I'm the most straightforward person there is! If I had a problem, I'd tell you."

This coming from the person who once thought it'd be a great idea to trojan horse a meeting with a bunch of seemingly-unconnected people in order to get something she wanted...

Also, (this one is probably super lofty and might seem too romantic for "real life") but have you thought about looking into and studying what flight using something alternative to avgas would be like? I don't know jack about aviation what so ever, and what I'm suggesting might not even exist, but you can maybe pioneer a small niche field of interest within the aviation community and maybe it can grow into something. Maybe it can be a closely-tied-to-flying, parallel passion of your's that might eventually lead you back to what you initially loved.

Not doable, believe me. I've looked into it.

Psycho bosses are hard. I've encountered a few, both from above and from below.

One thing that helps is keeping notes. Really detailed, ruthlessly objective notes about what happened and what was said by whom to whom. Like a diary but *without* the emotion.

That gives you two things: evidence (for if it all comes to blows/escalation/arbitration) and leverage - the leverage comes after you've got about a month's worth of this thing and you can whip it out during a meeting to take notes live/refer back to what was said before. Quite often this puts the manager on the back foot (once I've known it cause the boss to quit) since it restricts their ability to lie about stuff.

Good luck.

I've detailed it pretty in-depth privately, assuming I would be able to go to HR, but they've basically just been unresponsive.

One simple thing I would do is request your medical records from the doctor who was able to help you. Also see if you can find out how he coded it for insurance. If you got a name for your problems it would help in overcoming the skepticism you encounter.

Don't have a name, and yes, I tried to get a hold of her two weeks ago. Nothing. Gonna try again. Parents said they'd scrape together enough money for an appointment--but it's scheduled for August.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Isn't there a thread on Gaf on how to make money by writing articles, taking surveys online?
You come across as a very competent writer.

Jay Sosa

I haven't seen a doctor in years. I'm in enormous amounts of pain. Some days, it even hurts to get out of bed. I force myself through waves of pain and nausea so I can pretend to be remotely normal. I'm getting training here that should eventually net me a job, which I can use to pay for medical treatment, get better, and survive. All I want to do right now is survive, but lately, I wake up every day wanting to know just why it is I'm still alive, because I certainly don't feel like living.

Not trying to derail but when I read this and then see the flac Obama gets for his medical care plan I can only shake my head in disbelief.

I have the strong urge to throw money in some donation fund for you.

I know, more often than not it makes the recipient feel guilty, and it doesn't really solve much in the long run, but I just don't know how else to help even though I have an overwhelming desire to do so.

I hope that, at the very least, making the thread and letting you vent has helped you. If it makes you feel any better, I read every word that you wrote.

SummitAve

Banned
You need to get a diagnosis that can at least somewhat accurately describe what your body and mind are suffering from. Something you can point to that's official rather than just saying it doesn't have a name and you're in lots of pain because that's where a lot of the laziness comments probably stem from. Keep going to different doctors until you can figure out what's wrong with you so you can effectively communicate it, and get others to understand.

Talk with your boss more. Specifically about your employment concerns.

Maybe try getting involved with medical studies for those with chronic pain and such. University hospitals tend to have a lot of these.

DocSeuss

Isn't there a thread on Gaf on how to make money by writing articles, taking surveys online?

I'm in this weird place between "paid writer" and "talented amateur." All my teachers have encouraged me to write--heck, one pulled me out of a lab, and, for twenty minutes, talked to me about my future and what I needed to do with my life. Buttttt... I need some way to make it regular work, not the occasional freelance piece.

Writing for those sites that offer like $5/article or taking surveys is next to useless. It's a massive time sink for very little pay. There's no way to make it regular. It's just more stuff to do that is better spent resting.

Not trying to derail but when I read this and then see the flac Obama gets for his medical care plan I can only shake my head in disbelief.

