• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Frankfurt

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
This is my 4th replay and man I just always love the story and setting in this game. Though I don't remember ever seeing the skeletons on nightmare mode! WTF? Really?

The skeletons are just before the rock concert. In the cemetery. My first playthrough I didn't see them either. Only on my second, on Nightmare I went in that direction and boy did I run (after they killed me once).

The 2nd DLC is great gameplay-wise (the 1st one is ok), but plot-wise it doesn't add much. I would even argue it lessens the main game.

Speaking of nightmare and Alan Wake, i had a dream last night i was Alan Wake running in the forest and i ran out of batteries. I swear. Woke up in a cold sweat.

( And it's been months since I last played it.)

derFeef said:
Hey man, long time no see.
Are you saying you saw them on non-nightmare mode, or not at all? They are around the
barn with the huge harvester

Hey man, Yeah I've been around lurking. I'm working overseas in Afghanistan currently so things have been interesting, but I got an xbox and its all good! Yeah I never saw them on my nightmare run! That would have probably scared the crap out of me!

derFeef

Frankfurt said:
The skeletons are just before the rock concert. In the cemetery. My first playthrough I didn't see them either. Only on my second, on Nightmare I went in that direction and boy did I run (after they killed me once).

The 2nd DLC is great gameplay-wise (the 1st one is ok), but plot-wise it doesn't add much. I would even argue it lessens the main game.
Oh right... I might mix the area up. Man I need to replay it.

Bought this game today, played it for about an hour, think that is about all I need.

I love the setting, and story, but I absolutely hate the controls and camera. It's so clunky and awkward. :(

Frankfurt

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Bought this game today, played it for about an hour, think that is about all I need.

I love the setting, and story, but I absolutely hate the controls and camera. It's so clunky and awkward. :(

I never got the complaints about the controls. I never had an issue. It always dodges in the direction i want to go (which still surprises me to this day), and the idea of burning off the darkness before you pop them is great.

I'll take the controls of this over Dead Space and RE5 (to compare to other TPS-style horror titles) any day.

You want bad 3rd-persopn shooter controls? Try Wanted. Or Quantum Theory.

Never had any issues with the camera, either, and it's one of the things that bothers me the most in games - NG2 and Bayonetta, for example. Great games... cameras that get stuck on walls.

I can see people that complain about the lip-synching, the character modelling, that the writing doesn't make sense. Even the game being "sub-HD". But i´m on my 3rd play-through of AW (normal, then nightmare, now hard with commentary) and i have yet to see any control or camera issues. Wake's controls are snappy and do what i want 100% of the time.

Frankfurt said:
I never got the complaints about the controls. I never had an issue. It always dodges in the direction i want to go (which still surprises me to this day), and the idea of burning off the darkness before you pop them is great.

I'll take the controls of this over Dead Space and RE5 (to compare to other TPS-style horror titles) any day.

You want bad 3rd-persopn shooter controls? Try Wanted. Or Quantum Theory.

Never had any issues with the camera, either, and it's one of the things that bothers me the most in games - NG2 and Bayonetta, for example. Great games... cameras that get stuck on walls.

I can see people that complain about the lip-synching, the character modelling, that the writing doesn't make sense. Even the game being "sub-HD". But i´m on my 3rd play-through of AW (normal, then nightmare, now hard with commentary) and i have yet to see any control or camera issues. Wake's controls are snappy and do what i want 100% of the time.

I think I just hate third party action games then. I didn't care for RE 4/5 or Dead Space either. :(

x Maiku x

derFeef said:
On another note - Remedy just opened some job positions, good signs!
http://www.remedygames.com/jobs

Uhm...

That's only beneficial experience. And that programmer position is only for their "digital team" and "the target platforms include iOS & Android, PC and Consoles.". It also specifically mentions middleware and required experience in handheld(iOS, Android) development. Probably only for smaller XBLA/PSN/iOS games.

