• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Dave Long

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
If I get a new one, I am buying the warranty through Best Buy so I can just walk in and get a brand new system. The Core aspect allows me to keep the hard drive in the future if I need to turn in a defective system to Best Buy.

It really seems crazy to me to reward Microsoft with another console sale when your first one is dead.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dave Long said:
It really seems crazy to me to reward Microsoft with another console sale when your first one is dead.
That's part of why I'm not too keen on doing something like that. It's not like I can make a difference - it's hardly stickin' it to MS if I request a replacement as opposed to buying a new one - but both Microsoft and EB/Gamestop are profiting huge off of all the people who are.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
shpankey said:
you gotta sync them up. on your 360 system itself is a little white button, hit that, and when your green lights start circling then you hit the little button on your wireless controller.

Huh.

I know that theres a little white button on the controller, I didn't know there was one on the 360 itself. I must've totally missed that. I'll check that after work today. Thanks, mang. :D

Odysseus

Banned
Dave Long said:

It certainly doesn't seem kosher, but when you really want to play 360 games and Microsoft provides less-than-adequate support, what are you going to do? Of course, an attempt must be made at balance. If you buy another 360 and, in effect, reward Microsoft for their lousy hardware reliability, you should also adopt a kitten from the local animal shelter or go out and feed the homeless.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Odysseus said:
It certainly doesn't seem kosher, but when you really want to play 360 games and Microsoft provides less-than-adequate support, what are you going to do? Of course, an attempt must be made at balance. If you buy another 360 and, in effect, reward Microsoft for their lousy hardware reliability, you should also adopt a kitten from the local animal shelter or go out and feed the homeless.

If the repair gives me issues, then I will go out and buy a Core simply because is is not worth the hassle and I absolutely do not want to lose the ability to play the many X360 games I currently have and look forward to having in 2007.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Dave Long said:

C'mon Dave. Playstation "Disc Read Errors?" Dreamcast "Please Insert Dreamcast Disc" problems? Xbox "Code 42" messages? Faulty hardware happens. You either:
A. get it fixed.
B. sell everything for said console and say "Screw that company. I'll never buy anything yada yada."
C. get a replacement console.

TurboFool

I called back today, ready to continue the battle, this time playing the Fall update card (which is accurate, as I realized most people who complain of the Fall update bricking their systems found it to be a quick decline, not an instant dead system, and mine died only a few days after the update was applied). This time I got a rep in America instead of India, though, he walked me through much better testing (still dead, though), before informing me it would have to be repaired. He then said my system was under warranty, so I would only need to pay for shipping and a box. Of course I'm thinking, "WTF?" at this point, because my system was manufactured in March, and purchased in April. It's not still under warranty, as was made clear by the last rep I spoke to. I, of course, didn't say a word about this, though, and let him continue.

So he gave me all the shipping info, reference number, everything. I then asked him if I'd be getting my unit repaired, or a refurb, and he said my unit would be repaired. I then asked what the warranty on the repair is, and he said it would probably be 90 days, but if not, then 30 days. He then paused, as though reading something on the screen, and said that since my current warranty isn't up until March of 2007, though, that it'll be good through that anyway.

So how my March '06-manufactured system suddenly got extended from 90 (or 180) days to a full year, I don't know, but boy am I relieved. I can handle shipping.

Bricked launch 360 reporting for duty. I was playing Viva Pinata on Friday night and the game froze when I tried to load my game. I powered the unit on and off and I got the three red lights which indicate a hardware failure. My 360 was dated 10/15/05.

I called MS and they said that they would repair the unit at no cost. I sent it off on Saturday morning UPS 3-Day Select. That coupled with the repair/ship back time means that I am going to be without a 360 just in time for me to get all of my holiday 360 games.

I knew that since I had such an early launch unit it was bound to brick out on me, however since it had been going strong for a while I figured I'd dodged a bullet. I guess these things really are screwed up.

I am hoping I will get a new console, but I expect tp get a crappy refurb that looks like the one that got run over by the truck when that guy got in a car accident. What are the odds of me getting a brand nee console with a late 2006 date on it?