The average doctor wouldn't be able to help me. If I lived in Canada or whatever, it's unlikely I'd receive any help at all. The only doctor who has managed to help me is one doing some experimental stuff. One thing--the treatment that actually got my thyroid back up and running--was argued against vehemently by a more traditional doctor, who wanted to put me on a thyroid hormone replacement that I'd have to be on for life (which, uh... would mean I'd be dead now, since I can't afford that). I took the alternative, and the result was called--by the normal doctor--a "miracle." She denied that the other therapy had helped, even though, quite clearly, my thyroid no longer needed the kind of treatment she was pushing.

I have the strong urge to throw money in some donation fund for you.

I know, more often than not it makes the recipient feel guilty, and it doesn't really solve much in the long run, but I just don't know how else to help even though I have an overwhelming desire to do so.

I hope that, at the very least, making the thread and letting you vent has helped you. If it makes you feel any better, I read every word that you wrote.

Flat-out honesty: it would help the crap out of me. Before I got on food stamps, someone bought me about two weeks' worth of groceries; I wasn't able to eat, as I'd burned my money on fixing my car, which I desperately needed to do. I felt really bad about it. Looking back on it, though... it seriously saved me. I needed it desperately. So I'm glad it happened. I dunno. If the friend who volunteered to help me set up a youcaring or gofundme or whatever is able to help, I guess I'll have something?

Been in touch with Financial Aid. I may be able to get some money from them, but it'll be a loan, and I have no idea what my boss is gonna do to me over Summer/Fall. Ugh. Living should not be this hard.

You need to get a diagnosis that can at least somewhat accurately describe what your body and mind are suffering from. Something you can point to that's official rather than just saying it doesn't have a name and you're in lots of pain because that's where a lot of the laziness comments probably stem from. Keep going to different doctors until you can figure out what's wrong with you so you can effectively communicate it, and get others to understand.

Maybe try getting involved with medical studies for those with chronic pain and such. University hospitals tend to have a lot of these.

I know, I know, a name would be great. But I don't have one. :\

I've talked with her more. Each time I do, it gets worse. It's clear she just does not want to talk about this stuff. Even something as simple as "hey, the food stamp guys require I work X number of hours a week" results in her reducing my hours. She just does not listen.

Unfortunately, my university hospital is about an hour drive from here.

DocSeuss

Have you considered trying to find employment somewhere else while you still have this job?

Pick an answer:

Pleasant: Yes

Sarcastic: Have you considered trying to read the thread?

my initial response was mad, then I thought it'd make for a funny post, so I hope you chuckle a bit

CrankyJay

Banned
Pick an answer:

Pleasant: Yes

Sarcastic: Have you considered trying to read the thread?

my initial response was mad, then I thought it'd make for a funny post, so I hope you chuckle a bit

I read most of the thread...you don't have any time in between classes and work to find a new job? Does the pain inhibit you?

Karak

It sure seems like it is. I mean, remember "it's not what you do, it's who you know." Sometimes, even if you're there already... you're boned. What frustrates me the most is I've never really had a chance at anything. Learning to fly? Cool, health is gonna screw me. Go to game design school? Neat, some crazy gender politics are going to result in most of the staff quitting or being fired and the department has to get rebuilt.

Someone once told me that Patreon "is an extension of your Twitter followers." I'm inclined to agree with that assessment. They encouraged me to set up a gofundme or something. I like the Patreon idea better from the "I'm actually doing something to deserve this," but... it doesn't really WORK, y'know? I should go pester financial aid to see what's the hold up for me.

At different times for different people life can be a stone cold bitch. I know a good deal of people who were crushed halfway through their career training due to issues like yours. In fact 2 were health issues. Also one of my friends was not physically able to fly either(wanted Navy Aviation). Sometimes it requires a very unique thought process to identify what you wanted out of that old career and what skills you can offer to a similair or interesting offshoot.

For example he got his civilian pilots license and later got what he needed to train others he now literally advertises TO people who find out they can't fly for various reasons. Each year get gets a good number of people who end up applying to learn from him. He now owns a business that pilots people to various areas in Alaska and the pacific northwest and has like 12 planes, gets to fly, makes a good deal of money, and is still involved in aviation.

