• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Meier

My second replacement (so 3rd 360) that I just got had a manufacture date of like in December 20th so I was of course freaking out when I got it.. well it just died. Madden was freezing and shit so I got all worried... well, it beeps a little and then freezes some more after I start a Superstar game. Try to turn it on but nothing happens although I hear a slight beep... try to turn it on again and it's just the light on the system but no picture... turn it on and it freezes at the bootup (with part of the 360 logo on screen). Turn it on and it freezes at the dash. Then boom, red ring of death. Took out the hard drive, still dead.

Juice

Meier said:
My second replacement (so 3rd 360) was manufactured in December, so I was of course freaking out when I got it.. well it just died. Madden was freezing and shit and I'm all worried... well, it beeps a little and then freezes some more after I start a Superstar game. Try to turn it on but nothing happens... turn it on and it freezes at the bootup. Turn it on and it freezes at the dash. Then boom, red ring of death. Took out the hard drive, still dead.

:(

What's that GameFly good for if you never have a 360?

BuddyC

Meier said:
My second replacement (so 3rd 360) that I just got had a manufacture date of like in December 20th so I was of course freaking out when I got it.. well it just died. Madden was freezing and shit so I got all worried... well, it beeps a little and then freezes some more after I start a Superstar game. Try to turn it on but nothing happens although I hear a slight beep... try to turn it on again and it's just the light on the system but no picture... turn it on and it freezes at the bootup (with part of the 360 logo on screen). Turn it on and it freezes at the dash. Then boom, red ring of death. Took out the hard drive, still dead.

Didn't you just get that replaced last week? Man, that's some rough stuff. I'd raise a lot of hell, complain and see if you can get them to send you an entirely new box ASAP.

Meier

BuddyC said:
Didn't you just get that replaced last week? Man, that's some rough stuff. I'd raise a lot of hell.

Yep, and I even had to pay the $32.25 or whatever to get it done.

VALIS

Meier said:

*shakes head* Mine comes back from repair tomorrow... and this is exactly what I expect to happen. Such a cluster****.

By the way guys, while I'm loving these homebrew fixes people are trying out, you should know that they will not fix your 360 if it's been opened, even for the $130 fee. They just send it back to you as is, I've heard. I think MS needs to come clean on exactly what in the console is breaking down, and let the resources and ingenuity of the hobbiests and hackers come up with a fix.

Meier

Well, because this is my 3rd death, the supervisor is making sure I get a new console apparently. I asked if I could get compensation for my lost Xbox Live time and he said that was a different department, but they're giving me a "gift game" as well in the form of Kameo. I'll probably call or write the Xbox Live number and see if I can get some free points or something for my trouble.

unomas

Banned
So...........you are going on console #4? I thought I was bad, my refurb 360 just died tonight after a few nights of freezing while choking on Madden 07. I'll be calling MS in the morning and since this refurb was less than 2 months old I should be receiving my 3rd one free of charge. At least I hope that's how this mess works, it would also be nice to be receiving a free game or something for all this lost gaming time as well as the hassle of having to put up with this mess. I've never had a console fail before, the 360 has now failed on me two times in less than 9 months. Arggghhhhhhh........

WonMore

All these repeated deaths seem to be caused by MS sending refurbished launch consoles as replacements.. That's pretty unacceptable. They can't possibly offer you that in Europe, they have to take your dead unit and replace it with a brand new one, if it's under warranty. How such a consumer-centric market like NA can put up with this kind of bullshit is beyond me..

unomas

Banned
tahrikmili said:
All these repeated deaths seem to be caused by MS sending refurbished launch consoles as replacements.. That's pretty unacceptable. They can't possibly offer you that in Europe, they have to take your dead unit and replace it with a brand new one, if it's under warranty. How such a consumer-centric market like NA can put up with this kind of bullshit is beyond me..

I'm getting fed up with it, but I'm willing to see how it turns out with my soon to be 3rd system. If that breaks I'll probably call it a day, but I'll be damned if I ever fork over $600 for a PS3. I refuse to spend that on a game console.

M3wThr33

Banned
unomas said:
I'm getting fed up with it, but I'm willing to see how it turns out with my soon to be 3rd system. If that breaks I'll probably call it a day, but I'll be damned if I ever fork over $600 for a PS3. I refuse to spend that on a game console.

360 + Cooler + warranty + shipped replacements = ?