All of the other positions only say "AAA console project" and specifically mention the Alan Wake engine. Hopefully this one is for AW2.

Elginer

Where the hell is my Alan Wake 2 or that project they confirmed they were working on and were going to reveal soon? Come on Remedy!

Elginer said:
Where the hell is my Alan Wake 2 or that project they confirmed they were working on and were going to reveal soon? Come on Remedy!

Night Springs probably got shelved. Wake 2 is coming, Remedy is working on new facial tech for it, Edge did an mention of it earlier this year,

Hey You

Elginer said:
In their forums, they have been stating we should be getting some news this year. Probably the XBLA game.

Angry Fork

I'm waiting until some thanksgiving sales so I could get a 360 for 100$ =( Last year Amazon did that sale. I'd play some other games for 360 but this is the only game I really want so damn bad. I was waiting for years for it on PC and then that was taken away. Max Payne 1 and 2 are in my top 3 favorite games of all time I want to play this so bad for the atmosphere/story. I've heard the gameplay is disappointing or whatever but I really don't care about that I want to experience everything else Remedy is so great at. Hopefully a full sequel is made so I can get that as well I don't want some bs Kinect XBLA game.

bill0527

I bought one of those cards off Amazon that had the downloadable code for $5 last week. I just finished the first chapter last night.

I'm loving the atmosphere but the gameplay is boring as shit. Do you really spend the entire game painting your targets with light, firing 2 rounds into them, and then have a collect-o-thon picking up stuff hidden in the corners?

masterkajo

bill0527 said:
I bought one of those cards off Amazon that had the downloadable code for $5 last week. I just finished the first chapter last night.

I'm loving the atmosphere but the gameplay is boring as shit. Do you really spend the entire game painting your targets with light, firing 2 rounds into them, and then have a collect-o-thon picking up stuff hidden in the corners?
Unfortunately, the gameplay is boring and doesn't evolve much. The story, however, is quite good and was more that enough for me to play through it. I love the endings of the episodes - especially 2 and 4!

bill0527 said:

Pretty much. It's more about the atmosphere and story than the gameplay, not saying the gameplay isn't good (I loved it) but if you're finding it boring now, there's not much that will happen that's going to change your mind.

It does open up a little towards the middle (sandboxy sections, remnants from before it was turned into a linear title) and there are a few epic set-pieces, but the gameplay throughout is pretty much what you describe. Painting and capping taken.

Robot Pants

Not sure why they are doing that. It took them long enough to get Alan Wake 1 out.
They have everything in place, just keep the same great atmosphere and story, with the difficulty and new stuff you added with the episodes, and I'll buy it.

Robot Pants said:
Not sure why they are doing that. It took them long enough to get Alan Wake 1 out.
They have everything in place, just keep the same great atmosphere and story, with the difficulty and new stuff you added with the episodes, and I'll buy it.
I have no idea why it took so long. I'm at chapter 4 so far and it's forest, crazy dudes, forest, abandoned building in the forest, crazy dudes with one big dude, forest, posessed tractor, forest.

Liking it so far though.

Social

I finished this game when it came out on a 24 inch IPS and yesterday i decided to boot it up again when a friend was here. This time on my 60 inch plasma. Oh my god at those graphics! They STILL amaze me, especially those effects! The light effects... :-O

Going to replay it after I finish Uncharted 2.

charsace

Robot Pants said:
Most of the work was getting the engine done. I wouldn't be surprised if the next game is open world. That was what they were going to do with Alan Wake at one point.

ToyMachine228 said:
Does anyone know what happened to the rumored Alan Wake XBLA/Kinect spin-off?

Last I heard it wasn't being published by Microsoft(?!)

