• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA + Europe hardware installed base

PS3 is then 7 million overall behind the 360 worldwide. Give or take for smaller countries like Australia (smaller, sales wise).

So deos this mean we can finally give up on the PS3 making this miracle turnaround now?

Let Sony make some money for god's sake and stop trying to satisfy your own childish fanboy fantasies.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
TTP said:
It's 9 worldwide.

11m behind in USA and EU - 2m ahead in Japan.

Which isn't too bad really considering the PS3's delayed release.

I wonder what would happen if we was to compare the PS3 and 360 WW figures side by side on a line graph as if both system were released at the same time, surely they would match ?

mavs

GarthVaderUK said:
i23y4o.jpg

Holy crap, I never saw that one :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
2 Minutes Turkish said:
PS3 is then 7 million overall behind the 360 worldwide. Give or take for smaller countries like Australia (smaller, sales wise).

So deos this mean we can finally give up on the PS3 making this miracle turnaround now?

Let Sony make some money for god's sake and stop trying to satisfy your own childish fanboy fantasies.

How about giving up on pretending Sony fanboys actually expect that miracle to happen? :lol

You can say they hope and prey for it, but I think the majority isn't making such long term predictions.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lowrider007 said:
Which isn't too bad really considering the PS3's delayed release.

I wonder what would happen if we was to compare the PS3 and 360 WW figures side by side on a line graph as if both system were released at the same time, surely they would match ?

AFAIK PS3 is actually above the 360 in that comparison case. I recall such a graph being posted somewhere on GAF some time ago.

MotherFan

TTP said:
How about giving up on pretending Sony fanboys actually expect that miracle to happen? :lol

You can say they hope and prey for it, but I think the majority isn't making such long term predictions.

TRUE 1:1, Will Triple win the holiday and any thread mentioning KZ2 (which can crop up anywhere at any time) shows that there are alot who still think it will happen.

TTP said:
AFAIK PS3 is actually above the 360 in that comparison case. I recall such a graph being posted somewhere on GAF some time ago.

Wonder how much over 50% wii installed base would be if someone made this graph.

TTP said:

1) Either you don't come here often

or

2) Your avatar tells me al I need to know about your response

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MotherFan said:
TRUE 1:1, Will Triple win the holiday and any thread mentioning KZ2 (which can crop up anywhere at any time) shows that there are alot who still think it will happen.

Hmmm, not really.

First of all, I'm talking PS3vs360 (no Wii) as those where the systems 2 Minutes Turkish was referring to. I've never seen even the most hardcore Sony fan predicting PS3 overtaking the Wii.

Second, that holiday thread refers to well, just this holiday. And most Sony fans there say it's likely with a lot of IFs in it. Not granted.

Third, I don't see that in KZ2 threads. At least not by the majority.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
2 Minutes Turkish said:
1) Either you don't come here often

or

2) Your avatar tells me al I need to know about your response

Man, you are talking to a "legendary GAF poster" :lol
I do come here too much often actually :lol

But please, prove me wrong. Show me evidence that the whole or even just the 51% of the PS3 fanboys crowd (you are great at detecting them by just looking at their avatars of choice!) is convinced the miracle will happen.

Narag

Shurs said:
How the fuck do you not know who TTP is?

GAF is large enough for the differing "celebrities" to be not exceptionally well known outside of their respective cliques.

23iudyx.jpg

People have already pointed out some of the obvious ridiculous things about this chart, but I like how the Wii has already met their peak prediction, and it's not even holiday '09 yet.

Shurs said:
How the fuck do you not know who TTP is?

I'm well aware of who he is.

Which is why his repsponse to my original post was so silly.

I wish I had bookmarked all the threads and posts where the Sonybots continue to cling to the hope of the PS3 making a comeback.

Hell, we just HAD a thread about it wining the holiday season.

vicissitudes said:
2 Minutes Turkish: Total Posts: 4,179

TTP: Total Posts: 16,583

:/

2MT = 2008
TTP = 2004

But I fail to see how any of that is relevant. I was implying he hasn't been around LATELY if he hasn't seen how many Sonybots keep banging the drum about Sony making some miraculous comeback.

