• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Woo, my self-repair appears to be successful! Oh, and I didn't see those two heat pads either, Sentry. I'm backing up the hard drive now, so hopefully everything will turn out okay. I've read that reflowing is only a temporary fix, so I'm tempted to trade it in toward a slim while it's still working. I hate giving up PS2 BC though. I have to say, gilksy's guide and Youtube videos are great--actually watching someone take it apart step by step made me much more confident.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So my unit arrived Monday and was sent back Monday due to arrive tomorrow. Guess it's what was said earlier in the last page. It will last at least a few months right??!?! Never had a refurb unit of anything.

I'm gonna trade up for a Slim come February.

noah111

Still Alive
TelemachusD said:
Woo, my self-repair appears to be successful! Oh, and I didn't see those two heat pads either, Sentry. I'm backing up the hard drive now, so hopefully everything will turn out okay. I've read that reflowing is only a temporary fix, so I'm tempted to trade it in toward a slim while it's still working. I hate giving up PS2 BC though. I have to say, gilksy's guide and Youtube videos are great--actually watching someone take it apart step by step made me much more confident.
Nice, congrats. Unfortunately things didn't go so perfectly for me. :( Started up the PS3 and the same thing happened. What does this mean exactly?

Did I not put enough thermal paste on? Doubt that, so did I overheat the main board? Hope not.. could it just be that the power box is fried, ie nothing to do with reflowing the system?

FUCK this sucks, see you in a month+ Uncharted 2. ;_;

diddlyD

Banned
i just took my 3 year old launch 20gigger apart and cleaned out all the dust + reapplied thermal paste. the fan had been getting louder lately and i was getting worried about heat. sure enough it was a bit dusty and the old thermal paste was dry and had started flaking. now the system is quiet again, like when it was new. hopefully a preemptive fix to any problems. i did the same thing with my near launch xb360, removing the xclamps before any problems popped up, and so far so good.

Oni Jazar

Oni Jazar said:
Has anyone been able to get their PS3 activation "token" (for lack of a better term) back from Sony?

When my 60Gb PS3 died I was not able to deactivate the system. Unfortunately when I sent the system to Sony they gave me a refurb back. Now I've effectively lost an activation for PSN. Was anyone able to call sony to get it back? It sucks to have to lose that since it's their system that failed (and I had to pay for the repair).

So no one has tried to reclaim their activation?

xinoart

Banned
Sentry said:
OK, Wait a fucking minute.. i'm looking at some old launch unit PS3 disassembly videos and images and as far as I can tell there are no heat sink pads on those two pairs (4) of chips!;

Can anyone confirm this for me? Here was looking up my ass for those things.

Wrong. I have a launch 60 gig and those chips definitely come with pads.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Oni Jazar said:
So no one has tried to reclaim their activation?
They will deactivate your main activation. So if all your shares are gone you can still have access to your account. I just called to have my main reset.

Sentry said:
Nice, congrats. Unfortunately things didn't go so perfectly for me. :( Started up the PS3 and the same thing happened. What does this mean exactly?

Did I not put enough thermal paste on? Doubt that, so did I overheat the main board? Hope not.. could it just be that the power box is fried, ie nothing to do with reflowing the system?

FUCK this sucks, see you in a month+ Uncharted 2. ;_;

Nooooo Sentryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

That sucks man Uncharted 2 is awesome. (Sure you already know :( )

noah111

Still Alive
Digital-Hero said:
Nooooo Sentryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

That sucks man Uncharted 2 is awesome. (Sure you already know :( )
sad-face04.jpg

Thanks for making me feel better like shit.

xinoart said:
Wrong. I have a launch 60 gig and those chips definitely come with pads.
Err, so you're telling me the PS3 in those old disassembly vids had invisible pads or...

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
small update on my tripple..

