• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Pirabear

Banned
My 80GB PS3 fat randomly shut off while I was playing and the light started blinking red. The system was only on for a little less than an hour. I flipped the switch on the back and turned it back on, everything seems normal now. Is this merely an overheating problem or a precursor to something worse?

My 80GB PS3 fat randomly shut off while I was playing and the light started blinking red. The system was only on for a little less than an hour. I flipped the switch on the back and turned it back on, everything seems normal now. Is this merely an overheating problem or a precursor to something worse?

Did you see a yellow light before the red ones?

FLEABttn

Banned
My 40 gig phat kicked the bucket last night. It went strong for 5 years but succumbed to the YLOD. Got a Super Slim this morning. Shitty that they cost as much as they do.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I also bought a super slim last week.

I had someone look at my old fatty. I still plan on keeping it and restoring it. I HATE that the slim has only 2 usb ports.

Be that as it may, this guy says that the reflow method I did should have kept it alive. He thinks the PS3's video card or whatever it's called is borked. Which could be why when I originally got the YLOD, it was happening when I was streaming a movie.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Welp, it finally happened. I downloaded the latest patch for BLOPSII, ran for about 5 minutes and COD locked up. Waited for a bit to see if it would come back, then got up to turn it off when it shut off by itself. Went to turn it back on and got three beeps and the blinking red light of death.

RIP Launch 60 GB PS3.

I'll look through the thread, but if somebody has a good trustworthy guide for repair handy, it would be appreciated!

Welp, it finally happened. I downloaded the latest patch for BLOPSII, ran for about 5 minutes and COD locked up. Waited for a bit to see if it would come back, then got up to turn it off when it shut off by itself. Went to turn it back on and got three beeps and the blinking red light of death.

RIP Launch 60 GB PS3.

I'll look through the thread, but if somebody has a good trustworthy guide for repair handy, it would be appreciated!

Might as well get a slim. That one will break again eventually. :-/

I'm thinking about just retiring my 60GB since the fans just love to kick up after about 5 minutes of being on. Are Slims still out in stores? It looks like all the new bundles are the Super Slim and I'm not a fan of the look of them. Is there any reason why I would want the Super Slim over the Slim?

jobber

I'm thinking about just retiring my 60GB since the fans just love to kick up after about 5 minutes of being on. Are Slims still out in stores? It looks like all the new bundles are the Super Slim and I'm not a fan of the look of them. Is there any reason why I would want the Super Slim over the Slim?

Well the super slim sucks when loading disk while standing it up vertically. The door doesn't move on it's own. I miss the auto loader :(

Yaaarg. Mine finally died. It was an 80GB from when MGS4 first came out. I took it apart and cleaned everything and reflowed it and revived it. That was three weeks ago. Last night the YLoD came back. I think it's over. I'm going to try to revive it one more time just to back it up and deactivate my account. Any good deals on slims anyone can point me to? Looks like the UC3 bundle is the best bet right now, is that true?

About a week ago, I still saw many regular slims in a local Target. You can probably find them if you're willing to look around at stores. I wish I had gotten one, instead I decided to try to have Sony repair my broken phat. Three weeks in and I still haven't gotten it back. If you're going the repair route, be prepared for a long wait.

Adam J.

My PS3 from 07' died suddenly while downloading the Nin No Kuni demo. I would have been happy if it held out till Last Of Us, but I guess I'll have to borrow my brother's Slim to play that game.

About a week ago, I still saw many regular slims in a local Target. You can probably find them if you're willing to look around at stores. I wish I had gotten one, instead I decided to try to have Sony repair my broken phat. Three weeks in and I still haven't gotten it back. If you're going the repair route, be prepared for a long wait.

Do you remember how much they were at Target? Still $249?

falconzss

It has almost been half a year now since my Slim stopped reading discs but with E.X. Troopers arriving late last month I finally had to open up my PS3 and drive to give it one last go with some lens cleaning. Sadly it didn't work so I ordered a new laser unit.

A-FOyb2CIAAtNUE.jpg

Second optical drive dying on me...first on my launch unit and this time on my Slim.

Whelan

Banned
My PS3 froze up 3 times in a row last night. About 10 minutes from turning it on. Before each freeze i would get VERY LOUD error sound, which at first i thought was the the other players mike, but became obvious after the 2nd time it was actually the PS3.

Is this a usual story in the beginning of the end?

BMAN

I think my 60GB fat may have finally kicked the bucket. I am able to turn it on but I cannot get any video output and none of my controllers will connect to the system. I have tried the hard reset but I only get one beep and then the system shuts off. No blinking red lights tho. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

I feel like this old thread has reached that point where people just bump it to ask questions but nobody answers. BUT I'll give it a shot anyway.