How soon can I expect to have my 360 back?

I finally received a replacement 360 today. It has a newer mfg date (4/1/06, compared to 11/15/05) and it has a Samsung drive (so it's much more quiet). I had problems getting the controller and HDD working with my replacement, but finally did. We'll see how long this one last.

Mana Knight said:
I finally received a replacement 360 today. It has a newer mfg date (4/1/06, compared to 11/15/05) and it has a Samsung drive (so it's much more quiet). I had problems getting the controller and HDD working with my replacement, but finally did. We'll see how long this one last.

Was there any indication that the unit you received was a refurb? I wonder if there is any way to tell other than obvious signs of it being pre-owned (scuffs, scratches etc).

FirstInHell said:
Was there any indication that the unit you received was a refurb? I wonder if there is any way to tell other than obvious signs of it being pre-owned (scuffs, scratches etc).
Mfg date for the most part, will be anywhere from late 2005 to the 1st half of 2006 usually.

oldboy1

Banned
WOW!

I can't believe so many people have had their Xbox 360 die on them.

Do you people keep them all day, every day or something?

I bought my Xbox 360 in January and I had zero problems, I sold that one in July (needed money for Uni), the guy I sold that one to still has it and he still hasn't had any freezes, lockups, red lights anything.

I recently bought a new Xbox 360 (manufacture date 1 Sept 2006) and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Infact my new 360 is alot more quieter. :)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

It'll die... Give it time. I was talking big shit too about mine (in this very thread), which I bought second hand. Had a good 8 month run then died.

My new one is great, but it'll die as well. Only this time I am prepared.

AirBrian

I picked up a 360 this weekend and the manufacture date was August 02, 2006. I was hoping for a later version, but oh well. Extended warranty FTW. :-(

TurboFool

oldboy1 said:
WOW!

I can't believe so many people have had their Xbox 360 die on them.

Do you people keep them all day, every day or something?

I probably played my 360 a total of about 80 hours since purchasing it. I don't have a lot of time for gaming, honestly. It was rarely on for more than three or fours hours at a time (usually far less), and only played two or three days a week on average, some weeks no use, others four or five days. Either way, mine was probably one of the least-used dead units on this thread and it died after eight months.

Trasher

My 360 just died a couple hours ago. Bought it back in August, has a manufacture date of April 18th, and it dies after 4 months. Didn't even use it all that much. =/

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Funny thing is that the day I sent off my 360, at my expense, I finally get the Live Diamond Card in the mail.

I did play the crap out of my 360 though. I would go in cycles. I might not play it for a week, but then play it everyday for 3 hours for 2 weeks. I used all the media connect stuff and played DVDs on it as well.

JB1981

dskillzhtown said:
Funny thing is that the day I sent off my 360, at my expense, I finally get the Live Diamond Card in the mail.

I did play the crap out of my 360 though.

Why are people trying to rationalize away bad hardware? That's like saying,
my TV of 4 months just died. I did watch it every day, though, so I guess I got my money's worth
. That's utter nonsense. This shit is ****ing unacceptable. My 5-year-old PS2 still runs fine.

Worst. Hardware. Ever.

JCBossman

Banned
I don't thing those extended warrenties are worth it I say the BOX itself is worth about $200, you figure with the premium, Box=200, Power supply= $50 controller=$50 Hard Drive=$50 and Cables/Mic=$50, then you figure in deprecation and the Box itself is really only worth $150 bucks or so, SO after a year if it was me(with NO warrenty). I'd just buy a new Premium with a Toys R us kinda deal, making the Premium, basically the same price as a core, keep the NEW wireless stick and Mic, mint(you are definately going to need them a couple years down the line.) if you want you might sell the Component cable,ethernet cable, 2nd hard drive and Power supply and make back about 150, so including the 100 gift card(you are going to buy games anyway,right? So look at the gift card as Cash) the 360 basically cost you 150 bucks but you have an EXTRA wireless controller and Headset(and a brand new 360) you also could sell the BROKEN 360 "Core" for something.

