• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Toski

Alright, I finally nutted up and called Sony customer support for my ps3 slim. Something's wrong with the wireless card and it's coffin is on the way.

SecretBonusPoint said:
It rotates it on the way in. So...shit. That is a difference. I might just buy it with the deck anyway as the prices are identical and see if it works that way, if not swap out the deck and...oh god even just typing this makes me want to cry.

No advice? I've ordered one with the deck anyway. Will try it on it's deck, if that doesnt work, take it out, put the old deck out and just put on the new laser? Shouldnt fuck anything up now should it? I'll be able to see what the difference is between KEM-400AAA and my KEM-400ACA visually when I can put them side by side I hope.

Feeling mentally drained. Absolutely hating this hobby at the moment :/

SecretBonusPoint said:
No advice? I've ordered one with the deck anyway. Will try it on it's deck, if that doesnt work, take it out, put the old deck out and just put on the new laser? Shouldnt fuck anything up now should it? I'll be able to see what the difference is between KEM-400AAA and my KEM-400ACA visually when I can put them side by side I hope.

Feeling mentally drained. Absolutely hating this hobby at the moment :/
I would probably do the same. Good luck.

So I've done all of the safe-mode system restore options, including doing the full hard drive format/restore that takes a couple hours. Still has the same issue: xmb runs fine, games off the harddrive run fine but the disc drive doesn't recognize any type of disc. Discs go in, doesn't make any weird noises but nothing ever shows up on the xmb or auto-plays. Really frustrating. Last chance to help me gaf before I blow $300 on a slim :(

(60 gig fatty)

Spooks

So I got the YLOD the other day. I'm gonna send out for the coffin but I'm wondering what to do about my HDD.

I'm not able to wipe it because I can't turn the PS3 on so I was wondering if you can send the PS3 without the hard drive and they just send you one back with out a hard drive?

Anybody happen to know?

Jrmint

Alright GAF I need your help please.

So I'm playing FFXIII last night and all of a sudden the game music goes away. At first I thought this was the game so I continued. About 10 seconds later the game froze, and subsequently the PS3 froze. I turned my PS3 back on and it did not recognize the disc. So I took it out, put another one which it recognized and then put FFXIII back in and it recognized.

Started playing again and after a few minutes did it again. I decided to let it rest for the night, and then today I was playing for about a half an hour and it did it again.

Has anyone ever experienced this? and do you think Sony would give a shit? I really want to find some way to save my console since it is the old 60 gig full BC version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, ty.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Skel said:

So I'm playing FFXIII last night and all of a sudden the game music goes away. At first I thought this was the game so I continued. About 10 seconds later the game froze, and subsequently the PS3 froze. I turned my PS3 back on and it did not recognize the disc. So I took it out, put another one which it recognized and then put FFXIII back in and it recognized.

Started playing again and after a few minutes did it again. I decided to let it rest for the night, and then today I was playing for about a half an hour and it did it again.

Has anyone ever experienced this? and do you think Sony would give a shit? I really want to find some way to save my console since it is the old 60 gig full BC version.

Sounds like your Bluray drive is on its way out. You're obviously out of warranty if this is a launch 60GB so your choices are to call Sony and expect to pay at least $150 to fix it, or try replacing the drive yourself. Others here have done this, and could point you in the right direction for how-to's.

Jrmint

$150 would be better than paying $300 for one that isn't BC. If I ship them my 60 gig would they replace the Blu Ray drive do you think and ship it back, or just send me a new console?

In the meantime if someone could post a link as far as replacing the drive I'd appreciate it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Skel said:
$150 would be better than paying $300 for one that isn't BC. If I ship them my 60 gig would they replace the Blu Ray drive do you think and ship it back, or just send me a new console?

In the meantime if someone could post a link as far as replacing the drive I'd appreciate it.

I believe they only send you back a refurb (not new) of the same model of your current system if the one you send in is completely dead (ie...YLOD). If the system itself still boots up, etc...they may only replace the drive and send you your same system back. To be safe, if you do send yours in i would totally backup all of your saves first.

Jrmint

Is YLOD - Yellow Light of Death? I haven't seen that happen, and the system boots up fine.

I wonder if that Maxwell Blu-Ray Lens Cleaner people have posted here before may do the job.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Skel said:
Is YLOD - Yellow Light of Death? I haven't seen that happen, and the system boots up fine.

I wonder if that Maxwell Blu-Ray Lens Cleaner people have posted here before may do the job.

