• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nadella: HoloLens Version 1 aimed at Enterprise Users not Gaming

Fat4all

Banned
So what do we think? How long until HoloLens has proper games?

3-4 years or so from now? I wonder when they'll give kits to developers.

I could see Hololens V2 launching with Minecraft AR for free. Minecraft could be the Minesweeper of HoloLens.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm just going to say I do not think this is going to get much game support if at all in the near future if they mean what I think they mean by enterprise. Still remember the MS touch table at around the 360s launch, the touch table you could play games on. We had the E3 Ruse demo. We had D&D. We had comments of a consumer version releasing as early as 2010. We only got an enterprise product. If this is the case again then hololens had no real place being at E3 as much as some would disagree. That's a big if though.
You and every other poster who used the "but they said the same thing before" keep forgetting, whether on purpose or not, that Microsoft has changed dramatically under the new leadership. You are holding Nadella responsible for previous leaders' actions, do you think that is right?

I could see Hololens V2 launching with Minecraft AR for free. Minecraft could be the Minesweeper of HoloLens.
Less than two years for Minecraft being in that same playable state. I don't think version 2 will tKe too long to come out, so proper AR games will probably be 3-4 years.

Synth

Before I reply to your post below, I want to make it clear that when I read "HoloLens V.1 aimed at Enterprise users not gaming" that translates in my head as "not usable for gaming". I'm going to type it that way. [Not used for gaming]. I'd like to avoid arguing over semantics because at this point I know that you aren't going to think that Microsoft was being "shady" and you know that I'm not going to think that Microsoft was straightforward in their messaging. But at the least we can aim to understand where the other person is coming from.

Right, thankfully due to this disclaimer, I don't actually have to reply to all the individual points in your post, because they all stem from one issue. You're internaly translating what Nadella said, into something that has a rather different meaning. A device being "aimed" at one demographic does not mean it is "not for" another. Nintendo's games are arguably "aimed" at kids, but that doesn't make them "not for" adults. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and a focus of say 80% on one doesn't prevent the potential 20% of another existing.

The showed Minecraft working on a HoloLens unit. He states that he bought Minecraft "to create a new genre of gaming for mixed reality". They have multiple other studio creating games.

The translation you're performing in your head is inaccurate and causing a very long-winded game of chinese whispers.

After seeing where the tech is at this point in time, and the FOV and whatnot, I'm guessing about 4 years.

2020 is a nice round number.

Fat4all

Banned
After seeing where the tech is at this point in time, and the FOV and whatnot, I'm guessing about 4 years.

2020 is a nice round number.

They said there was no chance of V1 improving FOV, right?

If V2 does improve that later, then it's even better for a consumer version.

Crayon

You and every other poster who used the "but they said the same thing before" keep forgetting, whether on purpose or not, that Microsoft has changed dramatically under the new leadership. You are holding Nadella responsible for previous leaders' actions, do you think that is right?

I don't think they're forgetting to see the change before believing in it.

Right, thankfully due to this disclaimer, I don't actually have to reply to all the individual points in your post, because they all stem from one issue. You're internaly translating what Nadella said, into something that has a rather different meaning. A device being "aimed" at one demographic does not mean it is "not for" another. Nintendo's games are arguably "aimed" at kids, but that doesn't make them "not for" adults. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and a focus of say 80% on one doesn't prevent the potential 20% of another existing.

The showed Minecraft working on a HoloLens unit. He states that he bought Minecraft "to create a new genre of gaming for mixed reality". They have multiple other studio creating games.

The translation you're performing in your head is inaccurate and causing a very long-winded game of chinese whispers.
Basically this. So much selective interpretation going on here.

etta

my hard graphic balls

What about all the changing that Nadella has already done in his tenure?

-Open Sourcing .NET core.
-Putting Office on iOS and Android (started in the Ballmer era actually)
-Updating their apps on other OSes before the Windows one
-Buying Mojang and keeping it multiplatform
-Use Visual Studio that can port iOS and Android apps (and help develop them) in the easiest way possible.
-Making Visual Studio Code available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
-Supporting Linux VMs in Azure
-Making Office Free for devices under 10.1 inches

I mean...there's more to the list but change has been happening. People can choose to ignore it or not familiarize themselves before they speak.

