• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My November Game Purchase OR My God, What Have I Done?

The transparent shelves are neat, but they're going to be a whole lot less transparent when they're full of opaque game boxes, so I'm not sure there was really a point.

JRPereira

Wow. You have the best looking video game store ever. If you don't make a profit I will personally whore myself out to fund your store.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Jon of the Wired said:
The transparent shelves are neat, but they're going to be a whole lot less transparent when they're full of opaque game boxes, so I'm not sure there was really a point.

The games aren't as tall as the shelves.

Lobster

Banned
Woah dude thats awesome. I wish you the best of luck and also wish you don't try to rape wallets:D

You got just bout everything. Even registers with chairs. Classy.

Firestorm

Is it called Game On btw? Weird since we have a store called Game On near my city as well:
http://www.gameoncanada.com/
They actually do pretty well iirc. Located right across from an EB and they offer better TIV and better used game prices than EB, so people come straight to them :lol

I plan on visiting San Diego sometime within a year, I'll absolutely keep your place in mind to visit, and make a purchase just so I can support this endeavor. Are you thinking of selling online to help profits? I know of a local store here that sells a lot of extra stock online to keep inventory from stagnating and such. Plus when you get in the occasional high demand or rare game it's tough to sell it in store at the price it might be demanding online.

Tiktaalik

Holy shit Apple store of videogames confirmed. That is awesome.

Are you selling just new games or retro vintage as well? Keep GAF updated!

Flynn

AMUSIX said:
Gaslamp's for tourists (who aren't out to buy games) and nightclub/dinner traffic (who aren't out to shop). I'm in PB, on Garnet.

I know the store, they did a lot of things right, they also did a number of things wrong. The key is to do it simply, and do it better. The big box stores I can match in cost, but not in volume. It would be foolish for me to try. I'm a boutique (like GameStop or GameCrazy) that can offer a shopping experience that they can't, simply because their corporate offices wouldn't allow funding on this level. But that's all market research/investor babble. Ultimately, this isn't my main source of income (or even needs to be one) this is something I wanted to have in my town that noone else seemed to be doing.

Oh, and yes, it's just games/consoles/handhelds (at least that's what it says on the business cards) though I'm considering handling imports as well (if I can find a distributor that I'm happy with). If someone is interested in setting up the full deal, displays, receivers, audio systems, I have a partnership with a local business who handle just that (they did everything in the store).

It's good to see you were watching what Acme was doing. The main thing you shouldn't do that they did is get arrested. :p

But what they did do really well was throw upscale parties -- go for the hip crowd. They had Suicide Girl bartenders and stuff like that.

They were also a good joint to grab import DS games when you had extra money burning a hole in your pocket. Sadly their game stock wasn't that hot.

One thing to look into: home entertainment racks and high-end storage that works for gaming. High end solutions for controller cables, especially for Rock Band and stuff like that. Ways to help people keep their living room's classy, but still play games.

I wouldn't display all that stuff, maybe put it in a binder that they can browse. Would require some salesmanship, I suspect.

Anyway, I'm terribly excited about your store and will buy a game every time I'm in San Diego.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So it's awsome, you can demo games in their full glory, and you aren't going to be trying to pitch me member cards and magazine subscriptions when I just want to buy the new Ace Attorney game? If I lived in the area I'd go there exclusively.

Question: You have people sit down to check out? Is this to encourage those next in line to be patient and those being helped to feel special?

Thought: So you don't want to get into used games because it draws the wrong crowd, that sounds good. However, the used game scene rocks for finding games that are hard to find because you missed them when they were a new release. If you could figure out some way of being able to get such titles on request (so you don't pay just to have them sit there) and made this known, that'd be cool.

gimz

nice, i hope you wont charge too much more than other game retail stores for games

and you should help people to import games if customer request
since you can save on shipping if you import more games at once

Momar

aka Ryder
Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic. If I'm ever in the San Diego area in the near future I am definitely coming. You need to make a super mega awesome thread update when you open!

blackadde

nice sense of restraint in the design choices. the warm / reddish floors mesh well with all the vibrant greens. hope you don't get ruined by your customers!

h3ro

Congrats! Hope you're successful in you venture!

I really like the aesthetic, very Manhattan loungish... I should know, I just got home from one! :p

GhaleonEB

Glad I finally got curious enough about the thread title to check it out. Beautiful store, very nice design choices.

In my entrepreneurial course in college, i did a business plan for a games store. I was *this* close to running with it, too. You're living the dream I still have. Where is the store located? I'll swing by and give you some business if I'm ever in that area.