Also if you PM me your info I could also have another of the pilots contact you, or you could contact him. He actually DID get through Navy Aviation but he is leaving and setting up civilian jobs and contacts. One of the nicest guys in the world and I am sure he could at least give you some ideas to get back on track and into something similar. Even if it is nothing than brainstorming for the future.

Humans need fucking hope man. That is what makes us wake up and grab for shit day after day. It is time to utilize some others to help you.

that´s sad but i guess is difficult to stick your head above the water when there are bigger fishes out there, really hope you can find a way out of this mess

PirateKing

So did you make this thread expecting donations? seems its happening alot here now
Don't be a dick about it.
Yep this. OP, try to go freelancer for now. Your writing skills is good, and I think you might be able to get somewhere. You can get better as you write more and perhaps land a pro job somewhere you'll feel good about it. Good luck OP.

andycapps

This. While I feel horrible for the OP, if you can't tell your employer what's going on with a medical definition of what it is, they're probably going to think you're just lazy and trying to scam them on some FMLA benefits or get out of work. Particularly when you tell them that you can't do certain things because of pain, but you can't say what disease or syndrome the pain is because of, they're just seeing excuses. I'm not saying you're not feeling pain, I'm just saying they can't feel your pain so if you can't tell them what's wrong, they have probably dealt with people in the past who called off sick for no reason, or said they had a headache so they didn't have to come into work.

I really do hope things improve for you, but it seems worthwhile to me to see if you can get into a free clinic before your August appointment at a doctor so you can get some documentation from a doctor on what your symptoms are and potentially some medication to relieve/treat the pain. You need that documentation for your employer, HR potentially, and for disability.

DocSeuss

At different times for different people life can be a stone cold bitch. I know a good deal of people who were crushed halfway through their career training due to issues like yours. In fact 2 were health issues. Also one of my friends was not physically able to fly either(wanted Navy Aviation). Sometimes it requires a very unique thought process to identify what you wanted out of that old career and what skills you can offer to a similair or interesting offshoot.

For example he got his civilian pilots license and later got what he needed to train others he now literally advertises TO people who find out they can't fly for various reasons. Each year get gets a good number of people who end up applying to learn from him. He now owns a business that pilots people to various areas in Alaska and the pacific northwest and has like 12 planes, gets to fly, makes a good deal of money, and is still involved in aviation.

Also if you PM me your info I could also have another of the pilots contact you, or you could contact him. He actually DID get through Navy Aviation but he is leaving and setting up civilian jobs and contacts. One of the nicest guys in the world and I am sure he could at least give you some ideas to get back on track and into something similar. Even if it is nothing than brainstorming for the future.

Humans need fucking hope man. That is what makes us wake up and grab for shit day after day. It is time to utilize some others to help you.

I'll get a hold of you. Biggest problem for me right now is that I'm working on three group projects, six overall. My schedule is nightmarish right now, and none of my teachers seem willing to compromise. "In real life, you'll have deadlines," they say, as if, in real-life, I'd be working the equivalent of five different jobs, with no time, not even weekends, to myself.

Don't be a dick about it.

Yep this. OP, try to go freelancer for now. Your writing skills is good, and I think you might be able to get somewhere. You can get better as you write more and perhaps land a pro job somewhere you'll feel good about it. Good luck OP.

I'm looking into freelancing, but at the pay rates people are quoting me, I'd have to turn in quite a few pieces to live on, and nobody seems to be guaranteeing that rate of posting. It's not really steady work. I'm already in a "tread water to survive" situation--freelancing would mean doing that even more, which isn't presently sustainable.

A big problem is access. People like it when you interview devs and stuff way more than opinion pieces. Problem is, living in Kansas, as I do, this is an odd challenge. I've reached out to a few people, but only heard back from one so far.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want to do it. I turned in an article for consideration on Monday, and I'm working on three more pitches right now (between my six school projects, yay -__-). I just feel like, to be successful at this, I'd need to be living in New York or LA/SF, where most of these people are based, and I'd have to actually know someone. Regardless of the quality of my work, it really seems like knowing people and having access to devs is a big deal.