I paid PSR today, it came to $109, they said it will be shipped out tonight or tomorrow back to me, so, it took them a little over a week to fix it, if i get it next week, it'll be ~two weeks total. I asked them what they did and turns out they replaced the whole Blu Ray drive. I was going to do that myself with one from ebay, but they were $102 dollars, and that's not to say my daughterboard would have worked b/c i didn't know if that was the problem in the first place (the NAND on the daughterboard has to match the motherboard).. If it is bad, you have to reflash it to the new board... i think.. I guess that's what they had to do.. SO, it would have been a bitch for me to do myself.

SO, i paid 7 bucks more, but at least it's fixed, and now i get a warranty, albeit short (90 days).

so far, i guess they've been okay, but i still don't have it spinning Uncharted 2 in my living room :-(

noah111

Still Alive
Where did you get your PS3 fixed?

I want to try and find someone who will fix mine for the cheapest possible price, especially because I think that they'll have to do more than the 'simple' YOLD reflowing fix.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
I got mine fixed at PSR1.com

I had torn the thing apart about 3 or 4 times in the meantime, and, wasn't real nice to it due to extreme frustration (i need to work on that)... So it was well worked over, but they still took it in and apparently (hopefully) fixed it. I just checked my tracking and it is in transit, should be here Monday... I didn't want to lose my upgraded HDD or saves or whatever, you get your own PS3 back... If they can't fix it, i think you still pay, but they send you a refurb.

They charge 109 flat fee, whatever is wrong with it... I called them first though to make sure they covered my fix under the flat rate. I think i made out pretty well. They do have good customer service, every call i made they answered first ring, and i can just tell their CS girl is cute.. I was able to know what was going on while they were fixing it..

it was a gamble, but so far so good.

noah111

Still Alive
Thanks, that sounds very good actually.. but I was wondering how much they'll charge me on top of the $109 flat fee if they need to actually replace something physical inside?

It sounds good to me, better than the $150 fix from Sony, plus they might not even fix my system if they need to swap out something inside, hopefully these guys can.

Also, are you sure when they send it back to you that the game you left in your BR drive and all the contents that were on your HDD will be totally intact? Keep me updated bro. :D

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
no problem.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up. It was so miserable when it left here i just didn't see it wanting to be with me any longer:D . Just made painful clicks and flashing lights at me.

It takes longer than they say, but, still, a week isn't too bad turnaround. I'm not sure about YLOD, might want to call them if you do decide to. It's a common problem so i figure they might, i didn't think they'd do NAND flashes, etc., but when i called and asked, they said no problem.
They're legit though. they said it was going out today and they were true to their word.
If i can get it fixed for the same as it would have cost me to do it myself, i'm happy.

xinoart

Banned
maybe. I just know I have a launch 60gig and mine has them. I don't see why they wouldn't. they could be on the outer chassis though. some stick to the chips some to the chassis. it's kinda random.

superfly

Just tried to turn on my ps3 and I heard a little crackle sound and now it wont turn on at all. Is it possile the fuse is blown in the power lead, or is it a much worse problem? :(

AndresON777

shooting blanks
dralla said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYSTATION-3-R...3ca37a6453&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1564wt_940

cheaper than Sony, longer warranty, and you'll get to keep all your stuff because you get the same system back.

figure I'd give these guys props for fixing my baby. The whole process took about 2 weeks. You pay the 25 bucks up front for them to check whats wrong with your thing. I also purchased the shipping from them cos it's cheaper. paid them $14.99 for the fed ex shipping label (ground). I had a big box and got some bubble wrap from walmart to make sure the ps3 was secure. wrapped that shit up like crazy lol. Mailed it to them and it took about 4 days to get there from atlanta. Dude lives in utah I think he may be morman or something but they were really nice cos I called alot.

They got my thing and within like 2 days told me the power supply was bad. I had gotten the dreaded YLOD 2.5 years after buying the bad boy. I paid them 60 bucks for them to fix it and they mailed it back to me, took about 3 days getting here. Prolly woulda took less time but christopher columbus held me up.

