• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My November Game Purchase OR My God, What Have I Done?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Congratulations on your project! It's looking seriously awesome. I don't know if it's been mentioned already but where exactly is the store's location (address) and what date are you planning to open? I live in San Diego so I'll definitely swing by and check it out!

AMUSIX

Again, thank you for the reactions. Glad to see the design is blowing away the often-cynical GAF crowd. Just wanted to respond to a few of the comments again.

The bar idea:
sounds cool, very hollywood...and very improbable. Aside from the huge differences in core building systems between a retail shop and a bar, you can't legally decide to start serving drinks/food without massive amounts of paperwork. Also, The street I'm on is home to a major nightclub/bar scene. A small bar isn't going to do anything up against the new, huge, stylish neighbor two doors down.
As for espresso, I can give it away, I can't sell it without more official papers and inspections and such.

Staff:
Ideally they'd be cute, hip, personable, knowledgeable gamers. Sure, I assume I'll get a flood of those applying for a retail job. What I do have is an application for employment that asks the applicant to list three good games for each system going back to DC. Don't care if some are left blank, just care about what actually gets put down (eg. if someone can't list any good games for any Nintendo system, or if someone only lists JRPG's or sports titles).

Tournaments:
while I dread starting these, I know I probably will. The store is designed for them, as well. If you look, you'll see that the majority of game shelves is in the back, which can be blocked off form the front of the store. During tournaments, the retail side of things shuts down, everything takes place in the front half of the store, and no access is given to the stock.

Customers:
yeah, customers can really mess up a place. Still trying to figure out a way to legally use a cattle prod if they get out of line. Keeping the place nice will be work, but I've also found that the nicer the store, the less inclined people are to carelessly wreck it.

Classic Games:
sorry to retro gamers, but this simply isn't an option. A used game store (I mean, a GREAT used game store) would require a completely different business plan and store design. A great used game store would need to have room for thousands and thousands of games, I simply cannot do that.

Az987

all good things
if we come to san diego and mention this thread do we get a discount ?

No but I wish you the best of luck with the store, it looks amazing.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
AMUSIX, this looks WONDERFUL!

Give me a part time job, I'm serious.

I live in the San Diego area as well. :)

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
AMUSIX said:
Staff:
Ideally they'd be cute, hip, personable, knowledgeable gamers. Sure, I assume I'll get a flood of those applying for a retail job. What I do have is an application for employment that asks the applicant to list three good games for each system going back to DC. Don't care if some are left blank, just care about what actually gets put down (eg. if someone can't list any good games for any Nintendo system, or if someone only lists JRPG's or sports titles).

This is an exceedingly good idea. This ensures that the people working are actually gamers who care about what they do.

I want to work there now. :( It would beat my crappy job, that's for sure.

Very cool. I'm curious if you're going to do something cool with the website, like make your inventory searchable. Also, when you do start going into the used game business, I think that it'd be very cool if you followed the same methodology for packaging the games. Plastic bag with the DVD case, and any stickers you find necessary on the plastic outer-wrap, and then a second plastic bag with the game itself and all manuals behind the counter.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just read the whole thread again.. Nice going!

We have a few gaming shops in San Diego that aren't GameStop/EB/GameCrazy... and let me tell you, they looking nothing as good as this!

I know pretty much every gaming spot in San Diego and I'd have to say by far this one looks the best out of everything I've seen.

I really do hope you'd take up import gaming into your shop too, cuz as you'd know San Diego has zero import stores. Well there's one place that sells a FEW imports, but I don't count them...

Fletcher

MarkMan said:
Just read the whole thread again.. Nice going!

We have a few gaming shops in San Diego that aren't GameStop/EB/GameCrazy... and let me tell you, they looking nothing as good as this!

I know pretty much every gaming spot in San Diego and I'd have to say by far this one looks the best out of everything I've seen.

I really do hope you'd take up import gaming into your shop too, cuz as you'd know San Diego has zero import stores. Well there's one place that sells a FEW imports, but I don't count them...

Where is this place? I've only lived here for about one year and haven't really had a chance to look for anywhere.

Tiktaalik

AMUSIX said:
Classic Games:
sorry to retro gamers, but this simply isn't an option. A used game store (I mean, a GREAT used game store) would require a completely different business plan and store design. A great used game store would need to have room for thousands and thousands of games, I simply cannot do that.

I see where you're coming from, but I think you could still offer vintage games in a classy way alongside your normal offerings. I know because I've seen it done before.

