• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

I was playing bioshock last night and I saw something quite dreadful. Artifacts. They were brightly colored and flashing everything. I prayed to high heaven it was the HDMI cable, but I knew in my heart it was the RSX. Called Sony and they are sending me a coffin. This is my first broken console ever, I feel a bit sick to my stomach.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I got the YLOD about 5 days ago. Got my heat gun and compound and fixed that sucker. I'm leaving the top off and air dusting it daily now. On average how long does this fix last? I'm hoping it was just how dusty my ps3 was. Piles of it built up inside. Not to mention there was virtually no thermal compound left on the processor/rsx.

YoungHav

Banned
Ok, I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Sony has a known failure rate with the blu ray disk laser, right? My shit died after 2yrs, so I'm out of the warranty. They want $150 to fix this, and whatever system they give me has only a 90 day warranty... when there's a known fucking malfunction in the hardware? So I potentially have to be shelling out $150 every 2yrs because these monkeys have a shit product? Amirite!?

WTF!?
I was playing infamous today and my ps3 beeps 3 times and shuts down.
Now the thing doesn't stay on for longer than 5 mins.
Anyone know what is could be? I initially thought overheated but the fans don't spin up to MAX and it's a fairly cold day.
I might turn it back on in a few hours and back up my saves. Can anyone link me a guide on how to back up my game saves and how long does it take?
WTF? :*(

So I just got my first YLOD today.

I had just put in Babylon AD I picked up from a local RedBox and now I can't get the disk out. I'm pretty pissed because now it's going to cost me $180 or more to get the console fixed because I have to pay full price for the fucking DVD stuck in the console. The other problem is that a prepaid credit card was used to rent the movie and it only had $4.00 on it. How am I supposed to pay the full price of the movie?

If I take my PS3 apart can I get the DVD out of the drive bay and will Sony still fix the unit if the seal is broken?

GoDLiKe

CurlySaysX said:
WTF!?
I was playing infamous today and my ps3 beeps 3 times and shuts down.
Now the thing doesn't stay on for longer than 5 mins.
Anyone know what is could be? I initially thought overheated but the fans don't spin up to MAX and it's a fairly cold day.
I might turn it back on in a few hours and back up my saves. Can anyone link me a guide on how to back up my game saves and how long does it take?
WTF? :*(
Just save them in a SD Card.

sun-drop

sony need to fix at least the way ps3 deals with new HDD's

if i wnat to upgrade to a ps3 slim eventually ..i'm gonn abe waving goodbye to my saves, well for games that don't like save file moves ..

i think mines beginning to die, and ive hardly played the damn thing..... (maybe 50 hours in total?)

i was playing valkyria chronicles and in the lower left side of the screen id get a an line of green pixels (it almost looked like bad connection / or static interference), but reading this thread it sounds like its beginning its death walk, no?

its almost a year old (80G BC metal gear 4 packin sku) so im outta the sony warranty, I have a 2 year best buy warranty but....there is of course no replacement for a BC PS3 anymore.... I might just take the gift card, and sell my games (MGS4, MotorStorm, LBP, Uncharted, and Valkyria Chronicles).....man what a waste.

GoDLiKe said:
Just save them in a SD Card.

Cheers. I will do that. I have a spare 4gb duo stick.
Btw do I need to save my trophies? I attempted to back up my saves yesterday and it said something about having to save my trophies but the thing shut off before i could figure it out.
Bloody hell.. i was 8 Time Trial events away from getting platinum in Motorstorm Pacific Rift. :(((

btw btw. Anyone know what the problem might be? I think it could be a PSU issue. If it's heat, I guess I could try to reapply thermal paste and dust off my HSF. Seems the fan isn't moving, or the heat sensor isn't telling the fan to spin faster. The top of the trey gets pretty hot but the fan stays on silent.

jyx

My ps3 60gig lasted almost two years. I was afraid that I would get a newer model in return. Not the case. After two weeks I recieved a brand new 60gig. Thank you Sony and Nordisk Film!:D

jyx said:
My ps3 60gig lasted almost two years. I was afraid that I would get a newer model in return. Not the case. After two weeks I recieved a brand new 60gig. Thank you Sony and Nordisk Film!:D

Lucky SOB. My 60 gig died a couple of days ago and I had to replace it with an 80 gig. I got some extra money out of the deal (Best Buy insurance saved my ass) but I have a large collection of PS2 games I was planing on hitting up soon. That damn Yellow Light of Death sucks.

jyx

In Norway we have a two year warranty on almost all electronic devices. No need to pay extra for insurance. On the downside I payed almost 1000 dollars for my ps3 two years ago:lol

Okay guys, I got my PoS3 back, but it's a replacement unit. Different serial #.