Zedox

-Open Sourcing .NET core.
-Putting Office on iOS and Android (started in the Ballmer era actually)
-Updating their apps on other OSes before the Windows one
-Buying Mojang and keeping it multiplatform
-Use Visual Studio that can port iOS and Android apps (and help develop them) in the easiest way possible.
-Making Visual Studio Code available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
-Supporting Linux VMs in Azure
-Making Office Free for devices under 10.1 inches

I mean...there's more to the list but change has been happening. People can choose to ignore it or not familiarize themselves before they speak.

Get people excited by the tech, and overshadow VR demonstrations demonstrations from the competitors.

So talking about VR (Oculus) as a partner and then showing Hololens makes them competitors? Oculus and Hololens have two very distinct ways to show information. I think more people are looking for a fight between VR and AR when they can coexist and probably will for the foreseeable future.

Three

I don't know what to say to this. Calm down. It's not like I'm accusing Nadella of a warcrime. Yes I think it's right to compare I didn't hold anyone responsible, I said if it turns out to be the same case. I'm just saying when enterprise is your focus or main user then it usually means it's very expensive and when hardware is very expensive and out of reach of general consumers and targeted mainly at enterprise like hospitals and retail they get little to no game support, much like the touch table. Therefore if that is the case like last time it has no place being at E3.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't know what to say to this. Calm down. It's not like I'm accusing Nadella of a warcrime. Yes I think it's right to compare I didn't hold anyone responsible, I said if it turns out to be the same case. I'm just saying when enterprise is your focus or main user then it usually means it's very expensive and when hardware is very expensive and out of reach of general consumers and targeted mainly at enterprise like hospitals and retail they get little to no game support, much like the touch table. Therefore if that is the case like last time it has no place being at E3.

Precisely.

They showed Minecraft working on a HoloLens unit. He states that he bought Minecraft "to create a new genre of gaming for mixed reality". They have multiple other studio creating games.

Sorry, but that's a bit dismissive, especially since plenty of others have come to the conclusion that their current statements don't match up with their E3 showing. You're interpreting "aimed at" your own way as well, so please don't act as though I'm purposefully muddying their words while you're just taking them at face value.

When a company makes qualifying PR statements like "it's not aimed at" then it means you will see very little if any support for that demographic. Period. We will not see the functionality that Microsoft showed off at E3 with the V.1 model. Period.

You're saying "Microsoft is just trying to be really precise and set proper expectations by clarifying it won't be aimed at gamers. But there's no confusion. It totally makes sense. There will be games for it. Gaming just won't be the focus"

You're saying "They have multiple other studio creating games."

I'm saying "By later clarifying that it isn't aimed at that demographic, Microsoft is admitting that V.1 won't be compatible with games, except for perhaps 1 or 2 titles".

I'm saying "Those games won't come out with V.1, based on this statement."

But I guess we'll see whose interpretation of "aimed at" is correct when the thing launches in 2018.

Synth

Sorry, but that's a bit dismissive, especially since plenty of others have come to the conclusion that their current statements don't match up with their E3 showing. You're interpreting "aimed at" your own way as well, so please don't act as though I'm purposefully muddying their words while you're just taking them at face value.

When a company makes qualifying PR statements like "it's not aimed at" then it means you will see very little if any support for that demographic. Period. We will not see the functionality that Microsoft showed off at E3 with the V.1 model. Period.

You're saying "Microsoft is just trying to be really precise and set proper expectations by clarifying it won't be aimed at gamers. But there's no confusion. It totally makes sense. There will be games for it. Gaming just won't be the focus"

I'm saying "By later clarifying that it isn't aimed at that demographic, Microsoft is admitting that V.1 won't be compatible with games, except for perhaps 1 or 2 titles".

But I guess we'll see whose interpretation of "aimed at" is correct when the thing launches in 2018.