Yes, YLOD is the 'yellow light of death'. Another thing to consider...and im not trying to scare you here....but i would say 90% of the YLOD cases are launch 60GB units. So, worse case scenario, you could pay $150 to get a new BD drive in your current system through Sony, get it back (all sony repairs come with a 90 day warranty), then 4 months later you YLOD. Sony most likely will tell you you're out of luck and make you pay $150 again to send it in...this time almost certainly you would not get your original system back.

So to me its a gamble...how much is PS2 compatability worth to me, vs just biting the bullet and spending the $300 for a new, redesigned system that most likely does not have the same (unproven, but likely) design defect that causes the system to YLOD around the 2-3 yr mark. Plus, you could always pay an extra $30 (if you buy from Target or Walmart) or so and get an extended warranty with your Slim thus protecting you for 4 years. By that time im sure PS4 will be out...

Also, I think Sony is still doing that thing where they'll let you trade in your broken PS3 for a slim for like $115. So when you send them your system they give you the option to get a slim back instead of your original console for a reduced price. They are probably running low on the older systems.

george_us

Went to play some FFXIII and my I got the dreaded green, yellow, then blinking red light of death. Hooray! 60 gig system here.:(

If I keep the HDD, will Sony still take it? I have no way of backing up my saves at the moment and I don't want to lose them. Also, my FFXIII disc is stuck in there. Will they return it to me?

Right, well my KEM-400AAA laser arrived today without me knowing (Recorded Sign For Delivery apparently also means "just jam it in post-collection box outside flat" who knew :lol)

and it seems just identical to this KEM-400ACA part thats in mine. I can see no visual difference at all, so I'm gonna start off by just swapping the whole decks and seeing if that will work. DON'T CHANGE MODEL NAMES FOR NO REASON SONY.

If this doesnt work I'll have to take out the new deck, remove the laser, put that onto the old deck and install that which will be a fucking ball-ache, so am hoping this will sort it from the start. What a fucking ride this has been :/

Awww man, the only difference in this KEM-400AAA from the 400ACA seems to be the brown ribbon cable on the back.

Old 400ACA ribbon cable shape:
4i0d3m.jpg

New replacement 400AAA ribbon cable fitted poorly for the moment:
2lw53b8.jpg

The newer one doesnt curve round to clip into the grooves and into its slot, rather it just straight up. If I put it under the big fat blue cable it could get snagged on the moving laser part, if I put it over it might be touching the metal of the back of the drive tin. I have no idea what the brown ribbon cable controls so no way of saying if just putting it in like this is a good or bad idea. Any thoughts, anyone?

SecretBonusPoint said:
Awww man, the only difference in this KEM-400AAA from the 400ACA seems to be the brown ribbon cable on the back.

Old 400ACA ribbon cable shape:
http://i43.tinypic.com/4i0d3m.jpg[IMG]

New replacement 400AAA ribbon cable fitted poorly for the moment:
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2lw53b8.jpg[IMG]

The newer one doesnt curve round to clip into the grooves and into its slot, rather it just straight up. If I put it under the big fat blue cable it could get snagged on the moving laser part, if I put it over it might be touching the metal of the back of the drive tin. I have no idea what the brown ribbon cable controls so no way of saying if just putting it in like this is a good or bad idea. Any thoughts, anyone?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure the brown ribbon cable controls the motor that moves the lens back and forth. You can see it connects to the little round thing on the side attached to the gold turning thing. I think it would probably be okay if it was touching the metal on the back of the drive case. It's only exposed at the end contacts, but if you want to be extra sure, you could tape some paper or plastic on the inside of the drive case where it would touch.

Tell you what, this has been such a shitty experience of wrong parts, failure and whatever that I'm not going to take a "risk" and I'll swap the lasers. At least we now know what the difference between the 400AAA and 400ACA is! Its a fucking different shaped and unremoveable brown ribbon cable! YAAAAAAY! Update all your shitty info charts gentlemen!

All the guides for replacing the laser itself seem to suck ass though, especially the one at the Blu ray.com forums, just skipping out any depth for the clearly most fiddly part of swapping out brackets and rods on the unit itself.

Massa

HEEEELLLLPPP!

I replaced the lens on my PS3 using this guide. Now it seems it's not aligned as it won't read OR eject the disc.

What should I do now?

Massa said:
HEEEELLLLPPP!

I replaced the lens on my PS3 using this guide. Now it seems it's not aligned as it won't read OR eject the disc.

What should I do now?
Did you close it all up before you tried it? I would leave the top of the drive cover off while you insert a disc (with power on, obviously) so you can see what's happening.

