• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My November Game Purchase OR My God, What Have I Done?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Pakkidis said:
I have to agree with his point, Im sure you've done your homework but the majority of your profit will not be from game sales. With a store that size maybe you could fit a few more TV's and have a game tournament or such. Either way the store looks great and I wish you the best of luck.

yeah you won't turn a big profit selling software. You can make a lot more with accessories and warranties. Let us know when the place is open for business.

JoeMartin

AMUSIX said:
really trying to create a game store that isn't targeted just to the 'gamerkid' demographic. Something more open, accessable, sheik

I see what you did thurr.

I'll be in San Diego for Christmas, I'll be sure to stop by and check the place out.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I have a habit of sticking to one store for all of my gaming needs, and if you were near me, I'd buy all my shit from you.

Best of luck, good sir. The place looks pretty damn awesome.

DiddyBop

rememebr to keep us updated on how things are and to take more pics once your stock arrives and it gets all setup. a staff pic wouldnt hurt either. if i ever vacation around the bay area,best believe i'll visit your shop and buy a few things.

and like others have said, make sure you have tons of cool accessories to compliment each system. imported accessories and other goodies like plushies and figurines will help you out a lot.

AMUSIX

Been a while since I could get back to this thread...got stock on the shelves, a few more headaches, and some little touches.

People keep asking when we'll be open. If all goes well, sometime this week. Right now we've got about 80% of our stock in, and won't be carrying the extra stuff (books, shirts, plushies, etc) until after the holidays.

did you hire someone to do the overall design?
The layout and design I did myself. My wife had the idea of the acrylic shelves, and we had help with the design of them, and of other surfaces and materials.

are you planning just to stock the grade-A quality games, or are you going to keep it open to all games (including crap like Barbie Horse Adventures).
I'm going to try and keep the shovelware to a minimum, though Barbie Horse Adventures would definintely make it onto the shelves.

One question (and maybe the most important) that I don't think has been asked, will you be reporting to NPD?
I would, but NPD simply can't handle sell-through of this magnitude. I actually report my sales directly to the Gamecube Hut, who then release total numbers on blogs and message board worldwide.

Oh, hire females, topless...
is there a dress code?
hmmm...

make sure you have tons of cool accessories to compliment each system. imported accessories and other goodies like plushies and figurines will help you out a lot.
Will definintely be doing this.

I would have some promotional event for the opening. Tournements are good but since its the shopping season, it would be smart to offer some discounts to get parents to shop there so they keep coming back. Appeal to those with the money!

Huggers

Great work man. This looks like the gaming store equivelant of Edge. I wish you all the best. I bet you're very busy but if you get a chance update us with some more pics and info

el Croux

Looks amazing. Always thought an establishment like this would be an excellent idea, and it's been on my imaginary list of things to do if I ever won the lottery.

I wish you the best of luck.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Looks awesome!!!

Too bad I don't live in SD anymore as it is walking distance pretty much anywhere on Garnet from where I used to live on Diamond St =(

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Very nice work.

A few suggestions/reiterations of previous suggestions:

-Sensor tags and a thing that beeps at the exit aren't going to stop anyone. You definitely need a uniformed security guard prominently posted near the entrance if you intend to keep games where customers can access them freely.

-Someone suggested the idea of a catalogue of classy shelving/home theater units for customers to browse through and special order from... This is brilliant. Storage has a HUGE profit margin, and the competition doesn't do this sort of thing. Extends the store's theme of trying to make games more professional, too. If the catalog thing isn't feasible, at least try to stock a few nice small DIY media displays, they don't take up too much room.

-Accessories like controllers and DS pouches and such are a no brainer as they're a huge profit driver, but be discerning. Extend the store's design philosophy to these, stock the stuff that looks classy and professional, leave the Transformers console skins and Nerf DS Armor to the other guys.

-I know toys are generally pretty gaudy and don't gel with the aesthetic, but it's a high profit area that's been untapped/abandoned by big box stores for the most part (EBs around here eliminated their toy sections, not sure about other areas). Stuff like Square Enix's Play Arts line and the NECA Resident Evil and Castlevania toys would probably sell pretty well and their packaging wouldn't be too obtrusive. Videogame related Japanese Trading Figures and whatnot could be a nice draw if you could get a good rate on them, too... I'd imagine something like those Nintendo Sound Drop keychains or .Dot Graphics things would sell very well as impulse buys if placed on the register counter. I'd shy away from plushies and love pillows and such, though, there's really no way not to make those look chintzy and hurt the look of your store.