I'm sorry but how is a full Windows 10 computer supposed to be incompatible with gaming? So you're saying that if I start developing a game for the HoloLens, I'll be unable to release it for V.1?

The worst case scenario here is that Minecraft gets released much later than I'm currently imagining (despite it looking pretty much feature complete already). There's simply no way "gaming" will be something the device can't do. In order for that to happen, it'd have to be unable to do "apps". I'm not making assumptions here, I'm just being logical. Having app support is having gaming support.

I honestly don't think you're giving much thought to the scenario you're trying to portray. You're basically making the device useless for everyone (enterprise included) in order to rule gaming out... and for what? To make that one line you're "translating in your head" work?

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC

Trup1aya

For crying out loud, Hololens is a full fledged, Windows 10 PC, that you can wear on your head. That's been clear since day 1. It can do everything your Laptop can do, including playing games...

even if a game isn't designed to take direct advantage of its AR properties, the Hololens is capable of "projecting" your PC/TV screen onto your wall... That alone makes it 'compatible' with existing PC games (so long as the games reqs don't exceed its specs). Also, if you are intending to stream games from Xbox one, that will be an option as well.

So no, MS isn't saying that V1 won't be compatible with games... That's you, attaching your own meaning to something for the sake of proving a ridiculous point. Hololens, like any other PC, can be used to play games, even if that isn't the intended use for it.

What was said is that V1 of the device will target developers, and enterprise. Presumably, so AR specifics applications can be created before its consumer release, so that mass production logistics can be figured out, hardware limitations can be fixed, and the price can be optimized for consumption...

So while it CAN play games, right now, V1 won't initially be aimed at Best Buy shoppers... This is really not an atypical approach to launching new tech. Desktops, laptops, smartphones, tablets ... They all 'targeted' enterprise before general consumers...There's no bait and switch... Just silly interpretation of a benign comment.

Rembrandt

Banned

Well, E3 is a conference and aimed towards enthusiasts past that. There are gaming applications on Hololens, so it's not really like the original surface. Luckily their presentation of as only like 10 mins.

Alx

But I'm sure Microsoft was as clear with their messaging as they intended to be.

I'm pretty sure the OP is about an interview where the CEO explains (among other things) what Hololens is and isn't. Even if some people and part of the press may have been confused a few weeks ago, it's hard to be more clear than that now.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
I'm pretty sure the OP is about an interview where the CEO explains (among other things) what Hololens is and isn't. Even if some people and part of the press may have been confused a few weeks ago, it's hard to be more clear than that now.
Yes, and I'm pretty sure that everybody who was caught up in the hype of the headlines in June are going to read a sentence in the middle of an exclusive interview in ZDNet a month later.

whippyice

Banned
Ever so slightly disappointing to hear, but at the same time, it makes total sense they get one of these out in the filed for people to use and test out then V2 or V3 they can work on the field of view and revise things that need improving

lets face it if it wasn't up to the standard we gamers are demanding these days then its not worth unleashing on us, we would only moan about it.

Smart move micro.

Alx

Yes, and I'm pretty sure that everybody who was caught up in the hype of the headlines in June are going to read a sentence in the middle of an exclusive interview in ZDNet a month later.

People who only read headlines and not detailed articles only have themselves to blame when they get the wrong ideas.

Horp

I've been in the business visualization field for over 6 years and worked (and working with) some of the biggest companies around, and I can tell you that the excitement for hololens is real. The possibilities with this technology is just crazy for business visualization. Its just a perfect tool for what we're doing. MS is doing the right move.

-Open So talking about VR (Oculus) as a partner and then showing Hololens makes them competitors? Oculus and Hololens have two very distinct ways to show information. I think more people are looking for a fight between VR and AR when they can coexist and probably will for the foreseeable future.

I was actually thinking of Morpheus, and the notion that Xbox has no VR coming for it. When Sony announced Morpheus it felt like Sony would yet again leave MS eating dust, and at this E3 I think MS did a good job in dispelling that.