Juice

Yeah Meier, I saw you logging in and out of Live all night last night, I thought you'd actually fixed it. Oops :/

4th console coming up, eh? It's really no wonder why people who have one break have three break--they're just sending back more and more refurbs from the pool of faulty launch units.

Either that or you've got a wine cooler to tell us about.

Mojovonio

Banned
Juice said:
Yeah Meier, I saw you logging in and out of Live all night last night, I thought you'd actually fixed it. Oops :/

4th console coming up, eh? It's really no wonder why people who have one break have three break--they're just sending back more and more refurbs from the pool of faulty launch units.

Either that or you've got a wine cooler to tell us about.

Apparently, it states in the warranty, that we'll get refurbished consoles instead of new ones. It sucks, and I'm telling people who ask me if they should get a 360 about my experience and how MS is handling it, and let me tell you, its turning a lot of people off.

But I'm going to be a pain in MS' side. At any instance I see a problem with my refurbished console, even if it doesn't die, if it so much as freezes once, i'm sending it back in until they get the idea to send me a working console.

gkryhewy

Meier said:
My second replacement (so 3rd 360) that I just got had a manufacture date of like in December 20th

I received my second replacement yesterday, and it had (I think) the same manufacturing date. Same replacement cost too. I played pretty heavily yesterday with no issues, but just in case... what did you say to get them to send a brand new one the next time?

Oh, and the replacement was actually dirty - I had to wipe it off with paper towel. So ghetto, microsoft.

Meier

gkrykewy said:
I received my second replacement yesterday, and it had (I think) the same manufacturing date. Same replacement cost too. I played pretty heavily yesterday with no issues, but just in case... what did you say to get them to send a brand new one the next time?

Oh, and the replacement was actually dirty - I had to wipe it off with paper towel. So ghetto, microsoft.

The initial guy talked to me for awhile and tried to walk me through it, and then it no longer was freezing or getting the red RoL, but then I rebooted and it randomly happened again and again. After awhile of it freezing/RRoL'ing, he elevated it to his supervisor who was really cool and apologetic. Basically, since I've had to deal with so much shit they did all the talking and I didnt have to fight for it or anything.

I didnt have to say much because the thing had died on me in 5 days -- Madden 07, Texas Hold'Em and the Just Cause demo (pretty visuals, but the gameplay kinda sucks) have been more or less all I've played since, so I dunno if Madden 07 is just taxing on the system or what, but it was the one that caused the deathblow so to speak.

unomas

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
360 + Cooler + warranty + shipped replacements = ?

Never bought a cooler, never paid for a replacement 360. It cost me $400. I still haven't purchased a warranty either, but at some point I will plop down for that extended 2 year warranty. I would do the same if I ever bought a PS3, extended warranty right away which of course adds to the cost.

unomas

Banned
Oh joy, they want $129.99 because now they say the refurb only has a 30 day warranty! I was told on two seperate occasions that it was 90 days and now they tell me I didn't get a refurb back but it's my original console and because it's my original console it only has a 30 day warranty after the repair. 30 f'n days???

Me and the supervisor duking it out right now.....

gkrykewy said:

If I get mine back like that, Im not even going to bother turning it on.

UPS picked mine up today, wonder how theyre gonna handle it. Hope they decide to send me a new one instead of a lousy repair job.

fse

unomas said:
Oh joy, they want $129.99 because now they say the refurb only has a 30 day warranty! I was told on two seperate occasions that it was 90 days and now they tell me I didn't get a refurb back but it's my original console and because of that it's a 30 day warranty. 30 f'n days???

call the BBB and tell msft to **** off

unomas

Banned
Why does this supervisor barely speak english? Anyway, pretty much no hassle with the supervisor but I was on hold for 10-15 minutes. They are sending the cardboard coffin free of charge and once again I was told 90 days by this supervisor as far as the warranty on the repaired 360. So this was tougher, but I've escaped without incurring any additional charges.

It was shady as hell though when I talked to the girl and she put me on hold after I told her my 360 died and she was like one moment please. She comes back and gives me that 30 day crap, what a joke. MS needs a serious lesson on how to deal with customers and the things you need to do to keep those customers loyal. So now I'm 360 less for at least 2 weeks, but at least I'm not paying $129.99. Way to almost lose a customer that subscribes to live and buys 10-20 games a year MS!

