• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Kajiba

Played for like two hours early on today than I stop to play little bit more tonight. Story is starting to pick up right now and holy shit at that creepy lady at the bathroom who gives you the key early on.

As of now the game isnt really that scary...but I can be wrong later on.

Yeah it does. And it's not very difficult either.

Ah okay. Thats good I guess.

Frankfurt

Banned
It's not particulary scary, no. I can only see a person being spooked in any way if they use 5.1 headphones or something like that.

Normal is waaaay to breezy. Nightmare is a lot better - the game changes considerably when you can't simply shoot your way out of danger. On Nightmare you actually need to manage your dodges and running due to stamina, plus time you reloads, so it does get tense at times. Hard on your 1st playthrough should be enough, though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alan Wake uses a dynamic difficulty system when playing on normal. If you're good at the game you can actually make it harder then hard.

Kajiba

I just finish episode two right now. Story getting pretty good. Like how alan talks to you when you're playing the game. Stuff you touch or read.

Also those tv show on the tele are great.

It's been well over a year since I played this game, but I still remember the experience very clearly.

First couple of hours: Wow, this is awesome! The story telling is so good. I can tell this is going to be a mindblowing story, can't wait to see how it plays out!

Rest of the game: Uh.. okay? this story makes absolutely no sense. Maybe it will all make sense with the ending?

Ending: .....

After playing both DLC's: wtfisthisshitpicard.jpg

Veelk

Banned
It's been well over a year since I played this game, but I still remember the experience very clearly.

First couple of hours: Wow, this is awesome! The story telling is so good. I can tell this is going to be a mindblowing story, can't wait to see how it plays out!

Rest of the game: Uh.. okay? this story makes absolutely no sense. Maybe it will all make sense with the ending?

Ending: .....

After playing both DLC's: wtfisthisshitpicard.jpg

What do you have trouble understanding?

Grisby

I am LTTP and just got Alan Wake today should I get any or all of the DLC before I start or pick it up later?
If you enjoy the retail story/game then by all means try out the DLC. There's some nice locale's and story beats. A lot of people think that the first entry is the weaker of the two but I enjoyed both.

Both DLC's take place after the full game.

Frankfurt

Banned
How's the extras in the limited edition? Like the book?

I want them...

The hardcover book is bit and pieces from the universe, like one short story written by Wake (best part by a country-mile), notes by the detective you'll encounter in the game, etc. If you expect anything more "whole", you'll be dissapointed. It's more like "AW from all angles".

The extra DVD is great - trailers from 2005, 2008, 2009, a documentary/series of interviews at Remedy, the commentary track for the main game and avatar stuff, etc. The soundtrack is ok, it's mostly the instrumental stuff, only one of the Old Gods songs, IIRC.

The production values of the limited edition is incredible, though. It opens like a hardcover, and inside it's the hardcover book, the case for the game looks like a DVD movie case, the second case is neat too... Great stuff.

I am LTTP and just got Alan Wake today should I get any or all of the DLC before I start or pick it up later?

You can leave the DLC for later. DLC 1 has one great cutscene, but gameplay-wise it's nothing to call home about. DLC 2 is awesome.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just finished it today and I loved it. I rarely beat a game as fast as I beat this one. The story got kinda weird from what I can understand towards the end, but it was still a great experience. I can't wait for the XBLA game. I really enjoyed the combat so I'm glad there will be a survival mode.

SRTtoZ

Going to start a final run to 100% the game I think...I am missing a few (non nightmare) manuscript pages, a few thermoses and a few random achievs. I need MOARRR Alan Wake!

pakkit

Banned
In anticipation of Alan Wake: American Nightmare I finally bothered to beat both of the DLC.

And hey, they were both amazing! I did miss the calmer moments of the campaign, but the ingenious level design more than made up for it. Also, it's the only game I can say made me physically nauseated since Descent
when the rooms are spinning
. Compounding that with the disorienting fog and I had to churn my way to the end. Still, this game is excellent. The story is light on its feet, changing just when the player thinks he might have finally figured out where things are headed.

So excited for American Nightmare.