One way of doing a retro gaming store is like you say, with tons of room and tons of games, most of which being lame commons and sports titles, but another way to do it, is to offer a limited selection of excellent quality titles in excellent condition.

If you had a glass case with a small selection of really nice rare games it could be a sort of showcase attraction. This is pretty common in stores in Japan and I've seen a store in NA do it as well, where they had stuff I've never seen before, like mint condition boxed Odyssey 2 games etc. The profit margins on vintage systems are probably better than vintage games, because while people can grab systems on ebay, the shipping plays a factor. It's also easier to impulse buy a Colecovision in a store when it's right there and bundled with some great titles. Having a few vintage systems for sale would take up less space than a massive selection of games.

In the end though, the profit margins are probably better for common nostalgic stuff like Mario 3, so while the most profitable compromise might be to have a "classics" section that has only great vintage games, I can see how space would be an issue.

Slavik81

Interesting. A much, much smaller version of this sort of thing just opened up in my town.
Generally, I wouldn't normally shop there, as it's pretty expensive and I rarely buy anything for full price.

But seeing this... maybe I'll pick up AC. I'd love to keep them around.

great job, love the layout.
did you hire someone to do the overall design?
where is the store located, i would love to stop by when you are open.

Somnid

It's cool but you should really go with retro and used systems and games. This is where the bulk of money for outfits like Gamestop come from. You won't make a lot selling new games, chances are you'll get crushed under the weight of giant chains like Best Buy and it it'll be near impossible to stay competitive (you probably won't get by on looks alone). You will need to diversify what you are offering, something unique to your store.

AMUSIX said:
Staff:

First off, like everyone else has said, great job designing the store and getting it to where it is now. I wish I had a store like that to shop at around here.

Secondly, don't a lot of big brand game stores hire people who don't know jack about games simply because they want to sell everything they can, not just "the good games"? If you hire people who are very knowledgeable, are you planning just to stock the grade-A quality games, or are you going to keep it open to all games (including crap like Barbie Horse Adventures). And if you've already addressed this in the thread already, my bad.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously amazing looking store. If I was anywhere near, I'd definitely be buying there and checking out new games. All gaming stores here are so damn ghetto :\

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm in San Diego often, and as such, will attempt to visit your store often. When do you expect you'll open your doors?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Awesome store and great design, it is aesthetically pleasing especially to gamers. EBgames should be jealous. However the store isn't going to be in Japan, so you will have to deal with customers with no self respect and respect of others and their environment, so I suggest at least 3 security officers. Also expect to deal with disgruntle idiots and people with social issues.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I am a hope for the best, prepare for the worst person.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
One question (and maybe the most important) that I don't think has been asked, will you be reporting to NPD? :D

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Router said:
All I can say is to build a community around the store...

Point cards!

I really dig the store btw. You ought to have an employee recommendation rack/section like independent book stores have so that kick ass niche games (SoTC, Okami, Killer 7, etc) could get the recognition they deserve.

bdouble

Looks awesome. Definitely a Store that has a niche market in need of something like that. People always say how they don't enjoy the big chains but at the same time can't help but go there cause there isn't anything else usually. Even if there is its usually not nearly as classy as that.

Like the style and it looks like a place I would visit just to try out new games before I got them home. Something I don't even think of doing at an EB or Gamecrazy. The dog is beautiful as well haha.

I like the idea of an employee pick's section ^^. Being informed about how games are and actually knowing real release dates is one area where the Corps are so weak that its not even funny. Just a place to go and discuss new like you do on a forum like this in person would be invaluable and I think that will be the kind of place that is. A mature customer that likes to be informed of the latest "factual" announcements and news.

mr stroke

amazin design on the store :)
I was hoping the other day that someone would do something like this down the road, so I don't have to be embarised for the crap that is EB/GS...

Just make sure to-
Break streat dates-if not
then-
Midnight release for almost every game
bump up your trade in values 5-10$ more than EB/GS
sell used games 5$ less than EB/GS
imports
hire Jade Raymond as your manager

good luck

gray_fox224

mr stroke said:
amazin design on the store :)
I was hoping the other day that someone would do something like this down the road, so I don't have to be embarised for the crap that is EB/GS...