WonMore

gkryhewy

I called once in the middle of a weekday (eastern) and got what was clearly a clueless rep in India who couldn't do anything outside the scope of her step by step sheet. Since then, I only call in the evening, when I've been more able to get (what sound to be) more experienced reps who are fluent in English.

unomas

Banned
f_elz said:
call the BBB and tell msft to **** off

I was pretty furious, if the supervisor had said no the first thing I would have done was contacted the BBB. Anyone have the # for the BBB?

I was told that I can purchase the 2 year extended warranty when I receive my repaired 360 back, that will be the first thing I do before I even plug it back in.

unomas

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I called once in the middle of a weekday (eastern) and got what was clearly a clueless rep in India who couldn't do anything outside the scope of her step by step sheet. Since then, I only call in the evening, when I've been more able to get (what sound to be) more experienced reps who are fluent in English.

I hope I never have to make that call again, but if I do thanks for the tip. The first girl/rep I got was definitely American, but after I was put on hold for 10-15 minutes the *supervisor* had to be located in India. No offense, but the communication was a bit tough, and it was hard to hear him. I've also been given a 10 digit number that I have to write on the package or include in the box for some reason.

pr0cs

people still think that the BBB is actually of value? It has absolutely no teeth whatsoever, it's a giant waste of time to even bother with them.

Meier

One of the supervisor's I've dealt with was clearly Indian although I dont necessarily think he was in India, just of that descent. The other two I've talked to have clearly been Americans with "Randy" last night being particularly cool. So good luck to folks on getting Randy. :)

JuanMR2

My 360 is toast. It froze about 7 times yesterday. Ironically enough it started freezing after watching "Just My Luck". I popped in Saints Row and it froze at the start up screen, froze during poker too. I followed instrcutions on the MS KB and everything seemed fine afterwards. Today I got home from work and it started freezing again. Luckily I was forced to buy the 1 year replacement plan as part of the 360 bundle I ordered back in December.
Can I retain all my Saves, Downloads..etc by simply swapping my current HDD with the new one?

Mojovonio

Banned
pr0cs said:
people still think that the BBB is actually of value? It has absolutely no teeth whatsoever, it's a giant waste of time to even bother with them.

from my earlier post, regarding me filing a complaint against MS with the BBB.

"ok, so I got a call from a woman named Sarah, a very personable and rational woman. She said she would give me a 50% reduction off the repair cost and give me a free 1 year warranty on the system I would recieve back."

Mojovonio

Banned
unomas said:
Oh joy, they want $129.99 because now they say the refurb only has a 30 day warranty! I was told on two seperate occasions that it was 90 days and now they tell me I didn't get a refurb back but it's my original console and because it's my original console it only has a 30 day warranty after the repair. 30 f'n days???

From MS' Site

Any replacement parts or Xbox Product will be new or refurbished or serviceably used, comparable in function and performance to the original part or Xbox Product and warranted for the remainder of the original Warranty Period or 30 days from the date of shipment of the Xbox Product back to you, whichever is longer.

koam

My Xbox 360 is 26 hours old. I've played it for about 6-7 hours so far. It's crashed 6 times on Dead Rising. 3 different errors and each error has happened twice.

1) Please insert this game into a xbox 360 to play (x2)
2) The game disc is dirty or cannot be read, please clean the disc and retry (x2) (or something to that extent, also note, the game and console are brand new)
3) During two of the loading scenes in Dead Rising, nothing happened. It would just get stuck loading. I still had access to the rest of the 360's features though (x2)

I haven't really played much else besides Dead Rising so I can't comment yet if it's only that.

Dispite the failures, i still like the 360. It's a far better console than the Xbox1 was.

Mojovonio

Banned
koam said:
My Xbox 360 is 26 hours old. I've played it for about 6-7 hours so far. It's crashed 6 times on Dead Rising. 3 different errors and each error has happened twice.

1) Please insert this game into a xbox 360 to play (x2)
2) The game disc is dirty or cannot be read, please clean the disc and retry (x2) (or something to that extent, also note, the game and console are brand new)
3) During two of the loading scenes in Dead Rising, nothing happened. It would just get stuck loading. I still had access to the rest of the 360's features though (x2)

I haven't really played much else besides Dead Rising so I can't comment yet if it's only that.

Dispite the failures, i still like the 360. It's a far better console than the Xbox1 was.

send it in for reapirs.

koam

Mojovonio said:
send it in for reapirs.