Got it yesterday and I already had uncharted 2 ready to go. Shit runs great now, still pretty hot so I'm worried I might have to get it reflowed or whatever but I had it on all day yesterday and it ran real smooth-like. I figured uncharted 2 would push that shit hard. Also had it on browsing youtube and other stuff and it's working well.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the 85 bucks I paid those dudes. Cost me 19 to ship it with the fed ex shit and bubble wrap. So like 55 bucks cheaper than sony and the best thing is my system was exactly like it was before it got YLOD'd. Kept my files, my bluray movie inside it and everything. Pretty stoked. It has a 4 month warranty so I hope the mofo doesnt break again, well at least until I've passed uncharted 2.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So Uncharted 2 started to freeze really bad. First once in the museam, then again in Borneo, now several times in Nepal. For whatever reason, Sony 1st party games = death to my PS3, 3rd party games, no problen. I got Brutal Legend as well and it never froze like Uncharted did. SO I've sent my system off for either the repair or swap. I've heard they tend to repair the 20 gigs since they don't have the stock to swap them.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
My PS3 died while playing the first Uncharted on 3.00, complete lock while loading, laser killed.. which i hear was pretty common. I read somewhere that w/ the release of the slim, they programmed an increase in laser wattage/voltage for the newer games into the firmware for 3.00, which older PS3's can't handle and drop like flies... not sure to believe it.

Sony really needs to get their shit together though. seems like they'd be recouping losses on intital hardware w/ repairs... I'd be lying if i didn't admit i'm very wary of playing Uncharted 2 on my repaired PS3, not b/c of the repair though... I almost don't want to play it, and that is not right.

I didn't want to give Sony my money any more than i have, 18 months of ownership until failure is just unacceptable. I just hope PSR gave me a fresh repair and it's a bit more robust this time around....

noah111

Still Alive
AndresON777 said:
figure I'd give these guys props for fixing my baby. The whole process took about 2 weeks. You pay the 25 bucks up front for them to check whats wrong with your thing. I also purchased the shipping from them cos it's cheaper. paid them $14.99 for the fed ex shipping label (ground). I had a big box and got some bubble wrap from walmart to make sure the ps3 was secure. wrapped that shit up like crazy lol. Mailed it to them and it took about 4 days to get there from atlanta. Dude lives in utah I think he may be morman or something but they were really nice cos I called alot.

They got my thing and within like 2 days told me the power supply was bad. I had gotten the dreaded YLOD 2.5 years after buying the bad boy. I paid them 60 bucks for them to fix it and they mailed it back to me, took about 3 days getting here. Prolly woulda took less time but christopher columbus held me up.

Got it yesterday and I already had uncharted 2 ready to go. Shit runs great now, still pretty hot so I'm worried I might have to get it reflowed or whatever but I had it on all day yesterday and it ran real smooth-like. I figured uncharted 2 would push that shit hard. Also had it on browsing youtube and other stuff and it's working well.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the 85 bucks I paid those dudes. Cost me 19 to ship it with the fed ex shit and bubble wrap. So like 55 bucks cheaper than sony and the best thing is my system was exactly like it was before it got YLOD'd. Kept my files, my bluray movie inside it and everything. Pretty stoked. It has a 4 month warranty so I hope the mofo doesnt break again, well at least until I've passed uncharted 2.
Very awesome, thanks for the heads up. My YLOD story is nearly identical to yours, owned the system for about 2.5 years and think that the power supply is my problem (reflow didn't work).

Better than the PSR1.com repair deal IMO, I think i'll be giving this one a go instead. :D

Ovid

Recently, I have noticed my 60GB PS3 has freezing/crashing more than usual while playing CoD4 and BF1943. Is this something to be worried about?

tarius1210 said:
Recently, I have noticed my 60GB PS3 has freezing/crashing more than usual while playing CoD4 and BF1943. Is this something to be worried about?
That's how my died :/
Started freezing every now and then and at the end it would freeze when doing anything. (update for example). Sent it back and got new one.

My launch 60gig died Saturday evening. Switched itself off and gave me a flashy red light while I was using PS3media server. Left it a bit and it turned back on... few a few minutes before going off again. Now i get the yellow light before the flashy red one.