Just make sure to-
Break streat dates-if not
then-
Midnight release for almost every game
bump up your trade in values 5-10$ more than EB/GS
sell used games 5$ less than EB/GS
imports
hire Jade Raymond as your manager

good luck

I would advise against those. He does have a pay rent for property. lol

Customer service is key.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
works out well for creating tax deductions huh? ;) just gotta make sure you convince the IRS its a for profit business - good ol section 183

J-Rzez

Wow! Incredible looking store! I'd shop there for sure! (especially if you were shady to do "break-snay of the street date-say, if you get my drift) :p But yeah, Best of Luck!

Oh, hire females, topless...

zombi

Cant wait for it to open, seems like youve done what needed to be done, reevaluate how and who game stores are set up for. Seriously though Ill head down opening day, Im around the area.

nny

Yup, it's official, you can put a notice that states "GAF approved store" or "GAF Believes" when you open the store. That would give you an edge over the competition :p

Excellent job on setting the store up, I honestly hope the effort doesn't go to waste. Like it has been said before here, you should bet on being different, I mean, continuing being different. You started with the looks of the store, you should continue with what the store will offer. I think that a small selection of used and old games would be excellent. Instead of keeping 10 copies of that generic game that came out last month, you could store that great game that came out five years ago. Selecting between the used game offers you might get to buy. That would solve the problem with lots of stock you mentioned and would also be a differentiating mark, a small selection of good games (maybe hard to find?). I don't know the videogame retailer reality of the States, but I suppose those big stores keep an indiscriminate stock of old (and possibly crappy) games. You could be different in that aspect. And imports would be a perfect touch.

Besides the offer of software, you could invest in activities for the "non-gamers" that apparently are starting to see videogames as a viable option of entertainment, to help them get into this "new world". I believe the design of the store works wonders in this aspect, it gives this hobby a tasteful look, that is as valid as any other. Maybe you could invest in events to present games (WiiFIT?) and clarify stuff for newcomers.

Make it a store for knowledgeable gamers on the one hand and for older people who are getting into games now on the other hand. Maybe that would be a way to have a "better sample" of costumers.

I really loved this store idea, the best of luck with it; I would gladly help you if you sold games online to other countries.

Do keep us updated, I want to see pictures of the store when it's up and running (and of course, when that magazine rack arrives).

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Are you going to sell classic games (i.e. games before the PS2) at that store?

Because that's the #1 thing I hate about GameStop.

Yeah, absolutely, the #1 reason I greatly prefer to shop at locally owned gamestores over GameStop is that they carry older games. I frequently buy games for older systems (not just last gen, but also SNES, Genesis, N64, whatever they have in...), and greatly prefer buying things in stores to online, so local game stores which sell those things are fantastic and are the kind of gamestores I spend most of my game-buying time in. GameStop is better for large selections of used last-gen titles and PC games, though, so they do overlap... but while I used to regularly go to GameStop/EB, that has changed dramatically over the past couple of years.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would definitely shop there. I love the "Bose Store" type setup you have going there. It is likely to bring in more than the average gamer. The Demo Room is a fantastic idea, too.

(I haven't read the entire thread, but...)

Are you only selling a wide variety of old and new games at this store? I assume so, as you're going for a very trend/avant garde decor. It screams "we're not the usual." That is a very sexy proposition for the jaded gamer.

Ikael

A serious suggestion: from a financial standpoint, games are almost unprofitable. However, since you are trying to make a somehow different, unique store, I suggest you something else: sell videogame merchandaising. Mario plushies, final fantasy figurines, special editions... It has a way bigger margin of profit, and for waht I know, big stores really don-t make profit from consoles or games, but rather because consoles and games attract consumers which will buy related items. For what I am seeing, yuo will probably had a very hardcore consumer, so I think that that it could be a nice way to boost your profits. Also, push hard the videogaming rental / second hand: for what I know is way, way more profitable than selling new games.

Have all the luck in the world!

Pakkidis

A serious suggestion: from a financial standpoint, games are almost unprofitable. However, since you are trying to make a somehow different, unique store, I suggest you something else: sell videogame merchandaising. Mario plushies, final fantasy figurines, special editions... It has a way bigger margin of profit, and for waht I know, big stores really don-t make profit from consoles or games, but rather because consoles and games attract consumers which will buy related items. For what I am seeing, yuo will probably had a very hardcore consumer, so I think that that it could be a nice way to boost your profits. Also, push hard the videogaming rental / second hand: for what I know is way, way more profitable than selling new games.

Have all the luck in the world!

I have to agree with his point, Im sure you've done your homework but the majority of your profit will not be from game sales. With a store that size maybe you could fit a few more TV's and have a game tournament or such. Either way the store looks great and I wish you the best of luck.

Top Bottom