Are you serious? So this isn't normal behavior? I got a 2 years exchange at the store warranty. If it is, i'll just return it tomorrow.

FightyF

Banned
koam said:
Are you serious? So this isn't normal behavior? I got a 2 years exchange at the store warranty. If it is, i'll just return it tomorrow.

Well, I know some stores with such an exchange policy but if the manufacturer's warrently is still in effect, they ask you to go through the manufacturer.

BUT, if it's within 2 weeks (and it is) they usually trump that with the 2 week return/exchange policy.

So yeah, you're plan is right, but it would be under the basis that you are within the store's 2 week return/exchange policy.

You probably know all of this already I'm sorry I'll leave now. :p

Actually, I'm gonna return mine to Future Shop, but should I take out my HDD and keep it with me?

koam

Fight for Freeform said:
Well, I know some stores with such an exchange policy but if the manufacturer's warrently is still in effect, they ask you to go through the manufacturer.

BUT, if it's within 2 weeks (and it is) they usually trump that with the 2 week return/exchange policy.

So yeah, you're plan is right, but it would be under the basis that you are within the store's 2 week return/exchange policy.

You probably know all of this already I'm sorry I'll leave now. :p

Actually, I'm gonna return mine to Future Shop, but should I take out my HDD and keep it with me?
I have 2 years with bestbuy, i can just return it in store. That's a pretty valid question about the HDD, i'd hate to have to lose my save files.

FightyF

Banned
koam said:
I have 2 years with bestbuy, i can just return it in store. That's a pretty valid question about the HDD, i'd hate to have to lose my save files.

I have 2 years with FS (same as BB) and I do believe that I got PSP [Product Service Plan] with it, not the PRP [Product Replacement Plan] (where you can simply exchange if it fails during the 2 years and after the manufacturer's warrenty). It could be different in the States though...

In Canada, the PRP applies to stuff that's under $200 AFAIK. PSP for stuff over that much.

rastex

Banned
Alright, seems like my 2nd unit is dying on me... wow that's just unacceptable. First Oblivion started giving me disc read errors, and now Table Tennis, so I'm pretty confident it's the console. Now here's the question. Do I call MS and struggle through their poor service? Or do I do the ol' swap trick?

That is, buy a new console from the store, replace my old one with the new, and then return it.

I don't feel too bad about it, because when someone buys "my" 360 they'll see it's busted and return it right away to the store who will then send it in to MS for repairs. So I get a new 360, the old one gets repaired and everybody's happy. And the process occurs in a couple of days instead of weeks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
koam said:

*SOME DETAILS COULD BE INCORRECT*

I am under the impression that your HDD / Memory Unit with your profiles, game saves, download content, and XBLA arcade games will work on any 360 unit - the HDD is "your" system and the console is just a body for it.

However, due to how MS set things up, you will only be able to play the full versions of your XBLA arcade games while your profile associated with purchasing them is signed into Xbox Live. Allegedly, when you buy a game, it is keyed to the serial number of the machine on which it was originally downloaded on, to verify it for offline usage. It's not a big deal typically, if you keep your 360 connected to the Internet.

I have heard that if this is a real problem, people have been able to bitch at MS and get the points they spent on the XBLA arcade games credited to their account so that they may re-buy the games on the new console. I assume there's countermeasure in place against people scamming MS for free points this way.

Edit:

I would assume if you're returning a Premium system to Best Buy, they'd /have/ to be understanding about the HDD and let you swap your HDD for the unused HDD in the replacement package. I know some Gamestops have also been competent about that issue.

Bought a brand new 360 from Best Buy three weeks ago to play Dead Rising.

Am getting DREs in Dead Rising about every 30-45 minutes. Don't own any other games yet.

Microsoft can eat a bag of hell.

unomas

Banned
Mojovonio said:
From MS' Site

Thats great and all, but when you get told one thing by 2 different people........apparently they don't even know what the policy is. Not only that but I'm pretty much 100% positive I got a refurb back, it was dirty and not the same 360 I shipped out to them. It also had a different born on date on the console so the first person I talked to attempted to dick me over on the whole thing.

Either way, A product shouldn't fail that many times in such a short period of time and I'm getting mine fixed free of charge so I'm a happy camper. This product should have a 1 year warranty minimum, if they can't provide that to the customer maybe they shouldn't release the product. Or maybe, just maybe I'll take my business elsewhere if these problems persist.