Classic24

Banned
My 80 gig MGS4 bundle PS3 is still working like its new, it is fairly dustly, and it does kick in the fans even if im just in the XMB but oh well, the only issue is the heat is makes is quite noticeable and the fan noise, NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES THOUGH

Carlisle

Classic24 said:
My 80 gig MGS4 bundle PS3 is still working like its new, it is fairly dustly, and it does kick in the fans even if im just in the XMB but oh well, the only issue is the heat is makes is quite noticeable and the fan noise, NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES THOUGH
Well there's an optimistic report. I have the same model and it does the same stuff you mentioned. No issues, either. My bro got a slim and it runs pindrop silent and cool even after hours of play. SO jealous. I keep tempting myself to get one eventually, but I love my BC.

Massa

CrayzeeCarl said:
Did you close it all up before you tried it? I would leave the top of the drive cover off while you insert a disc (with power on, obviously) so you can see what's happening.

Well, I opened it and messed a bit with the loading mechanism (with my dad's help) and it seems to be working.

For anyone replacing their lens I'll recommend this guide instead of the one I posted earlier, it should help you avoid having the problem I had: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mfQLol0sKg

4r448p.jpg

IT LIVES!

The metal casing of the blu-ray drive scraped my raw flesh from the absurdly tight screws that required wrenching into activity and drew blood that dripped down onto it. I am convinced the machine did not require a new blu ray laser, it simply required MY BLOOD :lol

I used this guide in the end : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQRah3wzspM

Taking off that part and sliding the rod was a lot easier than fucking around with the metal brackets.

Oh man, its finally over..

SecretBonusPoint said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/4r448p.jpg[IMG]

IT LIVES!

The metal casing of the blu-ray drive scraped my raw flesh from the absurdly tight screws that required wrenching into activity and drew blood that dripped down onto it. I am convinced the machine did not require a new blu ray laser, it simply required MY BLOOD :lol

I used this guide in the end : [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQRah3wzspM[/url]

Taking off that part and sliding the rod was a lot easier than fucking around with the metal brackets.

Oh man, its finally over..[/QUOTE]
It only does human sacrifice! :lol

Glad you finally got it working, man.

lupinko

Oh a bit of interesting news that maybe of interest to many of you.

My fat PS3 came back to life yesterday and I was able to get my JP FFXIII back.

It Only Does Resurrections™.

Fox1304

I Need a little help :)
I'm trying to backup my saved PS3 in order to transfer to a new one.
But all I have now is a 8gb usb key...
What can I delete from the console to fit in this key ? I need 2825Mb less according to the backup utility.

expy

Banned
Fox1304 said:
I Need a little help :)
I'm trying to backup my saved PS3 in order to transfer to a new one.
But all I have now is a 8gb usb key...
What can I delete from the console to fit in this key ? I need 2825Mb less according to the backup utility.
Delete Game Data (Not Game Save Data), Movies that that be re-downloaded, demos, music etc.

Fox1304

Yep, I deleted the Game Data. Didn't think they were copied in the backup.
Backup complete. Hope I'll be able to get everything back on track.

Thanks anyway !

(daaaaamn 3h30 for a complete HDD format, that's hard when it's already 1AM :( )

Massa

When replacing the thermal paste what do you guys use to clean the processors and cooling system of the old one? I'm trying to find Isopropyl alcohol but no luck so far.

Schrade

Massa said:
When replacing the thermal paste what do you guys use to clean the processors and cooling system of the old one? I'm trying to find Isopropyl alcohol but no luck so far.
Go to a grocery store and find the aisle where they have cold/flu/antacid/etc. That's where Isopropyl Alcohol will be.

A.R.K

Since my 80GB PS3 was showing signs of aging I thought it would be a good idea to go trade-in for slim at GS. I backed up every thing (took about 2 hrs), deactivated the accounts and formatted the HDD. Got my slim and happily started the restore process. WTF it took just 5 mins to restore. I was like thats kinda weird. Well I find that it only restored fucking game saves and some account info. Also I found out that my Demon's Soul, KZ2 saves are not there!!!!!!! FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKK !!!!!! DS soul level 60 gone down the drain!!!!!!!! :(((( I am so fucking pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why the fuck did they lock the game saves ... you MOFOs!!!! I put in so many hours in to DS and now I have nothing!!!!

And I thought it would restore all my demos and PSN games since the fucker took 2 hrs to back up but now I find that it only restores the game saves and account info if you restore on a different PS3. WTFFFFF Sony !!!!!!!!!!!! why not fucking tie it with the account that backed up. Fuck now I have to download every thing again. At least fucking state the facts when I am backing up so I could have known this shit.

Every thing else I can live with but losing my DS save ... FUCK! I am not sure I can start all the way from the begining now :'(

Azerach

Banned
A.R.K said:
Since my 80GB PS3 was showing signs of aging I thought it would be a good idea to go trade-in for slim at GS. I backed up every thing (took about 2 hrs), deactivated the accounts and formatted the HDD. Got my slim and happily started the restore process. WTF it took just 5 mins to restore. I was like thats kinda weird. Well I find that it only restored fucking game saves and some account info. Also I found out that my Demon's Soul, KZ2 saves are not there!!!!!!! FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKK !!!!!! DS soul level 60 gone down the drain!!!!!!!! :(((( I am so fucking pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why the fuck did they lock the game saves ... you MOFOs!!!! I put in so many hours in to DS and now I have nothing!!!!

And I thought it would restore all my demos and PSN games since the fucker took 2 hrs to back up but now I find that it only restores the game saves and account info if you restore on a different PS3. WTFFFFF Sony !!!!!!!!!!!! why not fucking tie it with the account that backed up. Fuck now I have to download every thing again. At least fucking state the facts when I am backing up so I could have known this shit.

Every thing else I can live with but losing my DS save ... FUCK! I am not sure I can start all the way from the begining now :'(

It's as if i have read this exact same message dozens of times before.

MGR

A.R.K said:

No, you failed.

Restore your backup to the 80GB, then use the data transfer utility to get your data off your 80GB to your new slim.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html

Hyphen

A.R.K said:

Did you not initially have the option of doing the straight PS3 to PS3 data transfer utility? Or didn't you know about that option?

A.R.K

Azerach said:
That won't help him at this point, he already traded his 80gig to GS... He is truly fucked now.

259v1ut.gif

Hyphen said:
Did you not initially have the option of doing the straight PS3 to PS3 data transfer utility? Or didn't you know about that option?

No I did not know that the backup doesn't restore every thing on a new PS3. Also I traded-in my old for the new PS3 so the transfer was not an option. But since I did this just yesterday, if GS still have my 80GB PS3, would they let me do a restore and then transfer it using PS3->PS3? Would that solve my problems?

My new Slim gets here tomorrow.

Never had a chance to deactivate the Phat, the video card died all of a sudden. All my saves, etc have been backed up, but man, I have so much catching up to do...

RE5 DLC
U2
Heavy Rain
God of War 3

My first actual backlog. Ah well, least I won't be seeing random ass lines and blue flickers everywhere...

Wazzim

Banned
Skel said:

That's not your PS3, it's a bug in the game.
More people seem to have those problems, even on 360.

Jrmint

°°ToMmY°° said:
yep, 120 dollars.
Shit.. I may have to do that.

As for the last poster, yea I know it is a bug in the game, but I really do not see SE releasing a patch anytime soon to fix this, and I have 50 hours+ into my game and I wanna freaking finish it. From what I've heard most Slim users are in the clear, and then I'll have a fresh new system.

Sigh.. Idk what to do.

lupinko

Wazzim said:
That's not your PS3, it's a bug in the game.
More people seem to have those problems, even on 360.

I've never experienced that problem on either one of my FFXIIIs (JP and Asia, really it's just two JP copies since the original Asia release is just the JP version with slightly different packaging).

Jrmint

lupinko said:
I've never experienced that problem on either one of my FFXIIIs (JP and Asia, really it's just two JP copies since the original Asia release is just the JP version with slightly different packaging).
It's not a very widespread problem, but it still is a problem with the game. If you google "Final Fantasy XIII freezing" you'll see quite a few links, as well as a few youtube videos.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
My launch import 60GB is dying. I don't mind paying the $150 to fix it if necessary, but will they send me another JPN system? I'd be pissed if they sent me a normal US 60GB.

EDIT: Yes I'm in the US.

tiddles

SecretBonusPoint said:

lol, coincidentally exactly the same happened to me last week - cut my finger on the metal casing of the drive... the PS3 innards swallowed the blood and seemed hungry for more :D

Dartastic

So it turns out the reason my 60 gig ps3 has been dying is because the power supply was on it's way out. Dude I gave it to for fixing already charged me 60 for the reflow, and will charge another 30 for the power supply. At this point I'm conflicted. Do I send it to Sony for 150 for fixing (I live in Oregon) or do I get that new power supply and use it, or do I get the new power supply and trade it in? Help gaf! I'm also unemployed, so cash is a huge issue.

Top Bottom