This. While I feel horrible for the OP, if you can't tell your employer what's going on with a medical definition of what it is, they're probably going to think you're just lazy and trying to scam them on some FMLA benefits or get out of work. Particularly when you tell them that you can't do certain things because of pain, but you can't say what disease or syndrome the pain is because of, they're just seeing excuses. I'm not saying you're not feeling pain, I'm just saying they can't feel your pain so if you can't tell them what's wrong, they have probably dealt with people in the past who called off sick for no reason, or said they had a headache so they didn't have to come into work.

I really do hope things improve for you, but it seems worthwhile to me to see if you can get into a free clinic before your August appointment at a doctor so you can get some documentation from a doctor on what your symptoms are and potentially some medication to relieve/treat the pain. You need that documentation for your employer, HR potentially, and for disability.

Thing is, I show up to work on time, every time. I've never missed a day. I asked, once, to go home an hour early. Anything I've been assigned gets done in a timely manner, and rarely requires any kind of feedback. My illness has been brought up twice--once when talking about food stamps, and another time when I was told that I needed to appear happier, and I explained that things were pretty bad at the time. The only other sort of confrontation we had was when she assigned me fewer hours than the food stamp guys allowed, and I informed her of this twice. There was that one time she got after me for not working on a project, and I reminded her that I had sent it to her for review, and she had not responded in weeks, to which she replied "oh yeah, you're right, I forgot." I mean, maybe that embarrassed her? I dunno.

Beyond that, as far as I can tell, it's been smooth sailing. My illness affects my appearance, not the quality of my work. This is a job I can do. I am getting everything done, and have repeatedly asked to be given more tasks. It's not like I'm sitting on my butt not doing anything, though, for some reason, she has asked multiple coworkers if I'm doing any work, despite the whole "please give me more stuff to do" and positive response from the teachers I support.

Yes, I need to talk to a doctor, but regular doctors weren't able to pinpoint my issues. I got the regular "hey, a virus is going around, maybe you got it," or "let's do some blood tests--hey, it's not mono, so, idunno, you're good to go." It took a specialist to find something. I'm going to try to reach out to her again for my medical files.

Chorazin

If you quality for SNAP, you should have no problems obtaining Medicaid if you have a verified medical condition.

Put in that application, see a damn doctor, feel better. Then deal with getting a new job situation.

DocSeuss

If you quality for SNAP, you should have no problems obtaining Medicaid if you have a verified medical condition.

Put in that application, see a damn doctor, feel better. Then deal with getting a new job situation.

It doesn't really matter whether I qualify for medicaid or not, because the only doctor who's ever helped me runs a specialized department at a research hospital. They do not take insurance, which, last I knew, included medicaid. I can check again.

dubq

I don't even know where to begin. I shouldn't even be here.

dante1.gif

Sorry, I had to.. :)

Icefire1424

Speaking on the "it's not what you know, it's who you know" comment (and this will be directed to anyone other than OP), couldn't help to take note of the "Jayhawk" in there - any professionals in/around Kansas have a possible job lead we might be able to forward along to our GAF brother here? During my tenure in GAF I've seen time and again the community band together to help those in need - man sounds like he's more than willing to work, willing to bet someone out there reading this might have an opportunity, or at the very least a contact to reach out to for potential placement.

What say you GAF?

(Apologies if this seems forward to both OP and the GAF community in general, but hey, thought it couldn't hurt to ask).

DocSeuss

Speaking on the "it's not what you know, it's who you know" comment (and this will be directed to anyone other than OP), couldn't help to take note of the "Jayhawk" in there - any professionals in/around Kansas have a possible job lead we might be able to forward along to our GAF brother here? During my tenure in GAF I've seen time and again the community band together to help those in need - man sounds like he's more than willing to work, willing to bet someone out there reading this might have an opportunity, or at the very least a contact to reach out to for potential placement.

What say you GAF?