JuanMR2

So I called gamestop.com and they said I didn't have to ship my entire 360 if a local GS or EB would allow me to exchange the 360. So I was able to exchange my 360 with a new one and they let me swap the HDD so I kept all my stuff.

My only problem now is I can't get Media Center to work with my new 360. I got Windows Media Connect to work with no problem. Has anyone received the following error message when trying to install the Media Center Extender?

"Setup Error

A problem occurred during Setup. Please run Setup again. If the problem persists, contact your computer manufacturer for assistance. To exit Setup, select Finish"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916179/en-us nothing here applied.

BuddyC

Synthesizer Patel said:

Am getting DREs in Dead Rising about every 30-45 minutes. Don't own any other games yet.

Dead Rising has consistently given me DRE's, moreso than any other game I've owned on the 360. Prior to DR, I'd received a whopping one DRE during a marathon Burnout Revenge session.

I almost wonder if the Dead Rising stuff has to do with a cheap replication process resulting in a disc that becomes practically unreadable at times, though I'm not very knowledgable in such things. All I know for sure is 1) the three copies of Dead Rising I've gone through have been way louder than any of my other 360 games, even when I'm just sitting at the dashboard, and 2) that my 360 doesn't like me playing Dead Rising for hours at a time. Which leads me to conclusion 3), that regardless of who's or what's at fault, I'm neither happy nor confident in my 360's ability to provide me with a continual disc-based gaming experience.

BuddyC

JuanMR2 said:
So I called gamestop.com and they said I didn't have to ship my entire 360 if a local GS or EB would allow me to exchange the 360. So I was able to exchange my 360 with a new one and they let me swap the HDD so I kept all my stuff.

My only problem now is I can't get Media Center to work with my new 360. I got Windows Media Connect to work with no problem. Has anyone received the following error message when trying to install the Media Center Extender?

"Setup Error

A problem occurred during Setup. Please run Setup again. If the problem persists, contact your computer manufacturer for assistance. To exit Setup, select Finish"

Just a thought, but you may have to set things up again on the PC end of things, it might be tied to something specific (like a serial number or MAC address) to your last 360. It's just speculation, I genuinely have no idea if that's the problem, and you may have already tried that, but I thought I'd throw it out.

jax (old)

Banned
Synthesizer Patel said:

can you see/tell how old your x360 is? I'd like to know if I can buy one safely now (if I can score a newer model). Can anyone confirm that the newer models aren't so wonky?

Mojovonio

Banned
Jax said:
can you see/tell how old your x360 is? I'd like to know if I can buy one safely now (if I can score a newer model). Can anyone confirm that the newer models aren't so wonky?

I'd wait till after the xmas rush.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Never got an error on any game...ever.

I guess I'm just lucky.

And I bought it used... From kids.

*shrug*

I did boot up and noticed some blue-ish outlines. That happened twice with RR6 since I've owned it, all within a 2 week period. Shutting down, and back up a minute or so later seemed to corrected the problem. Hasn't happened again, and it's been like 6 months.

Think my 3shitty might be crapping out on me. :(

It began the day I downloaded the Just Cause demo. First the demo crashed before it was even fully loaded. The screen showed these weird little green boxthingies. Booted it up two more times later on, crashed both times.

Tried the Saints Row demo today. Froze at one of the tutorial popups after you've dropped Troy off. And a few hours ago I was gonna watch Battle Royale and the thing froze about 20 minutes in. Restarted the console and it froze again as I was fastforwarding.

I'm just waiting for those damn flashing red lights...

JuanMR2

JuanMR2 said:

"Setup Error

BuddyC said:
Just a thought, but you may have to set things up again on the PC end of things, it might be tied to something specific (like a serial number or MAC address) to your last 360. It's just speculation, I genuinely have no idea if that's the problem, and you may have already tried that, but I thought I'd throw it out.

I'm thinking that's exactly the problem, because with Windows Media Connect I had to remove the old xbox 360 and allow access to the new one. But I can't figure out where to change that. And I don't have Windows Media Extender utility anywhere on my PC. The original setup of Media Center was a breeze.

CoryCubed

Friends laser went out on his and was scratching games, was actually very polite and calm with the rep, just emphasizing how much money he put into it and would be later, they fixed it all up for free and we got it back today, after sending it back last friday. All in all counting waiting on them to send the box and to receive the system about a week and a half.

Top Bottom