I had a larger HD in my CECHA01 model, and kept my backup data on the original HD that came in the system using an external caddy.

Since Sony doesn't repair systems, I had to send back the original drive with the system which contained my backup data.

I have my previous PS3 system HD here; but when I connect it to my Mac it is unrecognized.

Is there any utility I can use to copy over some of my old game data, or am I just fucked?

Thanks.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Fuuuuuuuck

Was watching Iron Man (good so far, now i'm fucked!) and then the movie cut out. Reboot the PS3, wouldn't read the disc.

Wouldn't read WALL-E

Wouldn't read Ghostbusters Game

Fuuuuuuuuck

Really love how they made the my service code too long to fit in the boxes on the repair card I have to send in. Damn Sony you guys can't afford to print one extra square on a piece of paper?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Really love how they made the my service code too long to fit in the boxes on the repair card I have to send in. Damn Sony you guys can't afford to print one extra square on a piece of paper?

I noticed that too. WTF.

I sincerely hope this becomes an RROD type thing and they start doing it for free and sending refunds.

Remy

Just want to close out my experiences with a full report:

This was a launch 60GB unit, with a 250GB upgrade - that I had done without the drive caddy since I stripped the hell out of the screws. (Hey, it still worked.) Issue I was experiencing was that any optical drive media was crashing about 30 minutes in.

Opened case: 5/24 (Sunday, Memorial Day weekend)
Casket shipped: 5/27
Received casket: 5/29
Drop-shipped PS3 to Sony: 6/1
Sony receives PS3: 6/4
PS3 ships back from Sony: 6/9
PS3 received back: 6/12

So the whole process took 19 days (14 business days). The repair of the unit took 4 business days. The PS3 I got back was the exact same unit I sent in - same serial, so I won't have to go through getting my SingStar DLC reset. Optical drive is fine now, and they were kind enough to put my 250GB drive in a new caddy.

This is like night and day compared with what I had to go through for my RRoD in 2007. (Granted, I'm sure Microsoft has gotten better since then, but still.)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The Take Out Bandit said:
Okay guys, I got my PoS3 back, but it's a replacement unit. Different serial #.

I had a larger HD in my CECHA01 model, and kept my backup data on the original HD that came in the system using an external caddy.

Since Sony doesn't repair systems, I had to send back the original drive with the system which contained my backup data.

I have my previous PS3 system HD here; but when I connect it to my Mac it is unrecognized.

Is there any utility I can use to copy over some of my old game data, or am I just fucked?

Thanks.
You're fucked. The internal drive uses a proprietary file system and can't be accessed on normal PC's.

Why didn't you copy the backup folder in the backup drive to your PC before you sent it in?

Killthee said:
You're fucked. The internal drive uses a proprietary file system and can't be accessed on normal PC's.

Why didn't you copy the backup folder in the backup drive to your PC before you sent it in?

I figured it was going to be unreadable by the machine as well. :\

Oh well. No big loss.

I guess it's a good thing this generation sucks so bad so I didn't lose a whole bunch of save game data. :lol :lol :lol

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
My PS3 has started making a loud fan spinning or game disc spinning noise. I first noticed this while playing ICO (MGS4 BC 80GB sku). Is my PS3 going to die? Its pretty loud and distracting.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The Take Out Bandit said:
I figured it was going to be unreadable by the machine as well. :\

Oh well. No big loss.