(Apologies if this seems forward to both OP and the GAF community in general, but hey, thought it couldn't hurt to ask).

Hey, no worries. This thread is a cry for help. Job recommendations, advice, heck, even comments like "I'd hug you" are helping me survive emotionally right now.

Right now, I'm freaking out. Summer financial aid was supposed to hit today, but I've got nothing from them, and I was so busy with homework I was unable to check in.

Acccent

Hey everyone. After reading this thread and earlier posts, I reached out to DocSeuss and set up a fundraiser page to help him out (which other people suggested as well), since I know that asking for help is never easy.
Of course, I made sure that he was okay with it before publishing the page.

Here it is, if you wanna have a look:
http://youcaring.com/docneedsourhelp

Thanks to everyone who pitches in or spreads the word.

bjb

Banned
Hey everyone. After reading this thread and earlier posts, I reached out to DocSeuss and set up a fundraiser page to help him out (which other people suggested as well), since I know that asking for help is never easy.
Of course, I made sure that he was okay with it before publishing the page.

Here it is, if you wanna have a look:
http://youcaring.com/docneedsourhelp

Thanks to everyone who pitches in or spreads the word.

Just curious, what exactly does he need donations for? He has a steady job and should qualify for medicaid.

Granted I feel bad for the dude. However, the whole diagnosis thing is really bizarre, and on some level explains the frustration for his supervisor.

Gurthang

Banned
Chronic pains are ducking nightmarish. I have ulcerative colitis and tinnitus. Stomach pain + nausea and constant headaches and ringing in my ears. You have a degree. You should do your best to find a use for it. I don't even have that. Recently my doctor said I should start remicade since my meds don't seem to be working anymore. But it is 40000 per year. I can't even pay 20 percent of that.

I hesitate to give any advice cause I have zero experience in this sort of situation, but aren't there any sort of medication or drug trials that you could participate in that would help with this illness? Or would you have to pay money for experimental drugs?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When life hands you shit, you make shit juice. You have to look at it thru another perspective. The thing is, regardless of how bad life is. You will live after all this goes to hell or if it doesn't. You decide what's healthier and the best for people around you. Bosses need to do that type of stuff because they're paid to run their staff. They see it as if you're not putting in that extra 10% you're losing the company 20% gains.

Again, it sounds like things are making you feel terrible. Try and find something that's going to work for you and tell yourself, "hey, I'm going to live thru this regardless what the outcome is". Life is like a journey, but you choose your own path.

Don't do the experimental shit. There's drugs with bad side effects or worse. Talk to a facility around the area about receiving benefits and see if you qualify.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Doesn't help when people ask your current boss if you're any good, and take her word as gospel when she's got a personal dislike for you.

If this was an attempt at finding a new job or an application or something and durring this process she said something disparaging about your character/work ethic/attendance ANYTHING besides "Yes he was employed here. He started on this date and ended on this date"... and you are in the US...

well you got grounds to sue there buddy.

Since you already have some knowledge on pilotting, maybe you can do something related to the field? You can't fly (and I do hope you get a chance to get checked up on the chronic pain) but you could probably put some of that knowledge to good use.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Doc, I know you can go through this, you're one of my favorite people here. You are an awesome person, I can see this. I wish I could tell you what to do to make it better. But I know you can make it through this.

I'm going to go against my better judgement (and the wise advise of RevDM) of not suggesting medical diagnosis, and I will infer that with your thyroid problem (which I will also suppose that was hypothyroidism), and muscle and joint pain, that you have fibromyalgia. I won't say anymore, but considering the doctors you went to didn't really know what you have, I think you deserve to at least suspect this and suggest it to your doctors. Remember to always mention your previous thyroid problem to the doctor and your pains, also how you are feeling. If the physician is a good one, he will know for sure what you have, and can look into options.

I truly wish you the best, Doc. Tell us what else we can do for you.

If this was an attempt at finding a new job or an application or something and durring this process she said something disparaging about your character/work ethic/attendance ANYTHING besides "Yes he was employed here. He started on this date and ended on this date"... and you are in the US...