-I'd rethink the classic games thing. Now that no big chain buys them back, there's a glut of people who want to sell and a dearth of options as to where to do this at. People will come to your store ready to sell, and ready to sell cheap. Make a display case/spinner rack of the stuff that will probably sell then eBay or, hell, just throw away anything else. You'll probably come out on top either way.

Davidion

Shig said:
Very nice work.

A few suggestions/reiterations of previous suggestions:

-Sensor tags and a thing that beeps at the exit aren't going to stop anyone. You definitely need a uniformed security guard prominently posted near the entrance if you intend to keep games where customers can access them freely.

-Someone suggested the idea of a catalogue of classy shelving/home theater units for customers to browse through and special order from... This is brilliant. Storage has a HUGE profit margin, and the competition doesn't do this sort of thing. Extends the store's theme of trying to make games more professional, too. If the catalog thing isn't feasible, at least try to stock a few nice small DIY media displays, they don't take up too much room.

-Accessories like controllers and DS pouches and such are a no brainer as they're a huge profit driver, but be discerning. Extend the store's design philosophy to these, stock the stuff that looks classy and professional, leave the Transformers console skins and Nerf DS Armor to the other guys.

-I know toys are generally pretty gaudy and don't gel with the aesthetic, but it's a high profit area that's been untapped/abandoned by big box stores for the most part (EBs around here eliminated their toy sections, not sure about other areas). Stuff like Square Enix's Play Arts line and the NECA Resident Evil and Castlevania toys would probably sell pretty well and their packaging wouldn't be too obtrusive. Videogame related Japanese Trading Figures and whatnot could be a nice draw if you could get a good rate on them, too... I'd imagine something like those Nintendo Sound Drop keychains or .Dot Graphics things would sell very well as impulse buys if placed on the register counter. I'd shy away from plushies and love pillows and such, though, there's really no way not to make those look chintzy and hurt the look of your store.

Love the advice here. However, as a small add-on, I'd recommend that for security you place a guard in a good suit as supposed to a guy in a security uniform. Keeping the atmosphere quirky yet sleek and professional can only do you good.

I don't know what your operational budget is (didn't read through the entire thread so it might have already been mentioned), but perhaps you should consider investing in a small handful of classic and likely expensive collectible games or gaming paraphernalia. Anyone who's ever been to the Nintendo World Store knows about their small display cases full of specialized sales and display items. It's a nice way of adding a simple touch of elegance and class.

Again, best of luck. Would love to keep tabs on how well your store is doing going forward.

dude

dude
I like everything about your store and how you're doing it, everything but your logo. The name is a little simple but alright, your logo though is too... "Gamer"-y. I mean, you have all this green and a cool G on O effect, I just feel like it doesn't sit well with the store family friendly design. I think a more minimal, classy logo will be better for such a store.
Anyway, Goodluck. Also, please post pictures as soon as you have everything set up, I really want to see how it goes :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
AMUSIX said:
I would, but NPD simply can't handle sell-through of this magnitude. I actually report my sales directly to the Gamecube Hut, who then release total numbers on blogs and message board worldwide.
That is very good to know. I'll keep an eye out for when Gahiggidy posts them.

arne

SD? Might have to make a trip down to check the store out in it's fully armed and operational status. Amazing endeavor you put yourself on the line for. Best of luck!

it's dumb that this store isn't in new hampshire.

gamestop looks way too retarded with all the signage and bullshit marketing/trade in/reserve now grabage sprinkled throughout the store.

your store looks amazing, good luck to you!

Google

Just wanted to throw my $0.02 onto the staff issue.

Please don't go about your hiring process in the manner you've already suggested. What you need are good retail/sales staff, who should ideally have an interest in videogames, but it shouldn't be a prerequisite. You shouldn't rely on their background in games, or their knowledge of such, because you're more than likely going to employ an opinionated young girl or guy, who really doesn't know the first thing about customer service.

You seem to be heading for a boutique style store, so you really need to get customer service focussed staff. The only way you're going to make money is by retaining loyal customers, and creating a word of mouth environment. I doubt you'll be able to be 20% cheaper than other game stores, so you'll need to set yourself apart in other areas.

One of the key components is customer service / customer satisfaction. It's always being discussed on here.

If you have staff who can cater for the average GAF member, as well as the average Mother/Father combo, you'll have a pretty good basis. Your staff need not know every single answer to every single questions about random J-RPG, but they should have the know how and intelligence to explain as much, and offer to look up the answer or ask someone more knowledgeable answer it.