I guess it's a good thing this generation sucks so bad so I didn't lose a whole bunch of save game data. :lol :lol :lol
Nope. The backup drive has to be formatted FAT32 for the PS3 to be able to use it and PC's can read FAT32 drives. The actual backup data is all split into chunks and placed under a folder titled Backup iirc.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
McBacon said:
Fuuuuuuuck

Was watching Iron Man (good so far, now i'm fucked!) and then the movie cut out. Reboot the PS3, wouldn't read the disc.

Wouldn't read WALL-E

Fuuuuuuuuck

They quoted me a £99 repair charge because its out of warranty. What say you GAF?

ShortBus

superbank said:
My PS3 has started making a loud fan spinning or game disc spinning noise. I first noticed this while playing ICO (MGS4 BC 80GB sku). Is my PS3 going to die? Its pretty loud and distracting.

All CD-ROM format PS2 games will sound like a 747 taking off.
Just something you have to get used to when playing older games.

Tom Penny

McBacon said:
They quoted me a £99 repair charge because its out of warranty. What say you GAF?

I just had to do this. It's actually pretty easy to install yourself but the laser will cost you $60 US dollars. Not sure how much that is for you. I haven't had any problems.....yet.

I was wondering if ya'll could help me.

I just bought a PS3 for 100 bucks with a dead blu ray drive, now, the Disk doesn't spin AT ALL.

you put the disk in, the little loading riples come up, but it doesn't spin the disk. Is there potential that this is a problem other than the drive itself, or should i just buy a new optical block and swap that shit out.

Speevy

Banned
I'm afraid I may have to join your ranks soon.

I pretty much know the answer to this question, but what does it mean when your PS3 makes a prolonged, high pitched beeping noise? It sounds kind of like the sound your PS3 makes when it turns on, only much louder.

It doesn't turn off and it's only happened once, but I don't trust any of these machines. Afterwards it's been fine, no problems.

So anyone experience this?

Banned
YoungHav said:
Ok, I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Sony has a known failure rate with the blu ray disk laser, right? My shit died after 2yrs, so I'm out of the warranty. They want $150 to fix this, and whatever system they give me has only a 90 day warranty... when there's a known fucking malfunction in the hardware? So I potentially have to be shelling out $150 every 2yrs because these monkeys have a shit product? Amirite!?

Is this correct? My PS3 stopped reading discs and is out of warranty. If the repaired PS3 breaks in 91 days I will have to pay another $150?

Aenima

ShortBus said:
All CD-ROM format PS2 games will sound like a 747 taking off.
Just something you have to get used to when playing older games.
Played Ico recently on my 60GB PS3 and was pretty quiet. The loud noise of the fan is from the hot weather. Summer is comming, fans will start to spin faster to cool the machine off and that makes more noise. Nothing to worry about, just make sure the console is in a well ventilated place, if you put it in a closed space it will overheat.

Aske

My PS3 died this morning. No warning at all; perfect performance until the end. I tried to turn it on, and it beeped three times, flashed yellow once, then started flashing the red light continuously. Is there any way that this could be a dead harddrive, or will I have to send the system in to Sony? I'm not crazy about making the effort since the machine was bought around launch and is well out of warranty. I'm sure it'll cost a chunk of change to fix, and there's no guarantee I'll get my system back, or even a replacement 60 GB. I'd hate to pay $150 or whatever for someone else's refurb.

Since the PS3 gets extremely heavy use in my household I might as well just buy a new $399 replacement, but it reaffirms my frustration about losing hardware backwards compatibility. I now lack the means to play SD PS2 games on my HDTV with PS3 upscaling that makes them look better than many of the Wii games on the market. That's not a dig at the Wii, but it's a fact that the Wii's aliased graphics put me off using the system. With PS3 smoothing, I had no problem going back to replay PS2 games. They may be soft, but there's not jaggy, and still very easy on the eyes.

I'll probably buy a new system, but send in the old one and hope to get a working 60 GB back.

So I just get my PS3 back from Sony (It's actually a refurb) and I get back my redbox DVD that was stuck in the system.

The only problem now is that it plays everything except PS3 games.

Does Sony not test the stuff they send out?

So, I'm doing a full format of the hard drive and if that doesn't work then I'm sending it back to Sony.. again.