Jtrizzy

PC version comes out on the 16th, there is a walkthrough on IGN. It's 15 min long, and has all settings maxed. Shit looks really good.

I just finished my replay of this, and loved it as much as the first time - great game, love the atmosphere and storytelling.

Although I should really finish my games in one go, I started it up around 3 weeks ago, and only picked it up again this weekend before finishing it tonight - which has left some parts of the plot foggy in my mind.

Sounds silly, but anyone know of a good video/summary which explores the plot in a simple but detailed manner? I have the gist of it obviously, but it wouldn't go amiss, especially regarding DLC which won't be purchased for a little while now (perhaps weekend or week after, I have no XBL at this house right now).

which brings me on to my next question - is the DLC worth it?

And would anyone recommend playing that prior to American Nightmare - which I have downloaded, ready to play.

Thrakier

Playing the PC version, I don't like it very much. I can't tell why though. GFX are awesome. It's just not horrifying...it's way to clean, I think. I don't like Alan Wake either and I think the way they are telling the story is kinda annoying. Maybe I'm just not into it.

Playing the PC version, I don't like it very much. I can't tell why though. GFX are awesome. It's just not horrifying...it's way to clean, I think. I don't like Alan Wake either and I think the way they are telling the story is kinda annoying. Maybe I'm just not into it.

It's not a horror game though, it's more of a thriller.

I don't think anybody likes Alan, he's a bit of an arsehole, lol. BARRY FOREVER.

derFeef

Alan Wake hit 2 million sales (pc + 360)

"We've moved over two million copies - that's including PC," he confirmed. "So after a slow start it's turning into something really positive. It's definitely had legs. I think narrative experiences just have a tendency for that.

"Alan Wake's like a cult classic if you like... People who have played and enjoyed the story feel the urge to tell their friends and other gamers out there that they need to try this experience, they need to play it."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/339789/alan-wake-sales-top-2-million-series-has-a-future/

Thrakier

It's not a horror game though, it's more of a thriller.

I don't think anybody likes Alan, he's a bit of an arsehole, lol. BARRY FOREVER.

God I'm really trying to finish the game but it's hard to do so. It's so...tedious. The story is abysmal and wake a horrible character. So much potential wasted. It's more of a forest running simulation.

jmdajr

So it took me like two years but I finally finished this game! It was pretty cool for sure overall.
Going to try the 2nd DLC now, as I have already finished the free one.

strafer

So I finally picked this up. The game is freaking awesome, the atmosphere is off the chain, I'm on the edge the entire time. The writing is superb. Pacing is great. Combat is fine.

If I'm gonna complain there would be on the facial animation and lip syncing, but other than that it's a fantastic game.

I'm on Episode 3 now. Can't wait for Alan Wake 2.

Peace out

rjc571

Banned
I got the PC version last night on GOG. Is it normal that I had to lower the resolution to 1440x900 to get it to run near 60 fps on my Radeon 6850? Lowering the other graphic settings didn't seem to help the framerate very much.

So....

rnh9iQk.jpg

My specs:

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
8.0GB DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

Is this for real or is it using the intel HD for graphics or what the hell is wrong with PC gaming...?

frontieruk

So....

My specs:

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
8.0GB DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

Is this for real or is it using the intel HD for graphics or what the hell is wrong with PC gaming...?

how'd it run?
seem to remember it doing that to me on first run too...
my Specs

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) (OC'd 4.4Ghz)
AMD 6970 GDDR5 2GB
16GB of some RAM I forget corsair or something

ran ok

I'm at episode 3 now and there's too much repition in these ''boss fights''. Getting really boring and not enough cutscenes where I can just sit and enjoy the story. I wasn't expecting the story too be so unrealistic. From all the praise it was getting I thought this would be a more ''serious'' story driven game. Though perhaps there is a twist at the end where everything becomes more believable... Kind of dissapointing story so far anyway, but perhaps I should have read more about it instead of going in no-spoiler.

Edit: Oops, I wasn't at episode 3, I was at episode 6... finished the main part of the game. That was a bit of an anticlimax. Very good game overall, with some really disappointing faults. Driving was lol-worthy.

Top Bottom