I don't think he can pay the lawyer.

Ghazi

If I'm remembering correctly, and you're the right person, me and you talked a while ago on Kotaku! I wish you the best of luck, your boss sounds horrible :(

DocSeuss

Where do you live Doc? If you're in the Bay Area, I could probably get you a job pretty easily.

Unfortunately, I live in Lawrence, KS.

Just curious, what exactly does he need donations for? He has a steady job and should qualify for medicaid.

Granted I feel bad for the dude. However, the whole diagnosis thing is really bizarre, and on some level explains the frustration for his supervisor.

I have a job with a boss who's actively worked to reduce my hours and is attempting to get me to quit my position. I was managing before spring break, after that, she moved me to a lab that's not as frequently-used, and often has cancellations from teachers, meaning I don't get paid as much. Next Friday, I'm losing about $35, because all classes that use that lab are canceled.

For the entire month of May, I won't be working at all. She says she's going to give me summer hours, but she went from "you'll have more than you did during the spring semester" to "don't get your hopes up."

Chronic pains are ducking nightmarish. I have ulcerative colitis and tinnitus. Stomach pain + nausea and constant headaches and ringing in my ears. You have a degree. You should do your best to find a use for it. I don't even have that. Recently my doctor said I should start remicade since my meds don't seem to be working anymore. But it is 40000 per year. I can't even pay 20 percent of that.

Exactly. It's not like medicaid's going to spend the kind of money I needed. If I got an IV every day, that's something like $35k. Medicaid won't cover things. Man, tinnitus is the worst, though. I have it, but it stopped seeming like a big deal after a while.

I don't have a use for my degree. Unfortunately, we went through a departmental collapse. I'm talking about teachers simply not showing up to classes at times, most of them eventually firing or quitting. I have the degree, and sure, I know quite a bit about design, but I don't have any practical skills.

I hesitate to give any advice cause I have zero experience in this sort of situation, but aren't there any sort of medication or drug trials that you could participate in that would help with this illness? Or would you have to pay money for experimental drugs?

The stuff that would help me is actually pretty basic nutritional supplements for the most part. It's just that, in some cases, I have to get them through an IV. And then there's stuff like massage therapy

When life hands you shit, you make shit juice. You have to look at it thru another perspective. The thing is, regardless of how bad life is. You will live after all this goes to hell or if it doesn't. You decide what's healthier and the best for people around you. Bosses need to do that type of stuff because they're paid to run their staff. They see it as if you're not putting in that extra 10% you're losing the company 20% gains.

And the thing is, I'm one of the best workers she has. The teachers love me. I'm always getting work done quick and turning it in without needing correction. Seriously, no one knows why she has a beef with me, and a few have been amazingly kind enough to go out of their way to praise me to her, ask if there's any more work I can do, etc. I'm the only student worker who shows up to all the meetings. I volunteer to take notes. I honestly do not know what else I can do.

Again, it sounds like things are making you feel terrible. Try and find something that's going to work for you and tell yourself, "hey, I'm going to live thru this regardless what the outcome is". Life is like a journey, but you choose your own path.

More or less. Which is why I'm here, asking for advice. And, honestly, Accent's fundraiser would help me out. I honestly have no idea how I'm going to pay bills in May, for absolute certain, and my summer's looking... not encouraging at best.

Don't do the experimental shit. There's drugs with bad side effects or worse. Talk to a facility around the area about receiving benefits and see if you qualify.

Already looking into benefits. Trying to get a hold of my old doctor to get my medical records and stuff in order.

I have no idea what she is or isn't saying to people, but I know HR people talk, according to HR people I've known. Is it illegal? I dunno. But they do.

Since you already have some knowledge on pilotting, maybe you can do something related to the field? You can't fly (and I do hope you get a chance to get checked up on the chronic pain) but you could probably put some of that knowledge to good use.

It's been years. I stopped in 2008. Would have a lot to catch up on, which would take time... and I'm basically working 24/7 on school and my job. Over the summer, I'll only have one class, but I intend to use that for another personal project that might help me increase my income.