I'm aware of how much he is ACTUALLY here on GAF.

edit: And since so many DO know him, as do I, they'd also know where he stands on most issues.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, his conclusions based on your avatar aren't wrong, TTP. You are a rather considerable Sony fan-man.

You can say that, but a sane one. :lol

You are a long time poster here and you know I'm Sony fanboys worst enemy when it comes to bitching about Sony stuff. I've bitched to the point of getting death threats :lol (still have the scars after that GT5P thread, not to mention the Infamous one... :lol). Heck, I'm probably one of the few KZ2 clusterfucks haters here. And don't have me started about SOCOM: Confrontation.

I bitch because I care, of course. But I'm not that kind of "it's all great!" Sony guy.

But that's enough of me.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
TTP said:

You are a long time poster here and you know I'm Sony fanboys worst enemy when it comes to bitching about Sony stuff. I've bitched to the point of getting death threats :lol (still have the scars after that GT5P thread, not to mention the Infamous one... :lol)

I bitch because I care, of course. But I'm not that kind of "it's all great!" Sony guy.
Yes, I give you that.

anyway, let's not make this a thread about you!

TTP said:

You are a long time poster here and you know I'm Sony fanboys worst enemy when it comes to bitching about Sony stuff. I've bitched to the point of getting death threats :lol (still have the scars after that GT5P thread, not to mention the Infamous one... :lol)

Thank you.

My post was obviously misinterpereted.

I wasn't daying you don't come here often, as in, you must be a new member. I was saying you 'must not be here often' as in asking how could you not notice the number of Sony fans still clinging with desperation that the PS3 might not only take over the 360, but possibly the Wii WAY down the road.

But as you and Segata just discussed, I clearly wasn't wrong in my judgement.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
GrotesqueBeauty said:
23iudyx.jpg

People have already pointed out some of the obvious ridiculous things about this chart, but I like how the Wii has already met their peak prediction, and it's not even holiday '09 yet.

Actually, since the graph is about worldwide install bases, the Wii has already gone beyond their peak prediction by about nearly 10 million.

Grooski

Banned
Activision is playing funny buggers with the numbers is all. I have a feeling Acti+Sony aren't friends anymore because this is cherry picking of a pretty high order. Activision not shipping to the rest of the world confirmed??

These are purely US + European figures and are really irrelevant shown by themselves when talking installed base. Yes they are the biggest two markets, but the remainder are substantial. The data excluded from these figures include Central/South America, Canada, Russia(partial), the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Australia.

Sony figures 23.8mill shipped as at 30/6. Given roughly 1 mill in the channel which is normal for Q2, this indicates another 6.8mill in other territories. Say 3 in Japan and another 3.8mill in undisclosed territories.

In comparison Microsoft figures 31.5mill shipped as at 30/6. Also give a mill in the channel, this leaves another 3.5mill in other territories. Say 1 mill to Japan and there is another 2.5 mill in other territories.

Excluded data from Acti's report accounts for around 30% of Sony's installed base and less than 10% of Microsofts.

Like I said - cherry picking. Also note the big difference in expectations for the PS3 sales rate for 2009 from Sony and from Activision.

These two companies are definitely no longer friends.

Dragon

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm well aware of who he is.

Which is why his repsponse to my original post was so silly.

I wish I had bookmarked all the threads and posts where the Sonybots continue to cling to the hope of the PS3 making a comeback.

Hell, we just HAD a thread about it wining the holiday season.

2MT = 2008
TTP = 2004

But I fail to see how any of that is relevant. I wasn't implying he hasn't been around lately if he hasn't seen how many Sonybots keep banging the drum about Sony making some miraculous comeback.

I'm aware of how much he is ACTUALLY here on GAF.

edit: And since so many DO know him, as do I, they'd also know where he stands on most issues.

And reading your posts in this thread and others we know how you stand on a variety of issues. This, however, is largely irrelevant. Indeed I like reading TTP's posts, they're usually informative, he also doesn't hold anything back if he feels angered by something regardless of the system, publisher, or developer that's involved.

Now why on earth this is relevant to a sales thread is beyond me.

There may be many people who feel that a 7 million console difference worldwide can be made up, but why they have to be 'Sonybots' if they back up their opinion with well thought out posts is puzzling.