Thankfully I have Continuous Play..... just gotta find my original HDD before they come take it away

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I think my laser is dying, games are taking much longer to load and uncharted 2 is skipping on fmv's and audio all the time. [i caught up to the loading of the map a few times too]

shit sucks as i've already shelled out $150 for a YLOD fix. :( im thinking of getting a slim as i know any refurb i get from sony will probably be a YLOD refurb with a half dead laser that'll last less then a year like this latest one has. :\

fuck, can't do it until january tho.

Dirk Shmiggler said:
My PS3 died while playing the first Uncharted on 3.00, complete lock while loading, laser killed.. which i hear was pretty common

A similar thing happened to me but in Uncharted 2. The near final cutscene just crashed and discs haven't been loading since. After much deliberation I decided to trade in a stack of my old, unused games and hardware which will cover around 80% of the cost of a new 120gb slim.

In any case I'm going to investigate a self repair of my original PS3 and probably sell it off if it's successful. Not sure where I'd start, someone just suggested replacing the entire bluray drive as it's much easier than fiddling with the laser. Any pointers as to where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

I traded my self-reflowed PS3 toward a slim. I could have gotten more for it online, but would have felt bad about selling it to somebody knowing it was going to fail. At least with Gamestop they'll have a month to return it. When I tried to restore my backup, it got to 99% and then failed, so I updated the slim's FW to 3.01 and tried again. I don't know if that was the problem, but it successfully restored the second time.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
ALRIGHT!!!..:D

I got my repaired PS3 back today from PSR1.com... It works great so far... The drive seems quieter than the old one some how, seems like a new blu ray drive, very smooth and less mechanical noise. I guess i'm going to try Uncharted here in a minute.. I'm still a bit scared to. Everything with the system is how i left it. all my saves are there, and all my DLC too. I can tell they tested it with a game b/c it has Unreal Tournament 3 data on the drive, but, i don't have that game... So i'm glad to know they put it through its paces...

I have a warranty, a working PS3, and they even polished it up for me. I didn't think it was my PS3 at first b/c it looked brand new....

Uncharted 2 will be this weekend, i held off on getting it b/c i didn't know if i'd ever have a PS3 again.

i can recommend these guys... Cost less than Sony, works like new, and all my stuff is there.

So I was watching a DVD last night and the PS3 abruptly died (40GB model). I tried turning it on, but it seems that there's no power getting to the console at all (i.e. no LEDs lighting up). I'm going to check that the issue isn't the power cable, but I'm thinking the power supply has gone kaput.

I called Sony Australia and it seems that they charge $250 for out-of-warranty repairs. At that price, I'd rather just get a new one. Does anyone know how easy it is to do a self-replace on a power supply in the PS3 and how easy it is to get parts?

EDIT: Something just occurred to me - does the PS3 have an internal fuse? I didn't hear any popping or anything, but if it's just something like that I'd prefer to just fix it myself.

Mana Sin

Hey fellas, my launch console stopped working around a year ago and I was wondering if you guys could help me find a diagnosis. In month or so prior to the final 'death' of the system, the XMB icons would warp, making them look as though the upper right corners were cut out, or smooshed unto the rest of the image. Around the same time as this was happening, I was playing the GH: Aerosmith demo. About 75% of the time I played it, the stage was a mess; The band turned into giant globs of silver with strange multicolored beams shooting off into the camera and off the side. This made playing very annoying, but I had foolishly assumed it was a problem with the demo, not my console.

Eventually this problem would appear in other games, such as DMC4. Dante would have strange tendrils floating off him whenever I walked around slowly, and the environment seemed rather hectic around the edges. Shortly afterwards my Ps3 simply wouldn't show anything. After repeatedly switching the machine off and on, I could get it to load to the XMB for a moment, only for it to freeze. I assume its a problem with graphics engine, as I could still hear the 'tick-tick' of the screen moving about the icons when I fiddled around with the analog stick.

Other times I turn it on the screen will simply turn either black or white, sometimes show the Ps3 logo, and slowly fade a bit as red pixels pop up all over the place.