After buying a new U3 bundle "super slim", I did the data transfer from my old dying 80GB. Everything looks like it went correctly, except that the XMB screen is all kinds of fucked up now. Like the animation of the BG causes these black patches to flash all over the place. Starting a game makes them go away. It's only on the XMB. Any ideas?

DangerStepp

I went to the Sony site for service on the YLOD.

How long have they had this offer to just upgrade my fat 60GB to the new 160GB for $99 vs. fixing my current one for $130 (which will probably just fail again)?

Seems like a sweet deal and the new system will probably be stronger, right?

BossLackey

Gold Member
Yep, sounds like the power supply. That sucks man :(

Hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get another and swap drives. Though I've never done that before.

EDIT: I just realized this thread is old as hell. Egg on ma face.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I went to the Sony site for service on the YLOD.

How long have they had this offer to just upgrade my fat 60GB to the new 160GB for $99 vs. fixing my current one for $130 (which will probably just fail again)?

Seems like a sweet deal and the new system will probably be stronger, right?

Will they do a transfer for you if you take the upgrade?

gl0w

After some repairs to keep my fat 80gb alive, now I think it came to an end. No more workarounds, I will buy a new slim one.

My question guys: can I take my current 320hdd and install on the new slim? It will work?

Thanks!

Zoe

After some repairs to keep my fat 80gb alive, now I think it came to an end. No more workarounds, I will buy a new slim one.

My question guys: can I take my current 320hdd and install on the new slim? It will work?

Thanks!

If you want to keep all of the the data, you have to do a system transfer. If you're okay with losing locked content you can backup to an external.

mr_chun

I feel like my PS3 is on its deathbed here. The weird thing... it's a first run slim.

Early last year (KZ3), my PS3 shut itself off. No red light, no nothing. I had to unplug the power cord and plug it back in to get the red light. Turning it back on cause me to have to sit through the file system restore while it checked for errors. This happened a couple more times during KZ3, and not with any other games. I assumed, after some perusing, that it was simply overheating.

Over time, this began to happen while playing other games. Frequency began with once every couple of months, to weeks. I put a fan near it just in case it was indeed overheating. Fast forward to today, and it's nearly a daily occurrence (especially during downloads), even to the point where it will shut off in sleep mode.

Pretty clear to me that there is some other issue going on here. Today, it happened again while it was in sleep mode. This time, it took me to the "Rebuilding Database..." screen where it has been stuck on 0% for two hours.

What do? :(

JABEE

My PS3 is getting close to death. I don't want to get a Super Slim. Are they any good? How difficult will it be to re download all of my content. I currently have a 640 GB Hard drive that I put into my original PS3 fat. Will that be transferable to the PS3 slim? Will it just reformat? If I back up my system could I move over my actual game downloads? It's going to be a pain in the ass to re download everything.

My ps3 died today. It's an 80gb MGS4 unit and it was very well cared for. I went to turn it on to watch a movie today and the remote wasn't turning it on. I walked over and touched the button and got the YLOD. There was no warning, nothing leading up to this, it worked perfect the other day.

Can I do anything without opening this thing up to try and get it to turn on long enough to deactivate it or backup a few saves?

DangerStepp

Will they do a transfer for you if you take the upgrade?
Not sure; I didn't look into it. There were no saves I had that I would cry over losing.

The only thing is third party store content for music games and the like.

You won't be able to re-download any previously bought music (say extra songs for SingStar) due to musical copyright. You'll have to contact Sony to take care of that for you.

Other than that, I'm sitting pretty on a brand new PS3.

My 80GB fat MGS4 unit died yesterday. My wife and I had just finished watching TED on Blu-Ray, and I was getting up to eject the disc, when I heard three strange beeps, and the PS3 started blinking red. I turned it off, turned it on, and just got the yellow light for a second, then blinking red. I tried numerous things to get the disc out, (holding the eject button, cycling the power...ect) but no youtube tricks worked.

Since TED was a rental and I think any fix to the PS3 would just be temporary. I disassembled the unit to get TED out. Actually wasn't that difficult to do if anyone gets a stuck disc. I just used the pics on iFixit.com to take me though the steps. I have a backup of my saves so now I'm just looking for a good deal on a new PS3. Not sure if I should go slim or super slim yet. Best Buy seems to be the only place around me that still has slims -- they go for $229.99 there.

jobber

My 80GB fat MGS4 unit died yesterday. My wife and I had just finished watching TED on Blu-Ray, and I was getting up to eject the disc, when I heard three strange beeps, and the PS3 started blinking red. I turned it off, turned it on, and just got the yellow light for a second, then blinking red. I tried numerous things to get the disc out, (holding the eject button, cycling the power...ect) but no youtube tricks worked.

Since TED was a rental and I think any fix to the PS3 would just be temporary. I disassembled the unit to get TED out. Actually wasn't that difficult to do if anyone gets a stuck disc. I just used the pics on iFixit.com to take me though the steps. I have a backup of my saves so now I'm just looking for a good deal on a new PS3. Not sure if I should go slim or super slim yet. Best Buy seems to be the only place around me that still has slims -- they go for $229.99 there.