The thread you point out had a lot of people adamantly post that it was a pipe dream, including me, in case you want to point the finger elsewhere instead.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
esc said:
I hope you're not serious.

Just kidding for dramatic effect. Not sure I would have survived some of those debates in a real life environment tho :lol

Yes, I give you that.

anyway, let's not make this a thread about you!

Agree!

Johann

Kilrogg said:
Actually, since the graph is about worldwide install bases, the Wii has already gone beyond their peak prediction by about nearly 10 million.

We still haven't seen the 2011 wormhole that reduces the Wii's total hardware sales.

DogWelder

TTP said:
Just kidding for dramatic effect. Not sure I would have survived some of those debates in a real life environment tho :lol
Oh well, I'm glad, let's leave the crazy to Miyamoto groupies.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, you'll know you've made it as a GAF personality when you start getting death threats from the proles.
I'ma shank u in da trote.

Grooski said:
Activision is playing funny buggers with the numbers is all. I have a feeling Acti+Sony aren't friends anymore because this is cherry picking of a pretty high order. Activision not shipping to the rest of the world confirmed??

These are purely US + European figures and are really irrelevant shown by themselves when talking installed base. Yes they are the biggest two markets, but the remainder are substantial. The data excluded from these figures include Central/South America, Canada, Russia(partial), the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Australia.

Sony figures 23.8mill shipped as at 30/6. Given roughly 1 mill in the channel which is normal for Q2, this indicates another 6.8mill in other territories. Say 3 in Japan and another 3.8mill in undisclosed territories.

In comparison Microsoft figures 31.5mill shipped as at 30/6. Also give a mill in the channel, this leaves another 3.5mill in other territories. Say 1 mill to Japan and there is another 2.5 mill in other territories.

Excluded data from Acti's report accounts for around 30% of Sony's installed base and less than 10% of Microsofts.

Like I said - cherry picking. Also note the big difference in expectations for the PS3 sales rate for 2009 from Sony and from Activision.

Oh, come on.

Gee why would Activision choose to highlight the sales in the top two markets in the world and the major markets where their software sells in relevant numbers? MUST BE THEIR ANTI-SONY AGENDA.

TheBranca18 said:
And reading your posts in this thread and others we know how you stand on a variety of issues. This, however, is largely irrelevant. Indeed I like reading TTP's posts, they're usually informative, he also doesn't hold anything back if he feels angered by something regardless of the system, publisher, or developer that's involved.

Now why on earth this is relevant to a sales thread is beyond me.

There may be many people who feel that a 7 million console difference worldwide can be made up, but why they have to be 'Sonybots' if they back up their opinion with well thought out posts is puzzling.

The thread you point out had a lot of people adamantly post that it was a pipe dream, including me, in case you want to point the finger elsewhere instead.

"Wait for..." is not a well thought out argument.

"Price cut" is not a well thought out argument.

And if you DO look through my post history you'll see on many occasions I have admitted to being an Xbox fan. I don't hide it.

But look deeper, you;ll see I've said on MANY occasions, that I'd prefer Sony finish third and make MONEY, than try and win some imaginary contest and lose money.

By them making money, they get to keep giving me games like Uncharted, Resistance and Ratchet and Clank. I don't want the best aspects of the PS3 to suffer (like some already have) just because forum members want their favourite console to overtake a despised enemy.

This winning and losing shit is garbage. I just want good games. I mean, if we're getting the games we're getting on PS3 with the position Sony are in now, imagine what we'd be getting if Sony were in Nintendo's position.

Grooski

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, come on.

Gee why would Activision choose to highlight the sales in the top two markets in the world and the major markets where their software sells in relevant numbers? MUST BE THEIR ANTI-SONY AGENDA.

Don't be bloody naive. This isn't about some damn fanboy rant.

These earnings reports are more about messages to shareholders than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if Bobby was justifying his recent criticism of Sony internally by releasing these figures. The fact he has "truncated" them makes me believe it more. Did EA release them? Did Konami, Namco, or any other report for FY? Vast majority wouldn't have.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Does Activision actually publish anything in Asia on consoles?

