• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My November Game Purchase OR My God, What Have I Done?

2 tips:

1) get a liquor license and turn the place into a bar after 10pm.
2) host a weekly guitar hero/rock band/madden/random fighting game tournaments and keep 50% of the entry fees.

wayward archer said:
2 tips:

1) get a liquor license and turn the place into a bar after 10pm.
2) host a weekly guitar hero/rock band/madden/random fighting game tournaments and keep 50% of the entry fees.
The place easily looks like it could pass for a bar after hours. You'd just need a way of moving / covering the game sections quickly. Tourny idea is good, but I don't know if you need special licences for such things? Probably.

Generally, place looks fantastic. I wish you luck!

[Edit - That's a beautiful dog, I'm jealous.]

Sean

Banned
That's a beautiful looking store. Much better than the standard games store.

I wish you the best of luck, it's going to be tough competing with the major retail chains. You seem to know what you're doing though. Keep us updated on how everything goes.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Looks amazing. It's like the gamestore for we kids that grew up to become the IKEA generation. I like your ideas and ambition, and would easily choose a store like this versus my local Gamestop hole-in-the-wall with the kid assaulting me to pre-order stuff before I'm out of my car.

GrayFoxPL

What about ladies for keeping company?

Instal "those" booths :D

Awesome looking store If I'd came here I'd came on everything and everyone from the bliss!

gkryhewy

Best of luck to you! From a business standpoint, I'm part of the problem (a cheap ass gamer). I suggest you carry imports and classics - would help to make your store a destination.

He jests.... but hiring some cute HARDCORE GAMER store clerks would definitely help.

Fixed.

I live roughly nine time zones away so it's not likely I'll ever get to visit but if I ever get a business trip to San Diego, I'm so checking it out.

radjago

I get the impression of a locally owned book store or coffee shop. You should play on that vibe. Maybe even offer a section of books, magazines, and other items of interest.

Kildace

When you hire your staff, make sure to quizz them on games, nothing is worse than a game store clerk with shitty tastes / no knowledge about games. Excellent service will make people come back and is a bigger factor than store layout, imo.

Good luck in your endeavor. I really hope you succeed!

Mamesj

Banned
I was gonna say "you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack" but it's really cool that you don't have to worry about the returns on this. The first months before you get used games and imports will probably be slow, but I'm sure business will be pick up as word of mouth gets around about "that fucking beautiful game store" :D

Kildace said:
When you hire your staff, make sure to quizz them on games, nothing is worse than a game store clerk with shitty tastes / no knowledge about games. Excellent service will make people come back and is a bigger factor than store layout, imo.

Good luck in your endeavor. I really hope you succeed!

Agreed! and make sure they aren't overbearing or fanboys. I can't count how many times I've had to tell a clerk to shut up and leave me alone (in so many words) because he was either A) pimping some crap game he likes way too hard, B) putting down my choice, or C) talking to me about old game news, getting every part of the story wrong, and not letting me just do my shopping and leave.

There's an idea! You should have a screen with the latest game news (RSS feed or something), like airports have with regular news. Find someplace that has a clean design with short texts and a picture. Keep it rotating.

Fletcher

I like that it has a very sophisticated look to it. Where is this store located? I live in San Diego and would love to shop at this store. If it is, in fact, in SD let me know the location, please.

EDIT: I just read that you said it was in PB on Garnet, which is awesome because I live on Morena Blvd./Friars. I just found my new video game store. Only, I will be there on weekday mornings to avoid that mess of traffic trying to get down there later on in the evening.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Have new releases listed on a chalk-board for a little retro touch and personality.

You need way more light in the back to not make it look like a tunnel from the outside, you want to make it look wider.

I really like your store. If there is any justice in the world then this should work out well for you.

I gave up on most retail gaming stores simply because they are far to crowded and some (at least all from where I live) have the most annoying staff in the world.

So, if I was to offer a small tip then make sure you hire some quality staff to realize your vision with you. Preferably someone who knows more about game than reading a bit of paper than comes in every week.

elseanio

This is awesome! I think if you get staff that know and enjoy the gaming industry, you'll draw people away from the bigger stores. The bar at night is a great idea too, if you can arrange it.

Best wishes, hope this works for you

Fletcher

PirateSean said:
This is awesome! I think if you get staff that know and enjoy the gaming industry, you'll draw people away from the bigger stores. The bar at night is a great idea too, if you can arrange it.

Best wishes, hope this works for you

There is probably all kinds of things that need to be done in order to turn that place into a bar, as well. It is in a great location for that, but wouldn't recommend it. Drunk people tend to break things and that place already looks nice.