DenogginizerOS: DON'T buy a core, do as I said, keep the BRAND NEW 360, send your OLD one back, when you recieve a Referb, I will buy it off you for 200(all parts included) you will have the NEW 360 plus the gift card, so my 200+your 100 dollar gift card= 300 so the whole deal ONLY cost you a 100 bucks but you have a Store Fresh 360, and I have a 360 premium for 2 bills:) Everyones happy!

X26

Banned
After less than a week my 360 is running into problems

- GRAW froze up on me (restarted and play with no problems after that)

- Got a DRE when trying to play Gears of War on XBL. This was after ~1.5hrs of GRAW SP & MP and ~1hr of GoW SP, so it may be overheating...I don't know. The disc is new though without any scratches and such on it.

Should I be worried?

pr0cs

X26 said:
After less than a week my 360 is running into problems
- GRAW froze up on me (restarted and play with no problems after that)
a large number of games have froze for me, GRAW included

X26 said:
- Got a DRE when trying to play Gears of War on XBL. This was after ~1.5hrs of GRAW SP & MP and ~1hr of GoW SP, so it may be overheating...I don't know. The disc is new though without any scratches and such on it.
Should I be worried?
again I think it's a software issue related to how they stream in the data, I've seen this countless times in GoW, even worse when the game fails to load the geometry (without a DRE) and the game world is only partially there and you fall through the game world.

DJ Sl4m

Trasher said:
Has anyone had any luck if their system broke after the 90 day warranty and still got Microsoft to repair it?

Mine just died last week, I've owned it since March.
MSFT customer service rep acknowledged it was out of it's 90 day warranty and it would cost me $130. for a refurbished replacement if I send it in.

I laughed and told him their warranty and offer sucks. No way will I pay $130 for a damn refurbished console.

I bought a heat gun yesterday and took it apart the night before, when I get back home from New Orleans on friday I'll try the heat fix. If it works it would have only cost me $30. for the heat gun and torx drivers.

If it doesn't work I still have the option to send it in for the $130, or I'll just buy the $300 gimped version since I already have all the wireless controllers and HDD.

It just makes more sense to me than paying $130 for a refurbished console.

I have too many games I love playing, esp with Halo 3, LP & crackdown coming out next year to abandon the 360.

It does piss me off though, now it puts my PS3 purchase back even further, GRRRRRRR :(

pr0cs

DJ Sl4m said:
If it doesn't work I still have the option to send it in for the $130
pretty sure once you've cracked the seal you can no longer send the unit in, I don't think MS accepts any tampered units under any circumstances.

DJ Sl4m

pr0cs said:
pretty sure once you've cracked the seal you can no longer send the unit in, I don't think MS accepts any tampered units under any circumstances.

Well damn that sucks, but I still feel it's a smarter option to try the heat gun first, then if it fails to go the gimped 360 route since I already have everything needed.

Honestly I opened it up and saw nothing that stands out as a bad solder joint or blackened or smoldered section, hopefully the heat trick works.

I had no idea the intercooler was bad for the lifespan of the 360...... :/

I did look and see, and there are no scorch marks around the power cord input.

This pisses me off, I was 4/5 of the wat complete with Gears on my first run, and I'm jonesing for my daily GeoWars fix.

Dekelia

I guess I need to finally admit mine is broken now too.

It started to get bad back in Sept. Chrome Hounds kept crashing and eventually I lost my save file because of it. Now, 20 minutes into any game, it freezes. Just to make sure it was ventalated, I put it out on a table, 3 feet from anything else...no help.

I just sent an e-mail to MS. I guess I'll call them tonight. I bought it last March (2006). It is probably out of waranty. I bought it with a Platinum card so that may extend it, I'm not sure.

How do you check when it was manufactured? Maybe I'll get lucky and find out mine was manufactured prior to Jan 1.

Trasher

Dekelia said:
I guess I need to finally admit mine is broken now too.