Edit: San Diego. I'm going there on vacation next summer. I'll stop by.

SleazyC

The store looks magnificent and I truly hope that you have success with it.

I guess if I had money, time, and buisness smarts I would attempt the same but I would also try to sell TV's and Audio setups. I figure that a lot of people are growing up on games now and when you go to your normal big store they have nice feeds running movies, tv's and so on but rarely do you see them running games. A couple demo rooms with multiple tv's or projectors piping popular games might generate some interest. But yea, if I am ever in San Diego after your store opens you can bet I'll drop by and give you some buisness :D

Tieno

Prettiest game store I've seen! Good taste.

Please post more pics once it's fully 'dressed' and when you have the store up and running.

Nabster92

Wow very nice. It's not too far from the UCSD campus is it? I'll definitely have to stop by and check it out sometime. When is it officially open for business?

G-Bus

Banned
Wish I lived near their. I buy my games at a Wal-Mart a town over...

Good luck with all of that. Doubt you'll need it. :D

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Wow. Thats a very nice looking place. And its a game store of all things! Very classy. If I'm ever in san diego I'll buy some stuff from you.

You should contact the gaming blogs before the grand opening to get the word out.

Darkpen

Banned
Holy shit, man, that shit is hot. Hot and sexy as hell. Oh man. I would love to drop by that place to hang out if I lived around there.

So San Diego, huh? Just might check it out :O

Whats it called?

Duderz

Banned
I'm from Oceanside, but every chance I get, I will be sure to support your business. This is really an awesome looking store. Please keep us all updated, especially when your grand opening is!

AMUSIX

Thank you again for all the praise, if nothing else, I am incredibly proud of the way the design came out.

To address a number of repeated comments/questions:

Yes, the store's name is Games On (that's the logo as my avatar). And yes, it's grammatically incorrect.

We are only going to be carrying games for the 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, and DS. Yes, I know the previous generation systems are still huge software (and hardware) sellers, but I'd rather start focused and then grow over time. With that in mind, for the first four months or so, we will ONLY be selling new games, but will start a used game section shortly thereafter. We will also carry import titles IF I can find a good import distributor. Other game paraphanalia (primarily soundtracks, but also shirts, books, art) will show up next year as well.

Though I have the ability to match the big box stores in price, it would just make it more difficult on me. We will be offering the same prices as Gamestop/GameCrazy. I will not charge a few bucks extra, just because my store looks nice. The customer should not pay for my choice of flooring.

No, we won't be doing online sales, though will have a proper site. Mostly just because I believe every store should have some sort of website, even if it's just for address, phone number, hours, and directions.

Coffee would be great to serve, but not sure if I'll be able to swing that. If I do, it'll be Peet's or Illy (maybe Segafredo).

The stools at the counter are actually designated for the handheld demo station which should be in the center of the large open space behind them (there's a round outlet on the floor where it will go). Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to mount the handhelds to prevent theft of the system or the game inside. However, I wouldn't be against having stools at the counter, if people like these in their temporary location.

Someone mentioned that the acrylic shelves won't be see-through when stuffed with games. Not a problem, as they aren't going to be stuffed. I don't agree with the edge-to-edge wall of games that a lot of stores do. I think each game should be given its own space, that it's much easier to browse. Yes, this means that for each system, only about 80 games will get shown full face, but the bottom shelves of each unit are designed to hold the games spines out, and they can hold more than enough.

Gotten a few PMs, so will answer those here as well:

The concept of the store came primarily from realizing that the only people who can navigate a game store on their own are gamers themselves. Everyone else has to rely on going through the clerk behind the counter. This makes our hobby very inaccessible. By opening up the space, it gives people the ability to simple browse without feeling overwhelmed.
Also, this is a high-end hobby. Our toys are often the most expensive source in our entertainment systems, and spending hundreds of dollars each year is the norm. I just think there's room for the retail side of our hobby to mature.

I'm not keen on discussing finances, but I will say my primary source of income is from investments, which gives me the time and the means to do this.

Someone asked if the location of the store was sacrificed in order to put the money towards the design and materials. Actually, just the opposite, sort of. The location was tantamount to everything else. This store is opening a year and a half later than planned because I was adamant about getting the perfect location. This means I passed up on a number of other, far less expensive spaces, but I didn't believe the store would have worked there.

Basic advice for opening a store? Don't. Just don't. If you absolutely have to, make a bunch of money doing something else, then open a store as a pet project. Otherwise, find a great independant store to work at, find someone who's willing to run the back office while you run the front.