The hardest part about hiring for a place like this is getting people that are knowledgeable about the games, but also make sure they aren't stupid and/or not customer friendly.

shuri

Banned
Really classy looking, hope it turns out to be succesfull; and I hope you won't have problems with stores ghouls that hang out all day to talk with the clerks about Final Fantasy.

I think you should honestly tell staff to get rid of people who just hang out at the store or just don't fit with the general style of clients that you would want in it.

Good luck.

Very nice. There is a small chain of independant game stores where I live but they are cluttered, rundown, extremely overpriced and the owner is very pushy. I'd much rather shop at a place like yours. I wish you great success.

mcgarrett said:
He jests.... but hiring some cute store clerks would definitely help.
This is true. They don't even have to be girls, they just have to look like they shower at least once a day and leave the house once in a while. Nothings more intimidating to the average person than entering a store employed by stereotypical super geeks. So, at the very least, make sure any one you employ has decent social skills and won't make your customer's ears bleed whenever they talk. Charismatic clerks will only enhance your store's image.

Best of luck with your store! It looks great. If you were in my area, I'd definately shop there when there's no amazing sale going on elsewhere. :D

Diablos

Dude, that is awesome. You should be proud of yourself. Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. do not have a layout anywhere close to being this impressive for games. Very, very cool.

And the home theater room is a BIG plus.

I would definitely shop there every time I want a game.

1) Fucking awesome.

2) Congrats to you for wanting to build a nice game store.

But 3) I hate to be pessimistic, but the reason Gamestop/EB are typical gamer stores, with their slum environments and shitty, exploitatve treatment of customers is that most gamers are poor, lazy slobs who pretty much deserve it--or are spoiled brats who think it's their given right to break and spill whatever they want, wherever they want.

4) Good luck, best wishes.

Nintaiyo

I said WOW. This is a great idea! If I lived anywhere near there, I'd buy all my games from you. Like others have said, try and be selective about the type of people you hire; I'm sure you know all about the stereotype of EB/Gamestop employees. Be sure to post pics once you have the store completely set up. Good Luck!

dork

Banned
Absolutely amazing. My friend was going to do something similar to this. The only problem being, you dont make much money from selling new games/systems. Hence why gamestop/gamecrazy sell used games. I love the demo room and all that.

Hope everything goes well for you.

wayward archer said:

We tried this (about, oh god, 10 years ago....) at the game store I used to work, and kids saw it as an opportunity to steal stuff while everyone's attention was focused on the tournament. It's still an awesome idea, just make sure to have plenty of staff around the store.

mj1108

Absolutely beautiful! If I was in SD I'd shop there exclusively. Next time I'm down that way I'll definitely stop in and support your endeavor.

Neomoto

Seriously, that looks fucking awesome.

I guess it loses some of it's meaning when so many people say it but I would seriously buy all my game purchases from you if I lived near (unfortunately, Europe isn't). Even if it would cost a couple of bucks more. Too bad you don't want to do a web-shop with it, or I could buy DS import/pre-order games from you.

From the look of things, you have a lot of factors covered. I agree with people saying you need quality employees who don't push people, just let them be but are there for them if needed. People that know what they are doing, are neutral, that can find whatever you need easily, that are helpfull and non-intimidating.

I would love to see such a store for games where I live. Where the ambiance is relaxing, where you just can check out stuff with ease. Tournaments (friendly ones) and the game lounge and living room are great ideas. Especially on days when a big game launch so you don't have to wait hours for closed doors or just in line but can relax (after you've taken a number). Just set up a soda machine and put an extra couch and it's perfect.

You mentioned something about the accessability for non-gamers to browse and such. I just thought of something that perhaps could be usefull.
I think it would be a good idea then to include some sort of "featured" game section in a number of different categories with additional info and a monitor displaying them. Say, family oriented games that would be great choises that the whole family can enjoy (Guitar Hero, Wii Sports etc). Or top x-mas choises, games for children (parental choises) and so forth.
I think it would make browsing for a lot of people easier because they probably don't know left from right beforehand for choosing a game and will rely on what the child want or the boxart/commercial or what the employee suggests.

I hope it works out greatly for you but I think you'll do just fine. :)

bridegur

It looks really nice, congratulations. Now just try to find some normal but knowledgeable employees (not an easy feat in the game industry) and you should be set. I don't think I've ever had a great customer service experience when shopping for games.

It really looks fantastic. Having done a run at the game store thing myself (way back in 1998), I sincerely wish you luck and hope your hard work pays off for you.

That's absolutely gorgeous! I wish you the best of luck, hope it all works out. I wish we had some stores like this here in Holland.

Be sure to post some more pics when it's up and running.

Again, wonderful place!

Top Bottom