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/10/microsoft-studios-hasnt-signed-next-alan-wake-project-would-l/

So we tracked down Microsoft Studios chief Phil Spencer to grill him about Remedy's reveal and the dearth of Alan Wake games in Microsoft's E3 lineup. "I read that," Spencer said, laughing about the news. "I don't know that they've signed it with anybody." While Spencer told us that Wake "didn't sell as well as we would have liked," he was clear that it wouldn't affect their working relationship. "I'd love to work with Remedy again," he told us. "We have ongoing conversations with them."

So if Microsoft isn't privy to what Remedy's working on, who is? "I think the stuff they're doing now they wanted to incubate, Mattias and the team," Spencer said. "They wanted to incubate internally. Like I said, I don't think they've signed it with anybody."

MS can seriously fuck themselves for not supporting the series. AW, while a little rough, was an amazing game and it's a series the 360 desperately needs.

teraMEL0S

Alright, so this isn't anything definitive, but still "interesting." Oskari Hakkinen, the head of franchise development over at Remedy does a lot of Foursquare on his twitter account.

https://twitter.com/#!/oskari69/status/124531695058829312

I'm at Microsoft Studio C (3640 150th NE, Redmond) w/ 2 others http://4sq.com/nwmRBH

This tweets from Oct 13.

wwm0nkey

Speedymanic said:
MS can seriously fuck themselves for not supporting the series. AW, while a little rough, was an amazing game and it's a series the 360 desperately needs.
Agreed on this 100%

Probably one of my favorite games this generation and I really liked the Max Payne easter egg they put in there too lol

Slappers Only

wwm0nkey said:
Agreed on this 100%

Probably one of my favorite games this generation and I really liked the Max Payne easter egg they put in there too lol
It's my favorite new IP to come out of MS publication this gen. I would love to see it resurface.

leng jai

Speedymanic said:

Its a decent game, great in some respects, but really? In what way is this claim founded?

FrankT

teraMEL0S said:
Alright, so this isn't anything definitive, but still "interesting." Oskari Hakkinen, the head of franchise development over at Remedy does a lot of Foursquare on his twitter account.

https://twitter.com/#!/oskari69/status/124531695058829312

This tweets from Oct 13.

Oh man hope lives. I'm fine with it on the next box if so. Please support this IP MS and the studio. Not even sure if I would rather have it on 360 or not, but if they do go 720 or whatever I hope they can really shine either way.

derFeef

leng jai said:
Its a decent game, great in some respects, but really? In what way is this claim founded?
Product diversity. An exclusive IP like Alan Wake sticks out and there were even some gaffers claiming that they are not interested in a 360, but Alan Wake could push them over.

leng jai said:

If you look at how MS is positioning their lineup they're really trying to secure an original IP for each genre.

fps - halo
racing - forza
tps - gears of war
action adventure/rpg - fable
then kinect supports many of the fitness, and family friendly games. (kinectimals, viva pinata, kinect adventures and kinect sports etc)

alan wake could really work as their thriller/horror franchise.

Frankfurt said:

There's commentary in the game? Enough to do a third playthrough just to hear it?

derFeef

Roland Deschain said:
There's commentary in the game? Enough to do a third playthrough just to hear it?
It's fantastic. Little videos of the developers popping up during the gameplay explaining stuff, showing storybaord drawings and so on.

Guys, let me ask a stupid question about the code for the digital version of this game.

So, I bought a code for this game off eBay, and redeemed it with no problems, the game downloaded in like an hour (I was surprised), and it seems to be working perfectly.

But if I go the marketplace, it doesn't register me as having the digital copy. Is this normal? If I want to download this again, is the only way to do that the dl history?

bumpkin

leng jai said:
I don't know what he's talking about, but I'll say this; Alan Wake is what a next gen Silent Hill should have been. Instead, we got Homecoming. *gag*

Kajiba

My collectors edition that I brought a week ago for cheap came in yesterday. Just put in it right now and about to play for the first time. Love the menu intro and music to the game before you start to play.

Gonna play on hard and see how that goes. Does Nightmare unlock after you beat the game? I see can't pick it yet for some reason.

Top Bottom