Doc, I know you can go through this, you're one of my favorite people here. You are an awesome person, I can see this. I wish I could tell you what to do to make it better. But I know you can make it through this.

Thanks. I know, it's just six letters, but I really do mean it. Sometimes, I get the impression I'm not that well-liked. My lengthy threads get nice response, but heck, my thread from Thursday ended up being, what, a single page long? Kinda a bummer. So hearing that people value me in some way is encouraging.

I'm going to go against my better judgement (and the wise advise of RevDM) of not suggesting medical diagnosis, and I will infer that with your thyroid problem (which I will also suppose that was hypothyroidism), and muscle and joint pain, that you have fibromyalgia. I won't say anymore, but considering the doctors you went to didn't really know what you have, I think you deserve to at least suspect this and suggest it to your doctors. Remember to always mention your previous thyroid problem to the doctor and your pains, also how you are feeling. If the physician is a good one, he will know for sure what you have, and can look into options.

I truly wish you the best, Doc. Tell us what else we can do for you.

I've reached out to my doctor. I'll keep the fibromyalgia reference in mind, since many of you have mentioned it.

Honestly, I don't know what exactly is going to help. Obviously, no one can fix my health situation, though I could manage it if I didn't have to work, and didn't have outside stressors. Obviously, the biggest stress-factor is work itself. But... I dunno. My life just seems really crazy-bad. Like, today? I got a phone call from my family saying they'd been evacuated from our neighborhood after a domestic disturbance led to gunfire. I also found out that a friend may have brain cancer. And I just keep on getting this kind of thing day in and day out. It's exhausting.

So... moral support's definitely helpful. Not having to stress about rent for the summer would be nice. Any advice that improves my situation's always good. Sometimes, I think I just need to talk.

If I'm remembering correctly, and you're the right person, me and you talked a while ago on Kotaku! I wish you the best of luck, your boss sounds horrible :(

Thanks. That was almost definitely me or that guy who spent a bit of time impersonating me and doing it terribly.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I knew I had seen you somewhere else that was not GAF. You are also a Kotaku member! Loved your posts there too.

On your boss, I personally think it might be jealousy. Yes, it might sound simplistic, but she might see you as the person she wanted to be but never got to that point where you are for some reason and thus doesn't want you to move forward. Heck, she might not even think it's that, but it's there, or might be.

And remember, there's a thread for Depression here on GAF, if it helps you.

DocSeuss

Thanks. I'd forgotten about the Depression thread.

I don't really think it's jealousy. She seems to look down on me.

I appreciate people who've helped so far. It's almost a month's rent. I'm amazed and humbled.

Armchair psychology but you probably remind her of someone who wronged her in the past but she never got to see any justice from it so she takes it out on you.

Keep trucking and looking for a different/better job. If you're good at teaching, maybe consider going into education. Many school districts are begging for male teachers and even ones that aren't might be totally ok with paying your tuition to get a degree in education.

Keep on keeping on sounds generic but that's probably the best you can do. You could confront her calmly. There's a 50/50 shot of that going well or horrible, although even if horrible it probably will just end result as about as bad as things are, but maybe you'll feel better about it.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having. What state are you in? You may want to find a legal aid clinic that can help you with the disability stuff. They basically deny you automatically multiple times until you appeal enough that they let you in. Some free legal aid helped a friend of mine get it. They also pay you retroactively to the time you originally applied (at least they did for her), so you should apply sooner than later. It could take a long time to get on.

There's also cash assistance. Here in California that is possible. You're already on food stamps, but here I don't think you can be on food stamps and disability at the same time. It's all a little complex, but take care of it a little at a time. As far as medical goes, if you are making less than a little over the poverty line, you may be eligible. I'm on Medi-cal, for Pete's sake. It can't hurt to try. There are options, you just have to find them

About money, you could try this thread here on Gaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506674
It's all about working from home to supplement income. I write for Textbroker. If you can do simple programming stuff or writing there is work on eLance, Odesk and iWriter as well. Then there's Leapforce and Lionsbridge for working from home. Pretty much all of them give you the ability to make at least $10 an hour, if not double that.

