• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My November Game Purchase OR My God, What Have I Done?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Looks too intimidating.
I myself prefer old, smelly obscure dark shops where shoddy things are crammed in every corner and everything is dusty and warm. Just like that chinese shop from Gremlins.

Chipopo

Banned
BuRT! said:
This place looks awesome, too bad it's like a 20 minute drive to PB from my house. I'll prob check it out when it opens, but since Bestbuy is literally right down the street I can't say I'd be a regular... :<

dude...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DKnight said:
Looks too intimidating.
I myself prefer old, smelly obscure dark shops where shoddy things are crammed in every corner and everything is dusty and warm. Just like that chinese shop from Gremlins.
Don't lie, you were going to say just like your room but changed your mind at the last second and said the shop from Gremlins.

Great layout and design choices. I hope things work out for you... but looking at that I'm not terribly worried. I'll come by. :D

Fusebox

Banned
So awesome, it looks like the kind of place where I should be getting a free head-massage as I demo games in those comfy leather chairs!

Looks great and I wish you all the best. It would be awsome to sell games for a living (if your the owner).

However, in all likelyhood, this is simply going to end up as a tax rightoff for you. Between digital distribution (which is the future regardless of how you feel about it), the competitive marketplace (Gamespot, Best Buy, Walmart), and the markup on the products offered, this will probably end up as a labor of love and not a profitable enterprise.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Awesome store man. I wish it was in my area. It truly looks fantastic.

Best of luck with it!

And post some damn UPDATES!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
BuRT! said:
This place looks awesome, too bad it's like a 20 minute drive to PB from my house.

OMG, 20 minutes! The horror...

FiRez

Take this from someone that has a LAN center but imho you would need 2 things to made this a success:

a) patience to recover all the investment
b) a very good set of circumstances (place, neigborhood, security)

good luck

demifiend

Looks wicked awesome. I live out in Santee, but I'll make the drive out for this store. If you want a free pair of hands to help with some of the manual labor and such before you open, send me a PM, I'd be happy to help!

bigswords

Best of luck, it has that good clean appleish store look. Wish I was in the same country would defintely come and visit it.

20 minutes? Support crappy corporate overlords or support awesome game stores, of which there seem to be in the single digits?

HMMMMMMMM

WHAT WOULD JESUS DO

AMUSIX

I'm copying this to the first post, just in case, but we've been open a week, so far so good. Response has been great. Just did an interview with ripten.com that has a few shots of us stocked and in action. That can be found here.

Thank you all again for the responses, and the reactions, and the criticisms.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'll be stoppin by then!

I'm just about 15 minutes away... If not today I'll cruise by tomorrow...

OP, if you make an online store, let us know. i'll gladly buy from you if it means it'll help support your store. Also, open a store in Los Angeles. I'll be needing a job soon. ;)

Masta_Killah said:
OP, if you make an online store, let us know. i'll gladly buy from you if it means it'll help support your store. Also, open a store in Los Angeles. I'll be needing a job soon. ;)
Same here, I would buy from your online store if you eventually make one.
Also, if I am ever in San Diego I will be making a trip for sure.:D

There was a store in LA that tried to do this kind of thing called ACME games. Real upscale, charged a tad extra for the games, was right off the Melrose strip and all that. It opened in like 2002 or 2003 and went out of business in 2005/6. Gamestop's near monopoly has made it near impossible for independent video game stores to survive. It fucking sucks, they all go out of business, at least in a big city like LA.

That said, I hope you buck the trend and succeed. I can't stand Gamestop.

polyh3dron said:
There was a store in LA that tried to do this kind of thing called ACME games. Real upscale, charged a tad extra for the games, was right off the Melrose strip and all that. It opened in like 2002 or 2003 and went out of business in 2005/6. Gamestop's near monopoly has made it near impossible for independent video game stores to survive. It fucking sucks, they all go out of business, at least in a big city like LA.

:( Sad, but they shouldn't have opened up in Melrose. That place is for hippie hipsters. Universal Citywalk, Downtown Disney, The Grove, Old Town Pasadena, 3rd Street, or on Hollywood(at the Kodak) are much better locations.

Very nice and inspiring! Next time I'm in San diego, I'll drop by and buy a few games. Good luck with everything.

I work part-time at a Gamestop inside a mall and I can definitely see a need for stores like this around.

I'm just wondering, how's your Wii console supply? Also, be careful who you hire when you start that whole process. I've noticed that know-it-alls can really deter customers to your store and can probably ruin the vibe you're trying to set in your store. It's why a lot of people hate Gamestop/EB these days.