Thank you.

whippyice

Banned
I was actually thinking of Morpheus, and the notion that Xbox has no VR coming for it. When Sony announced Morpheus it felt like Sony would yet again leave MS eating dust, and at this E3 I think MS did a good job in dispelling that.

i agree with this it was a strong showing from micro at e3, best Microsoft in years at e3 actually, was very please with what they showed, and before i get the fanboy label i own a ps4 as well but pc is always king lol

but yeah honestly it makes sense for Microsoft to do it this way too, though the rift isn't directly coming to xbox you can still function with xbox through the first which is kinda cool there's lots of potential there as well,

but on top of that they haven't had to invest all the R&D cost of making a console unit yet if it takes off who knows where it goes

Trup1aya

But this isn't an accurate comparison at all. MS is positioning Hololens to be the future of personal computing... They are simply going to be selling it to developers and enterprises before they start selling it to consumers... It's more akin to how Desktops, Laptops, and Smartphones were initially targeted to Enterprise first... It's nothing like the touch table, which was never intended to be mass market.

It has a place at e3 because MS is actively developing games for it, with intentions of selling it and those games to consumers... The first iteration, however, won't be the consumer version.

Zedox

Seriously people. The question was asked where he thinks the initial demand will be at. He said enterprise, and developers and that's where he will push. This notion of there won't be any gaming on the first version because that's where they will push is absolutely ridiculous. At //build/, they had developers (including game developers) make applications for Hololens, using Unity (ya know, the game development platform) and Visual Studio. They had the E3 presentation and a E3 booth just to show off Hololens and its capabilities for the device. But when he's asked a question about where he thinks the initial demand will be, he doesn't say games, but businesses and developers and all of a sudden there's backtracking?

I must be getting old or something because some of yall minds work weird.

Synth

It's honestly pretty fucking incredible. I certainly wouldn't have thought that on GAF of all places, I'd be reading the argument that a PC would be "incompatible" with games. I'm legitimately disappointed in some people here, lol.

whippyice

Banned
Seriously people. The question was asked where he thinks the initial demand will be at. He said enterprise, and developers and that's where he will push. This notion of there won't be any gaming on the first version because that's where they will push is absolutely ridiculous. At //build/, they had developers (including game developers) make applications for Hololens, using Unity (ya know, the game development platform) and Visual Studio. They had the E3 presentation and a E3 booth just to show off Hololens and its capabilities for the device. But when he's asked a question about where he thinks the initial demand will be, he doesn't say games, but businesses and developers and all of a sudden there's backtracking?

Well your not wrong, but the things that have been shown so far on holo other than Mincraft are all proof of concept, there is no real evidence to say that what has been seen so far will defo be out on the first verison, though i agree with you, probably best for everyone to not hope for to much on v1.0

Trup1aya

Well your not wrong, but the things that have been shown so far on holo other than Mincraft are all proof of concept, there is no real evidence to say that what has been seen so far will defo be out on the first verison, though i agree with you, probably best for everyone to not hope for to much on v1.0

That's all well and good. But the whole MS is lying, backtracking, being misleading, etc just doesn't make any sense... Hololens is a PC platform, and the hardware will initially be sold to developers and enterprise before its sold to consumers... People are flipping their lids, because a PC isn't "targeting" gamers on day one... It's a PC it can be used for a ton of things...

whippyice

Banned
That's all well and good. But the whole MS is lying, backtracking, being misleading, etc just doesn't make any sense... Hololens is a PC platform, and the hardware will initially be sold to developers and enterprise before its sold to consumers... People are flipping their lids, because a PC isn't "targeting" gamers on day one... It's a PC it can be used for a ton of things...

Youv got a point, but all i would ask is that people remember pc gaming isn't the only thing pc's are used for, sure it makes 100% sense what your saying and i agree. but i work in the pc hardware business as a purchasers and i suppose i have a bit of a difference in view now as a avid pc gamer and also a pc hardware source i see all kind of different business using computers for millions of different things, and i can see huge huge HUGE potential for other things first, business will pay millions for this kind of tech,

maybe.... ? i dunoo i'm going to hide now

don't shout at me, can't we all just get along lol

The average gamer reads cnet, gamesindustry.biz and gamespot?