The general consensus is the house is that this is entirely my fault for leaving the Ps3 on for about a month or longer as I made a play through of FFVII during the school year. Our best guess is that some chip or another over-heated and just finally decided to go kaput.

Does this sound fixable? I have a new 80GB system I bought a handful of months ago, but I would love to have my Ps2 backwards compatibility back.

Ovid

Nolimit_SS said:
That's how my died :/
Started freezing every now and then and at the end it would freeze when doing anything. (update for example). Sent it back and got new one.
Fuck.
I have a feeling its gonna die while I'm playing MW2...I just know it.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I called Sony Australia and it seems that they charge $250 for out-of-warranty repairs. At that price, I'd rather just get a new one.
That sucks. My friend in Australia refuses to pay that price. He got a 360 instead.

Hi guys I was wondering if someone could help me out, I've had my 40gig (I think) Ps3 for about 20 months now with no problems, not used it all that much mainly for Blu Rays.

Anyway yesterday whilst playing Uncharted 2 the game froze at a cut scene, now the PS3 doesnt seem to read any discs.

I'd just recently updated to the firmware required for U2, am I scrwed, I don't particulary want to pay £120 for a refurbished used Ps3 at this stage.

If its goosed I'm thinking my best bet may be to sell it on ebay for whatever I can get and get me a 120gb slim. If it wasn;t for u2 I'd just get a blu ray player if cheaper to be honest.

any advice?

xinoart

Banned
Jeff Albertson said:
Hi guys I was wondering if someone could help me out, I've had my 40gig (I think) Ps3 for about 20 months now with no problems, not used it all that much mainly for Blu Rays.

Anyway yesterday whilst playing Uncharted 2 the game froze at a cut scene, now the PS3 doesnt seem to read any discs.

I'd just recently updated to the firmware required for U2, am I scrwed, I don't particulary want to pay £120 for a refurbished used Ps3 at this stage.

If its goosed I'm thinking my best bet may be to sell it on ebay for whatever I can get and get me a 120gb slim. If it wasn;t for u2 I'd just get a blu ray player if cheaper to be honest.

any advice?

I know here in the states you can buy a new blu-ray laser for your PS3 anywhere between 40-75 US. It's a simple (relatively) replacement and it'll save you a ton in the long run. If you sell on e-bay, that's exactly what the buyer will do. It's up to you. Personally I replaced my laser since it was out of warranty so there is no harm-no foul by doing it.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Mine bit the bullet over the weekend. First it bombed out when I was watching a DVD. It turned back on after that, and I backed up all my important saves (except Demon's Souls, stupid locked save.) The next day during a game of Brutal Legend, it shut off, never to turn back on again. I was able to get the disc out via a method I read about online (shut off the power switch on the back, hold down the eject button, and turn it back on - it turned the fans up to super high and let it live for a few seconds, enough to eject it.

I've been pissed, of course, but I submitted the form to Sony. I don't trust these repair shops, it might work for awhile, but even the people that made those Youtube videos admitted that theirs failed within several months. At least with Sony there's always a small chance that they'll refund the money if they get with too many complaints/lawsuits.

I wrote a bit about this on the front of my website and a lot of people still seem to think that that YLOD stuff isn't a big deal at all. How frustrating.

entremet

My 60 Gigger is down for the count. I turn the system on it works for a few minutes and then the light turns red, starts flashing and three beeps go off. From my research online it says that it is an overheating issue. Does anyone know if this is permanent? Should I just let it cool down for a day or two? Kinda sucks I just got Uncharted 2. Oh well.

Sony replaced my 60gb unit, however the replace unit went dead on me in about 3 days - YLOD. I've been waiting to get my 2nd replacement. I swear, this just as bad as Microsoft.

So I've been playing Demon's Souls the past few weeks, but today I went to turn on my PS3 and my monitor that I play it on switches to HDMI, telling me that it's getting the signal. I check to make sure everything is plugged in, and it is. Restart it, unplug everything, reset the video setting, the whole nine yards.