This makes 3x Xbox360s and 3x PS3s.

I really hate giving this PS3 back to them as it seems to have a perfect output display too. I think my old one had something wrong with it in that regard.

AwRy108

YoungHav said:

Possibly, yes. I've had mine for over 2 years and it gets used very heavily, and it just died a few weeks ago; but it wasn't the Blu-Ray laser, it was an overheating issue.

AwRy108

Aske said:
My PS3 died this morning. No warning at all; perfect performance until the end. I tried to turn it on, and it beeped three times, flashed yellow once, then started flashing the red light continuously. Is there any way that this could be a dead harddrive, or will I have to send the system in to Sony? I'm not crazy about making the effort since the machine was bought around launch and is well out of warranty. I'm sure it'll cost a chunk of change to fix, and there's no guarantee I'll get my system back, or even a replacement 60 GB. I'd hate to pay $150 or whatever for someone else's refurb.

Since the PS3 gets extremely heavy use in my household I might as well just buy a new $399 replacement, but it reaffirms my frustration about losing hardware backwards compatibility. I now lack the means to play SD PS2 games on my HDTV with PS3 upscaling that makes them look better than many of the Wii games on the market. That's not a dig at the Wii, but it's a fact that the Wii's aliased graphics put me off using the system. With PS3 smoothing, I had no problem going back to replay PS2 games. They may be soft, but there's not jaggy, and still very easy on the eyes.

I'll probably buy a new system, but send in the old one and hope to get a working 60 GB back.

My 60GB (3 years old, now) recently failed on me due to overheating (stupidly, I had it on top of my DISH DVR unit). Sony charged me $150, I removed my HDD before sending it in (320GB), and in return I received a brand new 60GB unit with a HDD included. I noticed that the new HDD was a different brand than the one that originally came with the 60GB, so I'm hoping the Blu Ray Laser issue was resolved later on in their production as well?

Also, my friend's 60GB unit (~2.5 years old) just has its Blu Ray laser go belly-up a few months ago.

All-in-all, I am still pretty pissed that my $600 console shit out on me, especially because it sounds like the 40GB and 80GB SKU's rarely ever fail (in other words, the early adopter once again gets screwed); and it's even more aggravating b/c the replacement unit only has a 90 day warranty. However, considering the thousands of hours I've spend gaming on Sony consoles, I've never had one fail on me (I still own the original fat PS2), so I suppose I was about due. Regardless, I hope this one lasts at least until the price of a new one is under $300, because I'm now thinking that maybe it wasn't so important to snag the 60GB just to have 100% backwards compatibility (I don't even have enough time to enjoy all my PS3 games, let alone go back and play PS2 titles).

Oh, and BTW: the whole return process took less than 2 full weeks (3 days for the pre-paid coffin to arrive, 3 days to ship it to Sony, one day for them to replace it, and 3 days for it to be shipped back). Most productive 2 weeks I've had in years. LOL.

AwRy108

sun-drop said:
same reason as the 360 prob ..iron free solder. just ps3 has a better cooling system so takes longer to surface.

And all models after the launch units have better quality Blu Ray lasers and CELL's that consume less power, right?

sca2511

so my ps3 is getting pretty loud, especially when playing the uncharted 2 beta. Are there any known fixes for this, as in DIY? Re-apply thermal compound, better fan, something like that?

Another YLOD. Only had the new PS3 for 3 days.

I really hate sending this one back as the output display was just wonderful. My old one seemed to have gamma issues. It was really noticeable on games like Tomb Raider and GTA4. The new one was just spot on perfect and my old ps2 games looked fantastic wih the blaze hd disk.