It started to get bad back in Sept. Chrome Hounds kept crashing and eventually I lost my save file because of it. Now, 20 minutes into any game, it freezes. Just to make sure it was ventalated, I put it out on a table, 3 feet from anything else...no help.

I just sent an e-mail to MS. I guess I'll call them tonight. I bought it last March (2006). It is probably out of waranty. I bought it with a Platinum card so that may extend it, I'm not sure.

How do you check when it was manufactured? Maybe I'll get lucky and find out mine was manufactured prior to Jan 1.

Check the back of your 360 above your AV cable. It has the manufacture date there.
Let me know what Microsoft tells you when you get around to contacting them.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
DJ Sl4m said:
Well damn that sucks, but I still feel it's a smarter option to try the heat gun first, then if it fails to go the gimped 360 route since I already have everything needed.

Honestly I opened it up and saw nothing that stands out as a bad solder joint or blackened or smoldered section, hopefully the heat trick works.

I had no idea the intercooler was bad for the lifespan of the 360...... :/

I did look and see, and there are no scorch marks around the power cord input.

This pisses me off, I was 4/5 of the wat complete with Gears on my first run, and I'm jonesing for my daily GeoWars fix.

give it a shot. i had tried the hot air gun on my 05 unit before MS extended the repairs for free for them (i flat out refused to pay nearly 150 to repair it). i never mentioned that i had opened it to the cust service guys, and got a refurb about a week and a half later. i did keep the MS sticker from the front of the unit and glued it back on to make it appear it hadnt been cracked, but it would have been obvious to anyone working on it as i had nearly stripped a few of those damn screws that hold the motherboard in place :p

dskillzhtown

JB1981 said:
Why are people trying to rationalize away bad hardware? That's like saying, . That's utter nonsense. This shit is ****ing unacceptable. My 5-year-old PS2 still runs fine.

Worst. Hardware. Ever.

I wasn't trying to rationalize anything, I was responding to someone who said he didn't play his at all, and his broke. Just offering the fact that level of play has no bearing on the unit surviving.

I am not about to call the 360 the worst hardware ever. PS1s had a failure rate that was extremely high as well. Every single person I knew had a broken PS1 at one time. I do wish M$ could isolate if it is all the 360s coming out of a single factory or a certain supplier of materials with faulty product or what the problem is. This is freustrating as hell, especially when I am hearing that people are on their 3rd 360.

To all of you people with freezes every now and then, I would get ready for it to break or trade it in before it does. Mine froze for the first time the week Dead Rising came out. It would freeze every now and then, but then played normally for a long time. Then after I finished Gears of War, it just totally stopped working after freezing constantly. So, the breakdown process might be one that takes months.

DJ Sl4m

dskillzhtown said:
I wasn't trying to rationalize anything, I was responding to someone who said he didn't play his at all, and his broke. Just offering the fact that level of play has no bearing on the unit surviving.

I am not about to call the 360 the worst hardware ever. PS1s had a failure rate that was extremely high as well. Every single person I knew had a broken PS1 at one time. I do wish M$ could isolate if it is all the 360s coming out of a single factory or a certain supplier of materials with faulty product or what the problem is. This is freustrating as hell, especially when I am hearing that people are on their 3rd 360.

To all of you people with freezes every now and then, I would get ready for it to break or trade it in before it does. Mine froze for the first time the week Dead Rising came out. It would freeze every now and then, but then played normally for a long time. Then after I finished Gears of War, it just totally stopped working after freezing constantly. So, the breakdown process might be one that takes months.

Yea, I agree. It sucks royally when a console breaks down for an avid gamer like ourselves.

But it's not my first time with a new console clunking out on me, the PS1 I had to repurchase 3 times and Sony denied ever having a problem, at least MSFT is offering a replacement for $130. (not that I'm happy with that either, but at least it's a cheap alternative, and acknowledgement )

I had similar troubles with the Dreamcast at launch, but none so far as to the extent of the PS1, that was just sickening.

shpankey

not an idiot
the hot air gun fix is still going strong for me. just make sure you get it hot enough, don't wimp out and get scared to put some heat to it.