Am I out of luck, or is this a somewhat common problem? It's well ventilated and has been sitting idle for a few days now.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
entrement said:
My 60 Gigger is down for the count. I turn the system on it works for a few minutes and then the light turns red, starts flashing and three beeps go off. From my research online it says that it is an overheating issue. Does anyone know if this is permanent? Should I just let it cool down for a day or two? Kinda sucks I just got Uncharted 2. Oh well.

Yeah, that's pretty much the YLOD. (There's a brief yellow light that flashes before it starts blinking red.) Sorry. :\

I just ordered my coffin from Sony. $150 is way too much for this, but I don't trust a lot of the repair shops.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I have kind of a strange problem. I have a first gen 60 gig ps3 that sometimes plays ps2 games sometimes not. Some games it plays consistantly, some games it plays sometimes but not other times, and some titles it won't at all. I have tested the ps2 games on other bc ps3s and they work fine. So I sent mine in to http://www.ps-pros.com . Hopefully they can fix it.

Arthursw1

TelemachusD said:

The same over here my PS3 80GB with BC (Oct 2007) YLOD on me a little more than 3 weeks ago, then i followed the gilksy's guide and worked fine for a little more that 1 week then while playing uncharted 2 the thing just YLOD again, thank god that by bother has another PS3 and i was able to finish the game, well i finally fixed and RE-FLOWED my PS3 again; it's working but i found that it's getting hotter sooner that before (fan got nosier), I'm also very tempted to trade my PS3 towards a slim but PS2 games look like crap using the original PS2 on HD screens, it there a permanent fix or my only option is to trade it for a slim?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just got mine back today, a 20 gig and its the same unit I sent in. They only had it a day or so and they billed me the $150. I don't know what they did, this service receipt doesn't say. Uncharted 2 still freezes but after googling the issue it seems there are some freezing issues with the game on all skus, not just chapter 25.

Benedict

Sometimes my PS3 gives out a loud "high" beep when playing a game or watching video.
Only one beep and nothing else, the game or video keeps playing.

Why is that happening?
Something to do with the HDD?

I have a 40GB PS3 model with a 250gb HDD.

For some months ago I also got a blinking yellow light a couple of times but not anymore.

entremet

discoalucard said:
Yeah, that's pretty much the YLOD. (There's a brief yellow light that flashes before it starts blinking red.) Sorry. :\

I just ordered my coffin from Sony. $150 is way too much for this, but I don't trust a lot of the repair shops.
Honestly, I'm just gonna get a slim. This gen really sucks for hardware. This also means that I'm going to have to get a new PS2, as I still played games for that system, using the 60 gig's BC functionality.

Has anyone here had to repurchase PS2 after just giving up on getting your 60 gig unit repaired?

Last Thursday I was playing Trine on my PAL launch PS3 (played for several hours though that is not unusual if only idling in LwP etc.) and it suddenly shut down while I was not even playing but chatting on the PC.

classic ylod, couldn't do anything about it (e.g. waiting till it's cooled). yellow light, blinking red light, no access to service menu etc.

I don't have a heatgun or a proper screwdriver (I actually used pliers for my HDD upgrade :lol ) so I would have to wait for my buddy (with said tools) to return home next week.

But I could not just wait so I used a hair blower to successfully resurrect my not opened PS3 :lol

I put the hair blower about 5-7cm away from the back of the disconnected PS3, pointed at one of the ventilation slots. After about 9 minutes (don't know how much time is necessary, depends on the power of the hair blower anyway) I pointed it at the second ventilation slot on the back.
I waited till the PS3 cooled down (you can feel the heat on every ventilation slot) and connected it again (didn't move the console during the whole heating+cooling process).

It worked! BUT the PS3 shuts down again when heated up AND playing a demanding (=PS3) game at that moment. I can watch videos in the XMB and updating games etc. for hours w/o a problem but during actual gameplay and if the PS3 is too hot, it shuts down.
But not with a ylod so I could just turn it on again. Though today I had the ylod again but also fixed it again with the hair blower (actually I don't know if it still has the same problem because for testing I had a fan pointed at the PS3 to keep it at a cooler level and could play PS3 games just fine).