Having your staff react to customers key requests (holding onto a game, meeting pre-orders, knowing ETA's, having time to search for stock) will far outweigh workforce full of guys who know a lot about Nintendo games.

Your store represents a chilled somewhat chic gaming environement, dont allow your staff to become an over the top videogame fan working in a chic gaming store.

Last bit:

The biggest thing that bothers me about going into EBGames/Gamestop are the unprofessional staff. If I were spending $60-$80 in a clothes store, I would be offered a fitting room, extra sizes, and pricing help on any number of occassions. So why is it that I feel like a complete moron asking for stock/pricing information, ETA's or just a general "Where is it?" in a game store.

Final final thing:

Having worked in videogame retail in my younger years, the biggest issue for me was the nerd/geek group that would come in after school/college and literally spend a couple of hours in the store, asking retarded questions, and commenting on customer purchases (and never buying anything).

Dont allow this to happen, as its a major turn off for many customers, and a significant reason why people shop at big box stores. Shopping for videogames should be a treat, not a chore.

Whew...

I want to wish you the very best of luck with this, as this is definitely a place I would love to go and shop for games. It would be cool if you also stocked imports, as one of my favorite things to do when I visit my friends in LA is to go to the neighborhood import shops (even though I do a good portion of my importing online) because finding a good store that carries both domestic & import games are kind of hard to find in a sea full of GameStops, GameCrazys, Best Buys...etc.

Will definitely be visiting once the store's fully operational.

Best of luck again!

R0nn

I'm thoroughly impressed! I really appreciate the effort, wonderful store.

If I ever get to the States and around the SD area, I'll definately visit your store and make some purchases.

Maybe something you might want to look into to get yourself a decent amount of regulars: introduce some sort of point system with which customers can rack up points by making regular purchases, so they can receive discounts. There's an independantly operated videogame store chain here in the Netherlands that's operating with such a system for many years now, and it's a very succesful business model for them.

Say a customer receives three points for purchasing a new game. If he racks up 10 points, you could reward that by offering a 5% discount on his next purchase (two products max). If he doesn't spend the points on that discount, you could allow him to rack up more points so he can receive a bigger discount (up to 20% or whatever) later on. Only deal out points for purchases of new games and consider a different discount model (if at all) for hardware.

People WILL came back to your store for this (at least if they live in the area).

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Google said:
Just wanted to throw my $0.02 onto the staff issue.

Please don't go about your hiring process in the manner you've already suggested. What you need are good retail/sales staff, who should ideally have an interest in videogames, but it shouldn't be a prerequisite. You shouldn't rely on their background in games, or their knowledge of such, because you're more than likely going to employ an opinionated young girl or guy, who really doesn't know the first thing about customer service.

Exactly. What you need firstly is a helpful and hard working staff. You don't want punks working in there. You need reliable people who work well, will keep your store clean and also like what they do and enjoy and know about games. If possible, try to pay a little above minimum wage. If possible.

Just a thought, but as an interesting way to generate a returning customer base I always thought a small store should reach for "community" involvement. By this I mean, maybe you should try to do things like a monthly tournaments where people can play games at your store or something, maybe even meet new people. If a local store here did Smash Brothers tournaments or Halo tournaments I would show up even if I knew nothing of the games and just got to play the games with others.

I dunno, just an idea. Freaking amazing looking store there :)

HokieJoe

Having worked retail in the past (not game related), here are my suggestions:

Keep the stock fronted and organized!

Keep the store clean (Fronting the stock and cleaning should be a nightly or every-other-night habit for your staff)

Invest (if you haven't already) in a tight inventory control system. Know when items need restocking ahead of time- not when it's out of stock. You don't want your customers in the habit of going to another store because you're out of stock, or you have to tell them, "we can have it three days".

Awesome looking store BTW. Best of luck.

Google

HokieJoe said:
Having worked retail in the past (not game related), here are my suggestions:

Keep the stock fronted and organized!

Keep the store clean (Fronting the stock and cleaning should be a nightly or every-other-night habit for your staff)

Invest (if you haven't already) in a tight inventory control system. Know when items need restocking ahead of time- not when it's out of stock. You don't want your customers in the habit of going to another store because you're out of stock, or you have to tell them, "we can have it three days".

Awesome looking store BTW. Best of luck.

Yes, yes, yes...all of it!

MrNibbles

Banned
I can't get to your store physically, and I understand the decision about not having an online store.

However, your store looks great, and if you want to open one up in the Santa Barbara area (boutiques galore, no Best Buy or Circuit City or Wal*Mart for miles), I would definitely buy from you (or work for you).