DJ Sl4m

shpankey said:
the hot air gun fix is still going strong for me. just make sure you get it hot enough, don't wimp out and get scared to put some heat to it.

The gun I have ranges from 750-1000 degrees Fahrenheit, admittedly I'll be a bit timid with the time under heat at first, but if it doesn't work after my first try I have nothing to lose.

shpankey

not an idiot
DJ Sl4m said:
The gun I have ranges from 750-1000 degrees Fahrenheit, admittedly I'll be a bit timid with the time under heat at first, but if it doesn't work after my first try I have nothing to lose.
use the 1000 setting. i used 1050 setting for mine. and if you're using that youtube video as a guide, that's pretty good. i spent about 45 more seconds than him due to reports of success from others.

though you can use the lower setting from farther away for a minute or so to warm the board up first. but then go to the 1000 setting.

dskillzhtown said:
My PS1 never broke. :)
DJ Sl4m said:
It does piss me off though, now it puts my PS3 purchase back even further, GRRRRRRR :(
It would make me buy a PS3 sooner, especially because hardware problems would make me think less of a company (especially if frequent).

So far, my replacement 360 is still working. It actually takes a tad longer to load up the intro, but that's it.

Dave Long said:

You are not rewarding them . . . you are punishing them. You are making them sell another money losing box. They'll never recoup the loss in software sales since they didn't sell the box to another person . . . you'll just play the games you already bought.

DJ Sl4m

Mana Knight said:
My PS1 never broke. :)

It would make me buy a PS3 sooner, especially because hardware problems would make me think less of a company (especially if frequent).

So far, my replacement 360 is still working. It actually takes a tad longer to load up the intro, but that's it.

Well to me paying $600 for another 1st gen console with only 1 game worth playing to me is crazier.
I'm waiting on a drop in price and either Socom's sequel or Siphon Filter's sequel to release for my purchase. (But admittedly I am tight on money right now)

Besides I already experienced the PS1 and my experience was horrific, if not for this I'd agree 100% with you. I'm just basing my decisions on my past experience and admitted love for GeoWars, LOL. That damn game has me hooked dude ;p

DJ Sl4m said:
If it doesn't work I still have the option to send it in for the $130, or I'll just buy the $300 gimped version since I already have all the wireless controllers and HDD.

Interesting point . . .

$299Core - $130 = $170 more . . . but you get a wired controller ($40 value) and it is a new unit. (plus you get a composite cable, but that is useless, IMHO.)

So it is $130 more but you get a new unit & power supply, no wait, AND you get to keep the dead unit. And if you get it to work with the heat gun, you'll have 2 units (except you'll be stuck with that composite cable)

So, buying a core to replace a dead unit might be a good move for many.

Oh . . . I forgot the added bonus . . . when you buy a core unit, you'll get the satisfaction of sticking it to Microsoft by making them sell another money-losing unit. :lol

Interesting... I saw the video for the hotair gun fix... how? I mean, how does this fix the 360? A loose soldered connection reconnected with the heat? Just some oddity in the PCB? Or is it one of those "Dunno, just works" type things with no explanation? If it's the later how did they come up with this fix?

DJ Sl4m

Mefisutoferesu said:
Interesting... I saw the video for the hotair gun fix... how? I mean, how does this fix the 360? A loose soldered connection reconnected with the heat? Just some oddity in the PCB? Or is it one of those "Dunno, just works" type things with no explanation? If it's the later how did they come up with this fix?

I honestly don't know, while solder has a melting point around around 360-370 degrees Fahrenheit, I can't say for sure it's a cracked solder joint as some believe. (but right now it's the most logical reasoning)

I mean a solder joint wouldn't crack on a Mobo no matter how hot a cpu/gpu ever got unless it was on the GPU/CPU. But if it was on either of these I figure the problem would have been pinpointed by now, but it hasn't.