Oh, and if after we open, anyone comes in, mention you're from GAF, just to touch base. And maybe I'll give you a sticker or something.

Also, someone mentioned Rock Band...yeah, I wish I could be playing it early. I have three distributors, and so far I can't get a single Rock Band into the store. One of my distributors had and allocation of 3,000 units from EA for my zone, when the shipment finally arrived, there were 70.

Pharmacy

Banned
part of me hates seeing this because lots of people brag about getting games for really cheap online and stuff and most of gaf is saying "nice store!" even though they've never bought a single new game in their lives

i really hope this works out for you

Really really nice store.

On the shoplifting issue. It seems like you don't have that many racks to put games on, so maybe you could just place empty cases everywhere and they have to ask at the counter to get a real box (if you weren't planning on doing this already). The only problem is that you better have some room under the counter to place the most popular games there, so you don't have to go to the storage room everytime.

Kevtones

Good luck with this.

The sooner you develop the used game section, the better. The margins are obviously a lot higher (especially with consoles).

Have you thought about rentals? There is a fairly successful game store where I live that issues dollar/day rentals that has basically taken over the game rental business locally. Profit turning is not as tough as you may think either, especially with the right price scheme.

Encourage community things such as tournaments, XBL meetups, WoW meetups. Anything you can do to create consistent customers and word of mouth is important. These things, as far as I can tell, really helped the store where I live.

Just some ideas.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Best of luck with this, man. If I'm ever in the area, I'll definitely stop by.

Be sure to keep us updated on how things are going.

Olaeh

Such a nice looking place. I am not so far from the area and go to San Diego once in a while. I can't wait to shop there.

Hero

That is an awesome store. If I ever am out that way I will definitely stop and shop.

Like a bunch of others have said in this thread, I have no idea how to begin to operate a store like this on a successful level so I will wish you and your store the best of luck.

JavaMava

looks amazing!

Now just make sure you break street dates, have enough copies of the big games, get into a reasonable buy/sell used market, and serve booze. Every one loves booze and it not only makes you money, but people buy more stuff when they are drinking. Would go great with Rock Band and Wii demos.

nli10

AMUSIX said:
Mostly just because I believe every store should have some sort of website, even if it's just for address, phone number, hours, and directions.

I agree so much, it's excellent to see special offers and other events when you go on to check out times. Especially if you are staying open slightly later on games launch day so nutters like me can go into town after work just to buy from a retail store instead of online.

amusix said:
Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to mount the handhelds to prevent theft of the system or the game inside.

Simple answer - you can't. Wii are in such short supply that in a store I know the Wii just got stolen. This was locked behind glass into the wall in a boxing ring style display area in a prominent part of the store, right next tot he tills. If you have supply constrained systems or just dodgy customers they will find a way to steal everything given recon time. Noise makers mean that staff can easily keep an eye on things and reduce tampering, but can annoy. Short of melting the plastic on the units to attach things, or physically burning your stores logo into the lid of the DS to make them unsellable I can't think of ways that this can be prevented, only reduced.

Best wishes for the store, if I ever visit the US and San Diego I will pop in and look at the DS section. :D

Polari said:
Nice store, I hope you're putting the same level of effort into the customer service side of things where you really want to differentiate yourselves from the competition.

Yep, i think the key to something like this is getting a good base of regulars who probably get a little bit of loyalty "discount" and then attract the passing trade as well. That is how a lot of niche bike shops work and it seems to be a pretty profitable strategy.

Hope it goes well! I'd certainly be more likely to shop somewhere like that where the staff are friendly and not trying to push console insurance cover on you all the time! (so long as there was student discount ;))

Kuran

Banned
Good luck with the store, if I lived anywhere near it I would definately check it out.

Any plans to set up a web-shop?

gblues

Banned
Mashing said:
One thing you might want to think about doing is selling gourmet coffee to customers. However, that might pose problems with all the electronics and stuff in the store.

Fixed for business sense.

Seriously, this is how you make a boutique like this work--let the frivolous stuff like gaming tournaments and coffee and shit be your source of profit, so the tiny margins of the games don't matter so much.

I'm in LOVE.

I really hope - pray - that this takes off.

Rundown, ghetto, pigsty stores like EB/Gamestop are an embarrassment to our hobby. This is the next step, and I hope to hell it takes off. If other stores (Apple Store, Sony Store, etc.) can be classy, why not a gaming shop?

I wish you all the luck in the world. I'd love to shop at your store one day.

Top Bottom