Jlawok.gif

The readership of those sites saw the headlines after e3 but missed the previous five or six months of Hololens news? Do you really believe that? Really?

EDIT: Looking at those links, Fool.com article says:

Future uses for HoloLens extend far beyond gaming. The device was first unveiled in January with a video depicting a holographic user interface and navigation reminiscent of the one depicted in the 2002 science-fiction film Minority Report. However, pairing the technology with Minecraft is a brilliant way to encourage adoption and experimentation with the device. The game is one of the most popular in history -- still going strong after having sold more than 60 million copies as of October 2014 -- and its appeal reaches across traditional demographic divides.

Gaming hardware and software helped propel tech trends like high-speed Internet, HDTV adoption, and streaming video -- and interactive entertainment looks to have an especially big impact on shaping AR and VR technologies. These technologies, HoloLens included, probably won't have widespread commercial appeal until pricing comes down and the tech sees hardware and software improvements. But promising apps like Minecraft are promoting a display revolution to eager and influential consumer segments.

Expensive bit of kit with a wide range of potential uses that probably won't be a mass consumer product for a while, but can play games. i.e. aimed at the enterprise market. Seems pretty clear to me.

Second link is WindowsCentral, a site for Microsoft enthusiasts. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that their readership has probably heard of Hololens before E3.

Gamespot article makes it clear that "this was only an experience", "there was no gameplay involved" and "for now, it's just an experiment". Meanwhile the comments are things like:

Posted by Bane69 - 27 days ago
I see the current future with HoloLens being used in large amusement parks.

Posted by cantloginnow - 27 days ago
Its cool technology with a lot of potential inside and outside gaming.

Posted by SDecker425 - 27 days ago
Cant wait to watch a football game from any place in the stadium while never leaving my living room. Thanks MS this fat kid never has to go out side again.

Posted by dribblesbarbax - 27 days ago
From a gaming point of view, I am not sold. But its multimedia prospects look very good.

Posted by nickpeck36 - 27 days ago
@dribblesbarbax: That's just the thing, this isn't for gaming really. They said they will do some cool stuff with it regarding games but it wasn't meant to play full on games like we do on the TV. It's more about changing the environment you are in and multimedia / messaging / socializing ect. I'm sure as they figure out more things that they can do with it there we be some cool game related ideas tossed in there.

@amaneuvering: Its E3, its a tradeshow not a consumer event. The demo here is obviously more a proof of concept than anything else.

Posted by Remoticons - 28 days ago
i dont see AR having a space in a normal game.

they showed minecraft and i guess its fun for god mode, but i see this more or a tech for museums, sporting events, runways etc... as a game tool, why would you want less immersion than VR?

Those poor, mindless plebs drinking the Microsoft "it's a gaming device" koolaid :(

Then we have an AP piece on the Indian Express website, it's just a recap of the Microsoft conference with maybe a quarter of the total article dedicated to Hololens. It can be boiled down to "It's a headset that displays holograms in the real world, they played some minecraft on a table, we don't know anything about pricing or availablity". Are you saying that people will go out and spend a few hundred quid on an Xbone on the back of that piece without doing any other research? Or that they're going to start saving up to buy a Hololens at a mystery price at some unknown date in the future?

Although you said they probably only read the headlines, which was, in this case:

"E3 2015: Microsoft shows off HoloLens, backward compatibility for Xbox One"

How exactly is the reader going to work out what HoloLens is and be misled by Microsoft's allegedly unclear message from that headline alone?

Then the CNET report, which is just "Here's a video of them demoing minecraft on stage". Where is the unclear messaging from Microsoft? They're saying you can play Minecraft on the Hololens, a message conveyed by um, showing someone playing Minecraft on the Hololens. Anything else you've inferred from that link is you reading between imaginary lines.