Blizzard PC games obviously do pretty well in Asia.

jedimike

Grooski said:

You're cherry picking your argument. There's also such a thing as stuffing the retailers. Don't assume those consoles are sitting in homes in the far ends of the world. They're most likely stacked in the storerooms of retailers.

user_nat said:
Does Activision actually publish anything in Asia on consoles?

Blizzard PC games obviously do pretty well in Asia.

Here was their breakdown by region.

Code:
Region			Revenue		% of Total

North America 		$ 557,000,000	54 %
Europe			$ 408,000,000 	39 %
Asia Pacific 		$ 73,000,000	7 %

Total 			$ 1,038,000,000 100 %

Grooski

Banned
jedimike said:
You're cherry picking your argument. There's also such a thing as stuffing the retailers. Don't assume those consoles are sitting in homes in the far ends of the world. They're most likely stacked in the storerooms of retailers.

Oh come on!

Both MS and Sony have probably indicated in retail a change in SKUs this fall and you think there's channel stuffing? Every retailer wanting to remain in business would be downsizing inventory for the slowest part of the year and to decrease inventory stocks for this change.

I'm not pressing an anti-Sony agenda on Acti's part, and these figures they release don't lie. I am saying its very strange to release a report cherry picking data for installed base. I believe the war of words between Sony and Acti goes a lot deeper at board level.

Grooski said:
this is cherry picking of a pretty high order.

It's "cherry picking" for a Western publisher whose games sell in the Western territories to show off numbers that leave out a region where said publisher has no meaningful presence and a bunch of bumfuck territories no one gives a shit about, all of which add together to cover maybe 20% at most of worldwide HD console sales, now? And this is driven by anti-Sony bias? Give me a break.

donny2112

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, come on.

Especially since this isn't the first time I've seen an Activision report with actual numbers from Europe. I saw one in the middle of last generation, and we all know that Activision was anti-PS2 last gen.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Grooski said:

North America = the United States and Canada. Also, these numbers are partially from ChartTrack, which lists Australian numbers.

if you really think significant numbers of consoles are sold in Central/South America, Russia, Africa, Asia and the Middle East, then... well I have a bridge to sell you.

jedimike

Grooski said:
Oh come on!

Both MS and Sony have probably indicated in retail a change in SKUs this fall and you think there's channel stuffing? Every retailer wanting to remain in business would be downsizing inventory for the slowest part of the year and to decrease inventory stocks for this change.

I'm not pressing an anti-Sony agenda on Acti's part, and these figures they release don't lie. I am saying its very strange to release a report cherry picking data for installed base. I believe the war of words between Sony and Acti goes a lot deeper at board level.

I think they stuffed retailers to get as close to projected fiscal year numbers as they could. Microsoft did this a couple years ago and I swear they had nearly 4 million units sitting at retailers. The next two quarters showed terrible sales even though the sales were steady for NPD.

donny2112

Danthrax said:
if you really think significant numbers of consoles are sold in Central/South America, Russia, Africa, Asia and the Middle East, then... well I have a bridge to sell you.

Depends on what numbers you'd call significant.

tenten

Banned
well, since these numbers are from activation, why even bother comparing the hd twins to the mighty wii?

just look at the software numbers from activation, the high install base of the wii means nothing for a publisher's standpoint.

markatisu

Danthrax said:
Do we have any idea what the sales in those territories are?

We should have Korean and South African sales from Nintendo, they have tried the last few years to get going in those markets

Grooski said:
Don't be bloody naive. This isn't about some damn fanboy rant.

These earnings reports are more about messages to shareholders than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if Bobby was justifying his recent criticism of Sony internally by releasing these figures. The fact he has "truncated" them makes me believe it more. Did EA release them? Did Konami, Namco, or any other report for FY? Vast majority wouldn't have.
Activision's market presence outside of North America and Europe is so small, it's no mystery why they don't mention them.

Are they cherry picking the data they're showing? Yeah, I think so, but not to sleight Sony (as donny mentioned this is not the first time they're reported figures like this), but instead to downplay the markets they haven't been able to crack.

I mean, are the hardware sales of these systems in Japan relevant to Activision when they can't even sell 5k of Guitar Hero?

Top Bottom