Edit: I see another post where you say you're in Lawrence, KS (home of the Supernatural boys, awesome). I don't know what the deal is there, but I'm sure they have something for you!

DocSeuss

Doctor's office called me, said I could have an appointment THIS WEEK instead of August. Can't afford to miss work... no medical care for me. This is the kind of situation I'm in, which is why I let Accent do this.

Armchair psychology but you probably remind her of someone who wronged her in the past but she never got to see any justice from it so she takes it out on you.

Maybe. That was definitely the case in a previous job, and that boss got over it after her divorce.

Keep trucking and looking for a different/better job. If you're good at teaching, maybe consider going into education. Many school districts are begging for male teachers and even ones that aren't might be totally ok with paying your tuition to get a degree in education.

Keep on keeping on sounds generic but that's probably the best you can do. You could confront her calmly. There's a 50/50 shot of that going well or horrible, although even if horrible it probably will just end result as about as bad as things are, but maybe you'll feel better about it.

Yeah. I know. I wrote her an email saying "hey, I didn't feel I was given any responsibilities this semester, which meant I was unable to demonstrate myself as a capable employee. If you are able to give me any more projects, especially solo, I'd love to work on them."

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having. What state are you in? You may want to find a legal aid clinic that can help you with the disability stuff. They basically deny you automatically multiple times until you appeal enough that they let you in. Some free legal aid helped a friend of mine get it. They also pay you retroactively to the time you originally applied (at least they did for her), so you should apply sooner than later. It could take a long time to get on.

I'm in Kansas. I'll look around for legal stuff, but it's gonna take free aid. I'm going to be talking to them on May 16. See, this is why I'm bummed I couldn't go to a doctor's appointment this week. I can't afford it. The appointment itself is a couple hundred bucks, and I'd be missing out on about $50 worth of pay to go. Ugh.

There's also cash assistance. Here in California that is possible. You're already on food stamps, but here I don't think you can be on food stamps and disability at the same time. It's all a little complex, but take care of it a little at a time. As far as medical goes, if you are making less than a little over the poverty line, you may be eligible. I'm on Medi-cal, for Pete's sake. It can't hurt to try. There are options, you just have to find them

...I'm not even making over the poverty line. Seriously. I'm at about HALF the poverty line. But yeah, I did food stamps last fall, and I'm going to have a meeting with the disability folks on the sixteenth to see what I need to do.

About money, you could try this thread here on Gaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506674
It's all about working from home to supplement income. I write for Textbroker. If you can do simple programming stuff or writing there is work on eLance, Odesk and iWriter as well. Then there's Leapforce and Lionsbridge for working from home. Pretty much all of them give you the ability to make at least $10 an hour, if not double that.

Edit: I see another post where you say you're in Lawrence, KS (home of the Supernatural boys, awesome). I don't know what the deal is there, but I'm sure they have something for you!

Cool, I'll check those out. I've checked a few before--stuff like Mturk and the like--but it's not steady enough (and doesn't pay well enough) to matter. I did Mturk when I didn't have a job at all, and was living in a family member's house. I don't have that option now. Still, other things might be doable.

Biggest problem with Lawrence is that there's huge competition from other students. When you have ~35,000 people who don't have great-paying jobs (admittedly, lots of our students are rich and don't work at all) all competing in a town that's like twice that size... it's hard.

DocSeuss

Well, in the good news department, I did just get one article freelanced on a major gaming website. Almost 30,000 hits, 300 extremely positive comments, and 25 recommends on it. Was about FPSes. Pretty happy with that.

At the same time, I just turned down a doctor's appointment (wait list opened up) because I couldn't afford to miss my busiest day at work. Even if I did, I haven't saved up enough for an appointment.

When it's good, it's bad too. My karma balance is ridiculously negative... Ugh.

Still looking for solutions. Talking to a dean about financial aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom