• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Methodis

Banned
JB1981 said:
I think this is what you get for trolling the ever-loving shit out of the 1Up threads.

Trolling? I didn't know stating an opinion is considered Trolling, unlike what you're doing right now ass.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, you can officially add me to the list,

Freezes during the boot sequence, corrupted graphics

Guess I get to call tomorrow

Sucks, I just got Amped and Call of Duty 2 too

speculawyer said:
Get the extended warranty. When it breaks, you get a new one.
No. For one, the Xbox 360 should be having a 1 year warranty just like PS3 and Wii. Nintendo or Sony isn't charging me to have a year warranty. MS offering a 90 day warranty, along with trying to get people to buy warranties from them, already tells me they have little faith in their hardware and knows for a fact it's not made to last long.

If my 360 breaks again and MS wants me to pay, I'm done with 360 (until a massive price drop). I'm more of a PlayStation fan anyway, and I shouldn't have to deal with this crap with a console company I don't support much at all.

Lonesome_Raod said:
My 4th is about to go. Keeps freezing up with a chequered pattern on the screen. Began happening on Gears today but slowly beginiing to happen on other titles.

Yep . . . that's the first stage. Wow. You got me beat by a long shot. I'm only on my third.

BUY THAT EXTENDED WARRANTY FOLKS!

siamesedreamer said:
Anyone know if there is any evidence as to which position (vertical vs. horizontal) is best for making it last longer? My old one was positioned horizontal, but I've bought a new cabinet that allows it stand vertical.

I don't think there is any problem with either orientation. However, with the unit horizontal, you might have things slide over and block the air intake. I think that is what happened to my last dead unit . . . a DVD box set migrated its way adjacent to the the xbox 360 and blocked the air intake. That may have helped accelerate the demise of that box.

Here is my question . . . have the xbox 360s become any more reliable? The shrink hasn't happened yet. I understand MSFT will fix any pre-2006 units for free . . . but has MSFT done anything to fix post-2005 units?

Methodis

Banned
Mana Knight said:
No. For one, the Xbox 360 should be having a 1 year warranty just like PS3 and Wii. Nintendo or Sony isn't charging me to have a year warranty. MS offering a 90 day warranty, along with trying to get people to buy warranties from them, already tells me they have little faith in their hardware and knows for a fact it's not made to last long.

If my 360 breaks again and MS wants me to pay, I'm done with 360 (until a massive price drop). I'm more of a PlayStation fan anyway, and I shouldn't have to deal with this crap with a console company I don't support much at all.

Also people like me who live in small towns and have to buy from wal-mart don't have the ability of a warranty or an extended warranty. (Are you the same Mana Knight from XG/CC/Modojo?)

EDIT: Also i gave up with the disc drive. Going to talk to them tommorrow. Here's hoping I don't have to "accidentally forget" my brothers christmas gift this year because MS has to set me back $150 on ****ing christmas. And heres to hoping I get it back by christmas.

Methodis said:
Also people like me who live in small towns and have to buy from wal-mart don't have the ability of a warranty or an extended warranty.

Bullsh!t. MS offers you an extended warranty right there in the box.

McCrank

Hehe, the display XB360 at my local target is currently suffering from the 3 red lights of death :) Made me chuckle when I saw it.

-Chris

Methodis said:
Also people like me who live in small towns and have to buy from wal-mart don't have the ability of a warranty or an extended warranty. (Are you the same Mana Knight from XG/CC/Modojo?)
Yes. I remembered who you were.
speculawyer said:
Here is my question . . . have the xbox 360s become any more reliable? The shrink hasn't happened yet. I understand MSFT will fix any pre-2006 units for free . . . but has MSFT done anything to fix post-2005 units?
IMO, they seem to be slightly more reliable, but there's still a problem with them breaking down. Although it probably won't work, I signed every petition I could to have MS recall the 360.

bigswords

speculawyer said:
Bullsh!t. MS offers you an extended warranty right there in the box.

They dont have extended warranties in Singapore :(

I know the the threads is like 20+ pages long but is the Xbox 360 really that bad? I heard that there was an update on the cpu manufacturing to 60 nm. Does anyone know which manufacturing date of the Xbox 360 has the updated hardware?

Odysseus

Banned
Mana Knight said:
IMO, they seem to be slightly more reliable, but there's still a problem with them breaking down. Although it probably won't work, I signed every petition I could to have MS recall the 360.

I think Microsoft is well within the 3-5% defect rate for new technology if you move the decimal place.

bigswords said:
I heard that there was an update on the cpu manufacturing to 60 nm. Does anyone know which manufacturing date of the Xbox 360 has the updated hardware?

I don't think that starts until next year. :-(

Mareg

My drive started making crazy huming sound yesterday while reading discs. I had to crank my sound system +10db just to be able to hear the damn game. Guess my days are counted.

Oh well, it gave me good gaming since lunch day. Its an october 2k5 system. Guess I was lucky in a way lol.

regs

I don't really get to play games as often as I used to, long story short, college and a fulltime job. I've had my 360 since launch. I went to turn it on an hour ago, and got the 3 red lights. I was shocked because I never had a problem before. I called up customer service and he said I had a warrenty, extended. I didn't purchase a extended warrenty. I asked him if this was the warrenty that MS had offered to launch 360 owners because of the high failure rate, and he said he's never heard of it. So I just said, well then I guess I bought an extended warrenty and forgot :lol. I'm getting it fixed for free, but I was wondering...

I read on gamespot about MS extended their warrenties for launch xbox 360s, was the rep just dumb, or am I using someone elses warrenty who didn't enter their serial correctly and just got really lucky?

regs

dskillzhtown said:
Mine is a 2005 system as well! Manufactured Oct 2005. I am calling those jokers back!!!

lol mine is also, and I have to pay shipping, and find my own box, could be worse though

rs7k

Hmm. I just got red lights for the first time, just while booting it up. I booted it again 10 minutes later and it works fine.

Weird :(

rs7k said:
Hmm. I just got red lights for the first time, just while booting it up. I booted it again 10 minutes later and it works fine.

That may be the beginning of the end.

Have you had crashes that leave a checkerboard type of pattern on the screen?

regs said:
lol mine is also, and I have to pay shipping, and find my own box, could be worse though
A MS rep told me they started charging on Monday. So luckily, I called a day before it.

I called back, to see if I was getting free shipping and I was. The MS rep I got this time to speak English well, so I asked him a whole bunch of stuff the other guy didn't, so I got everything straight. Next time I get someone I cannot understand, I'll just call back later.

rs7k

speculawyer said:
That may be the beginning of the end.

Have you had crashes that leave a checkerboard type of pattern on the screen?

No. I have constant graphical glitches in PGR3 if I play for more than 3 minutes, and the same thing's happened once in both NHL07 and Dead Rising. Those two games work fine now.

It's working good now (apart from PGR3) though which is why it's so strange. Something else though. My 360 is set vertically and today my controller showed up as the second quadrant instead of the first.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
rs7k said:
No. I have constant graphical glitches in PGR3 if I play for more than 3 minutes, and the same thing's happened once in both NHL07 and Dead Rising. Those two games work fine now.

It's working good now (apart from PGR3) though which is why it's so strange. Something else though. My 360 is set vertically and today my controller showed up as the second quadrant instead of the first.

I thought everything was okay too. The problems stopped, then BAM! Everything stopped working permanently....:(

Kingpen

rs7k said:

Dude.... just go hock it at gamestop now and buy a new unit if you don't have the extended warrenty. 180 in store credit is a lot better then nothing...... Mine had the same symptoms, but I got rid of it before it could croak on me....

dskillzhtown

Kingpen said:
Dude.... just go hock it at gamestop now and buy a new unit if you don't have the extended warrenty. 180 in store credit is a lot better then nothing...... Mine had the same symptoms, but I got rid of it before it could croak on me....

I got my box from M$ today to send my 360 back. I thought about doing what you suggested, but with the holidays coming up, I will just get a free one from M$ and maybe do that in the Spring, after Christmas shopping for everyone else.

gsarjeant said:
If you buy an extended warranty, does it transfer to replacement units?

Yeah, you just have to write a letter to Microsoft and tell them to transfer your warranty from your old box to the new one using the Serial ID #. I did it once already and might do it again since my box is currently in the shop. It's ridiculous. I sent it in Oct for 3 red lights. They fix my actual box (same id #) but this time the dvd drive doesn't read my games or dvds anymore. What the hell? Should get it back this week hopefully.

regs said:
I don't really get to play games as often as I used to, long story short, college and a fulltime job. I've had my 360 since launch. I went to turn it on an hour ago, and got the 3 red lights. I was shocked because I never had a problem before. I called up customer service and he said I had a warrenty, extended. I didn't purchase a extended warrenty. I asked him if this was the warrenty that MS had offered to launch 360 owners because of the high failure rate, and he said he's never heard of it. So I just said, well then I guess I bought an extended warrenty and forgot :lol. I'm getting it fixed for free, but I was wondering...

I read on gamespot about MS extended their warrenties for launch xbox 360s, was the rep just dumb, or am I using someone elses warrenty who didn't enter their serial correctly and just got really lucky?
MS is replacing all 2005 systems that die, there wasa big story on it!

basically, if it's from launch, your warranty is until they stop deciding to be nice and fix launch units...

rs7k

Kingpen said:

I've already plunked down the $60 for an extended warranty from MS. I would have bought it at a store instead of ebay if I knew MS' service was crap.

Not too bad though, since I did get a brand new Core for around $250 CDN.

Besides, if I trade it in, what happens if it does crap out and the unlucky buyer returns it?

Kingpen

store can't do anything to you if you give them a croaking unit, but it passes through their preliminary tests before they accept it. My gamestop played it for almost 7 minutes before they gave me the credit....

rs7k

Kingpen said:
store can't do anything to you if you give them a croaking unit, but it passes through their preliminary tests before they accept it. My gamestop played it for almost 7 minutes before they gave me the credit....

I guess I would just need them to not play PGR3 lol. I would look like a damn fool if it glitched before they accept it.

blahness

well mine got the 3 red light ring of death tonight... no warning. Everything was running fine up until i tried to turn it on just now. I got mine at costco in june and it has a mfr. date of march 24 2006. i guess i will be calling costco tomorrow :\

Harmonica

Well, my 3rd 360 just died. This one last 2 weeks.

My first one was around from February until November 7th.
The second one lasted from November 7th to November 24th.
November 24th until December 8th :(

This is the last time Wal-Mart will instantly exchange it.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that the house I'm living in is pretty old.
Maybe the wiring is doing it? Should I maybe get an UPS and connect it via that just to protect it? Is there anything else I could run it through to protect it from getting too much or too little juice?

dskillzhtown

I got my box to send my broken 360 back. It was weird as the lady I talked to claimed I had to send it myself, pay my own postage, etc. So I called 2 days later and the guy who answered said that a box was on it's way to me. Regardless of all that, I am sending it in and hopefully will get a fixed one back next week.

rs7k

I just got red lights again, this time I was playing Gears of War for a good intense hour and a half. It just shut off and showed me red lights. Strangely enough, my DSL modem flaked out at the exact same time, with red lights too.

shpankey

not an idiot
add me to the list. i had a launch unit. i got the three red lights last night. i had got them a couple times before, but nothing a reset didn't fix. but last night, they wouldn't go away.

this morning, it worked again for about 15 minutes, but alas, it hasn't worked since. i get the 3 red lights every time.

also, i got a weird almost static looking screen when it first failed on me this morning.

how do i get this replaced?

shpankey

not an idiot
typhonsentra said:
I can't believe so many of you are having these problems. Mine's fine and hasn't given me any trouble.
it wasn't long ago i was thinking the exact same way as you. :(

ypo

Where are the so called gaming *journalists* doing some investigative *journalism* on this issue? Like maybe try finding out how many packages goes to the repair center every day.

frunty

JB1981 said:
Let it sit for a day or two. I know people whose systems have fixed themselves after having this happen. Their systems have been fine several months since.
Let it sit for a couple of weeks and it's still toast. The good news is that people seem to be paying ~$100 for busted ones on eBay, so I'll get something out of it. After the chips go to 60nm I'll jump back in, but damn, never has anything so expensive failed so quickly on me before. We even have a 20 year old Sony Trinitron that's still kicking in the basement.

sad360.jpg

dskillzhtown said:
I got my box to send my broken 360 back. It was weird as the lady I talked to claimed I had to send it myself, pay my own postage, etc. So I called 2 days later and the guy who answered said that a box was on it's way to me. Regardless of all that, I am sending it in and hopefully will get a fixed one back next week.
Yeah, the same happened to me, so I called back (got a person who could actually speak English) and heard shipping was free.

I just sent out my 360 yesterday. MS is paying for 3 day select shipping, so they won't receive my 360 until Wednesday at the latest. I'll continue to update, since I'm curious as to when I'll get a 360 back.

Top Bottom