Here is crossing my fingers on the next one

7 hours of gaming in a room that started out at 40c when the session began has claimed the life of my 60gb launch unit earlier today. i don't know how hot the room was at the end of it but when you walk into a room and the air you inhale is hotter than your exhale....it cant be good:lol :lol :lol my sweaty brother comes up to me and is like dude your PS3 just turned off while i was playing. yellow light for 1 sec then flashing read....ps3 dead

I'll be getting my replacement in the AM....gotta love knowing people in low places:D

Ramune

McBacon said:
Fuuuuuuuck

Wouldn't read WALL-E

Fuuuuuuuuck

This just happened to me! I was finally getting around to watching my Diebuster the Movie Blu-ray, when all of a sudden the movie just stops. I can hear the drive having trouble reading the disc, so I quit out and go back to the XMB. Now it doesn't read any discs I've put in (Kino's Journey vol. 1 DVD, Cross Edge Game Blu-ray). And the system is now out of warranty (MGS4 80GB brought on the 12th last year). I have the Best Buy 2 year replacement plan too, but I really want my PS2 BC. This is actually the first console that's failed on me. Well it still plays HD based media & games, but yeah no go on discs. I even updated to 2.80, no dice. *Sigh*
So what should I do? Call Sony, have Best Buy reimburse me for the possible $150 repair? (Is that even possible?)

Schrade

Was browsing the Playstation 3 Secrets page: http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html
(awesome depository of information that is constantly updated) and noticed that they have a link to a posting with a ton of error message explanations.

Going to post the list here, might be useful for some people:

http://www.edepot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=955
Code:
0710102 - DNS Error; No DSN server available.

8013030 - System Error due to failed update download

80010001 - Major Error , Game ability stopped

80010006 - An error occurred during the start operation (corrupted folding install)

80010007 - An error occurred during the start operation (during disc swap tests)

8001000B - it happens when trying to establish wireless connection

80010017 - Can’t start BlueRay Game

8001050B - Will not play demo hard drive games, (when blue-ray disc is inserted) - cause unknown

8001050D - An error during the start operation; Ps3 game swapped using the eject function and then play pressed quickly - ps3 game inserted again

8001050F - Hardware failure. Cannot update firmware or connect to internet.

80010510 - Will not play games installed on the hard drive

80010514 - Possibly reading blu-ray disc problem

80010516 - An error occurred during the start operation; Ps1 game swapped using the eject function and then play pressed quickly - ps1 game inserted again

80023101 - Unknown

80028E07 - which pops up when i try to update to 1.93 and says that i have been disconnected from the server

80028EA5 - User cannot connect to PS3 network

80028EA6 - Connection error , Possible Proxy error power cord. Then shut off your modem/router, for about 5 minutes, then turn the modem back up first and let it sync, then turn the router back on(if using one) and let it sync. Reconnect your power cable and flip the back switch up again. Then make a new network connection.

80028EA8 - Seems to mean unable to authorize isp account details

80028F10 - Go to Display Settings then HDMI (or whatever your connection is) and choose Automatic,

80028F17 - Ps2 disc Boot Error , An error occurred during the start operation; Ps2 game swapped using the eject function and then play pressed quickly - Backup ps2 game inserted again

80028F18 - Ps2 Disc Error, unsupported disc; eg. Utility discs, BB discs, IQ Remix game etc. ode).

80028F19 - PS2 Disc Error , fsck; the internal PS2 disk got corrupted and I guess that you can use HDD utility disc to fix it

80028F1A - Ps2 Disc Error , invalbnnetcfg; network config error

80029023 - Exchanging Key Information exchange has timed out

80029024 - “The attempt to obtain an IP address has timed out”.

80029301 - An error occurred during the delete operation (attempting to delete some ps2 homebrew from virtual mem card)

80029501 - connection

80029509 - When the PSN network is down for maintenance.

80029513 - This content cannot be accessed on your account (80029513)

80029516 - Sign in to PLAYSTATION-Network (needed for some games or Ps3 processes - have to sign in to use them)

80029564 - Downloaded game will not install

80029751 - warhawk wont start but eveything else seems ok

80029945 - Can’t playback burn BD movie

80029946 - Attempting to play burnt Dual layer NTSC disc on a PAL ps3 ( workarounds is to transfer files to ps3 via TVersity )

80029C68 - Corrupt data usually on external device

8002A10B. It shows up when I try to view my friends trophies, profile etc.

8002A10D - Unable to Add friend in XMB

8002A4A6 - Cannot load game to play online

8002A515 - Error Signing in

8002A524 - connection

8002A548 - Unable to remain logged in - either to game or server

8002A705 - Unable to connect to server/host. Check router port configuration.