If you stand your PS3 on it's side, the slim is the best way to go.

M3Freak

Banned
Deader than a door nail, my original 60GB is. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I got my game out though.

Tomorrow I'm going to try the hair dryer trick. If it works, the first thing I'm going to do is back everything up and then just wait for it explode again before I get a new one.

I feel like my PS3 is on its deathbed here. The weird thing... it's a first run slim.

Early last year (KZ3), my PS3 shut itself off. No red light, no nothing. I had to unplug the power cord and plug it back in to get the red light. Turning it back on cause me to have to sit through the file system restore while it checked for errors. This happened a couple more times during KZ3, and not with any other games. I assumed, after some perusing, that it was simply overheating.

Over time, this began to happen while playing other games. Frequency began with once every couple of months, to weeks. I put a fan near it just in case it was indeed overheating. Fast forward to today, and it's nearly a daily occurrence (especially during downloads), even to the point where it will shut off in sleep mode.

Pretty clear to me that there is some other issue going on here. Today, it happened again while it was in sleep mode. This time, it took me to the "Rebuilding Database..." screen where it has been stuck on 0% for two hours.

What do? :(
That one sounds like a faulty power supply or HDD.

So my 60GB PS3 just kicked the bucket yesterday. I'm currently debating what to do with it. I never broke the warranty seal, so I could do the Sony exchange, but I'm leaning toward the "super-slim" as opposed to the older slim (I don't like the idea of, say, children forcing second and third discs into the slot and being potentially unable to retrieve them...and yes, I know about the special screw on the underside).

So my question is...why does GAF seem to be so obsessed with the older slim models (CECH-2xxx/3xxx) as opposed to the CECH-4001 super-slim? Is it the "cheap feeling" of the 4001? Is it the look? The fan noise? The disc read noise? I want to understand the thinking before I make a decision one way or the other. (That means please don't just respond with "trust me on this, get the old slim" without an actual argument or conversation.)

EDIT: Bah, just picked up a 250GB SuperSlim. Not sure what I'll do with the 60GB; I'll probably have it repaired locally and sell it. Thanks guys!

So my question is...why does GAF seem to be so obsessed with the older slim models (CECH-2xxx/3xxx) as opposed to the CECH-4001 super-slim? Is it the "cheap feeling" of the 4001? Is it the look? The fan noise? The disc read noise? I want to understand the thinking before I make a decision one way or the other. (That means please don't just respond with "trust me on this, get the old slim" without an actual argument or conversation.)
As far as I can tell, the people who object to the superslim do so because they don't like the look of the ridged plastic on top, or object to the sliding tray for disc loading.

Personally I much prefer the look of the superslim to the slim, and the ability to easily get to the lens if I ever need to clean it (something that has been a major pain for me with the fat and slim) is a positive rather than a negative. On top of that the superslim is way smaller: I'm actually thinking of getting one just for that reason alone (although the fact that my slim's laser seems to be slowly dying doesn't hurt in terms of motivation either).

solarus

60gb launch unit just died :( it turns on then the light becomes yellow for an instant then it turns off. Anyway to transfer my data to a new console or a link to a fix? I'm willing to open it up.

DonMigs85

60gb launch unit just died :( it turns on then the light becomes yellow for an instant then it turns off. Anyway to transfer my data to a new console or a link to a fix? I'm willing to open it up.

Reballing or reflowing could get it working again, I think it's worth a shot.
Then you can either keep using it or do the data transfer to a new console.

I hate to be posting this-but looks like my 3rd PS3 died last night-first Slim model.

I was watching Alien on Blu-Ray and the console shut off. None of the lights on the unit were on.

If I press the power button once, the red light appears.

Press the power button again-the white lights start, as if it's booting up and then about 2 seconds later it shuts down again to a "no light" status.

Disc is in the drive, won't eject in time. I'm assuming this is a Power Supply issue? Can I easily swap it myself? I'm in the SF Bay Area if anyone knows of a repair place.

Sucks that I've spent so much money on PS3's and have had this shitty luck. I can't in good conscious buy ANOTHER model-especially with a PS4 on the horizon-and now I'm just so pissed at Sony's hardware that I doubt I'll even get that.

Dartastic

A friends fat 80 gig ps3 finally died. Unfortunately, he has a review for DmC due in the morning and he needs to finish the game. I have a ps3 slim, and not the super new redesign. Are the hard drives compatible? If so, is there a breakdown anywhere on how to take that bad boy apart, swap the hard drives and get his game? Thanks!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The second you swap HDDs it'll be formatted. Just have him log in on your PS3 and retrieve his save provided he has PS+.

Top Bottom