Getting it on once again was all I wanted for now, because I needed to deactivate my and my buddies' accounts and back up my data like screenshots and most importantly the savegames of the last months.
I don't think the hair blower trick can really harm the console so I would suggest trying it because it's quick and doesn't require you to open your PS3 (so especially good if you want to backup stuff but still have warranty or are afraid of damaging the PS3 during the later repair process).

I guess I will still open my PS3 for the proper reflow and to clean out the 2.5+ years of dust in it.
btw: does anyone know if the hair blower method/heating burns away the flux as well and I should do the fluxing guide, too?

Is there a way to get the PS3 repaired by SCEE and to get the exact SAME unit back? Otherwise I think I will pay <150€ more and just buy a Slim (with it's advantages over an old PS3 model) and keep my kinda working old PS3 for PS2 BC and my few PS3 games with copyprotected savegames (if both things continue to work... maybe after the proper reflow fix ^^).
I really don't like paying for a repair/new unit after this short amount of time and I may even stick to my ylod PS3 if it works again w/o restrictions (don't know if I'll be afraid it could ylod again forever or if I lost my fear of the ylod now due to this quite easy fix. Not being able to backup the latest data is basically the only thing I would hate).

and no, I don't expect high tech multimedia electronic devices to ALL work 100% and for many years but IMO 2-3 years of heavy usage is just too short. My PS2 survived the last gen and my 5 year old PC is used daily and much longer than my PS3 and it never ylod'ed on me ;P
Actually today's consoles should last longer with all of these copy-protected savegames online account stuff etc. If my PS2 would have died on me replacing it would have been no big deal at all :/
The solution of the HDD etc. on the 360 is kinda better in that regard though on the other hand you can't back up the data in case the HDD dies or you loose the compete console for whatever reason.

Dartastic

I just got the YLOD on my 60 gig. This is my first dead PS3, but I'm on number.. 8 with M$? I suppose this is an improvement? The bad thing is, this one isn't under warranty... it was actually a Gamestop refurbished console. =( I'M SICK OF THIS CONSOLE GENERATION.

So I took my triple apart last night and opened up the power supply. Turns out I was right and there was a fuse in there and as I suspected, no blown caps. Trouble is that Sony hate me and they not only soldered it in, but also made sure it was rubber-coated, so I need to do a short circuit test with a multimeter before I can confirm that this was the problem in the first place.

Bought a multimeter and a pack of M205 fuses today (3A 250V), but I'm having a bit of trouble locating a soldering kit. Apparently, the local equivalents to Radio Shack (Dick Smiths, Tandy, Jaycar) etc. don't sell them anymore. I have a free soldering iron and a roll of self-fluxing solder, but it's a huge mother of a thing and I'm not sure if it'll be appropriate for such fine work.

I also bought a surge protector to make sure it doesn't happen again. I won't attempt to fix it tonight (at least while I attempt to track down a proper soldering kit), but wish me luck.

J2d

Mine just died, YLOD. I'm not sure if I'm gonna get a new one but seeing as I can't find a reasonable priced regionfree blu-ray player yet and need Hokuto musou I guess I have no choice, bah.

Edit: What's the easiest way to get the disc out btw?

J2d said:
Mine just died, YLOD. I'm not sure if I'm gonna get a new one but seeing as I can't find a reasonable priced regionfree blu-ray player yet and need Hokuto musou I guess I have no choice, bah.

Edit: What's the easiest way to get the disc out btw?
Power off, attempt to turn it on and very quickly press the eject button. Sometimes, you get just enough runtime to succeed.

Speevy said:
If f*cked had a flag, those would be the colors.

I'm waving the same flag.

Launch PS3, 60gb with BC.

Not technical enough to repair. Will just sell locally and buy a Slim.

And miss my save games and the videos I put on it DEARLY.

Top Bottom