8002AD23 - Unknown

8002AD3D - Cannot Log into PSN - Is the PSN down? Try manually configuring your PS3 IP info. Try disabling medai server connection in the PS3.

8002B241 - DVI has no audio.

8002B71A - Possible NAT Error , Can log onto Game Server but can’t join game and can’t host game

8002F994 - Too many people downloading the update (download it later on)

8002F997 - Can not update XMB firmware

80030001 - Deleting messages from inbox

8003041F - An error occurred during the copy operation (using media server)

80030517 - It seems to happen when you copy large media files.

8003051E - Game will not save

80030920 - An error occurred during the copy operation, the file may be corrupt or there isn't enough memory (Try copying data from original source)

80031150 - "Setting information is corrupted.Press the x button to repair and restore default"

80031601 - Error Creating Account

8013013D - “A connection error has occurred” - May be to do with the SSID of the Router or signal strength if the connection drops Putting the PS3 into DMZ may help - otherwise check WPA key Ps3 can’t handle WPA2 only WPA or none

8013013D - connection

8013013E - WEP Key error, change WEP key to all numbers (on router homepage) and try agian, or which to WPA. - Otherwise disable security

80130203 - PS3 connects to internet but not to network - Typically means that the required ports are not open to connect to store but PS3 can connect to internet.

8013030F - Access Point not detected

8041040F - Communication with the server failed. A dsn error has occured.

80410418 - DNS Error

80410A0B - Internal PSP error, hardware fault. Send back to be replaced/fixed.

80710016 - Playstation Network is down.

80710092 - “An error has occurred. you’ve been signed out from the ps network” , "Media Server Error: A network error has occurred (80710092)"

80710101 - Connection error

80710102 - IP conflict , PS3 Cannot connect to the router with current IP information - Try rebooting your router

807101FF - An error occurred during communication with the server. This is a DNS error - This is a DNS error

8071053D - Hard boot the PS3, turn off the PS3 to stand-by, flip off the back switch and completely remove the power cord. Shut off your modem/router, for approx. 5 minutes, then turn the modem back up first and let it sync. Then turn the router back on (if you're using one) and let it sync. Reconnect your power cable and flip the back switch up again. Then make a new network connection

80710541 - The connection to the server timed out.

80710723 - Possible Port Error - Try opening ports , TCP port: 80, 443, 5223 and UDP port: 3478, 3479, 3658. or add Ps3 to DMZ

80710A06 - An error occurred during the install operation (error when downloading game from PSN - network error occured

80710B23 - PS3 Network is Down or PS3 Network is too busy to respond

80710D23 - Turn the PS3 off for approx. 30 minutes with the power toggle, not standby mode

81019002 - Error copying saves from location A to location B not open to connect to store but PS3 can connect to internet.

My buddy's 60gig just bit. Won't read a lot of blu ray discs, and on infamous he can load the game up but he has to stay in the same one block radius because it won't stream the data it seems. :lol

Anyway, $150 repair, not so funny.

Remy said:
Just want to close out my experiences with a full report:

This was a launch 60GB unit, with a 250GB upgrade - that I had done without the drive caddy since I stripped the hell out of the screws. (Hey, it still worked.) Issue I was experiencing was that any optical drive media was crashing about 30 minutes in.

Opened case: 5/24 (Sunday, Memorial Day weekend)
Casket shipped: 5/27
Received casket: 5/29
Drop-shipped PS3 to Sony: 6/1
Sony receives PS3: 6/4
PS3 ships back from Sony: 6/9
PS3 received back: 6/12

So the whole process took 19 days (14 business days). The repair of the unit took 4 business days. The PS3 I got back was the exact same unit I sent in - same serial, so I won't have to go through getting my SingStar DLC reset. Optical drive is fine now, and they were kind enough to put my 250GB drive in a new caddy.

This is like night and day compared with what I had to go through for my RRoD in 2007. (Granted, I'm sure Microsoft has gotten better since then, but still.)

Did it cost $150? Or were you under warranty?

Top Bottom