Belfast

polyh3dron said:

I'm not aware of the situation in LA, but AMUSIX says that there's actually a *lack* of game stores around his area, so hopefully it's filling a niche in addition to being awesome.

AMUSIX

GalacticAE said:
I'm just wondering, how's your Wii console supply?
Ha..Haha...hahahaha... Yeah...about that. Since we've been open, we've only had two small Wii deliveries, and those have walked out the door within hours. We've got one more on the way, but beyond that, I doubt I'll see any more before Christmas. Despite our appearance, we are still just a mom-and-pop retailer...which means we're way at the bottom of the wii shipment totem pole.

Also, be careful who you hire when you start that whole process. I've noticed that know-it-alls can really deter customers to your store and can probably ruin the vibe you're trying to set in your store. It's why a lot of people hate Gamestop/EB these days.
Can't agree more. People who know it all are great, people who are know-it-alls are horrible. I'm more likely to hire the person who can provide better service and better represent the store than the person who knows every game.

AKS129

Banned
There's no way you can make this work in NYC :) or actually you can ...since Gamestop has the worst straight out of hell customer service anyone selling games that actually knows how to smile and answer customers questions w/o a smirk on their face will do fine...

so hint: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS

(treat em right they'll come back)

Nightz

Awesome. I forgot about this, but I'm glad the store is finally open. I'll definitely stop by sometime if not this week, then next. Would it be weird if I came in and mentioned that I was from GAF? :D

I have a question though: Are you considering or would you consider selling import stuff as well? I don't know of any shops in the San Diego area that sell imported video game goods. It would've been nice to pick up a DualShock 3 from a local shop instead of having it shipped from Asia.

I wanted to reply since before i became a member, but good luck! Hopefully your little project here can grow, it'd sure love it. If i could buy everything and hang out at your store, i definately would, but unfortunately i live across the whole country. Good luck man!

cabel

polyh3dron said:
There was a store in LA that tried to do this kind of thing called ACME games. It opened in like 2002 or 2003 and went out of business in 2005/6.

But, don't forget the reason why ACME in LA shut down: criminal complaints were filed in federal court against them because you could walk in and buy a modded, fully-loaded-with-games Xbox right in the store.

Read the Department of Justice press release

One of the dudes became a fugitive!

I'd recommend not doing this. ;) Best of luck with the store!

eibboR

Banned
AMUSIX said:
I'm copying this to the first post, just in case, but we've been open a week, so far so good. Response has been great. Just did an interview with ripten.com that has a few shots of us stocked and in action. That can be found here.

The store looks amazing! I'm glad to here things are going well! Best of luck during the rest of the Holiday Season.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You need to open one like that in the East Coast. The closest thing to that is some place called power gamer run by a shady Korean couple who rips off kids.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Oh yes, AMUSIX... are you still looking into import games?

There still isn't ONE import spot in San Diego... :/

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
AMUSIX said:

This is, by far, the most beautiful store I've seen. What a wonderful, wonderful place to be in.

My deepest congrats to you.

GhaleonEB

Great interview and article. It sounds like the kind of games store I'd love to shop at. And I will, because I'll be in town this summer. Just make sure to stay open long enough for me to get there. :p

AMUSIX

Ghaleon, no worries, we'll still be open. After all this work, I'm not going anywhere, sales or no sales.

As for import, mentioned it in the interview, but I'm still working on finding an import distributor that I'm happy with. I'm sort of between having an extensive used section and a good import section, and would really prefer the latter.

The week has been surprisingly good, considering that we had no advertising (yet...it's coming in Pacific and Revolt, as well as coverage in a few other media...really happy with the way the Revolt ad came out..might post it when it goes to press).

I did get to hear two 'insults' today from people walking past.
"Oh, what's this?"
"Huh? it's a GameStop."
"Oh neat!"

The other just said:
"Oh, looks like an EB!"

I have to learn not to take these things personally. :)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Thanks for the update!

Hopefully if you do decide to go the import route that you'll find a good distro you'll be happy with... and San Diego will be happy :)

You don't know how many times my friends and I have had to drive up to LA just to pick up an import game on release date off impulse.... lol... Luckily the PS3, PSP, and DS are very import friendly...

Are you guys planning on putting together a website soon? I can help advertise the site/store... I already mentioned it in another forum in a San Diego centric gaming thread...

Top Bottom