Then finally we come to gamesindustry.biz and an article where fewer than 50 out of almost a thousand words are dedicated to the Hololens. I can see how the famously casual readership of gamesindustry.biz could be misled. Also, one of the top items on their front page right now reads "Microsoft: First version of HoloLens won't be for games" in bold font. I think their readers will be fine, don't you?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So it's Surface all over again (the big ass table, not the tablet). Which means a more competent company will swoop in and figure out how to exploit the technology for mass appeal and Microsoft will play catch up with the tech they pioneered. Just like tablets, multitouch, smartphones, etc.
You seem to confuse pre and post Satya Nadella Microsoft.

I just watched the Maya demo they apparently did last Monday. Really cool, there are example scenarios of mouse cursor moving from PC to "hologram", overlay on real objects, and different users placing comments in 3D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADhOKEbZ5Q

MAYA?! THAT'S NOT A GAME!

Love the Kinect 2.0 attached to the camera. What is it doing? How does it work in relation to the HoloLens? Does the HoloLens have a Kinect built into it?

Edit: Still would like to see this with the actual FOV, is there no way to demonstrate that from a persons point of view?

I can't wait for the world where everything is fully rendered with a complete natural FOV. That will literally be the future.

Alx

MAYA?! THAT'S NOT A GAME!

Love the Kinect 2.0 attached to the camera. What is it doing? How does it work in relation to the HoloLens? Does the HoloLens have a Kinect built into it?

A big part of the tech works based on 3D scanning the environment to locate and track the places where you want to display information, so yes there is kinect tech in the hololens, and they equipped the big camera with a kinect to get the same features.
One could assume that their AR engine would work with anything equipped with a depth camera, RGB camera and probably a few inertial sensors. I'm expecting to see a kinect-tablet being announced soon enough.

aaaaa0

I just watched the Maya demo they apparently did last Monday. Really cool, there are example scenarios of mouse cursor moving from PC to "hologram", overlay on real objects, and different users placing comments in 3D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADhOKEbZ5Q

One thing you might notice is it looks like they've solved the problem of real objects occluding virtual objects.

https://youtu.be/yADhOKEbZ5Q?t=2m4s

See how the motorcycle's real handlebars occlude the virtual parts of the model. You *can* notice a little clipping where the tracking precision falters a bit, but it's really good. You can buy into the illusion that the virtual objects are really attached to things in the physical world.

Biker19

Banned
VR will take time to gain traction. If it takes off, MS could bring out VR hardware with Xbox two, or support something like oculus rift.

But by the time that happens, no one will be interested because it's a "Been there, done that" sort of deal.

Look at Kinect with Xbox 360, then with Kinect 2 on Xbox One for example.

Synth

But by the time that happens, no one will be interested because it's a "Been there, done that" sort of deal.

Look at Kinect with Xbox 360, then with Kinect 2 on Xbox One for example.

If VR becomes a "been there done that" kinda thing in a short window... then MS doesn't lose much by skipping it.

Septic360

Banned
Di Caprio making preparations to use HoloLens.

leonardo-dicaprio-inception-squint-7110.png

The limited FOV is SUCH a shitty thing. Really kills the whole thing for me. I would even delay it until the tech really catches up with the glorious falafel of full vision.

Krejlooc

Banned
Looks like I'm going to get my hands on a Hololens this year thanks to my investors. I have to say we're pretty buzzed around the office at the moment.

Krejlooc

Banned
What industry are you in?

Well, it's hard to pin my company down to one single industry. Currently, we are doing medical research and development using virtual reality for MD Anderson, but we also are expanding into robotics and AI. And apparently Augmented Reality as well. And we also make video games.

So, "technology" if you're being broad, medicine and virtual reality and video games if you want to be specific.

Well, it's hard to pin my company down to one single industry. Currently, we are doing medical research and development using virtual reality for MD Anderson, but we also are expanding into robotics and AI. And apparently Augmented Reality as well. And we also make video games.

So, "technology" if you're being broad, medicine and virtual reality and video games if you want to be specific.

Sounds fun. I am envious.

PensOwl

Banned

MD Anderson? So you're based in Houston?
Nice to know that there are gaf members around here

Top Bottom