Heating up the entire mobo with heat at 700-1000 degrees Fahrenheit over time can and would remelt the solder points and fix any bad spots, and it seams the most logical. But there has to be a certain spot thats just been badly soldered from the factory, but what part ? Who knows right now.

:\

Hmmm, does this fix work for all busted Xbox 360s or is it a particular fix for certain problems? For instance, I can't imagine this would fix 360s that have gone down due to overheating, but perhaps ones that freeze on occasion and then suddenly stop... that might be indicative of a failed solder. So does it fix all busted 360s or specific types of downed 360s?

DJ Sl4m

Mefisutoferesu said:
:\

Hmmm, does this fix work for all busted Xbox 360s or is it a particular fix for certain problems? For instance, I can't imagine this would fix 360s that have gone down due to overheating, but perhaps ones that freeze on occasion and then suddenly stop... that might be indicative of a failed solder. So does it fix all busted 360s or specific types of downed 360s?

From what I've read online along with Xbox-Scene reports I'd say it's about 90%, overheating included, this includes 360's with the 3 red rings of death.

Flynn

Gah! I just got the rings and the $130 quote. The guy tried to sell me on a MS service plan. I have one from Best Buy, I think. But that means I'll have to return my HD, right? Is there a way to get my save files off of the HD? Or should I just buy a blank HD and return that one to Best Buy.

****!

Flynn said:
Gah! I just got the rings and the $130 quote. The guy tried to sell me on a MS service plan. I have one from Best Buy, I think. But that means I'll have to return my HD, right? Is there a way to get my save files off of the HD? Or should I just buy a blank HD and return that one to Best Buy.!

I've done two BB warranty returns and I still have my original HDD. Here is the way I do it . . . the only downside is that you end up with a $439 Best Buy card instead of cash:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5006306&postcount=1031

gbovo

PICT0002-1.jpg

It just happened 5 minutes ago. I've had my 360 since May and never had any problems with it. It was only today that it started freezing up on me. Well, switched it off and left it alone for a couple hours, then tried switching it on again a couple minutes ago and was greeted with the above pictured incident :'( My 360 is well ventilated, never overworked/stressed so I don't know why it happened all of a sudden. I've never had any problems with any of my consoles in the past, I don't know what caused this :'(

dskillzhtown

gbovo said:
PICT0002-1.jpg

It just happened 5 minutes ago. I've had my 360 since May and never had any problems with it. It was only today that it started freezing up on me. Well, switched it off and left it alone for a couple hours, then tried switching it on again a couple minutes ago and was greeted with the above pictured incident :'( My 360 is well ventilated, never overworked/stressed so I don't know why it happened all of a sudden. I've never had any problems with any of my consoles in the past, I don't know what caused this :'(

We feel your pain brother. Welcome to the club.

Mefisutoferesu said:
basically, they used tin based solder instead of lead based solder, and it just isn't as good of a performer under the heat related stress the 360 puts on it, so reheating and reflowing the solder with a hot air gun resets the condition... of course, this is only something you want to do with certain advanced error codes, like 0102 or 0110... but as you can see, you're just back to square one, and eventually, days, weeks, months later, you will be back to 3 red lights of doom, and have to do it again... and it may not always work...

regs

hmmm... I might be going on the list again... my replacement is really acting weird (just came today). No 3 red lights, no lights actually... I turn it on, it powers up, no display...

it's like it's overheating, but it's not really warm, and it's in the same place as my other 360 was... if I can get through the holidays with it i'll be happy

The Faceless Master said:
basically, they used tin based solder instead of lead based solder, and it just isn't as good of a performer under the heat related stress the 360 puts on it, so reheating and reflowing the solder with a hot air gun resets the condition... of course, this is only something you want to do with certain advanced error codes, like 0102 or 0110... but as you can see, you're just back to square one, and eventually, days, weeks, months later, you will be back to 3 red lights of doom, and have to do it again... and it may not always work...
I wonder if MS used that type of solder because of Europe banning lead solder in many consumer electronics (strange law that doesn't make any sense, that went to affect in July 2006).

Top Bottom