But for now, I'd love to send you a check and receive a game.
Willing to take the hit on price/shipping/speed to support something GOOD for the retail side of the industry.

Google

MrNibbles said:
But for now, I'd love to send you a check and receive a game.
Willing to take the hit on price/shipping/speed to support something GOOD for the retail side of the industry.

Hah, you're mad!

MrNibbles

Banned
Google said:
Hah, you're mad!

You come in here and shit on the parade, telling him how to run his store?
We all know you worked at a game store.
You act like it.

I recall a previous thread where I called you out on it.
Grow up. You're a big part of what hate - the douche behind the counter at EB / Gamestop / similar.

I'd say that the LAST thing Games On needs is advice from you.

Hiring ACTUAL gamers can not be a bad thing.
Opinionated? Yes.
But as long as he hires people who are mentally balanced, generally nice, and can help customers, he'll be fine.

If I wanted "customer service" I'd go to Gamestop or Best Buy, get screwed, and then pay for the privilege.

Google

MrNibbles said:
You come in here and shit on the parade, telling him how to run his store?
We all know you worked at a game store.
You act like it.

I recall a previous thread where I called you out on it.
Grow up. You're a big part of what hate - the douche behind the counter at EB / Gamestop / similar.

I'd say that the LAST thing Games On needs is advice from you.

Hiring ACTUAL gamers can not be a bad thing.
Opinionated? Yes.
But as long as he hires people who are mentally balanced, generally nice, and can help customers, he'll be fine.

If I wanted "customer service" I'd go to Gamestop or Best Buy, get screwed, and then pay for the privilege.

Thanks for reading my post.

Fredescu

He's right though. As soon as I saw your name I knew the post would be about the opinionated geeks that annoy you so. It's difficult to be good at customer service without good knowledge of your product, and not everyone with knowledge of games is a social misfit lacking in tact.

Google said:
Yeah, it really should. There is no reason why someone can't be a well balanced individual with a customer focus and friendly manner and also have good gaming knowledge.

rage1973

Good luck to you but I am sure as you know video game sales are a very low margin business. I hope you did some good budgetting to determine your basic break even point as far as sales. Also good inventory management could break or make your business.

miyuru

I'm sure that there are good PR/CS people out there who play games. The key here is that your staff has to be able to adapt to whoever s/he is helping. You have to be able to talk at peoples' levels.

For someone new to gaming, say jumping on the Wii bandwagon, just explain the basics etc., you wouldn't need to go into specifics. On the other hand, you could truly converse games with a seasoned gamer.

IMO it's all about adapting yourself to your client, so you can connect.

MrNibbles

Banned
rage1973 said:
Good luck to you but I am sure as you know video game sales are a very low margin business. I hope you did some good budgetting to determine your basic break even point as far as sales. Also good inventory management could break or make your business.

He's not in it for the money.
He's in it for the
lulz

If he DOES manage to make some $ from it, great.

Google

Fredescu said:
He's right though. As soon as I saw your name I knew the post would be about the opinionated geeks that annoy you so. It's difficult to be good at customer service without good knowledge of your product, and not everyone with knowledge of games is a social misfit lacking in tact.

Do you think the kids that work in GAP know a damn about the origins of this Winter's collection? I worked in GAP when I was travelling, and I can honestly say that while I was aware of what particular styles were in fashion at the time, I wasnt able to give a 45 minute presentation to the average consumer on what they should be wearing.

It was the same for 95% of the guys and girls working there, but we were working there, because we had been hired due to the very nature of our personalities and skills. Being able to communicate openly with a customer, while providing them with results to questions they have asked, or are going to ask is all someone needs to do.

Training can be given on specific items.

GAP would often bring all the staff in for specific training evenings where we would be informed of the latest lines, fashions, colours and promotions. Did I give a fuck? Of course not, but was I able to sell the brand effectively next time I was working. Yes.

It should be the same in any reatil, clothing, electronics or otherwise.

Knowing how to sell is more important than previous knowledge of the product.

If the staff are intelligent enough, they'll learn.

But of course, I'm going off topic - I'm sure there are plent of guys and girls who're interested in videogames that would make good retail staff - I just think that looking for people with videogame skills or background would be selling the whole thing short.

BuRT!

This place looks awesome, too bad it's like a 20 minute drive to PB from my house. I'll prob check it out when it opens, but since Bestbuy is literally right down the street I can't say I'd be a regular... :<

Top Bottom